PDA

View Full Version : Supplements: What works?

N8R
04-02-2008, 05:16 AM
I started working out in January and i havent really changed my diet too much so the gains are not all that big in the last 3 months. I have started to look into some suppliments and I wanted to get peoples own experiences with what works and what doesnt

I know about whey protein but I have heard from a few people that it doesnt help all that much and i heard creatine just fills your muscles with fluid so they appear bigger but you dont get stronger. For now I am about size, I want to get bigger arms and chest.

Also any of the products what kind of size effects did you experience or that are common. I will do additional research but nothing beats getting some first hand talk about it on what everyone thinks about certain brands and quality and where to get it from.

Also anyone use any of the Xyience products? I know the UFC pushes hard for it but I dont know too much about it other than my workplace just got some of their energy drinks and it triggered me to look into them more. I saw some different products but I would like to know if anyone has experience with using it.

Any discussion would be helpful.

bellisimo
04-02-2008, 05:54 AM
one of my friends gave it a try but ended up with an acne breakout due to the supplements and did not really see too much of a result....

N8R
04-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Do you know what he was trying? I would rather not have anything too extreme like acne or small balls. I just want some more size and if more weight is the right answer than I will go with that.

bellisimo
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
creatine was one he was usin...
and this other protein shake...not sure about the details...

N8R
04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Anyone else here use anything to help them gain muscle mass? Or just to be healthy. Even if it is your own remedy, or should I assume we are all lazy bums on PD?

JayRedd
04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Suppliments: What works?

Clearly not spell check.

N8R
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I started the thread at work at 5:00 in the morning. I was tired

Gyron
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
try these guys....

WirajdSnU6g

Since86
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Whey protein and creatine both work for mass and strength. For only lifting 3mons your not going to see much results in size wise. Your body needs time to adapt and to start different metabolic pathways. Six months is the standard time when they say you should start seeing noticeable results. If you see someone now that you haven't in four months, I'm sure they would tell a difference, but seeing yourself everyday is kind of hard to judge.

Whey protein is something that will gain size. Your body doesn't store protein so that's why you get the ****s when taking it so often, it's your body ridding itself of the excess. You can take less of the recommended dosage and still see the results.

Creatine does pump your muscle tissue full of water. It's like adding salt to them, it just makes them swell up, which is why you need to cycle it. A month on, a month off, a month on, a month off....
Pumping them full of water actually makes your muscles more efficient. It maximizes the space between the myoscin and actin, creating a better bridge to allow better usage of the muscle tissue. It helps mass because it teaches your fibers to grow to make the bridges better, which is why you need to cycle. If you don't cycle, your muscles will just get use to the creatine adding the bulk so when you finally do stop taking it you'll lose more than what you should.

There's other stuff out there like Omega fatty acids that help repair the tissue faster, but those are mostly the main two. There's no need to go out and spend a bunch of money, because 3/4ths of the crap doesn't work and you just excrete it anyways.

Your diet is the most important thing to watch if you want to see gains. Working out like a mad man, then going home to eat unhealthy crap and drink will just waste all the time you spent in the gym. Will you see results? Yes, but you have to work twice as hard and twice as long to see the same things that you would if you eat healthy. It would be like getting a suped up car and putting the worst type of gas possible in it. It will run, but it will run like ****.

That's the nutrition side of it. How you lift, as far as frequency and type of lifting will also have dramatic affects on the results. Get a program, stick to it for 6wks and change it up. Your body will actually get used to the same thing much longer than that time period and it will adapt to those loads and only those loads. Switching things up confuses your body into thinking you just started again and re energizes the processes to build.

There are a lot of good sites out there with pre existing routines, and advice.

N8R
04-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Finally someone with some answers. Thank you Since. See i figured it was a wait more time aswell. I do need to create a program though and I know i have to switch it up too.

Do you go to any sites that you find better for the knowledge or routine suggestions?

bellisimo
04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
dude...you're working at a gym...shouldn't you be the one we come to for advice in the first place? ;)

N8R
04-05-2008, 02:39 AM
You'd hope so but I work at night with no one else so I dont get much info.

