PDA

View Full Version : Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

jcouts
04-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3329631)

Indiana freshman guard Eric Gordon is leaving the Hoosiers for the NBA, according to a report from the Indianapolis Star.

The Big Ten's leading scorer and conference freshman of the year will become the fifth of Indiana's regular starters to leave the program, handing new coach Tom Crean a clean slate heading into his inaugural season with the Hoosiers.

Indiana is scheduled to issue a release Friday afternoon detailing when and where Gordon will make his formal announcement, the Star reported.

Gordon, who averaged 20.9 points, lived up to his billing as a top prospect in his initial 18 games but lost his shooting touch down the stretch, making only 18.6 percent of his 3-point field goal attempts (13-of-70) after Indiana's much-publicized Feb. 7 win against Illinois -- the school Gordon had initially committed to attending before choosing Indiana.

His final game in crimson and cream saw Gordon shoot just 3-of-15 from the field and 0-of-6 from the 3-point line in the Hoosiers' disappointing loss to Arkansas in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Despite his late shooting troubles, however, Gordon will leave the school as the most prolific freshman scorer in IU history and the first Hoosiers freshman to average more than 20 points per game.

Gordon, who garnered a unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection, follows seniors D.J. White, Lance Stemler, and recently dismissed Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis out of the Assembly Hall doors.

There is still the possibility that Crean could bring back both Bassett and Ellis, however. The two were reprimanded by then-interim coach Dan Dakich after first missing a pre-arranged appointment last week, and then kicked off for not reporting for a 6 a.m. punishment run the following day.

According to Chad Ford's Big Board on ESPN.com, Gordon is ranked eighth among Ford's top 100 NBA draft prospects.

----------------------------------------------------

I personally don't want Gordon anywhere near the Pacers.

QuickRelease
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I personally don't want Gordon anywhere near the Pacers.

Why is this? Do you think he'll be a bust? I personally thought it would be wise for him to work with Crean for a year. He knows how to feature talent like Gordon's within the framework of the team (how he did with D-Wade). But, it is what it is now. We'll see how he does.

clownskull
04-04-2008, 04:29 PM
can't say i'm surprised in the slightest. i think most everyone knew gordon was a one and done.
he probably wouldn't have even gone to college for a even a year if it hadn't have been for the rule put in place. and yes it would definitely help for him to stick around at least one more year but that means nothing anymore. teams take players for their upside or potential to be good. how ready they really are is of little to no consequence.
i really think he is gonna struggle. he is going to be going up against guys of pretty similar quickness but they will be taller and better defenders than he has faced and he will find out that the stuff he tried in high school and his one year of college (with a pretty weak schedule) doesn't work nearly as often in the pros.

Jonathan
04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I would love for The Pacers to draft Gordan at the 12th Pick. He would thrive in JOB's system. He takes the ball to rack and finishes; The Pacers need that.

tdubb03
04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Gordon's going to lead the league in TOs if he plays regular minutes.

I don't want him on the Pacers, not that I think he'd be on the board anyway.

Jonathan
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Gordon's going to lead the league in TOs if he plays regular minutes.

I don't want him on the Pacers, not that I think he'd be on the board anyway.

Gordan does take and extra step when he drives the ball everytime, but the NBA does not worry about that. He will also not be the focal point of his offense. (I HOPE). IF he is on the board when we draft 10th-12th you would not take him?

grace
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Why is this? Do you think he'll be a bust? I personally thought it would be wise for him to work with Crean for a year.

Yes to all of the above.

Rajah Brown
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
A/o today, here are the top-5 NBA guys in turnovers per game:

1. Wade
2. Nash
3. Kidd
4. Williams
5. James

Not many scrubs on that list are there. Draw your own conclusions.

Slick Pinkham
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I think that most people will be surprised by his slide on draft day, unless he performs really well in tryouts.

College players and college fans never quite get the idea that undersized 2-guards will never ever be in short supply.

For every Allen Iverson or Gilbert Arenas there are about a dozen Eddie House/Luther Head/Juan Dixon types and about two dozen guys you never remember because they didn't stick. I realize EJ is stronger and leaps better than that House/Head/Dixon trio (though may be slower too).

I know EJ is listed in some places at 6'3" and even has been mentioned at 6'4" and if that turns out to be legit, it might help him. Otherwise he is a 6'2" shooting guard who scored at will on college kids, at times, like Eddie House did (61 points in a game).

He needed to pick a school where he would be a PG and stay there until he could handle it.

But if he gets a guaranteed 3-year payday, good for him (and his Dad, who seems to call the shots for his mealticket).

tdubb03
04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
IF he is on the board when we draft 10th-12th you would not take him?

I would, you have to. Too much potential not to. If his shot selection, ball handling, and passing don't improve a lot though I wouldn't be happy about it.

Rajah Brown
04-04-2008, 05:29 PM
tdubb-

I can take or leave EJ. But can you recall any 19 yr old who's
shot selection, ball handling and passing didn't improve to an
appreciable degree as their career evolved ?

In EJ's case, it may not improve enough to ever allow him to
reach his potential. But he'll be getting markedly better coaching
from the day he sets foot on an NBA practice court. That alone
should make a big difference.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Gordon was a bust as a Hoosier.. But I still think in about 2 or 3 years he will be a pretty solid pro player.. But still don't want him on the Pacers.. A ball hog who can't tell when he's cold.. He just shoots and shoots and shoots.. He also turns it over way too much..That's what killed the Hoosiers.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
A/o today, here are the top-5 NBA guys in turnovers per game:

1. Wade
2. Nash
3. Kidd
4. Williams
5. James

Not many scrubs on that list are there. Draw your own conclusions.

That's because those guys always have the ball.. Which means they have a higher chance to commit turnovers.. Gordon will NEVER be in a category of these guys.

I see Gordon like a Deshawn Stevenson (SPL?)..Which is a major BUST compared to what everyone is putting him as.. But I think he will be a solid bench player on a good team..

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how a 6'2" shooting guard fairs in the NBA. Let's just say there are not many of them...and I expect him to slide down the chart.

He will not have the strength and quickness advantages that he does today. He will not power through most NBA centers. He will have great difficulty guarding taller and stronger players night in and night out.

He was a bust his last college game and I expect much the same at the next level. BTW, Eddie House is a much, much better shooter.

DisplacedKnick
04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm just glad Isiah's not running the Knicks any more - Gordon is exactly the kind of player he'd take.

Rajah Brown
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Ownagedood-

Thanks man. I'd have never figured out that guys who have the
ball alot tend to commit alot of turnovers if you hadn't passed
it along. Especially since THAT WAS MY POINT !

As for EJ being a bust at IU. Maybe so, if you consider a kid who
was the difference between them winning 25 games and 18-20
a bust.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Ownagedood-

Thanks man. I'd have never figured out that guys who have the
ball alot tend to commit alot of turnovers if you hadn't passed
it along. Especially since THAT WAS MY POINT !

As for EJ being a bust at IU. Maybe so, if you consider a kid who
was the difference between them winning 25 games and 18-20
a bust.
No, EG (Ya, it's Eric GORDON, not Jordon) is not the reason they won more games.. I would take DJ White, Ellis, Basset, Stemler, Crawford all before Gordon. I wish Illinois would have gotten him.. I'm positive you either didn't watch the Hoosiers play or don't like the Hoosiers, otherwise you would have noticed how much he hurt them.. I would yell "PASS THE BALL" in most of the games.. He had a horrific streak of not making anything, yet he still threw up deep prayers like he was the best shooter ever.. He was a joke.. He's got potential if he becomes a smart player for the pros.. Which is why I think he will turn out ok.. But not like everyone is saying.

EDIT: You could make a case it was his wrist, but I'm willing to bet it was just his true colors coming out..

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
No, EG (Ya, it's Eric GORDON, not Jordon) is not the reason they won more games.. I would take DJ White, Ellis, Basset, Stemler, Crawford all before Gordon. I wish Illinois would have gotten him.. I'm positive you either didn't watch the Hoosiers play or don't like the Hoosiers, otherwise you would have noticed how much he hurt them.. I would yell "PASS THE BALL" in most of the games.. He had a horrific streak of not making anything, yet he still threw up deep prayers like he was the best shooter ever.. He was a joke.. He's got potential if he becomes a smart player for the pros.. Which is why I think he will turn out ok.. But not like everyone is saying.

EDIT: You could make a case it was his wrist, but I'm willing to bet it was just his true colors coming out..

When ppl say EJ its not relating him to Jordan. I stopped reading after you said that BTW

Pacersfan46
04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
What a dummy.

-- Steve --

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
When ppl say EJ its not relating him to Jordan. I stopped reading after you said that BTW
I said Jordon because that's what it would be with a J instead of a G.. Michael spelled his name with an A not an O.. Bron/Kobe are the only ones worth even talking about being the same as MJ.. I'm just saying, it's EG, don't throw in a random J in there..

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I said Jordon because that's what it would be with a J instead of a G.. Micheal spelled his name with an A not an O.. Bron/Kobe are the only ones worth even talking about being the same as MJ.. I'm just saying, it's EG, don't throw in a random J in there..

EJ is not a play on MJ at all.

And thats how I know you know nothing about the kid and probably haven;t seen him play more than twice.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
EJ is not a play on MJ at all.

And thats how I know you know nothing about the kid and probably haven;t seen him play more than twice.
Lol, ok, put the weed away and stop hanging out with Harrison.. I JUST SAID THAT IT HAS NOTHIN TO DO WITH JORDAN.. WOW

And I only missed two Hoosier games all year.. Thanks for playing.

Rajah Brown
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Ownagedood-

He goes by 'EJ'. Everyone calls him EJ. His family calls him EJ. It
stands for Eric Jr. Do you get it now ?

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Ownagedood-

He goes by 'EJ'. Everyone calls him EJ. His family calls him EJ. It
stands for Eric Jr. Do you get it now ?

Hey, your back! Ya, his family calls him EJ, but I don't know of anyone else on the outside that did it.. All of my buddies use EG or Gordon.

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
In 5 years, no one will know what EJ stands for...lol

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 06:54 PM
In 5 years, no one will know what EJ stands for...lol
Lol, agreed.. Except for, of course, his family.

jcouts
04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I just don't see Gordon's skills and potential translating to stardom in the NBA. Players who become stars in the NBA consistently make the college game look easy and are next to impossible to scout at the college level.

Gordon isn't that quick, he isn't that fast, he's an inconsistent shooter, his defense is subpar at best, he's not good in the post, and his ballhandling isn't that great either. What about all of that translates to stardom in the NBA?

Also, add in that he consistently makes stupid decisions with the ball, takes bad shots, is soft and rarely looks at anything on the court other than the basket.

Every game I watched this year, there was one common theme, and that was Gordon trying to make a bunch of moves and do a bunch of things that he wasn't good enough to make or execute...most of them resulted in poor shots or stupid turnovers.

Anyone who takes him in the lottery is going to regret it down the road. If he were available late in the first round, he might be worth it to a team looking for a guy to come in off of the bench and provide a scoring punch. But, I see absolutely no reason to waste a lottery pick on him.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I just don't see Gordon's skills and potential translating to stardom in the NBA. Players who become stars in the NBA consistently make the college game look easy and are next to impossible to scout at the college level.

Gordon isn't that quick, he isn't that fast, he's an inconsistent shooter, his defense is subpar at best, he's not good in the post, and his ballhandling isn't that great either. What about all of that translates to stardom in the NBA?

Also, add in that he consistently makes stupid decisions with the ball, takes bad shots, is soft and rarely looks at anything on the court other than the basket.

Every game I watched this year, there was one common theme, and that was Gordon trying to make a bunch of moves and do a bunch of things that he wasn't good enough to make or execute...most of them resulted in poor shots or stupid turnovers.

Anyone who takes him in the lottery is going to regret it down the road. If he were available late in the first round, he might be worth it to a team looking for a guy to come in off of the bench and provide a scoring punch. But, I see absolutely no reason to waste a lottery pick on him.
You took my thoughts and put them into words. Haha, I couldn't think of the best way to say it..Nicely done.

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Can anyone name many good 6'2" NBA SG's?

BTW, Eddie House is not a bad player...certainly a better shooter, but the expectations for Mr. Gordon are higher. I'm talking about at least a Ben Gordon level player...who is listed at 6'3" btw and gets abused...and cannot hold down a starting SG position...with Larry Hughes listed as starter. Yet, I have some serious doubts EJ will be better than Ben.

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Can anyone name many good 6'2" NBA SG's?

BTW, Eddie House is not a bad player...certainly a better shooter, but the expectations for Mr. Gordon are higher. I'm talking about at least a Ben Gordon level player...who is listed at 6'3" btw and gets abused...and cannot hold down a starting SG position...with Larry Hughes listed as starter. Yet, I have some serious doubts EJ will be better than Ben.

when did he become 6'2?

AesopRockOn
04-04-2008, 07:23 PM
So has everyone but mto given up on Gordon? I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 07:24 PM
when did he become 6'2?
Ya, he is really small, but can't dribble.. Which means he won't make it in the NBA unless he either goes through a late growth spurt or suddenly gets much better at dribbling..

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I still say he was injured and making bad basketball decisions (not drivin to the basket near enough) both of which can be easily corrected

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 07:26 PM
So has everyone but mto given up on Gordon? I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?
He went through a HORRENDOUS shooting slump.. Something like 8-45 or around that from 3 point line..While at the same time not making some of the easy shots either and just not playing smart.. So that opened everyones eyes.. May have been because of injury but I'm not buying it..

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Ya, he is really small, but can't dribble.. Which means he won't make it in the NBA unless he either goes through a late growth spurt or suddenly gets much better at dribbling..

but he's not 6'2. what are you talking about? theres a big difference between 6'2 and 6'4

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
He went through a HORRENDOUS shooting slump.. Something like 8-45 or around that from 3 point line..While at the same time not making some of the easy shots either.. So that opened everyones eyes..

with a cast on...

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
when did he become 6'2?

Ok, I'll give you an inch but it's not gonna matter.

Ben Gordon is very, very clutch...and still doesn't start. Why one might ask? Because he can't defend the position. He is too short and he's not Allen Iverson. If Iverson wasn't capable of scoring 40ppg on a nightly basis, he wouldn't start either.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
but he's not 6'2. what are you talking about? theres a big difference between 6'2 and 6'4
WOAH.. Lol, he is by no means 6'4! He's 6'3 MAX.. They normally list players a little bigger than they are if people say they are too small.. I'm guessing he really is 6'2. I have never stood next to him, so idk.. But he sure does look small compared to some other college kids.

Robertmto
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
WOAH.. Lol, he is by no means 6'4! He's 6'3 MAX.. They normally list players a little bigger than they are if people say they are too small.. I'm guessing he really is 6'2.

I'm 6'1. I've stood next to him on more than 3 occasions, he's at LEAST 2 inches taller than me. i was at nose level

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
EJ is supposedly a great shooter but only shot 33% from three. JT can shoot that. He will need to dramatically improve that from the deeper NBA range to be an outside threat at the next level. I seriously doubt that will happen.

Instead, he will attempt to improve his poor 43% midrange game and have his shortness swatted by bigger defenders.

BTW, an NBA defense is not going to foul this guy and let him live at the line. Even 6'6" guys have trouble getting it up over the defense. They will block his little shots as he makes his drive.

Career backup at best.

Ben Gordon is his ceiling.

Ownagedood
04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
with a cast on...
IF you could call that a cast..:rolleyes:

It's just wrapping.. Looks a lot like the band Reggie always wore *see avatar*

It can't affect a shot that much..

EDIT: Just remembered.. The wrap was on his NON shooting hand anyways..

Kofi
04-04-2008, 07:44 PM
The Gordon apologists will make any and every excuse in the book. That's just the way things are, there's really no sense in wasting time arguing with them.

With that said, if we could get Gordon in the 9-12 range, I'd be o.k with it. He's not my #1 want, but he does have the potential to be a big time scorer and he was considered a top-8 pick for basically the entire season.

jcouts
04-04-2008, 07:45 PM
one other thing I forgot to include...he can shoot from NBA 3 point range, he just can't seem make anything on a consistent basis from NBA 3 point range...

BlueNGold
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
The Gordon apologists will make any and every excuse in the book. That's just the way things are, there's really no sense in wasting time arguing with them.

With that said, if we could get Gordon in the 9-12 range, I'd be o.k with it. He's not my #1 want, but he does have the potential to be a big time scorer and he was considered a top-8 pick for basically the entire season.

He's a first round pick for sure. He is an explosive player who will probably put some numbers up in the NBA. However, as some realize, his potential is limited in the NBA...unless he improves quite a bit in a number of areas. I don't see him as a starter in the NBA. If lucky, he becomes John Starks or Ben Gordon...but the odds are still pretty long.

tdubb03
04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
tdubb-

I can take or leave EJ. But can you recall any 19 yr old who's
shot selection, ball handling and passing didn't improve to an
appreciable degree as their career evolved ?

That's what I'm saying. I didn't mean for those skills to be improved by his rookie year, but by his 3rd season or so. I just don't think he'll reach his potential. I really think a better shooting Ben Gordon is his ceiling.

madison
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
EJ is not a PG. He's too small and without the shooting skills to earn lots of NBA minutes at the 2. He was unable to carry IU when they played top-50 teams, something truly special college players do. He seemed especially bothered by players guarding him who were taller than himself. His basketball decision-making ability was definitely questionable, and Sampson didn't seem to care -- which didn't help him learn anything. If he turns out to be a 'force' in the NBA, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a Hoosier season tix holder. I say that so you know I've seen him play, plenty, and from near the floor. It's OK to disagree with this point of view, but don't bother to say I didn't see him play more than once or twice on TV.

clownskull
04-05-2008, 01:16 AM
yes, he did struggle against taller opposition. i think i agree with the ben gordon ceiling although i think he will more likely be fred jones part2.

mb221
04-05-2008, 04:15 AM
No, EG (Ya, it's Eric GORDON, not Jordon) is not the reason they won more games.. I would take DJ White, Ellis, Basset, Stemler, Crawford all before Gordon.

I mean, Stemler? Really? Crawford and Ellis are pretty huge stretches to take over EJ as well. Even Bassett, who yes carried IU on quite a few occasions and was definitely one of the top 3 players, had plenty of games where he was just as cold as Gordon. Don't know how you could ever say Gordon was less important than Ellis/Stemler/Crawford though, that's just simply not true.

Kraft
04-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Wow, I'm no Gordon fan, but there's some serious venom here.

I think he's more likely to be a Cuttino Mobley-type player. Like Cat, EJ has plenty of athleticism, a power-jump dribble-drive game and a good outside stroke. He'll also be a solid defender once he gets some more coaching, but players will be able to shoot over him. Good perimeter defenders will be able to shut EJ down, though, and that's the main reason he won't be a star. That, and his passing skills are questionable.

At 8-12, though, that type of player is probably a good pickup if a desirable point guard isn't on the board. I probably take Beasley, Rose, Bayless, Brook Lopez, Mayo, Jordan and Griffin over Gordon talent-wise. And maybe you bump EJ up over a couple of those guys for character/roster reasons.

Rajah Brown
04-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Call me a Gordon apologist if you like. But here's a question. How do
we know that the 14-15% he shot from '3' the last 8-9 games (with
a 'broken' left wrist) is a more valid indicator than the 42% he shot
from '3' in the first 25 or so games ?

DisplacedKnick
04-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm with folks who put Gordon as a marginal top ten pick, probably not a top 5. And for those who can step into the time machine, remember Vinnie Johnson?

He'll be extremely tough to stop on offense - he's so strong and able to take contact plus, even though he had a cold stretch he certainly can shoot.

Here's the problem. I watch him play and I don't see a guy who'll ever become an NBA PG. Others may disagree and that's fine but I just don't see the skill set - to me he's a SG.

Been a lot of discussion about his size making it impossible for him to defend. Well, it makes it tough but it doesn't make it impossible.

A short SG can defend taller guys but he has to be extremely quick-footed. The best guy I remember at this was David Wesley. The guy was quick enough that he could really crowd SG's - they couldn't clear space. Even though they could go over him it wasn't comfortable because his hands were good enough that he could also make a good play for the ball and they never seemed to shoot in rhythm. Reggie, Allen Houston, Ray Allen - they all had trouble with him. He could be posted up but once the rules changed a bit even that became less of an issue.

David Wesley was one of the better defensive SG's in the game and he was only 6-1.

So Gordon's size works against him but his size doesn't doom him. I don't know if he can be an effective defender at the 2 but I don't know that he can't either. But I don't see him as a full-time NBA PG.

duke dynamite
04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I've got a small feeling that he will be the Brady Quinn of this year's NBA draft.

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Call me a Gordon apologist if you like. But here's a question. How do
we know that the 14-15% he shot from '3' the last 8-9 games (with
a 'broken' left wrist) is a more valid indicator than the 42% he shot
from '3' in the first 25 or so games ?
Well heres for starters.. People who know how to shoot the ball use only one hand to shoot it, the other is just for emotional support.. So his LEFT wrist being messed up would not hinder his shot.. Maybe in his head it would, but seriously, most guys wouldn't shoot any different if they just dropped their non shooting hand down off the side of the ball..Unless they couldn't hold/palm/balance the ball on their shooter hand.

idioteque
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't blame Gordon for leaving early at all, and just because I don't blame him doesn't mean that I think the Pacers should draft him.

As bad as the played at the end of last season, he's still more or less guarenteed to be a lottery pick. Remember Josh McRoberts, who was more or less deemed a lottery pick after his freshman year, decided to go back to Duke, barely got drafted, and is now in the NBDL? Had he come out a year earlier, he would have had millions in guarenteed money. Now, not so much.

So good tactical move by EG.

Rajah Brown
04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Ownagedood-

So, the guy is your avatar is only using his left hand as an
emotional crutch ? Right....

JayRedd
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Well heres for starters.. People who know how to shoot the ball use only one hand to shoot it, the other is just for emotional support.. So his LEFT wrist being messed up would not hinder his shot.. Maybe in his head it would, but seriously, most guys wouldn't shoot any different if they just dropped their non shooting hand down off the side of the ball..Unless they couldn't hold/palm/balance the ball on their shooter hand.

Says the guy with Reggie in his avatar... ;)

mrknowname
04-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Gordon was a bust as a Hoosier.. But I still think in about 2 or 3 years he will be a pretty solid pro player.. But still don't want him on the Pacers.. A ball hog who can't tell when he's cold.. He just shoots and shoots and shoots.. He also turns it over way too much..That's what killed the Hoosiers.

freshmen of the year in the big 10 and averaging 20 ppg is a bust???????

obviously you are a gordon hater for whatever reason.

what killed IU was Sampson, he gave his players too much freedom and the team always played sloppy. IU wouldn't have been half as good if EJ wasnt on the team anyways. lol you're not as smart as you think you are

anyways. lots of gordon haters on here. id be happy if he fell to us. we really need athletecism in the backcourt. plus he's a go to scorer and he can penetrate and get to the free throw line, both are something this team currently lacks. and no he probably won't ever be a lock down defender but he won't be a liability like dunleavy or tinsley.

Will Galen
04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
when did he become 6'2?

I don't want Gordon because he's not what we need.

However, people are panning him because of his height and they don't even know his height. How absurd is that?

I noticed Rose was a lot bigger than Augustine this past week, and he's (Rose) listed at 6'3 and nobody disputes it, yet there are pictures of Gordon and Rose together and Gordon is visibly taller than Rose. (One to two inches)

Before people pan him because of his height I think it would be good to know what it is. I'm going to wait until pre-draft camp where he will get measured before claiming he's not big enough.

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Ownagedood-

So, the guy is your avatar is only using his left hand as an
emotional crutch ? Right....

Yep, see how he's holding the ball? The left hand is only holding the ball straight.. You can do the same thing by palming it. I have done it, and my shot wasn't effected at all.. When learning to shoot correctly you actually are supposed to tie your none shooting hand behind your back.. So..play basketball much?

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 02:50 PM

However, people are panning him because of his height and they don't even know his height. How absurd is that?

I noticed Rose was a lot bigger than Augustine this past week, and he's (Rose) listed at 6'3 and nobody disputes it, yet there are pictures of Gordon and Rose together and Gordon is visibly taller than Rose. (One to two inches)

Before people pan him because of his height I think it would be good to know what it is. I'm going to wait until pre-draft camp where he will get measured before claiming he's not big enough.
Rose is probably slouching.. Rose is 6'4 Gordon is measured about 6'3

No joke.. Rose is the taller guy.. Besides, why even compare them anyway? Rose is actually a PG, Gordon is a SG stuck in a PG body.. At the same time, Gordon has more muscle mass than Rose.. Because Rose is an inch taller but about 35 lbs. less.

mrknowname
04-05-2008, 02:52 PM

and exactly what do we need????????

a shooter, a go to scorer, and someone who can penetrate and get to teh free throw line???? if so, then yes he is what we need

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 02:57 PM

a shooter, a go to scorer, and someone who can penetrate and get to teh free throw line???? if so, then yes he is what we need
Watch a Hoosiers game.. Most people on here don't and those are the people that think he's god..He's alright, I was one who talked about how good he was when he first came.. But as I watched him play I saw tons of flaws.. There are many other guys that we should pick ahead of him..Why he's ranked so high is because he has tons of potential and does actually drive to the hoop AFTER he has missed a bunch of shots. We need a guy that can go out there and play hard and play smart.. Not another "full of potential" guy.. They never seem to turn out well for us.. Maybe it's our trainers or coaches or something like that.. But we always get the guys "full of potential".. But none really worked out. Granger was already good when he got here, yet he is still full of potential so you could say he is working out pretty well.

Will Galen
04-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Yeah we need someone who can finish, but our worst need is for a point who can stop dribble penetration. That KILLS us game after game.

Pacersfan46
04-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I still say he was injured and making bad basketball decisions (not drivin to the basket near enough) both of which can be easily corrected

Tell that to Fred Jones.

-- Steve --

jcouts
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't blame Gordon for coming out...I just don't want him anywhere near the Pacers

Shade
04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Anyone who truly thinks that EJ was going to stay at IU was fooling themselves.

Anyone who thinks he's foolish to leave all that money on the table have obviously never turned down that kind of guaranteed money before.

mrknowname
04-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Watch a Hoosiers game.. Most people on here don't and those are the people that think he's god..He's alright, I was one who talked about how good he was when he first came.. But as I watched him play I saw tons of flaws.. There are many other guys that we should pick ahead of him..Why he's ranked so high is because he has tons of potential and does actually drive to the hoop AFTER he has missed a bunch of shots. We need a guy that can go out there and play hard and play smart.. Not another "full of potential" guy.. They never seem to turn out well for us.. Maybe it's our trainers or coaches or something like that.. But we always get the guys "full of potential".. But none really worked out. Granger was already good when he got here, yet he is still full of potential so you could say he is working out pretty well.

lol i watch IU all the time. guess what, every prospect has tons of flaws so by that logic you wouldn't draft anybody. the entire draft is based off of potential, especially the lottery, lol. i'd really like a long list of guys you'd pick in the 8-12 range over Eric Gordon. remember you can't choose guys with potential ;)

Yeah we need someone who can finish, but our worst need is for a point who can stop dribble penetration. That KILLS us game after game.

we just need a guard that isn't a defensive liability lol. i'm really high on westbrook because of his defensive potential. tonight should tell us a lot about him

PR07
04-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd love to have Eric Gordon. The NBA favors back-court play right now, and we have one of the shoddiest back-courts in the NBA. He's not what we need? Last time I checked, we have Travis Diener at PG, and a SF in Dunleavy playing SG. HELLO! Any back-court help is better than none.

He's a prolific scorer, we haven't had that type of player since Reggie left.

SoupIsGood
04-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, I'm no Gordon fan, but there's some serious venom here.

Agreed. I think Gordon is going to sink because of how his college career ended, and I'd love it we could grab him. At where we'd be drafting I think that'd be a pretty great pickup. And I was never really all that impressed by the kid.

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 07:45 PM
lol i watch IU all the time. guess what, every prospect has tons of flaws so by that logic you wouldn't draft anybody. the entire draft is based off of potential, especially the lottery, lol. i'd really like a long list of guys you'd pick in the 8-12 range over Eric Gordon. remember you can't choose guys with potential ;)

we just need a guard that isn't a defensive liability lol. i'm really high on westbrook because of his defensive potential. tonight should tell us a lot about him

I'm talking about guys with JUST potential.. And not much skill YET.. But everyone thinks he will be really good sometime so they draft him. There are plenty of guys that are better then him this year.. Some not even projected in the lottery. (Hansborough as one example)

And I agree about Westbrook.. I think he would do great things for us. He seems to be a good leader AND PLAYS DEFENSE.

Ownagedood
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm drooling so much watching Derrick Rose play right now.. Man, I wish we could get that guy. He's just dominating.

jcouts
04-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Rashad McCants, 6-4, 210
Randy Foye, 6-4, 213

Two decent players who can prove that you can be a decent contributor at the NBA level at Gordon's size. Size isn't the issue with him though.

His tangibles are fine, but his intangibles and his mindset are the reason I don't want him on the Pacers. He's a black hole on offense because he's never had to be a team player. He plays the same way DaJuan Wagner played and Antoine Walker played: "if I jack up 20 or 25 shots, surely 10 of them will go in, because I'm that good". He alienates his teammates and gets them out of rhythm because he rarely looks for them in the team concept. This won't fly in the NBA.

People will say that something like that, and the many other complaints that I have about Gordon, "can be taught". My argument is, why hasn't he learned it yet? Why hasn't he noticed it about his own game and identified it as something to improve on? Great players never stop critiqueing their game...that's what separates players like Garnett from players like JO. When was the last time you heard JO say, "I need to improve my post defense".

