PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Dan!

Elgin56
03-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Dakich tells Bassett and Ellis: You're gone

http://beta.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080331/NLETTER03/80331049

Coop
03-31-2008, 08:11 PM
This just makes me dislike DD more than I already do. He won't even be here next year. What does he think he's doing by kicking them off the team?

tdubb03
03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
There's been rumors about failed drug tests.

This can't, if it ends up being true, be Dakich's doing. Is he even employed by IU at this point? What grounds does he have to dismiss players?

Elgin56
03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
This just makes me dislike DD more than I already do. He won't even be here next year. What does he think he's doing by kicking them off the team?

He is getting rid of Sampson's rif raf and should be applaued for doing so. These two punks sabatoged IU's season, all for nothing. Sampson could care less about these two dope heads.

Coop
03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Armon Bassett is no rif raf. He was the only one outside of DJ that still showed up after Sampson was gone, even with a messed up ankle. He's been nothing but class the whole time he's been here. Calling him a punk is ridiculous to say the least.

Shade
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
This is bizarre, to say the least. Not very diplomatic.

We're going to be in the toilet for a while. We just lost our coach, five best players, and top recruit. Oy.

Robertmto
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
He is getting rid of Sampson's rif raf and should be applaued for doing so. These two punks sabatoged IU's season, all for nothing. Sampson could care less about these two dope heads.

Back up your claims of "dope heads" and "sabotaging the season" or just shut the hell up.

FWIW I believe the new IU coach will reinstate the players.

Trader Joe
03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I like it. They threatened to leave. They skipped a meeting. Its about time IU said we are the HOOSIERS, not the Bassetts or the Jamarcuses. Also the Herald Times is now reporting that Ellis and Basset want back on (Don't like too much when we tell you what you can and can't do, do ya fellas?) They hope that the ban will be converted to a suspension by whoever the new coach is.

I can say this, I was at the HPER tonight from 8-10 PM and Basset, Ellis, Crawford, McGee, and De were all there playing along with some wanna be football players. I thought that was interesting. Takes some guts to go out in public if you truely don't want to be here next year.

Trader Joe
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Also, it is interesting that no mention of Crawford, these guys had been attached at the hip for a while now.

Shade
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Also, it is interesting that no mention of Crawford, these guys had been attached at the hip for a while now.

I don't know much of Armon or JaMarcus off-the-court, but Jordan seems like a legitimately good kid. I'd have been shocked if he had been involved in this.

Trader Joe
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
I've always felt like Basset was more legit than JC, but who knows. I think more than likely the new coach will let them back on. Particularly if the rumors on the Peegs premium board are true. I don't want to post them, but if you are interested you can PM me.

Stryder
03-31-2008, 10:43 PM
If you don't follow the rules, then there are consequences...they were warned...what else can you say? they are adults.

heywoode
03-31-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm fine with it being a nice wakeup call for them....the perfect scenario is that they get to sweat it out for awhile and learn that they gotta fly straight as IU gets it's integrity back on the right track, and then when the new coach comes in, he can give them a second chance to show what they're made of....

FWIW, I wasn't that impressed with Ellis, but I liked Bassett a lot.

ABADays
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
There must be some kind of infestation in the state of Indiana.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 01:03 AM
How is it Armon's fault? This kid is clean. I know it.

Kraft
04-01-2008, 01:48 AM
I really hope no one really thinks Dakich is making these decisions by himself. There's no way the athletics department just sits idly by, letting an outgoing coach call major shots like this.

There's certainly more to the story, whatever it may be.

Frankly, I'm not sure it matters. Let everybody walk if they want. The team's in the toilet. Get the man you want and start fresh. And hope you get some breaks along the way.

I'm sure Indiana fans will like watching a guy like Matt Roth play. Bombs away, to the extreme.

duke dynamite
04-01-2008, 02:08 AM
He just is on a power trip because he knows his days are numbered. Dan Douche-bag needed to leave a mark somehow. Armon and Ellis will be back next season.

tdubb03
04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Can I copyright "Curse of Isiah Thomas"?