Shade
04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't tried much in the way of supplements, outside of creatine and whey protein. I didn't get much results with creatine, and I haven't taken any whey protein in a while now since I'm generally so overworked I haven't been working out regularly. I'm going to correct that as soon as this semester is over and I can get back outside again.

N8R
04-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Do you find that Whey helped out when you were using it and how often were you having a protein shake?

Since86
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Do you go to any sites that you find better for the knowledge or routine suggestions?

As far as actual routines, it really doesn't matter. If you read an article talking about how this guy got ripped during this routine, it could work for you but then again every one's body reacts differently.

There are certain lifts that I like, certain ones that I hate. It should really be personalized. This is what I do in school, we have several classes based around resistance training for different population groups. We're told to keep the client in mind, and tailor make something to them specifically.

So there really aren't better routine suggestions out there. You can find anything and use it as a template and make your own, that's my advice.

They should be grouped by muscles though. Depending on how many days you want to workout.

Group pairings should be like biceps/biceps, chest/tris, and legs. Abs can be thrown in there anytime, but most people forget they react like every other muscle group, and shouldn't be worked on everyday or even everyother day. There is no such thing has spot reducing your fat, so no matter how many situps they do, it's impossible to know where the fat your burning is coming from. That's probably the biggest mistake I see, is people killing their stomachs.

But getting back to the routines.....

Personally I would create a routine that gives you plenty of rest days and focuses more on individual groups, instead of going in a lifting a whole body routine.

As an example day 1 would be bis/back, day 2 legs/abs, rest day, day 4 chest/tris/abs, rest day, then back to day 1.

Choose 3-4 exercises per grouping. Do the larger muscle groups first, so on your bi/back day work your back first because most of the exercises involve your back and biceps. After your 3-4 lifts on your back, do just your biceps. Same with chest/tris. Lift chest first then tris.

Getting a complete routine is very important. Most lift for vanity reasons, want to look good, so people tend to forget about the backside of their body. It creates problems, so don't neglect it.

Number of reps is imporant too, depending on what you want to work on. I'm guessing you want to add bulk and tone, so I would say no fewer than 8 no more than 15. Your last two reps on each set should be pretty difficult. 3-5 sets per lift.

Also, another tip. Form is extremely important. I just laugh when I see guys with monster dumbbells doing bi curls and are using their whole body to lift it. Your not doing your bis any good be using your back, and it's really bad for your back to begin with. Don't try to impress people watching, use the correct form and cut the weight if you need too. It will make your workouts a lot better.

Shade
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Do you find that Whey helped out when you were using it and how often were you having a protein shake?

Yeah, I think it helped. I used to have 2 shakes a day, between meals. One immediately after my workout.

Shade
04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
As far as actual routines, it really doesn't matter. If you read an article talking about how this guy got ripped during this routine, it could work for you but then again every one's body reacts differently.

There are certain lifts that I like, certain ones that I hate. It should really be personalized. This is what I do in school, we have several classes based around resistance training for different population groups. We're told to keep the client in mind, and tailor make something to them specifically.

So there really aren't better routine suggestions out there. You can find anything and use it as a template and make your own, that's my advice.

They should be grouped by muscles though. Depending on how many days you want to workout.

Group pairings should be like biceps/biceps, chest/tris, and legs. Abs can be thrown in there anytime, but most people forget they react like every other muscle group, and shouldn't be worked on everyday or even everyother day. There is no such thing has spot reducing your fat, so no matter how many situps they do, it's impossible to know where the fat your burning is coming from. That's probably the biggest mistake I see, is people killing their stomachs.

But getting back to the routines.....

Personally I would create a routine that gives you plenty of rest days and focuses more on individual groups, instead of going in a lifting a whole body routine.

As an example day 1 would be bis/back, day 2 legs/abs, rest day, day 4 chest/tris/abs, rest day, then back to day 1.

Choose 3-4 exercises per grouping. Do the larger muscle groups first, so on your bi/back day work your back first because most of the exercises involve your back and biceps. After your 3-4 lifts on your back, do just your biceps. Same with chest/tris. Lift chest first then tris.

