PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Tom Crean is the new HC at Indiana

Coop
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
On ESPN news now...

JayRedd
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow.

Helluva pull, fellas. Guy is a pro's pro.

Major Cold
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
link whenever they have it plz....

I would love this if it were true.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I have no problem with this hire. It's not necessarily a "sexy" hire, but it's a good one, in my opinion.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow.

Helluva pull, fellas. Guy is a pro's pro.

you're just lucky UB didn't take the bet...

i'd bet jayredd's left (and only) nut that tom crean is one of those katz-reported 'final four experience' finalists.

unclebuck you interested in that wager?

JayRedd
04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Why am I lucky?

We woulda won right?

I mean, I could have three nuts now. Stupid Gamblers' Annonymous.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Why am I lucky?

We woulda won right?

I mean, I could have three nuts now. Stupid Gamblers' Annonymous.

you're right. i'm the lucky one because now i don't have to be the middle man in that transaction. i hate being the handler in those types of situations...

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
from ESPN...

Source: Indiana near agreement to make Crean next coach

Trying to put a tumultuous few months behind it, Indiana University is on the verge of naming a new coach, Tom Crean of Marquette, a source with the school told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday.

The Hoosiers have to hope that the hiring goes more smoothly than the awkward parting with former coach Kelvin Sampson.

Indiana is awaiting a letter of agreement from Crean before a deal is finalized, and a tentative news conference has been scheduled for Wednesday to make an announcement.

He resigned amid allegations of NCAA violations. Dan Dakich, an assistant under Sampson and a former Indiana player and assistant under Bob Knight, took over as interim coach for the rest of the season.

The university first contacted Washington State coach Tony Bennett late Saturday night, but he withdrew from consideration.

Crean, who took the Dwyane Wade-led Golden Eagles to the Final Four in 2003, just completed a 25-10 season. Marquette lost to Stanford in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Crean is 190-96 in nine seasons at Marquette and has taken the Golden Eagles to the NCAA tournament five times. Before that, he was an assistant at Michigan State, Pittsburgh and Western Kentucky.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3324439

JayRedd
04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I woulda given you half.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Crean will win here, a lot. I like it. Katz was right all along with his quote that it was down to two people and they both had final four resumes. It is a very strong choice. To be honest, I think we now know why we never offered to Bennett, Crean is a better all around choice.

Big Smooth
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I like the hire. Tom should do very well at Indiana. :D

Coop
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Now the question is, can we convince Ebanks to sign back on? Without him, Holloway, Bassett, and Ellis, we won't see much winning at all next year.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I like it and I think we are extremely lucky to get a guy like him.

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Better hire than I thought they could get w/ the mess going on down there. They should all feel pretty good - even the Knight deciple supporters. Crean is young, respected, plays a goosd style of Ball, & can recruit like a mother.
Now fire Greenspan (sends 1 more message to the NCAA that IU's cleaned house) & hope for the best. It will likely be 2-3 yrs. to recover for the damage done, but they have the man I think that can do that!

:hoosiers: :fireworks

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Sampson had the talent here to win a national championship in two years. I see no reason why Crean can't do something similar.

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Sampson had the talent here to win a national championship in two years. I see no reason why Crean can't do something similar.

Sanctions!
5 MAJOR violations still need addressed, & likely will bring some punishment that Sampson did not have to deal with.
Give him time, but he will win eventually.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
We won't get a postseason ban.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Is he "the new head coach at Indiana" as the title of this thread would convey, or is it just speculation surrounding the discussions between the two sides?

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Sounds to me like the deal is done. Just waiting on Crean to sign on the dotted line.

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Crean's much better than I thought IU could get. Seems their legacy and pull isn't as lessened as I thought.

He's signed at MU through 2017, you'd think it must be a pretty large buy-out, unless there's some sort of escape clause. Seems like not wanting to pay Sean Miller's buy-out wasn't a case of IU not being able to afford it but just not feeling Miller was worth it.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Indy: Based on what that makes you think it depends on the signature?

I am in Lexington Ky so I don't have the same degree of coverage. Please inform.

In other news, seems Crean is married to Jim Harbaugh's sister.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm sure this guy would be a good fit. He has a pretty good track record. 5 NCAA Tournament appearances during his tenure at Marquette.

The only thing I don't understand is that he is still under a contract with Quette. It lasts until 2016-17. He is also like owed a lot of money too. Does he have a opt-out clause? Or is he getting fired?

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Sportscenter just said that it is official. Crean will be announced as the new head coach of Indiana University Men's Basketball on Wednesday.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
then they should announce it today!

but anyways apparently one of the members of the board of trustees has also confirmed it according to yahoo news/sports.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 06:53 PM
lets hear what t. hutchins has to say about all this.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7978872/Indiana-has-deal-with-Marquette's-Crean

Fox Sports says the deal is done.

But how is he leaving!? He is under contract.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 06:57 PM
wonder what happens with bassett/ellis now?