The player the Pacers need is Derrick Rose. The player they'll probably get is one the two players that Rose has torched and abused on both ends of the court the past two weeks: D.J. Augustin, or Darren Collison. Or, Bird will draft another long, athletic SG/SF like Chris Douglas-Roberts, continuing the perpetual logjam...although I'd be fine with it, because I think CDR is the next Josh Howard.

Midcoasted
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
IF he was a one and done guy, we shouldnt even have recruited him at IU. I hate one and done players, they really aren't too solid when it comes to making the next step. We seen how bad Gordon choked in the tournament. Unless he step his game up about 3 notches he will never be a starter in the NBA, unless he is playing on a bottom feeder. Look how well the gaurs are playing for Memphis. I would take any of them over Gordon. They are thriving on the big stage in the tournament, they just DESTROYED UCLA. When did the draft process become so shallow? We've got gaurds in this tournament lighting it up, moving their teams towards a C-ship. And everyones talking about a player who choked like noone I have ever seen. I think thats the biggest red flag ever.

If he drops to us, of course we take him just for his perimeter defense and his ability to create. Hes a gamble, and from the way he choked in the spotlight this year, I think he could be a waste of a pick. Lets hope one of the few bigs gets hurt or looses some stock and falls to us. Not likely, but I can hope.

He's not big enough and he lacks the elevation to be an elite SG in the NBA. I see him more as a SG/PG hybrid who could prove me wrong, but I won't hold my breath. He may be listed at 6'4, but he could be as small as 6'2. Starting SGs need to be at least 6'6 IMO.

Noone wants a "contributor" with the type of hype, pick, and money Gordon demands, they want a game changer, someone who can increase ur winning percent 10 points by themselves, and honestly he just isn't that type of player. Without DJ White, I dont think IU would have been anything this year.

JayRedd
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I'd love to have Eric Gordon. The NBA favors back-court play right now, and we have almost undeniably the worst back-court in entire history of the NBA.

And...fixed.

Seriously, if you can remember one that's worse please let me know.

Infinite MAN_force
04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
This is stupid. If Eric Gordon falls to us expect to see him in a pacers uniform next year... If he falls to 11, uh yea... hes a pacer. No way larry passes. Some of you who think this would be such a travesty need a new outlook on life. Seriously...

what? You would rather have augestin or collison? Even westbrook... Gordon is just a taller, stronger, better shooting version of westbrook. You know there is a reason he is expected to go top 6. I will personnely be ecstatic if Gordon falls to 11. He needs some work for sure, but give me a break.

BTW. He IS taller than Rose. Ive seen the picture. Rose was not slouching.

PR07
04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
He just finished his freshman year. Some of you need to get a grip and realize that not everyone is going to me Carmelo Anthony their first season in college. Eric Gordon is a franchise type player that you can get in the draft, he's a guy that's more than worth taking a chance on if he somehow falls to us or even if we could trade up 2-3 spots to get him. I think some of you guys are just bitter IU fans and are holding it against him that A. He struggled in the first round in your team's loss. B. He's leaving after only one season. What did you expect? Did you really think EJ was going to stay more than one year when he's pretty much guaranteed to be at worst a Top 10 pick?

Worst case scenario, he's Ben Gordon. I don't know about you, but even Ben Gordon, would be a huuuuuuge upgrade to the current state of the backcourt. Bird wanted Ben Gordon in the draft he was in, and I guarantee he'd probably take the superior EJ if he was available.

Monta Ellis, Dwyane Wade, AI, etc. have all made it work being a little shorter. They all are lightning quick and have the athleticism to make up for it. I'm pretty sure EJ does too except he's a lot stronger than all of them.

Face it, this team could use a franchise player again, and a risk on EJ is a risk worth taking.

Pacersfan46
04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
what? You would rather have augestin or collison? Even westbrook... Gordon is just a taller, stronger, better shooting version of westbrook.

Are you kidding me? Westbrook has a 1.74/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon had a 0.68/1 assist to turnover ratio. Where do you get better shooting from? The only place Gordon shot better was from the FT line percentage wise. And you didn't even begin to take into account that Westbrook's worlds better on the defensive end.

BTW. He IS taller than Rose. Ive seen the picture. Rose was not slouching.

I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really. I didn't follow the debate, so maybe it wasn't a comparison ... and just your way of trying to prove Gordon's height, if so ... disregard what I said, because I think everyone should know that.

However, I do agree. If he's there past pick 10, and we're picking ... he will be in a Pacers uniform. I will hope for the best, but I'm not overly optimistic about the kid. To be honest, I would rather have Westbrook.

-- Steve --

owl
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Westbrook has to be on the list where the Pacers are picking, probably 11.
I would love to get two players in the first round. A center and a guard.
Thabeet and Westbrook would be great. Love is going to be long gone for the Pacers at 11.
So if they want Love they will have to trade up which is very costly.
The Pacers are desperate for defense so Thabeet and Westbrook both fit the bill
plus Westbrook is a better player offensively then some people think.
I will cringe if the Pacers take Gordon.

CDR from Memphis would also be someone to look hard at.

DisplacedKnick
04-06-2008, 02:34 PM
And...fixed.

Seriously, if you can remember one that's worse please let me know.

I nominate Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford.

Honorable mention for Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford.

At least while being coached by Isiah - I still have hopes for them if they get a real coach.

Shade
04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really.

Dwyane Wade and Allen Iverson would like to have a word with you.

Pacersfan46
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Dwyane Wade and Allen Iverson would like to have a word with you.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule in the world, congratulations. However no, Gordon is not one of them. I'm sorry.

I know you've got a man crush on him, but for every 6'2 or 6'3 SG in the NBA that succeeds, there are hundreds that do nothing but sit on the bench, or don't even make the NBA at all.

To further this point, the 2 players you mentioned ... both have averaged in their career well over 6 assists per game, while their turnover totals per game are under 4. That's a 1.5/1 assist to turnover ratio, at worst. These guys HAVE POINT GUARD SKILLS. What's Gordon's assist to turnover? 0.68/1? Are you kidding me? However, instead of making this point comparing college to NBA numbers, despite the NBA being tougher competition and STILL coming up with better totals ... we'll compare apples to apples. Okay?