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Dan Dakich is a man of his word. He told these two if they did not show up at 6:00 AM to run they would be off the team. They did not show up.

I refuse to feel sorry for Bassett & Ellis.

Quit Making Dan Dakich out as the bad guy.

Elgin56
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Back up your claims of "dope heads" and "sabotaging the season" or just shut the hell up.

FWIW I believe the new IU coach will reinstate the players.

They are off the team, aren't they? Back up Jr.!

This is the kind of crap you get when you hire crap like Sampson. He recruits druggys and malcontents.

Do some research before you tell someone to shut the hell up.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I know for a fact Bassett smokes pot. I don't think he is a bad kid though, but I don't know why he keeps letting Ellis influence his decision making.

Since86
04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Bassett's suspension this year was for getting caught smoking, so if the shoe fits......

I'm an IU fan, but I don't want to hear the complaining. Step foot on Ball State's campus and ask about the basketball program and what ruins it was in this time last year.

Until your coach told all the players that they couldn't trust white people, after he fired every white person associated with the team (one athletic trainer that's nationally recognized who is the head trainer during the NFL combine), and then tries to get out of his contract for siting a racially hostile environment. Which he ended up getting a freaking buyout!

We had 8 total scholarship players for the entire season, none taller than 6'4", and then the leading scorer went down with a broken foot for half the season. To go along with it, there was only one senior, two juniors (the previously mentioned broken foot and a walk on). The rest were either freshman or red shirted freshman.

During the year of Ronnie Thompson, they had the worst season in school history, which was broken this year considering the circumstances.

Trust me, your not as down as much as what you think you are.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
He just is on a power trip because he knows his days are numbered. Dan Douche-bag needed to leave a mark somehow. Armon and Ellis will be back next season.

If a power trip entails being a man of integrity and being a COACH - them I'm all for him. Get rid of who you need to. I'm sure there are many at IU who give their blessings.

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I believe Alan Greenspan needs to be fired effective today. That is the first step in the cleaning up process.

travmil
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
This is the kind of crap you get when you hire crap like Sampson. He recruits druggys and malcontents.

So do you have a link to a story anywhere that says the kids in question are dopeheads? Can you back up the accusation you made in any way at all? Anything other than your opinion? Or are you still expecting everyone to just accept your opinion as fact? I don't think he should have told you to "shut the hell up" , but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for something that backs up your accusation. The way you fired back here makes it seem like you have nothing. If you do let's see it.

Elgin56
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
So do you have a link to a story anywhere that says the kids in question are dopeheads? Can you back up the accusation you made in any way at all? Anything other than your opinion? Or are you still expecting everyone to just accept your opinion as fact? I don't think he should have told you to "shut the hell up" , but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for something that backs up your accusation. The way you fired back here makes it seem like you have nothing. If you do let's see it.

Ever hear of common knowledge? I see you are bringing your politic board hate for me over here, nice.

travmil
04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Ever hear of common knowledge? I see you are bringing your politic board hate for me over here, nice.

So, no proof at all? Nothing to back up yet another baseless accusation? You are now irrelevant on all forums. Welcome to my ignore list. I'm sure you're heartbroken. Have a happy day!

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I do not care if Bassett and Ellis smoke weed or not. The fact is Dakich told them if they did not show up for the to run at 6:00 AM, they were off the team. They did not show up.

Kaufman
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Boys, girls, JayRedd,

Lets all calm down. This is obviously a touchy subject amongst many in the state and with IU ties. No need to ignore anyone and no need to be hateful. :chillpill:

Remember, its just sports. People are dying from cancer in the world.

Tom White
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I believe Alan Greenspan needs to be fired effective today. That is the first step in the cleaning up process.

I think you are confusing the former Federal Reserve Chariman with IU AD RICK Greenspan.

Elgin56
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
So, no proof at all? Nothing to back up yet another baseless accusation? You are now irrelevant on all forums. Welcome to my ignore list. I'm sure you're heartbroken. Have a happy day!

Yeah, do you have proof that man landed on the moon? It takes a small minded person to put someone on iggy. YOu can :censored:.

Since86
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I do not care if Bassett and Ellis smoke weed or not. The fact is Dakich told them if they did not show up for the to run at 6:00 AM, they were off the team. They did not show up.

You might as well say you don't care they raped a girl. (Hyperbole, I know......)

Getting high is not only breaking state/federal laws, it's against NCAA substance problems. It's banned in every sport.

You can't be arrested/fined/put on probation/or even serve jail time for missing a 6 AM meeting, but you can for drugs. Why in the world missing a meeting, which is against the rules, is a bigger problem for you than breaking the law is beyond me.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I think you are confusing the former Federal Reserve Chariman with IU AD RICK Greenspan.

if it isn't alan greenspan why aren't we buying out sean miller?

Slick Pinkham
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Dan Dakich is a man of his word. He told these two if they did not show up at 6:00 AM to run they would be off the team. They did not show up.

I refuse to feel sorry for Bassett & Ellis.

Quit Making Dan Dakich out as the bad guy.

I agree 100%.

I think Dakich is a terrible coach, but still he is the coach, right now anyway.

Whether it is your first day on the job or your last day, you can't let people get away with that crap, intentionally missing meetings and then skipping the punishment given to them, under the direct threat of being kicked off the team.

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Thank you for the correction.
I feel he needs to be fired and held accountable for the hiring of Sampson.

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
You might as well say you don't care they raped a girl. (Hyperbole, I know......)

Getting high is not only breaking state/federal laws, it's against NCAA substance problems. It's banned in every sport.

You can't be arrested/fined/put on probation/or even serve jail time for missing a 6 AM meeting, but you can for drugs. Why in the world missing a meeting, which is against the rules, is a bigger problem for you than breaking the law is beyond me.

Raping a women is morally wrong. Weed is not morally wrong. The only reason it is illegal is b/c the government makes so much money off criminalizing the product. We can discuss this in the political forum.

They missed a meeting, Dan Dakich told them they had to run at 6:00 Am for punishment he also told them if they did not show up to run they were both off the team. They did not show up to run. This shows; They do not care about their teammates or commitment to them. They should be off the team for that.

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
from Yahoo's Sports College BB Blog "The Dagger"

Tuesday, Apr 1, 2008 11:27 am EDT
Dan Dakich shows off giant onions before leaving Indiana

By Eamonn Brennan

Like a president doling out his last minute pardons, or a deposed dictator making one last shameful cash grab, the lame-duckiness of Dan Dakich's situation apparently does not affect him. Dakich, in last night's surprising addition to the hilarious saga that is IU basketball this season, kicked guard Armon Bassett and forward Jamarcus Ellis off Indiana's team (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AoMWywPaoA.a96QH.n1KZsjevbYF?slug=ap-indianadismissals&prov=ap&type=lgns).

The entire situation is incredibly weird: according to this report in the Indianapolis Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/SPORTS0601/804010342/1247/SPORTS), the two players missed a meeting that they weren't allowed to miss, which is not something one should be doing but which is not at all grounds for dismissal. According to the Bloomington Herald-Times (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1863), Dakich wanted the players to run sprints, and they told him they wouldn't, another act of insubordination that's not exactly polite but which isn't grounds for getting the long boot goodbye, either.

Of course there's more. Both players had disciplinary issues under former coach Kelvin Sampson that caused them to miss games, and those issues were never revealed. So Dakich's sudden curb-kicking was seen by some last night as an administration cleaning house by using a surrogate lame-duck coach to do so; all the while Dakich gets coaching cred among Indiana's conservative faithful for clearing the team of troublemakers. It would have fulfilled all that nonsense that IU people -- and North Carolina people, and others -- believe about their unique basketball "culture" and "doing things the right way." (Gag.) That would probably have made the most sense. But then there's this report (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1864), which claims both players are trying to maintain their eligibility and come back with a new coach. Maybe they're just engaging in a little wishful thinking. Or maybe they were told by the administration they'd have a second chance once IU completes its (equally embarrassing) coaching search.

If that's the case, it means at least one thing about Dan Dakich: the man has Sam Cassell-esque huevos (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/blog/ncaab_experts/post/sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/BDL-Bedlam-Rd-1-LeBron-James-vs-Sam-Cassell-?urn=nba,73879). Onions, as Bill Raftery might say. To know, within a matter of weeks, that you will no longer be the coach at IU and to still kick IU's two most valuable players off the team, leaving the cupboard literally bare for whoever eventually decides they want to coach in this circus, well, those are balls that John Wayne could envy. Either Dakich is working on behalf of his administration in cleaning house, or he just don't give a motherflip. Either way, IU looks pretty stupid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/blog/ncaab_experts/post/Dan-Dakich-shows-off-giant-onions-before-leaving?urn=ncaab,74519

Since86
04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Raping a women is morally wrong. Weed is not morally wrong. The only reason it is illegal is b/c the government makes so much money off criminalizing the product. We can discuss this in the political forum.

They missed a meeting, Dan Dakich told them they had to run at 6:00 Am for punishment he also told them if they did not show up to run they were both off the team. They did not show up to run. This shows; They do not care about their teammates or commitment to them. They should be off the team for that.

Morality it a moot point. It's against the law, it can and will get you fines/probation/jail time. Morality has nothing against it. Why it's illegal doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that it is ILLEGAL.

Next time you get popped for dope try that argument with the judge and see what happens. A nice laugh and a swift hit of the gavel is my guess, maybe even a rolling of the eyes.

Putting yourself in the position to be kicked off the team in the middle of the season for drug possession, hello Josh Hyfelt (spelling?) from Gonzaga. That really sends a good message to your teammates, "I would rather get high and not only jeopardize my freedom but my position on this team."

That's a much better message to send than, "I'm too tired to make a 6 AM meeting."

EDIT: I don't agree with most things about the NCAA and their rules/banned substances, alcohol and caffine being the two major, but they have no wiggle room when it comes to illegal drugs. Doing something illegal is a big no-no, no matter what it is. The NCAA has to follow those guidelines set forth by a higher power, the federal government.

Jonathan
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Since 86.
They were told if they did not show up at 6:30 AM to run, they would not be on the team. They did not show up. If you have a final and miss the test do you pass the class?
I worked at O'charley's in college, I had to wear a uniform and be on time for my work. I did this and trust me if I was getting a full scholarship 16-20 thousand a year. I would do whatever my coach told me too.
On a side note, I do not smoke weed.

Erik
04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
They were officially kicked off the team for missing their 6:00 appointment. I think that's Jonathan's point, he doesn't care if they smoke weed in their spare time, he not going to judge them for that. It was their disrespect for the coaches wishes that got them axed. And when you are looking at it from a "I don't care what they do in their spare time" point of view, then yes, morals are important. I wouldn't care if someone gets high in their spare time. But, I would care if someone rapes in their spare time.

Since86
04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Since 86.
They were told if they did not show up at 6:30 AM to run, they would not be on the team. They did not show up. If you have a final and miss the test do you pass the class?
I worked at O'charley's in college, I had to wear a uniform and be on time for my work. I did this and trust me if I was getting a full scholarship 16-20 thousand a year. I would do whatever my coach told me too.
On a side note, I do not smoke weed.

"I would do whatever my coach told me too." That's a great quote. I'm thinking that your coach doesn't need to directly tell you not to get high, it should go without saying.

I know it's an automatic 30day suspension for a failed NCAA given drug test, no matter the substance, whether it be alcohol or caffine. I would guess the suspension increases with the severity of the substance in question.

Missing a meeting doesn't always get you kicked off the team, unless previously stated like this one was, but drugs will automatically get you suspended or kicked off.

No matter how many different ways you say it, the punishment for smoking is always the same. Suspensions and/or getting kicked off the team. There is no exceptions.