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
They'll be back.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY HE LEFT MARQUETTE?

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY HE LEFT MARQUETTE?

Because Indiana offered him the job?

obnoxiousmodesty
04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
The H-T is reporting a 10AM press conference is scheduled Wednesday to introduce Crean.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
10 AM is so early.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Because Indiana offered him the job?
So? What makes IU more attractive than the dope scrill he is getting at Marquette? He is the highest-paid coach in division 1.

Do you guys think that we are giving him more? j/w

I guess we won't know until after that press conference for all the details.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I guarantee you he will be getting more money at IU.

Plus fellas I hate to break it to you, but this is still INDIANA UNIVERSITY. We are still one of the top 5-10 jobs in college basketball anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
So? What makes IU more attractive than the dope scrill he is getting at Marquette? He is the highest-paid coach in division 1.

Do you guys think that we are giving him more? j/w

I guess we won't know until after that press conference for all the details.

I imagine it was just a case of putting himself in a much better position (eventually) to win a title. MU probably gave him the massive extension because they knew he'd be high on the list of higher profile teams with vacancies, hoping the money would be enough to keep him there.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N303FZ/history/20080401/2240Z/KBMG/KMKE

This is a link to a flight tracking website. This jet left Bloomington destined for Milwaukee. It will have a very short layover in Milwaukee and then return to Bloomington shortly before 9 PM. Gentlemen help is on the way!

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

This is a link to a flight tracking website. This jet left Bloomington destined for Milwaukee. It will have a very short layover in Milwaukee and then return to Bloomington shortly before 9 PM. Gentlemen help is on the way!

And the pressure mounts...

It's pointless really w/o knowing all the mitigating circumstances, but let's say Ellis and Bassett are back. What do you guys want from Crean next season?

obnoxiousmodesty
04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10753832

Marquette's Crean signs letter of intent to coach Indiana

April 1, 2008
CBSSports.com staff and wire reports

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/IN) will hire Marquette's (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/MARQET) Tom Crean as its basketball coach and is expected to introduce him at a news conference Wednesday.

University trustee Philip Eskew confirmed the hiring. Eskew said Crean had signed a letter of intent with the university and was meeting with his team Tuesday night.

Team spokesman J.D. Campbell said a news conference had yet to be scheduled.

A source told Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com that the deal is in excess of $2 million per season and will be for no less than six years. Another source said the contract might extend to 10 years to ensure it outlasts Crean's current deal at Marquette, which runs through the 2016-17 season.

The hiring comes near the end of a tumultuous six-week period in which former Hooisers coach Kelvin Sampson resigned amid an NCAA scandal, interim coach Dan Dakich replaced him and then lost four of seven games.

Dakich also suspended guard Jamarcus Ellis for disciplinary reasons for the Hoosiers' game at Penn State. The school announced Tuesday that Ellis and guard Armon Bassett had been kicked off the team for missing two scheduled events.

Crean, who led Marquette to the Final Four in 2003, will responsible for rebuilding not only Indiana's reputation as a national power but also its sullied image as a squeaky-clean program.

"I think he's a great choice," Eskew said. "He has a Big Ten background, a Midwest background, he's recruited in the state of Indiana and he has an impeccable record, so I think Indiana is on the road to recovery."

Now the question is what kind of team will Crean inherit.

Starting forwards D.J. White and Lance Stemler both finished their senior seasons, and it's uncertain whether Bassett and Ellis, two of the starting guards, will return after being punished for missing an appointment last week. When they didn't show up to run laps the next day, Dakich decided to dismiss them from the team.

On Monday, freshman Eric Gordon is expected to announce whether he will declare early for the NBA. Most figure, he's leaving, which would leave Indiana without all five of its regular starters from last season.

Crean went 190-96 in nine seasons at Marquette. He leaves for a job that came open after Sampson's latest alleged missteps with the NCAA.

Sampson left in February amid a phone-call scandal that brought five allegations of major infractions from the NCAA. Dakich's promotion to interim coach fueled threats of a player boycott and the Hoosiers (25-8) never recovered. They lost four of their final seven games, including a last-second defeat against Minnesota in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals and an 86-72 loss to Arkansas in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Since firing Bob Knight in September 2000, a move that sharply divided Indiana fans, the Hoosiers have failed to find a suitable successor. Mike Davis, who replaced Knight, never won enough to satisfy Indiana's rabid fans, and it took Sampson, Davis' successor, less than two years to stain the university's once-impeccable reputation for playing by the rules.

Sampson took the Indiana job in March 2006 and two months later was penalized by the NCAA for making 577 impermissible phone calls between 2000 and 2004 when he was coaching Oklahoma.

The second wave of charges emerged in October when a university investigation found Sampson and his staff made more than 100 impermissible calls while still under recruiting restrictions and that Sampson participated in at least 10 three-way calls, another violation of the NCAA's punishment.