Both Wade, and Iverson in their Freshman years of college, had a 1+/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon doesn't even come close.

So yes, those guys are short, and play shooting guard, but they have point guard skills to boot. Gordon on the other hand ....... and that doesn't even mention you picked two of the most explosive players the league has has had in the last 20 years. When Gordon has Iverson's or Wade's explosion, and speed ... let me know.

**EDIT** and for Iverson, even in his prime they hid him quite a bit on the defensive end by using Eric Snow to guard the SG's because he was more capable than Iverson was.

-- Steve --

jeffg-body
04-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I think we're all being a bit harsh on EJ. He is a very raw young man at this point and who knows how it will turn out. I don't know of any teenager who doesn't have flaws and need improvement in their game. He could be a Wade type player or could end up a Wagner type of player. Whoever drafts him needs to understand he is not gonna understand the NBA game and lifestyle for at least a few years. The Pacers need a guy that can contribute right away and a big could fill that need nicely if Thabeet is still there.

mrknowname
04-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Yes, there are exceptions to every rule in the world, congratulations. However no, Gordon is not one of them. I'm sorry.

I know you've got a man crush on him, but for every 6'2 or 6'3 SG in the NBA that succeeds, there are hundreds that do nothing but sit on the bench, or don't even make the NBA at all.

To further this point, the 2 players you mentioned ... both have averaged in their career well over 6 assists per game, while their turnover totals per game are under 4. That's a 1.5/1 assist to turnover ratio, at worst. These guys HAVE POINT GUARD SKILLS. What's Gordon's assist to turnover? 0.68/1? Are you kidding me? However, instead of making this point comparing college to NBA numbers, despite the NBA being tougher competition and STILL coming up with better totals ... we'll compare apples to apples. Okay?

Both Wade, and Iverson in their Freshman years of college, had a 1+/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon doesn't even come close.

So yes, those guys are short, and play shooting guard, but they have point guard skills to boot. Gordon on the other hand ....... and that doesn't even mention you picked two of the most explosive players the league has has had in the last 20 years. When Gordon has Iverson's or Wade's explosion, and speed ... let me know.

**EDIT** and for Iverson, even in his prime they hid him quite a bit on the defensive end by using Eric Snow to guard the SG's because he was more capable than Iverson was.

-- Steve --

gordon is 6'4. just sayin

Pacersfan46
04-06-2008, 06:32 PM
gordon is 6'4. just sayin

That's still up for debate. Which is part of the point.

We'll see when teams measure him themselves, what comes of it.

-- Steve --

mrknowname
04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
That's still up for debate. Which is part of the point.

We'll see when teams measure him themselves, what comes of it.

-- Steve --

well Rose was measured at 6'3 and half in shoes and gordon is atleas an inch and half taller than him

and i don't know why everybody gets so caught up in these numbers. if he can ball then he can ball and gordon can ball. just wait until he gets more space to do his thing in the nba

Pacersfan46
04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
well Rose was measured at 6'3 and half in shoes and gordon is atleas an inch and half taller than him

and i don't know why everybody gets so caught up in these numbers. if he can ball then he can ball and gordon can ball. just wait until he gets more space to do his thing in the nba

6'3 and a half plus 1.5 inches, equals 6 foot 5. Before you said he was 6'4 ... now he's 6'5?

I doubt either one is true. Either way, people get "caught up" because it does matter. You can tell it matters by the results. Name a list of All Star quality SG's without point guard skills under 6'4 .... I would be interested in seeing it myself.

-- Steve --

jcouts
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM

and to re-state a point that's been made several times, 6'3 is just fine if you're a point guard...Rose is a point guard. Gordon is not a point guard. 6'3-6'4 when you're trying to play shooting guard has proven problematic for the vast majority of the tweeners in the NBA.

Gordon, right now, isn't quick enough to guard the majority of the current PG's and he won't ever be tall or long enough to guard many of the better SG's in the league...I think it's fair to say the "better" PGs and SGs because people are talking about him being a superstar, and superstars should be able to match up on both ends with the best players in the league. I don't know many All Star level players that I see Gordon having a prayer against...which would defeat the purpose of using a lottery pick on him.

JayRedd
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Iverson ran the point at GTown.

mrknowname
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
6'3 and a half plus 1.5 inches, equals 6 foot 5. Before you said he was 6'4 ... now he's 6'5?

I doubt either one is true. Either way, people get "caught up" because it does matter. You can tell it matters by the results. Name a list of All Star quality SG's without point guard skills under 6'4 .... I would be interested in seeing it myself.

-- Steve --

i never specified that the 6'4 was in shoes or not, iirc his dad said he was 6'4 in socks so he probably is 6'5 in shoes

i'm not sure why u keep saying he's under 6'4.

and to re-state a point that's been made several times, 6'3 is just fine if you're a point guard...Rose is a point guard. Gordon is not a point guard. 6'3-6'4 when you're trying to play shooting guard has proven problematic for the vast majority of the tweeners in the NBA.

Gordon, right now, isn't quick enough to guard the majority of the current PG's and he won't ever be tall or long enough to guard many of the better SG's in the league...I think it's fair to say the "better" PGs and SGs because people are talking about him being a superstar, and superstars should be able to match up on both ends with the best players in the league. I don't know many All Star level players that I see Gordon having a prayer against...which would defeat the purpose of using a lottery pick on him.

like i said gordon is closer to 6'5 in shoes than the 6'3 you guys keep coming up with

jmoney2584
04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm a solid 6'2 in shoes and I've seem EJ on campus inbetween classes several times and I can tell you he is at least 2 inches taller than I.

Infinite MAN_force
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Are you kidding me? Westbrook has a 1.74/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon had a 0.68/1 assist to turnover ratio. Where do you get better shooting from? The only place Gordon shot better was from the FT line percentage wise. And you didn't even begin to take into account that Westbrook's worlds better on the defensive end.