Coop
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Alright, so say the final straw that kicked them off was missing the running session at 6:30 am. Doesn't Bassett have bone spurs in his ankle anyways? Why should he be running right now? I think it's just a weak attempt by DD to flex whatever remaining muscle he has left. Now, the job is even less appealing than it was before (Yes, it's possible). It's something that should have been dealth with by the next coach.

Since86
04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
They were officially kicked off the team for missing their 6:00 appointment. I think that's Jonathan's point, he doesn't care if they smoke weed in their spare time, he not going to judge them for that. It was their disrespect for the coaches wishes that got them axed. And when you are looking at it from a "I don't care what they do in their spare time" point of view, then yes, morals are important. I wouldn't care if someone gets high in their spare time. But, I would care if someone rapes in their spare time.

Do you think the coach cares if they get high? That is my point.

Going to meetings is a responsibility of the player, obeying the laws and NCAA regulations is also the responsibility of the player. Anything that jeopardizes they're ability to play should be cared about.

If this was Joe Schmo, who goes to the games decked out in IU gear, then I see your point, who cares. But this is a player on the team, who has the expectations of the coaches, unversity, and should be the fans to not put themselves in a position to where they wouldn't be able to play. That means don't break the law, and don't break NCAA rules/regulations.

Getting high is stupid, considering the amount of time it needs to clear your system. Drinking I can understand, not want them to do, but it's out within hours, and the most a day or two. For rec. users, they can be busted for getting high weeks ago. Not a good position to put yourself in.

EDIT: I didn't want to have another post, so I'll say this to Heartland. From the NCAA athletes that I know, they have to attend those things regardless of injuries and if they couldn't participate for another reason, unless they get it cleared first obviously. Every athlete is apart of the team. Being there builds team unity and all the other stuff that goes with it. Him just showing up and giving them support by just being there is what coaches want, to be a team.

JayRedd
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, do you have proof that man landed on the moon?

Well, that took 15 seconds...

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/section/learning/general/onthisday/big/0720_big.gif

Erik
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
If this was Joe Schmo, who goes to the games decked out in IU gear, then I see your point, who cares. I thought the whole point was that there was no proof that these guys were into weed, it was just someones assumption. So, yes I'm talking about a Joe Schmo like me not caring if another J. Schmo gets high. But you're right, if you're the coach then you had better care about any kinf of trouble that your kids get into, no matter how small.

JayRedd
04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Boys, girls, JayRedd,

Even the good doctor is burning me now.

I may need a new forum. What's this Rodent thing I keep hearing about?

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I believe Crean will more than likely reinstate both of them.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
YES - Way to go Dan! You had the balls to do what nobody else has done in years. Your stock is way, way up with me.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
YES - Way to go Dan! You had the balls to do what nobody else has done in years. Your stock is way, way up with me.

Too bad he's not the coach anymore. I do like that he tried to set some precedent, but I think Crean will let them back on.

Big Smooth
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Now if only he had a clue about how to coach basketball, then he would be a hot commodity. ;)

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe Crean will more than likely reinstate both of them.

He will likely speak w/ them & offer them the opportunity to earn a spot back on to the team, but I would not assume he offers them back w/ 100% open arms. He needs to set a standard, & ignoring disapline already in place for the actions they pulled would not send a good message.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Crean will want to win. Plus Crean has no past experience with this players. He might give them a short chain, but Crean will give them a shot. They won't have to earn their way back on IMO, but they may have to earn more and more leash.

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Crean will want to win. Plus Crean has no past experience with this players. He might give them a short chain, but Crean will give them a shot. They won't have to earn their way back on IMO, but they may have to earn more and more leash.

I could not disagree more!
They have reportedly had told both Sampson & Dakich to "F-Off" (literely) at times, missed or showed up hours late to multiple meetings, & didn't show any respect to the basketball program or the coaches.
Is this the type of behavior something you think should just be "dismissed Is that the kind of kids you want to give a free pass to?"? I sure wouldn't, & from what I've heard about Crean, he will not accept either.
He should be fair in offering them an opportunity to stay, but they made the choices that lead to their dismissle, not anyone else.
Clean progran, Good kids. That is what IU deserves.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I think you're misunderstanding my point. I don't disagree that their actions are disrespectful, but I don't think they will have to work that hard to be let back on. If they want back on I think Crean will allow them back.