Athletic director Rick Greenspan called the violations secondary, imposing a one-year extension of the NCAA's recruiting restrictions and pulling a $500,000 raise. The Hoosiers also took away one scholarship for the 2008-09 season.

However, an NCAA report released Feb. 13 by Indiana claimed Sampson provided false and misleading information to investigators from both the university and the NCAA, failed to meet the "generally recognized high standard of honesty" expected in college sports and failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the program.

Sampson has denied intentionally providing investigators with false information.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Andy Katz is reporting the press conference may now be scheduled for 11AM Wednesday. Whatever the time it's formally announced, it's exciting to know IU has their man!

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
And the pressure mounts...

It's pointless really w/o knowing all the mitigating circumstances, but let's say Ellis and Bassett are back. What do you guys want from Crean next season?

A good season from a competitive team with a strong recruiting class coming in.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
expectations? depending on what happens with the other recruits and gordon -- i'd say a billy gillespie first year at kentucky level. a mess early on but quite a bit of improvement by the end, maybe even squeaking into the tourney. but ultimately waiting for year two before having any expectations.

those expectations would change with ebanks and gordon on the team but i doubt they will be.

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:30 PM
A good season from a competitive team with a strong recruiting class coming in.

Both seem quite likely. Just wanted to make sure expectations aren't too high.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Both seem quite likely. Just wanted to make sure expectations aren't too high.

I don't even need a tourney birth next year. The most important part for me is making sure he holds together what could be an awesome recruiting class for IU in 2009.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I imagine it was just a case of putting himself in a much better position (eventually) to win a title. MU probably gave him the massive extension because they knew he'd be high on the list of higher profile teams with vacancies, hoping the money would be enough to keep him there.
Thanks for clearing that up. I just didn't see someone making that amount of money leaving it for something less. But I guess one could hope he can turn this team around...again.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 07:37 PM

That's nifty. Thanks!

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for clearing that up

Mind you, all of that's just my opinion. For all I know IU could be giving him $10M a year and renaming it Crean Court.

idioteque
04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I am thrilled with this hire for IU. They can win with this guy. Knight was past his prime for his last years, Davis was a fluke, and well we know about Sampson. IU will be dangerous now that they have both a great coach and a reputable person leading the team.

tinsley#11
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm not very familiar with the recruiting process, but could it be possible for some members of Marquette's recruiting class "transfer" along with Crean given that was the main reason they were goin to attend Marquette?

Sollozzo
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm very pleased with this hire.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I doubt we could have done better. This is a great move.

Young
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Holy crap.

I am suprised. Why wasn't Crean the first choice to begin with?

I mean did IU really offer the job to Tony Bennent before Crean? Nothing against TB but I think that Crean is better for the job.

Rick Greenspan has taken some heat for a while now with the whole coaching thing and all but IU fans have to be pleased with his decision here. A great hire by IU.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Holy crap.

I am suprised. Why wasn't Crean the first choice to begin with?

I mean did IU really offer the job to Tony Bennent before Crean? Nothing against TB but I think that Crean is better for the job.

Rick Greenspan has taken some heat for a while now with the whole coaching thing and all but IU fans have to be pleased with his decision here. A great hire by IU.

nothing was ever offered to bennett he spoke to greenspan then removed his name from consideration. it wasn't an outright rejection. right after IU was ousted from the tourney, katz reported that IU had two candidates both with final four experience. i said at the time i thought one was crean. the other seems to have been montgomery. i think bennett would have been fine, sean miller would have been better but i am also really happy about this hire.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Will the fight song now be changed to "Crean and Crimson"? :hmm:

Ownagedood
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm so stoked!! I was shocked when I heard we were able to steal Marquette's coach away!! He is an amazing recruiter.. He was the guy who recruited D Wade.. He should be a great fit.. It will take a few years to get IU back to stardom.. But it will for sure happen.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Did anyone else just see Crean on WTHR? He gave a great interview. He's pumped to be here.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Did anyone else just see Crean on WTHR? He gave a great interview. He's pumped to be here.
Dang I missed it.

Infinite MAN_force
04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Breaking News: Just heard on 13, Basset and Ellis say they will return to the team to play for Tom Crean, on the condition that Dakich has NOTHING to do with the team or coaching staff. interesting...

watching the interview with Crean, I really like this guy so far. He has a lot of enthusiasm.

duke dynamite
04-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Saw it, good stuff.

Anyway, he got bought out for $500,000. Marquette just lost a good coach.

duke dynamite
04-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Mind you, all of that's just my opinion. For all I know IU could be giving him $10M a year and renaming it Crean Court.
Yeah, but at the time it was better than nothing. I just needed to hear something. Mucho appreciated!

MagicRat
04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Dang I missed it.

The link to the interview is on this page:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8102956

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Breaking News: Just heard on 13, Basset and Ellis say they will return to the team to play for Tom Crean, on the condition that Dakich has NOTHING to do with the team or coaching staff. interesting...

watching the interview with Crean, I really like this guy so far. He has a lot of enthusiasm.
Thank goodness!!

Btw, press conference to sign him is at 11 A.M.. Probably be on ESPN or something.. I'll go check the schedule.

Nothing on the schedule, it will likely just be on ESPN.

DisplacedKnick
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM

I don't know much about Crean but IU has a long and storied tradition of caving to player demands - last 6 years anyway - so I expect they'll do that again.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
"People ask me why, it's always the same answer. It's Indiana. It's Indiana. And that is the bottom line."

He really wants to be here!! That's some great news.

"I am going to have no trouble embracing the tradition of what this University has stood for" ... "It's Indiana"

..Watching and listening to this guy actually makes me think he may get Eric Gordon to make the right choice and stay here.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
If you're Gordon why wouldn't you want to play a year under the guy that coached Wade?

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
If you're Gordon why wouldn't you want to play a year under the guy that coached Wade?
Lol, exactly.

He just said a point that I never even though of to help recruiting.. That us fans can help with.. Wear our IU gear showing to everyone else how big of a deal IU really is.. And how important it is to us.. He's a smart guy.

Pig Nash
04-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I like him a lot so far just watching the interview last night. Indiana University Basketball is MUCH bigger than one person, be it coach, player, athletic director, and he seems to know and embrace that.

tdubb03
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I wish the IU/Purdue rivalry was big enough that new coaches specifically mention beating the other in their pressers like OSU/UM.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I wish the IU/Purdue rivalry was big enough that new coaches specifically mention beating the other in their pressers like OSU/UM.
It probably will resurge as a huge rivalry again.. Now that IU has a stud coach and PU has been getting better as well.

Since86
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I would like to say HELL YEAH! He's the coach I wanted last year, he's the coach I said I wanted this year during the huff puff over Pearl in the thread on the main board.

He recruited strongly, just couldn't get the type of players he'll be available to here in Indiana. If you think about all the talent in this state that has left the state, you could field some really good teams.

Keeping more Indiana kids, and getting them to IU, along with keeping your nose clean will go along way.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Well, Crean did mention he wanted to kick Izzo's tail. ;)

Kofi
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Crean seems very excited and very proud to have the IU job. In every interview I've seen the past 24 hours, he couldn't stop smiling. Definitely a good sign.

LG33
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
The only reason he's at IU right now is because Travis Diener is in a Pacers uniform.
That was my totally unsubstantiated rumor of the day.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Crean seems very excited and very proud to have the IU job. In every interview I've seen the past 24 hours, he couldn't stop smiling. Definitely a good sign.

Yeah, he definetely gets what IU is about. He's reaching out to the alumni too and is making a concerted effort to try and bring back those who still feel somewhat fractured from the Knight firing. All I asked for was that we get a successful coach who really understood what IU basketball was about. Crean meets the first criteria for sure, and so far seems to pass the second test with flying colors.

Sollozzo
04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I am just so elated about this hire. Just goes to show that Indiana still has quite a bit of pull left after all. Crean was obviously comfortable at Marquette and could have remained there for a long time, but the lure of IU was too much.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I am just so elated about this hire. Just goes to show that Indiana still has quite a bit of pull left after all. Crean was obviously comfortable at Marquette and could have remained there for a long time, but the lure of IU was too much.

I don't know about you, but I'm already counting down the days til Hoosier Hysteria/Midnight Madness. I'm not even thinking about I-Core right now. :)

Since86
04-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Mark Few and Bennett disagree. Marquette is a private school, in the northern part of the country. Obviously IU has more lure than MU. As an IU fan, but not a die-hard, I can actually sit back and see that IU is better than Marquette, but it doesn't have the allure that it once did. It's off the competitive radar, still in the top 25 although that's debateable now, but still should be there.

IU wasn't going to get a big name from an established school, i.e. Barnes, Pearl, Calipari etc. They just weren't. Bad situation with the NCAA, bad situation with recruits, and they weren't gonna throw out enough cash where it would make it worth their while.

Marquette is a stepping stone school, eventhough it's in a major conference. It's not an end of your career place, like a the programs that have either history established or are an up and coming power house.

Butler coaches have had tons of sucess nationally, the Sweet Sixteens, nationally ranked, and so forth, but they've been jumping to bigger schools. I see him leaving Marquette just like the past few who left Butler.

Kstat
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
You guys are lucky. Crean is a better coach than Sampson to begin with.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Just to let everyone know.. The contract was 8 year/18.24mil.

Pretty good deal.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Bennett was never offered the job.

Since86
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, he told them no thanks before that even materialized.

He wasn't even interested in hearing their pitch, but they tried to contact him to do it. That say's more about the lure of the job, than if he actually did take the time and thought they were just low balling him.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I believe there was more to the Bennett thing then we will ever know. I still think it was possible he was told he was choice number two. If you had asked me to pick between Crean or Bennett last Friday I would have picked Crean every day. He comes from the Izzo coaching tree which I like more than the Bo Ryan tree, and he has won for a longer period of time. If Bennett truely was IU's number one choice and he said no before ever hearing the pitch then that is his loss. It takes a special kind of stupid to pick Washington State over Indiana.

Sollozzo
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Mark Few and Bennett disagree. Marquette is a private school, in the northern part of the country. Obviously IU has more lure than MU. As an IU fan, but not a die-hard, I can actually sit back and see that IU is better than Marquette, but it doesn't have the allure that it once did. It's off the competitive radar, still in the top 25 although that's debateable now, but still should be there.

IU wasn't going to get a big name from an established school, i.e. Barnes, Pearl, Calipari etc. They just weren't. Bad situation with the NCAA, bad situation with recruits, and they weren't gonna throw out enough cash where it would make it worth their while.

Marquette is a stepping stone school, eventhough it's in a major conference. It's not an end of your career place, like a the programs that have either history established or are an up and coming power house.

Butler coaches have had tons of sucess nationally, the Sweet Sixteens, nationally ranked, and so forth, but they've been jumping to bigger schools. I see him leaving Marquette just like the past few who left Butler.

So Few and Bennett's feelings are more important than Creans? Samspon and Creen say otherwise. When did Few and Bennett become better coaches than Crean? Last I checked, the two you mentioned hadn't made a final four, while Sampson and Creen have. And anyway, all I said was it had quite a bit of pull left, I didn't say that it had enough pull to get any coach it wanted, especially someone like a Calipari who is in a situation where he can dominate his conference every year and had made 3 elite 8s.

And Tom Crean might disagree with your notion that it's not an end of the career place. He signed a contract there through 2017, and while him going to IU shows that doesn't mean everything, I think it at least shows that he was very comfortable with staying there for a long time. He even said today that he had had other opportunities to leave Marquette, but he felt perfectly fine there. He emphasized point and point again that the lure of Indiana is what got him.

And again, all I said was that the program still had quite of pull left. The hirings of Sampson and Crean prove that. Sampson left a place he'd been at for 12 years, Crean a place he'd been at for 9. They were both obviously comfortable with where they were at. I never said that you could get a Calipari or Barnes, who are running pretty awesome programs.

I didn't say it had the most amount of pull in the country, nor did I even compare it to a UNC or UCLA. But look at what Crean said today "If anyone asks me why, It's Indiana, It's Indiana. I'm going to learn about what IU stands for, but I will have no problem understanding the tradition of Indiana basketball." And when you read Sampson's past comments, he had just as strong feelings about the legacy and lure of Indiana basketball. But you seem to be implying that Few and Bennett's decisions make all this meaningless.

And so what if Mark Few and Tony Bennett didn't want it? Is their opinion/feeling more important than Creans?? They certainly aren't anymore elite than Crean is, hell Few has never made it past the sweet 16. Crean has at least made it to the final four (on the back of Wade no doubt about it). But I just don't see how them not wanting it somehow makes the program not as attractice. Crean has just as good a resume, if not a better one, than Few. Maybe Few and Bennett are just perfectly fine where they are at, regardless of the opporuntiy? Few was on Rome not too long ago and was talking about how much he loved living in Washington, and how his family felt right at home there.

And FYI, Gonzaga is a private school as well. So that kind of throws your reasoning about Crean leaving because Marquette is private out the door. Maybe Few is just perfectly content at where he is at? IU is clearly a step above Gonzaga, and it seems to be obvious that Few is just fine with where he is. The Mark Few I saw on Jim Rome was a man who seemed to be very very pleased and content to be where he was at. He wants to win and stay there, his family is rooted there now, and his kids are in school there. Ever think his decision, and Bennett's, were based on those type of things?

If UNC had a vacancy, I am sure there would be someone out there who wouldn't want the job just because they are perfectly fine where they are at. Would that one person make UNC have less lure, even if a person with an equal resume accepted the job? Don't think so. And no, I am not saying IU has equal prestige right now to UNC, I am just saying that there will always be a coach who is content with where they are at, even though there is a chance to go to a seemingly more prestigious job.

By all accounts, Few hasn't gone anywhere because he is content with raising his family and living in Washington. Therefore, your anaylsis is severely flawed in saying that IU has little lure because of Few and Bennett not wanting the job, especially when two arguably better coaches in Sampson and Crean, have both accepted the job in the past two years while going on and on about the IU legacy. Crean might not be a Barnes or a Calipari, but he has just as strong, if not better, credentials than Few, so it's silly to say that because Few didn't want it that the job has lost it's luster. Sometimes people don't want to uproot their families, but that doesn't mean that IU doesn't have lure left in it.

Sollozzo
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM

He wasn't even interested in hearing their pitch, but they tried to contact him to do it. That say's more about the lure of the job, than if he actually did take the time and thought they were just low balling him.

So IU's program has no lure because Tony Bennett doesn't want the job?

Again, how in the world is Tony Bennett's opinion more important than Creans? I mean Bennett's a freaking third year coach, Crean has been around for a long time and has made a final four.

Hypothetically, if UCLA has a coaching search and there is a candidate that rejects him because they are comfortable with where they are, does that mean UCLA has no lure? Absolutely not. (And no, I'm not saying IU has the same amount of lure as UCLA).

tdubb03
04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
It takes a special kind of stupid to pick Washington State over Indiana.

How dare he choose personal and family happiness over national prominence! What an idiot! Just because the guy is happier at Wazoo than he thought he could be at IU doesn't make him stupid.

Shade
04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Crean's semi-connection to the Pacers yet.

tinsley#11
04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Crean's semi-connection to the Pacers yet.

You mean that he coached Travis Diener to the final four?

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
How dare he choose personal and family happiness over national prominence! What an idiot! Just because the guy is happier at Wazoo than he thought he could be at IU doesn't make him stupid.

I was basing that response off my feeling that Since believed Bennett chose Wazzu over IU based off where the two programs stand.

Kaufman
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Crean is well connected in many ways.

Diener

Harbaugh

Cam Cameron distantly I believe - Cameron hired John Harbaugh to assist at IU, John Harbaugh is the brother in law of Crean.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
It's a conspiracy!! Haha, he just has connections everywhere.. Maybe he's secretly in the Mafia..

:point:

Tom White
04-03-2008, 10:23 AM

At the risk of sounding entirely sarcastic....

AHHHHH, how nice of them!

Just another example of the inmates thinking they should run the asylum.

I think with both of them having been suspended earlier in the season, and now this latest situation, they should turn their focus more towards their own issues rather than worry about Dakich.

By the way, I also think if any of these guys thought Dakich was too discipine oriented - wait until they get on Crean's wrong side. He will be very demanding of their attention.

Tom White
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM

You do realize that Greenspan was the guy who fired Bennett's sister as the IU women's coach, don't you.?

Since86
04-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Adam, you proved my point when you said it wasn't UNC or UCLA.

People calling for Pearl, Barnes, Donovan, or Calipari, which I've heard that IU should go after. They aren't going to come to IU, like some would of had you to believe.

I would say that Few is content in his job, right now, with regards to leaving it for IU. That again, is my point. If a different program came knocking, he might not be so content to stay.

Crean was about as high up on the ladder as possible for them to get. I've thought realistically, he was the man they could get and needed to get.

But when I'm seeing posts, or hearing my friends talking about why Pearl would be a good fit and they should persue the likes of him, it makes my head spin. Hard core IU fans still picture the program as a top level elite coaching spot, which it isn't.

Few and Bennett are only examples of it, not the reason why I believe it. They just solidified my position, not started it.

Sollozzo
04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Adam, you proved my point when you said it wasn't UNC or UCLA.

People calling for Pearl, Barnes, Donovan, or Calipari, which I've heard that IU should go after. They aren't going to come to IU, like some would of had you to believe.

I would say that Few is content in his job, right now, with regards to leaving it for IU. That again, is my point. If a different program came knocking, he might not be so content to stay.

Crean was about as high up on the ladder as possible for them to get. I've thought realistically, he was the man they could get and needed to get.

But when I'm seeing posts, or hearing my friends talking about why Pearl would be a good fit and they should persue the likes of him, it makes my head spin. Hard core IU fans still picture the program as a top level elite coaching spot, which it isn't.

Few and Bennett are only examples of it, not the reason why I believe it. They just solidified my position, not started it.

I don't think we are in that much disagreement here, I realize that at this moment, IU isn't a UNC or UCLA (though I think it could get back to that level).

But I still think that it has quite a bit of pull left for some people, and Sampson or Crean are perfect examples of this. Both were long tenured at their schools, both had made final fours, and both go on and on about the lure of IU.

Therefore, I thought your premise of using Few to imply that IU didn't have much lure left was a tad bit unfair because 2 coach's with more impressive resume's have accepted the job within a two year span. Some people are content with where they are, and right now Few seems to be one of them. But his feelings don't mean much as far as lure of the program because two arguably better coaches accepted IU's offer. He loves Washington and raising his family there.

Like I said, in theory one could be offered the UCLA job and just not want it because they have strong roots in the community they are in with their family. But that certainly wouldn't negate the fact that UCLA is a top tier program, because an equally capable coach would eventually accept it.

Since86
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I see the IU job, as a top 20 job, not a top 10. The cloud isn't one of a national championship contender, but a basketball first school in a state where basketball is king. To me, it's about like Kentucky. Hanging on to the past, instead of realizing where they actually stand in the present.

Outside of the Final Four run, Few's resumee is better than Crean's. I will disagree with you there.

