PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal chafing at 20-minute limit

CableKC
04-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Move this if it has been posted already.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080406/SPORTS04/804060381/1088/SPORTS04

O'Neal chafing at 20-minute limit

IndyStar.com
By Mike Wells
Posted: April 6, 2008

A Jermaine O'Neal knew it was time but didn't want to go.

The Indiana Pacers forward saw Jeff Foster at the scorer's table waiting to check in. O'Neal looked over at coach Jim O'Brien and said, "Coach, let me stay in."

O'Neal wanted to remain in the game because his left knee, which caused him to miss 33 straight games, wasn't giving him any problems and the Milwaukee Bucks had trimmed what was a 13-point lead to two.

O'Brien responded by shaking him off like a pitcher does to a catcher in baseball when he doesn't like the sign.

O'Neal, who had 11 points in 19 minutes, slapped his hands together and took his place on the bench for the final eight minutes.

O'Neal's on a minute count, meaning he would have been taken out even if he was having a career night.

"No thought at all -- zero," O'Brien said when asked if he thought about keeping O'Neal in the game. "I've been told by our medical people that's his limit. He said he felt great. I'm glad he felt great. Maybe we can increase his minutes. When I'm told by our medical people he has 20 minutes, that's what we're going with."

O'Brien said O'Neal will likely be limited to 20 minutes off the bench during tonight's game against the Bucks at Conseco Fieldhouse. The Pacers hope they can increase his minutes to about 25 a game at some point this week.

The Pacers are being cautious because they don't want O'Neal, who has battled injuries in each of the past four seasons, to suffer any setbacks.

"It's tough," O'Neal said. "Coach wants me to play as much as I want to play, but the bigger picture is about longevity and next year, and being able to finish this year strong. It was tough coming out in the fourth quarter, but that's part of the plan."

O'Neal, who has played three games since returning to the lineup, said he doesn't keep track of his minutes because he doesn't want that to be a distraction.

"That 20 minutes creeps up on you real quick," he said. "and sometimes it creeps up on you in tough situations in the fourth quarter when another team is making its run and you have a rhythm. . . . I would have campaigned a lot more, but every time we made a basket, it eased me a little bit. I was fully prepared to campaign and say, 'Coach, put me in the game.' "

Shortening the bench

O'Brien gave a glimpse of what could come as the Pacers chase Atlanta for the eighth seed.

He used only eight players Friday against the Bucks. O'Neal, Travis Diener and Marquis Daniels were the only players to get time off the bench. Kareem Rush, Shawne Williams and David Harrison, who have all been part of the rotation at different times this season, didn't play.

"I had confidence in this eight," O'Brien said. "I have confidence in other people coming off the bench, but the tighter the rotation, the more our players get into a rhythm with one another. If we can keep it to eight and play at a high enough level at eight, we'll keep it at eight."
Good news is that JO'B stuck to his guns even when JONeal asked to keep him in.....the bad news is that we may have no choice but to play him for more then 20 minutes against the Hawks and the Wizards ( assuming we beat the Hawks at home ). It's "do or die" time for us now and I don't see any reason to rest JONeal if we don't win that game. He can go back to the 20 minutes a game after the Hawks game.

As for the 8-man rotation....I don't entirely agree with JO'B on limiting it to 8. I just think that Diener, Granger, Dunleavy, Murphy, JONeal and Foster get tired by the end of the 3rd QTR given the pace that we play. Adding in Shawne and Harrison for even 5-10 minutes a game could make a difference in resting the primary 8-rotational players that JO'B wants to finish.

Minor thing.....but I don't necessarily agree with the title of the article by Wells cuz I don't get the sense that JONeal is "chaffing" at playing only 20 minutes. I just get the sense that in the game against the Bucks, he didn't want to come out. Wells just appears to be "fanning the flames" with that title.

indyman37
04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree with JO'B 100% on this. If the medical staff says 20 minutes tops, then don't surpass that. JO should know that everytime he thinks he can come back that he just hurts himself more.

But seeing JO'B not backing down from a player is nice.

The eight man rotation is not a good idea. It doesn't serve any good. If teams are bad and probably won't make the playoffs, then they give the young guys more playing time. If you try and get into the playoffs, yes you want to play with your best guys on the floor, but not at the expense of wearing them out.

Will Galen
04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Minor thing.....but I don't necessarily agree with the title of the article by Wells cuz I don't get the sense that JONeal is "chaffing" at playing only 20 minutes. I just get the sense that in the game against the Bucks, he didn't want to come out. Wells just appears to be "fanning the flames" with that title.

I noticed that as well. but that's par for the course with Well's. There's probably three dozen people that contribute here on Pacer's digest that could be better at his job than he is. And some of them aren't even Pacer fans. Of course he isn't either, and that I don't like.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-06-2008, 05:04 PM
so JO can only play 5 mins a quarter? Yeesh! then i would deff make sure he plays THE END of each quarter...