I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really. I didn't follow the debate, so maybe it wasn't a comparison ... and just your way of trying to prove Gordon's height, if so ... disregard what I said, because I think everyone should know that.

However, I do agree. If he's there past pick 10, and we're picking ... he will be in a Pacers uniform. I will hope for the best, but I'm not overly optimistic about the kid. To be honest, I would rather have Westbrook.

-- Steve --

Gordon is not a point gaurd. Hes an SG. He needs to improve on the turnovers, no doubt. but the knock on westbrook is that he is also not a true pointgaurd. If they are both merely undersized shooting gaurds... than Gordon has better size and better outside shooting. Thats why hes the better prospect.

the size thing is from someone who was trying to say gordon is only 6-2. People say rose is 6-3 and nobody disputes that, yet a picture posted on this forum ith the two standing next to each other showed that Gordon was at least an inch taller than Rose, making him 6-4. The same size as Dwayne Wade. I was not comparing the two, just saying Gordon has the size to play the 2, he is the same size as Ben Gordon and Dwayne Wade. The kid is raw and needs a lot of work, but like I said, NBA scouts dont list him as a top 6 pick for no reason... at one time he was considered top 3. If Gordon gets it together he could be Wade, or maybe he just turns out to be a solid starter. He could even bust, but so could just about ANYONE. Its the draft...

The only thing about westbrook is that he has shown more potential to be able to play the point than Gordon. So it comes down to whether you strongly believe westbrook will ever develop the PG skills or not... kind of a moot point though, because as we have said, if gordon is there at 11, hes a pacer. They wont pass on the hometown kid at that spot.

Hell as much as he "struggled" he still led the big ten in scoring with over 20 points a game, pretty good for a kid who was in high school last year. I think he will figure it out.

Jonathan
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Gordan is not going to be an allstar in his career, but he will provide instant offense off the bench for the team that drafts him immediatley. The thought he was a bust at IU is hillarious to me, the kid lead the conference in scoring.

mb221
04-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Gordan is not going to be an allstar in his career, but he will provide instant offense off the bench for the team that drafts him immediatley. The thought he was a bust at IU is hillarious to me, the kid lead the conference in scoring.

Well, considering coming into the season there were Final Four talks, I'd say he was a little bit of a disappointment. Sure he led the conference in scoring, but is a 26 point game really that impressive when you shoot 8/24 and 4/16 from 3? Gordon is certainly a talented player, and I think with any coach but Sampson this past year there wouldn't be nearly as much naysaying as there is right now.

TheDon
04-08-2008, 12:53 AM
I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?

Few people stopped looking through the crimsom and creme colored lenses.

rexnom
04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm excited. He could really drop. If he stayed one more year under a good coach like Crean, he would stay in the top 5 next year.

PR07
04-08-2008, 01:55 AM
He could be a Top 5 pick this year, it probably will depend on how his workouts go and measurables turn out.

Jonathan
04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, considering coming into the season there were Final Four talks, I'd say he was a little bit of a disappointment. Sure he led the conference in scoring, but is a 26 point game really that impressive when you shoot 8/24 and 4/16 from 3? Gordon is certainly a talented player, and I think with any coach but Sampson this past year there wouldn't be nearly as much naysaying as there is right now.

Who knows how well IU would have finished under Sampson. This team would have been way higher than an eighth seed if Sampson would have just followed the rules. Dakich did the best he could but those loses were not EJ or DJ's fault at all.

Robertmto
04-09-2008, 01:45 AM
sig bet that he comes in (at pre draft camp) at at least 6'3 1/2??

rexnom
04-09-2008, 02:24 AM
sig bet that he comes in (at pre draft camp) at at least 6'3 1/2??
Going out on a limb much, there?

6'3-6'5 is going to be undersized in the NBA still.

mb221
04-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Who knows how well IU would have finished under Sampson. This team would have been way higher than an eighth seed if Sampson would have just followed the rules. Dakich did the best he could but those loses were not EJ or DJ's fault at all.

I was meaning that if he had been coached by someone other than Sampson, meaning someone that actually coached a structured offense, he probably would have developed into a more impressive player by the end of the year. I'm not exactly sure how you couldn't pin some of the blame for the end of the season losses on Gordon. When you are a teams leading offensive producer and you are shooting 4/16 from 3pt land or not even breaking double digits in your first (and last) tourney game, some of the blame has to be on your shoulders.

Don't get me wrong. EJ is certainly a remarkable prospect. I just don't see him coming into the league and producing at a high level his first couple of seasons. Of course I'm just some guy posting on a message board, so I could be pretty far off base. =)

Midcoasted
04-09-2008, 05:59 AM
He just finished his freshman year. Some of you need to get a grip and realize that not everyone is going to me Carmelo Anthony their first season in college. Eric Gordon is a franchise type player that you can get in the draft, he's a guy that's more than worth taking a chance on if he somehow falls to us or even if we could trade up 2-3 spots to get him. I think some of you guys are just bitter IU fans and are holding it against him that A. He struggled in the first round in your team's loss. B. He's leaving after only one season. What did you expect? Did you really think EJ was going to stay more than one year when he's pretty much guaranteed to be at worst a Top 10 pick?

Worst case scenario, he's Ben Gordon. I don't know about you, but even Ben Gordon, would be a huuuuuuge upgrade to the current state of the backcourt. Bird wanted Ben Gordon in the draft he was in, and I guarantee he'd probably take the superior EJ if he was available.

Monta Ellis, Dwyane Wade, AI, etc. have all made it work being a little shorter. They all are lightning quick and have the athleticism to make up for it. I'm pretty sure EJ does too except he's a lot stronger than all of them.

Face it, this team could use a franchise player again, and a risk on EJ is a risk worth taking.

See thats just the thing, I see no problem with our backcourt situation. I think we need to keep what we have now. Flip was a late season steal. Stop overlooking him. Our real problems lie in the post. Espescially rebounding and defense. If we had both coming from the post it would make our backcourt much more effective. Im all for bringing another PG on to give Diener and Flip a run, and a SG to push Rush. That will only make us better. But i think Dun/Rush and Flip/Diener are overlooked too much due to the lack of an interior defense.