Crean has been to the tourney 6 times, only once getting out of the second round, the final four year. His overall record is 190-96 and 90-56 in conference.

Few has been to the tourney 9 times (every year he's coached) with a overall record of 236-60 and a conference record of 112-14. Granted, he's never been past the Sweet 16, but he's been there three times.

avoidingtheclowns
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Crean has been to the tourney 6 times, only once getting out of the second round, the final four year. His overall record is 190-96 and 90-56 in conference.

Few has been to the tourney 9 times (every year he's coached) with a overall record of 236-60 and a conference record of 112-14. Granted, he's never been past the Sweet 16, but he's been there three times.

Gonzaga (24)
St. Mary's
San Diego
Santa Clara
San Francisco
Pepperdine
Portland
Loyola Marymount

Georgetown (8)
Notre Dame (15)
Louisville (13)
Connecticut (16)
Marquette (25)
West Virginina
Pittsburgh (17)
Villanova
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
St. John's
South Florida
Rutgers

as fars as the conference record goes, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say coaching in the Big East is slightly more difficult than coaching in the WCC.

Coop
04-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Few's success has come in a very weak conference. I think Crean is the best possible guy for the job. There's no way I take Few over him.

Trader Joe
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I see the IU job, as a top 20 job, not a top 10. The cloud isn't one of a national championship contender, but a basketball first school in a state where basketball is king. To me, it's about like Kentucky. Hanging on to the past, instead of realizing where they actually stand in the present.

Outside of the Final Four run, Few's resumee is better than Crean's. I will disagree with you there.

:lol:

This is why statistics are fun. You can skew them however you like.

Whtwudusay
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Few's success has come in a very weak conference. I think Crean is the best possible guy for the job. There's no way I take Few over him.

Call me a skeptic, but I have a feeling that seeing Dan Monson, who took Gonzaga to the Elite 8 the year before Few was promoted to head coach, not exactly set the world on fire when he left Gonzaga for Minnesota may be a contributing factor to Few being comfortable where he is at. Just my opinion.

D-BONE
04-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe there was more to the Bennett thing then we will ever know. I still think it was possible he was told he was choice number two. If you had asked me to pick between Crean or Bennett last Friday I would have picked Crean every day. He comes from the Izzo coaching tree which I like more than the Bo Ryan tree, and he has won for a longer period of time. If Bennett truely was IU's number one choice and he said no before ever hearing the pitch then that is his loss. It takes a special kind of stupid to pick Washington State over Indiana.

Maybe there's a connection or which I'm unaware, but it seems like Tony Bennett's coaching tree would be that of Dick Bennett. Ryan didn't take over immediately after the elder Bennett stepped down-there was an interim guy that finished out the year. I believe Tony followed his father immeadiately out to WSU.

Whtwudusay
04-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Maybe there's a connection or which I'm unaware, but it seems like Tony Bennett's coaching tree would be that of Dick Bennett. Ryan didn't take over immediately after the elder Bennett stepped down-there was an interim guy that finished out the year. I believe Tony followed his father immeadiately out to WSU.

Dick didn't immediately go to Washington State. He took some time off. I think Tony did spend at least one year under Bo Ryan, but I'm not positive. However, like you, I naturally consider Tony as part of his dad's coaching tree.

Tom White
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Call me a skeptic, but I have a feeling that seeing Dan Monson, who took Gonzaga to the Elite 8 the year before Few was promoted to head coach, not exactly set the world on fire when he left Gonzaga for Minnesota may be a contributing factor to Few being comfortable where he is at. Just my opinion.

I think you are onto something there. Some people are simply happy doing what they are doing. Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that. They know how much pressure they can put up with and maintain that level of happiness, and don't feel the need to be on a larger stage, or a brighter spotlight.

Some folks might call that a lack of drive or ambition. Others call it being at peace with where you are.

Since86
04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Gonzaga (24)
St. Mary's
San Diego
Santa Clara
San Francisco
Pepperdine
Portland
Loyola Marymount

Georgetown (8)
Notre Dame (15)
Louisville (13)
Connecticut (16)
Marquette (25)
West Virginina
Pittsburgh (17)
Villanova
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
St. John's
South Florida
Rutgers

as fars as the conference record goes, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say coaching in the Big East is slightly more difficult than coaching in the WCC.

Which is why I included the tourney results. Gonzaga has had better runs throughout the nine years that Few and Crean have been at both places.

Sollozzo
04-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Which is why I included the tourney results. Gonzaga has had better runs throughout the nine years that Few and Crean have been at both places.

We could debate all day about who is better, and it really is splitting hairs, but the bottom line is Crean and Few are in the same class of coaches. They aren't a Pearl or a Calipari, but they are both right at the next level below that. I don't think anyone can argue with that. And what about 2006 Kelvin Sampson? He had a final four and an elite 8 in consecutive years in 02 and 03, and had been at Oklahoma for 12 years but decided that the lure of Indiana was too great to ignore. Sampson and Crean coached in superior conference to Few, but decided that IU was great enough to leave those situations.