OnlyPacersLeft
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Kareem/Shawne/David should all be playing no matter what. David/JO in that 2nd unit would be huge!

OnlyPacersLeft
04-06-2008, 05:10 PM
also forgot to add that yeah if JO plays 20 mins vs the hawks we lose...horford and smith will have a field day on the glass...

Gyron
04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
When I read the title I was goign to recommend gold bond medicated powder.....

BlueNGold
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Chafing...uh oh. Another injury? ;<)

He needs to get used to playing backup minutes. As much as I would like him to play, his body has proven it can't take the pounding and the team could do without him being a revolving door.

JayRedd
04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
That's the best verb you could come up with Star?

Will Galen
04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Chafing...uh oh. Another injury? ;<)

He needs to get used to playing backup minutes. As much as I would like him to play, his body has proven it can't take the pounding and the team could do without him being a revolving door.

It was just said on the radio during the game that once the medical staff okay's JO playing 25 minutes a game O'B will start him.

BlueNGold
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
It was just said on the radio during the game that once the medical staff okay's JO playing 25 minutes a game O'B will start him.

That's really ok with me. None of this really matters anyway. I'm glad JO is back and hope he does well. I just doubt he can play enough to bring any level of continuity to the team....something absolutely needed to contend in the league. The truth is, JO and JOb are gap fillers in Pacer history. Wait a couple years and we might start seeing the next iteration...

CableKC
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
The Medical Staff better OK JONeal to play 25 minutes by Tuesday.....as I mentioned before.....it's "Do or Die" time against the Hawks. We need our best players on the floor and if he's not out there....then there will be little point to play him for 20 minutes for the rest of the season.

Shade
04-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Did anyone else notice that JO played an extra 15 seconds tonight? :devil: :whistle: ;)

TheSauceMaster
04-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm sure the Pacers medical staff is just being cautious with his playing time. Obviously if he gets hurt more before the end of the season , his trade value would be very , very bad. That's if the Pacers are thinking about trading him this summer. :hmm:

CableKC
04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm sure the Pacers medical staff is just being cautious with his playing time. Obviously if he gets hurt more before the end of the season , his trade value would be very , very bad. That's if the Pacers are thinking about trading him this summer. :hmm:
This leads me to believe that JONeal's injury must really be bad and that he hasn't fully recovered.

If JONeal's injury is so bad that he can't take an extra 10 minutes of playing time against the Hawks tomorrow.....right when we need him the most.......then we should shut him down for the rest of the season.

Ballerzfan
04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
When I read the title I was goign to recommend gold bond medicated powder.....

I was thinking "Bag Balm" myself...

rexnom
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Did anyone else notice that JO played an extra 15 seconds tonight? :devil: :whistle: ;)
Obviously Obie is giving in to his demands.

Putnam
04-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I was thinking "Bag Balm" myself...

http://th108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/nuther_dog/th_17.jpg

Good stuff!

JayRedd
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn’t tell you to put the balm on. Why’d you put the balm on?

Anthem
04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn’t tell you to put the balm on. Why’d you put the balm on?
Had to. Else I'd get the hose again.

Naptown_Seth
04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
A BALM?!! Whadda giving him a balm for? It might bite him.

What?

That's a dangerous animal. Quick! Throw it into the trough.

No it isn't.

Yes it is, it's great big....

No no no, it is an ointment.

Aww, there is an animal called a balm...or did I dream it?

jeffg-body
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
It may be more of a conditioning issue rather than the knee not responding well.

duke dynamite
04-08-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm sure even though some may be worried about his point production from Sunday evening, but he did pull down 9 rebounds the other night. Poor guy only made one free-throw for 1 point all game.

I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think there was any lack of perfomance on O'Neal's side. I really think he wanted to show how far he could go defending and taking a charge or two more than scoring. I mean he did do that the past 3 games prior.

I am unsure if we will see him in the starting line up tonight. We need to go ahead and use Murphy and Foster to slow down Atlanta's offense from the get-go.

Mourning
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
The Medical Staff better OK JONeal to play 25 minutes by Tuesday.....as I mentioned before.....it's "Do or Die" time against the Hawks. We need our best players on the floor and if he's not out there....then there will be little point to play him for 20 minutes for the rest of the season.

Disaggree. JO needs to get much more structurally "healthy" and pushing him to more minutes now would be risky and make all the waiting for him to come back from his injury pointless if he does re-injure himself again, because of playing him too many minutes.

Longterm is what we have to look at. If we don't make the postseason this year because of JO not beying ok'ed to play 25, 30 or 35 minutes then so be it.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: