PDA

View Full Version : Will we make the playoffs? Predictions.

McKeyFan
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
If someone can turn this thread into a poll, that would be great.

My prediction is that we miss the playoffs by one game.

Also, if we tie with Atlanta, how is the tie-breaker decided?

Kstat
04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
whoever wins tomorrow will own the tiebreaker.

McKeyFan
04-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Duh.

:banghead:

CableKC
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM
More then likely not. Everything in the Universe has to fall our way in order for us to get that Playoff spot....we have to win tomorrow....the Celtics and Magic can't mail in their game against the Hawks on the Road and we have to go 5-0 for the rest of the season.

If we do beat the Hawks tomorrow.....secretly....I'm hoping that DW tells the Knicks to actually try their best to win at home against the Hawks while subtly suggesting to Zeke that he should sit Randolph and JCraw against us on the last game of the season :)

Will Galen
04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm already on record as saying we won't make it. Atlanta has to easy of a schedule, and we have to win out. Even if we win out, and I don't think we will, I think we will still be one back.

I was reading the Atlanta paper this morning and Atlanta fans have visions of moving up in the standings, not losing out to us.

Jonathan
04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I do not think we will make the playoffs, but the fact we refuse to tank the end of the season for a better draft pick makes me happy for this reason: We have something other to talk about rather than who we are going to draft.

Kstat
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
here's my prediction.

If the pacers win out, they will make the playoffs.

If they lose one more game at any point, they're done.

Speed
04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Pacers don't make the playoffs, but make me proud in trying so hard.

Bird trades up to a top 3 pick by trading Shawne and the following years #1 and much to everyones chagrin takes Love.

He won't be able to trade JO or Tinsley, but gets rid of Ike and Marquis Daniels.

NuffSaid
04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
The Pacers have to essentially win-out the season and hope the Hawks lose 3 of their remaining 5 games. The Hawks' three loses I'm counting on are Pacers, Celtics and Magic. If both scenarios playout as outlined, both teams would be 38-44. Since neither team are in the same division (Pacers, Center; Hawks, Southeast), the 1st tie-breaker (http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html) would be head-to-head play. (See bottom of linked web page for details). Headed into tomorrow's game (4/8), the Pacers have split the season series, 1-1. Should the Pacers win and go on to win-out the season, they'd hold the tie-breaker against the Hawks and take the 8th seed.

It's a long shot; you just gotta hope the Pacers continue to do their part and that Celtics and Magic at least do theirs and that these two teams don't cash it in just because they have their playoff positioning on lock.

(Sidenote: No matter what the Magic do from here on out they won't catch the Pistons to move up to the #2 seed, and as the Atlantic Division leader they can't fall to #4. The Celtics are in a similar boat. All they need is one more win to lock-up their #1 position no matter what the Pistons do. So, for the Pacers to secure the #8 seed they must first beat the Hawks and pray for lots of help...either two playoff bound teams need to continue to play for pride or some other team like the Knicks or Heat have to play spoilers. It's the only way the Pacers get in.)

Unclebuck
04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
No. The Hawks have too big of a lead. magic number being down to 2 - it could end tomorrow night . But I expect the pacers to likely beat the Hawks. But the Hawks still have the Knicks and heat to play - if they win those two no matter what else the pacers do or what else the Hawks do in their other 3 games, the Hawks make the playoffs.

Speed
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
No. The Hawks have too big of a lead. magic number being down to 2 - it could end tomorrow night . But I expect the pacers to likely beat the Hawks. But the Hawks still have the Knicks and heat to play - if they win those two no matter what else the pacers do or what else the Hawks do in their other 3 games, the Hawks make the playoffs.

If the Hawks win only those two, meaning Knicks and Heat, and the Pacers win out, they both are 38-44, doesn't that mean that the Pacers would get the 8th seed?

Thats acually possible, not probable though.

Hawks have to play Orlando and Boston in the other two games. Easily losses.

Pacers have Phillie (not a gimme at all), Charlotte, Washington, and NY

Its not inconceiveable, if they win tomorrow night. Again, not likely, but possible.

Of course, now that I'm actually looking at it as a possibilty they'll lose tomorrow and it'll be over.

On the other hand, if the Pacers win out, I agree with Kstat they'll make it.

count55
04-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Actually, I think the magic is 3 (with an asterisk). If the Hawks win tomorrow night, they'll actually clinch the 3. They'll get 1 for their win, 1 for our loss, and 1* for getting the tiebreaker.

However, if we win, then the magic number will be a solid 3 (no asterisk), because we would hold the tiebreaker.

I think we'll win tomorrow, but not make the playoffs. I believe they'll pick up two more wins, and that we'll end up losing at least 1 (probably Washington) to make up the three they need.

Moses
04-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't even really call it the playoffs.

More like a first round sweep from Boston.

Anthem
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
No.

JayRedd
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Nope.

I don't think we could have made the Elite Eight.

QuickRelease
04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
With all that has been said, tomorrow is as much a playoff game for the Pacers as any other they'll play all season. I'm curious to see how they'll respond under these circumstances, and in that environment. If we lay an egg, it's just a harsh reminder that we're not yet ready for playoff pressure.

Kofi
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
3 games back with 5 to go? Highly unlikely.

Ownagedood
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
No, we won't make it.. But that's a good thing.. We need the draft pick.

Kofi
04-07-2008, 04:15 PM

If we lose tomorrow, we're officially eliminated. With Atlanta owning the tie-breaker, we'd be down 5 games with only 4 games remaining. Tomorrow is literally do or die.

indyblue47
04-07-2008, 04:17 PM
The Indy Star has the magic # as 2.

I don't think we're going to make it.

Indianapolis_girly
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
unfortunately, I don't think we're gonna make it. they're really trying to make the playoffs, I can tell. But we'll come just short of 8th, IMO.

Hicks
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
If we lose tomorrow, we're officially eliminated. With Atlanta owning the tie-breaker, we'd be down 5 games with only 4 games remaining. Tomorrow is literally do or die.

We're down 3 now. If we lose we're down 4. So while not technically eliminated, they would have to lose all 4 games and we would have to win all 4 games. But then again, we'd not have the tie-breaker, so I guess it's the same difference. But officially we'd be down 4, not 5.

Shade
04-07-2008, 04:53 PM
We're down 3 now. If we lose we're down 4. So while not technically eliminated, they would have to lose all 4 games and we would have to win all 4 games. But then again, we'd not have the tie-breaker, so I guess it's the same difference. But officially we'd be down 4, not 5.

If we lose tomorrow, it's over. The best we could do is tie Atlanta and they'd own the tiebreaker.

We've become the old Hawks. :(

NorCal_Pacerfan
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
We don't make it. If we lose out by one game, what will be the scapegoat? Easy, the game Atlanta stole from Toronto.

JayRedd
04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/gonefishin_title.jpg

LoneGranger33
04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
We don't make it. If we lose out by one game, what will be the scapegoat? Easy, the game Atlanta stole from Toronto.

Or from the Heat when they still had Shaq (and other NBA players).

I think we will make the playoffs, but I also believe in Santa Claus and the "free market".

OnlyPacersLeft
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
my heart says yes but my brain says no...although the knicks did just beat the magic so who knows...a loss to the knicks (long shot) magic (who knows) boston (probably) and we win out and i can see us getting in. We unfortunetly fall to philly or washington down the stretch i think. :(

granger33
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Hawks would have to lose

1. Us
2. Boston
3. Orlando

and then if we win every game well make it

jeffg-body
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
No, there are just too few games left. The Pacers may go out on a positive note though, but Atlanta has been right there all of the way. I don't care who makes it or not between the three teams because Boston's three headed monster will take down any of us. Now I am just waiting for the season to end so we can focus on the draft.

Roaming Gnome
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
This is gonna suck, but I can see us beating the Hawks only to get hammered by Phila and Washington.

tora tora
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
No, and they don't deserve to make it either. Typical Pacers, always trying to make something happen when it's obviously too late.

idioteque
04-08-2008, 01:25 AM
No, and they don't deserve to make it either. Typical Pacers, always trying to make something happen when it's obviously too late.

Exactly. If Denver, GS, or Dallas doesn't get in, we have no business being there.

Mourning
04-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Exactly. If Denver, GS, or Dallas doesn't get in, we have no business being there.

Yup.

rexnom
04-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Whoa, whoa! Have we been watching the same team? Our two big "guns" have been out basically all year. Everyone else has been playing their asses off. Mike, Troy, Jeff, Danny definitely deserve to make it.

duke dynamite
04-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Whoa, whoa! Have we been watching the same team? Our two big "guns" have been out basically all year. Everyone else has been playing their asses off. Mike, Troy, Jeff, Danny definitely deserve to make it.
Ultimately making the playoffs will benefit this team more than anything. More PT=more experience. Just for Murph and Dun Dun's sake they need to taste what the playoffs are like. They'll want to work hard to come back next year. It's all about motivation!