Getting a complete routine is very important. Most lift for vanity reasons, want to look good, so people tend to forget about the backside of their body. It creates problems, so don't neglect it.

Number of reps is imporant too, depending on what you want to work on. I'm guessing you want to add bulk and tone, so I would say no fewer than 8 no more than 15. Your last two reps on each set should be pretty difficult. 3-5 sets per lift.

Also, another tip. Form is extremely important. I just laugh when I see guys with monster dumbbells doing bi curls and are using their whole body to lift it. Your not doing your bis any good be using your back, and it's really bad for your back to begin with. Don't try to impress people watching, use the correct form and cut the weight if you need too. It will make your workouts a lot better.

What are your thoughts on DEX-C20? I'm not a big supplement person, but this is supposed to help target that hard-to-remove belly fat (which is primarily what I'm trying to get rid of). I've been taking it for about 3 weeks so far and have noticed very slight results so far. But I also haven't been able to diet and work out as much as I'd like, so I'm sure I'm not getting maximum results out of it yet.

Since86
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't know exactly what it is, or how supposed fat burners work.

My guess would be that they somehow inhibit your body to break down energy sources, and just excrete them like active storage nutrients (like protein). Which would make your body turn to fat to use for energy.

If that's the case, then I would be a little cautious using them, because of two reasons. One, your brain can only use carbs for energy, and two, fat stores for energy causes keytone bodies that can harm your body if enough are present.

I've had friends swear up and down hydroxy cut works wonders, but personally???

I really don't know how they work, and could be totally way off, but it has to affect your energy storage someway and causes fat to be more readily used.

Stryder
04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
What are your thoughts on DEX-C20? I'm not a big supplement person, but this is supposed to help target that hard-to-remove belly fat (which is primarily what I'm trying to get rid of). I've been taking it for about 3 weeks so far and have noticed very slight results so far. But I also haven't been able to diet and work out as much as I'd like, so I'm sure I'm not getting maximum results out of it yet.

I seriously doubt any of these so-called clinical trials for the active ingredient in DEX-C20 (Caralluma Fimbriata). It is supposedly an appetite suppressant, anyways, so I doubt it would actually help with burning any fat that is on the body.

There is very little independent evidence that details what the makers of DEX says its product does. Be leary of any "miracle" diet supplement or drug.

Get lean or big the natural way...eat right, work out hard...be healthy.

MagicRat
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Get lean or big the natural way...

I go with cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes myself.....

scott55
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I lift about 3 days a week during school, and my coach says the best way to get bigger is to eat about 5 meals a day(granola bar, peanut butter sandwhich, etc.) and to get plenty of protein in you after working out. If you want to the natural way thats a good way to do it probably.

PacerGuy
04-10-2008, 12:07 AM
HGH seems to be the popular choice of many.
To order call 1-800-GO-BALCO

Shade
04-10-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't know exactly what it is, or how supposed fat burners work.

My guess would be that they somehow inhibit your body to break down energy sources, and just excrete them like active storage nutrients (like protein). Which would make your body turn to fat to use for energy.

If that's the case, then I would be a little cautious using them, because of two reasons. One, your brain can only use carbs for energy, and two, fat stores for energy causes keytone bodies that can harm your body if enough are present.

I've had friends swear up and down hydroxy cut works wonders, but personally???

I really don't know how they work, and could be totally way off, but it has to affect your energy storage someway and causes fat to be more readily used.

It's primarily an appetite suppressant, but it's also supposed to target and burn stored fat.

Shade
04-10-2008, 01:03 AM
I seriously doubt any of these so-called clinical trials for the active ingredient in DEX-C20 (Caralluma Fimbriata). It is supposedly an appetite suppressant, anyways, so I doubt it would actually help with burning any fat that is on the body.

There is very little independent evidence that details what the makers of DEX says its product does. Be leary of any "miracle" diet supplement or drug.

Get lean or big the natural way...eat right, work out hard...be healthy.

This is the first real "supplement" I've tried, and it's only because I hit my plateau over a year ago and can't seem to gain any more ground regardless of what I do. It's kind of a last resort at this point.