PDA

View Full Version : Firefly: What happened?

Kstat
04-02-2008, 04:48 PM
OK, after seeing Serenity for the 85th time on HBO, I finally got around to watching the TV series.

My only question is this: why did it get canceled? It certainly wasn't lacking from fan support.

Why didn't some other station (sci-fi) pick it up after Fox canned it? It seems like the series really didn't end for a good reason.

Hicks
04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think the fan support was as big back then; it's grown a lot since it was canceled. Even I didn't catch the show until I bought the DVDs off of obnoxiousmodesty's recommendation about a year after it was off the air.

I remember that FOX aired The Train Job as the pilot, instead of the two part "Serenity" (Not to be confused with the movie) which is the actual pilot. I think other episodes were shown out of order, and I think a few of them never even aired. I also know they put it up at a tough time slot, and that it got bumped for the MLB playoffs during its run. Ultimately ratings killed it, but there's a lot of fingers that can be pointed as to WHY it had bad ratings.

kester99
04-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Did you see the commentary video? It's the last one on the disc I bought my son. Some insight there...but yeah, mostly Fox did their least as far as placing, pumping the show.

It's a shame. Good good series.

efx
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Fox and their retarded way of handling the show happened. I mean, if you air the episodes in the wrong order no wonder people aren't gonna get into it.

Putnam
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Ditto Mal and Kester and efx.

Plus, the sci-fi/western premise it didn't fit into any category that Fox knew how to promote, so they didn't.

Too bad. I think it was shiny.

Los Angeles
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Here are two very good reasons to watch Firefly.

http://monsterscifishow.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/61979_summer_glau_-_unknown_photoshoot0001_122_1140lo.jpg