PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Auto GPS (Garmin v TomTom

Anthem
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Would love some help buying a low-end GPS unit as a gift. What do you guys like best?

indygeezer
04-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I have a Garmin 550 which is not exactly "low-end" as it has bluetooth functionality too. I really really like it. The map rarely is misleading but the bluetooth speaker needs improving (kinda hard to understand sometimes). And sometimes it wants me to take a route other than what I would normally use when starting out. But the maps are GREAT.

I got mine at Circuit City on sale for $429 installed shortly after Christmas.

Twes
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I did some research before Christmas and what I was told is that Tom Tom is more geared to Europe where Garmin is more US focused.

So I guess it depends on where you will be using it.

I bought a unit for my Dad that was kind of mid range I'd say but it was a Garmin.

SycamoreKen
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
GPS is just THE MAN'S way of keeping you under his thumb.

Erik
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
My wife seems to be pretty happy with her "Magellan", we got hers with a $100.00 off at Best Buy. It's one of the better ones with the bigger screen and Bluetooth capabilities. The speaker is great, but I had a hard time hearing her on my end when she called me from it a little while ago, it could have been something that she was doing wrong because I have heard her clear from it before.

N8R
04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Real men dont need GPS - We eventually find where we are going. Personally i do prefer the old map but that is cause I am not a big fan of being told what to do and where to go, and I dont want to stinking computer telling me nothing.

Mr. Pink
04-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a GPS when I started working for Fox 41 in Louisville. I thought I knew the area, but quickly realized I had no stinking idea. I bought the TomTomGO 720, right around 450 dollars. It's worked amazingly. If there's a wreck and say 22nd and White...I can put in the intersection, and it will take me right there.

Truthfully, I think all the GPS's are the same. I know our Ambulances use the TomTom 100, I think, very basic units. They all have nothing but great things to say about that product.

None the less, any gps unit will get you to where you are going.

James Bond
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I actually use my phone.

I bought the verizon navigator application and it works fairly well.

For 10 bucks, I think its a pretty good deal.