It is a seriously flawed analysis to use Few to say that IU has little lure left when two coaches of equal caliber and similar performance have accepted the job in a two year span.

I don't get what exactly Few's tourny record proves. Are you saying that because he has gotten to the sweet 16 three times that IU isn't an attractive job? He still hasn't got over the hump with Gonzaga, and the 06 team with Morrison grossly underachieved, hell IU gave them a really tough game in the second round.

The bottom line is Gonzaga is in an inferior conference to the places that Sampson or Crean came from, and Sampson and Crean have shown they can get over the hump. Sampson and Crean faced far tougher competition night in and night out in the Big 12 and and Big East (yes, I know Crean was in CUSA for several years) than Few has with Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference.

Again, it's just silly to say that IU has lost lure because Mark Few didn't want the job when both Sampson and Crean have accepted it. Is it not obvious Few is perfectly content with living in Washington and raising his family there? Obviously IU is a bigger name than Gonzaga, so clearly there is something non-basketball related keeping him there.

Since86
04-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Where in the world did you make the jump that because Few has been to the Sweet Sixteen three times that IU wasn't an attractive job for him?

No, Few getting there three times shows that regardless of what conference he plays in, he has put together some pretty good freaking teams. It's not a stretch of the imagination at all, to suggest that Gonzaga competes with the likes of the Big East, which is what I'm saying when people suggest I'm using skewed statistics.
EDIT: Which is why I didn't put in conference championships, because ovbiously the WCC and the Big East differ in terms of team strength.

Again, it's just silly to say that IU has lost lure because Few didn't accept, because I'VE NEVER SAID IT.

I said it wasn't the reason for me thinking it, it was only evidence supporting my opinion.

IU isn't a top 10 job that it was in the past. That's my point. Stop trying to make it out to seem more than that. IU isn't as appealling as it was 10years ago, but hardcore IU fans still thinks it is.

THAT is my point, and my only point regarding Mark Few.

Sollozzo
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Where in the world did you make the jump that because Few has been to the Sweet Sixteen three times that IU wasn't an attractive job for him?

No, Few getting there three times shows that regardless of what conference he plays in, he has put together some pretty good freaking teams. It's not a stretch of the imagination at all, to suggest that Gonzaga competes with the likes of the Big East, which is what I'm saying when people suggest I'm using skewed statistics.
EDIT: Which is why I didn't put in conference championships, because ovbiously the WCC and the Big East differ in terms of team strength.

Again, it's just silly to say that IU has lost lure because Few didn't accept, because I'VE NEVER SAID IT.

I said it wasn't the reason for me thinking it, it was only evidence supporting my opinion.

IU isn't a top 10 job that it was in the past. That's my point. Stop trying to make it out to seem more than that. IU isn't as appealling as it was 10years ago, but hardcore IU fans still thinks it is.

THAT is my point, and my only point regarding Mark Few.

Dude, I really don't think we are in that much disagreement here and I think we're splitting hairs. I perfectly realize that IU isn't top 10 at this moment of time. I just meant it had quite a bit of pull left for second tier coaches like Sampson or Crean. And Few not coming here for personal reasons doesn't take away from that, because Sampson and Crean are in the same class of coaches as Few is. That is my last point here. I'm sorry if I mis interpreted anything that you said.

avoidingtheclowns
04-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Tom Crean would have to pay Indiana $3M for early opt out of 8-year deal

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Indiana is serious about keeping new basketball coach Tom Crean.

Under a preliminary deal between Crean and the university, Crean would owe $3 million if he resigns in the first three years of an eight-year contract. The amount lowers to $2 million in years four and five. It would be $1 million the last three years of the deal.

The contract is worth more than $18 million.

Indiana agreed to pay $650,000 to help buy out Crean’s contract at Marquette, where he was signed through 2017.

The Indiana deal calls for Crean to receive an annual base salary of $600,000 and more than $1 million a year for promotional appearances and other off-court work.

A final contract is expected to be signed by May 15.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=ArEBzQV4FqQ743yH_Ds9rqjevbYF?slug=ap-indiana-crean&prov=ap&type=lgns

tdubb03
04-08-2008, 01:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3335281

Marquette assistant Brent "Buzz" Williams has been promoted to head coach.

MagicRat
04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Tom Crean was a busy man last night at the Pacers game. He spent the most of halftime shaking hands and getting his picture taken with everybody who came up.

Toward the end of halftime he headed toward the Pacers locker room and security stopped him until somebody told the guy who he was......

Sollozzo
04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Tom Crean was a busy man last night at the Pacers game. He spent the most of halftime shaking hands and getting his picture taken with everybody who came up.

Toward the end he headed toward the Pacers locker room and security stopped him until somebody told the guy who he was......

That's cool. Thanks for the info.