PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Push: Don't count out the Pacers just yet

indyblue47
04-11-2008, 09:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=playoffpush-080411

Playoff Push: Don't count out the Pacers just yet
By Maurice Brooks
ESPN.com

With Jermaine O'Neal back in the lineup, the Pacers will be a tough out down the stretch.
Remember the 1977 Bee Gees classic, Stayin' Alive?

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.

If the Pacers haven't adopted this as their official theme song yet, maybe they should.

Indiana stayed alive in its quest for the eighth and final playoff spot on Tuesday by turning away the visiting Hawks, 112-98. A victory by Atlanta would have eliminated the Pacers from postseason contention.

Instead, Indiana lives to sing another day.

With just four games remaining on their schedule, the Pacers, who own the tiebreaker against the Hawks by virtue of winning the season series, trail Atlanta by just two games.

The Pacers, who are 9-3 in their last 12 games, have received a big boost on the defensive end of the floor thanks to Jermaine O'Neal's return from a knee injury.

Up next for Indiana is a Friday trip to Philly to take on the red-hot Sixers, who are in a three-team fight with the Cavaliers and Wizards for the fourth spot in the East.

The Pacers close out the season at home Saturday against Charlotte, on the road Monday against Washington and at home Wednesday against the Knicks.

Meanwhile, the Hawks are in position to earn their first playoff berth since the 1998-99 season. Atlanta faces the Knicks on Friday before hosting the Celtics (Saturday) and Magic (Tuesday) and wrapping up the regular season in Miami on Wednesday.

The final team slugging it out for a playoff spot in the East is the Nets, who are four games behind the Hawks and two games in back of the Pacers. A loss by New Jersey against Toronto or a win by the Hawks on Friday, would mean that the Nets would miss the postseason for the first time since 2001.

Putnam
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Remember the 1977 Bee Gees classic, Stayin' Alive?

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.

If the Pacers haven't adopted this as their official theme song yet, maybe they should.

Please, don't ever do that again.

http://th59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/Fionn-Whelan/Simpsons/th_nedkill.gif

Anthem
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Philly's going to be a tough game. If we can get that one, though, we could actually win out.

MyFavMartin
04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Please, don't ever do that again.

http://th59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/Fionn-Whelan/Simpsons/th_nedkill.gif

Yeah, I had the image of JO on roller skates ala Huggy Bear.

CableKC
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Although every game is "Do or Die" for the Pacers....I think that tonight's game is important.....especially now that we are on the road against the Sixers and the Hawks are on the road against the Knicks.

andreialta
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
and the knicks are on a current 3 game win streak is what scares me. haha

i dont think the knicks are capable of a 4 game win streak.

if we loose tonight and hawks win are we out?

Kegboy
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
and the knicks are on a current 3 game win streak is what scares me. haha

i dont think the knicks are capable of a 4 game win streak.

if we loose tonight and hawks win are we out?

No, thanks to the tiebreaker. However, we'd have to win out and they'd have to lose out.

spreedom
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Dude... a Bee Gees reference? I really wasn't sure ESPN's basketball journalism could get any lamer, but they continue to raise (lower?) the bar.

NuffSaid
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I like the Pacers' chances. Keys to the game:

1. Defend the paint.

2. Win the offensive rebounding battle.

3. Control the tempo.

4. Turn the 76ers into a jump shooting team.

If they can do those things especially #4, they'll win. I just hope the Knicks continue to play spoiler as they've done in the past.

Oneal07
04-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Philly's going to be a tough game. If we can get that one, though, we could actually win out.

I guarantee we will blow this team out!!!

duke dynamite
04-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Nope, I'm Still Standing by Elton John is this Spring's theme song to the P's.

Just like in Naptown's video of the '94 playoffs.

Naptown_Seth
04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Based on the Philly and Washington game I'd say there is no way the Pacers will BACK INTO the playoffs. They'll either miss out or they'll prove they deserve a shot, at least as much as any team other than DET or BOS.

It's a tough road and worse considering they need help, but I'll admit I'm caught up in the idea of that Knicks game being a full house with playoffs on the line. That would do wonders for the local fanbase morale.