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't think I misunderstand, we disagree on the "ease" they will have to return. I think the road they will have to follow to be "fully" reinstated will be a lot harder then you do. I agree that if they want, & agree to follow the rules & show respect, they will be allowed back on, but I don't think it will be w/o conversations & a lot of effort on their part.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Now if only he had a clue about how to coach basketball, then he would be a hot commodity. ;)

There have been better and there has been worse. But he needs to stay on the staff because he is the only link in carrying forward the way it's done in Indiana. There is no question in my mind what Dakich did will carry some positive weight with the parents of recruits. He sttod for something with integrity.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM

I'm not interested in having them back. It would just go to show you can dump on your coaches time and again and get away with it. Screw that.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I'll take Basset back.

Coop
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll take Basset back.

Ditto. I hadn't heard anything bad about Bassett until this year when all these random rumors started coming up. He's always been a good kid here and I'm hoping what may have happened this year was an anomaly because of the situation he was in. Plus, it would help to have his near 50% 3pt shooting on the team next year :)

Ellis, otoh, is a different story. I really didn't like the way he carried himself after Sampson left. It seemed like he was the first one to quit and it just rubbed off on a lot of the other players. He completely lost his head against Northwestern if I recall correctly and almost cost us the game.

travmil
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, that took 15 seconds...

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/section/learning/general/onthisday/big/0720_big.gif

LOL. Well at least someone gets it.

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Ellis and Basset want back on I guess.

De and Crawford were never planning on leaving. (Like De had a choice)

Granted this interview doesn't make Ellis look very good, but he does want back on now that Crean is coach.

http://www.idsnews.com/basketblog/

ABADays
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Ellis and Basset want back on I guess.

De and Crawford were never planning on leaving. (Like De had a choice)

Granted this interview doesn't make Ellis look very good, but he does want back on now that Crean is coach.

http://www.idsnews.com/basketblog/

Good Lord - someone needs to rush these kids into an English grammar course.

Stryder
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM

I agree. It is very disheartening to see that these kids are enrolled in a top-notch university, yet they cannot speak with good grammar. It isn't just them; it's a whole generation of kids that cannot speak properly. Very sad.

Also, I never left the team, I quit, Ellis said. So it really wasnt that we got kicked off, we quit. Im looking forward to still being a Hoosier, I never had intentions on leaving, that wasnt even an option.

----

Wow. So, he never had intentions of leaving, but he quit the team? BRILLIANT! It's kind of like if I were to tell my boss that I quit my job, but stay around the building and tell everyone that I had no intention of leaving.

ABADays
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree. It is very disheartening to see that these kids are enrolled in a top-notch university, yet they cannot speak with good grammar. It isn't just them; it's a whole generation of kids that cannot speak properly. Very sad.

Also, I never left the team, I quit, Ellis said. So it really wasnt that we got kicked off, we quit. Im looking forward to still being a Hoosier, I never had no intentions on leaving, that wasnt even an option.

----

Wow. So, he never had intentions of leaving, but he quit the team? BRILLIANT! It's kind of like if I were to tell my boss that I quit my job, but stay around the building and tell everyone that I had no intention of leaving.

Fixed

Robertmto
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
They are off the team, aren't they? Back up Jr.!

Research? Oh you mean like backing up accusations? Hmmmm

NO i shoul dhave actually :D

Kraft
04-02-2008, 02:33 AM
If these guys get booted one day, and the next day Crean is hired, I have to believe that the incoming coach knew about and was OK with the dismissals.

To me, the whole thing just screams that Dakich was the fall guy, mainly because of his loyalty to Indiana basketball. It doesn't look good if Crean comes in and boots two players. Better to let the lowly interim coach take the hit.

I could be wrong, but if Crean brings them back, it would seem like a step in the wrong direction.

Since86
04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I thought the whole point was that there was no proof that these guys were into weed, it was just someones assumption. So, yes I'm talking about a Joe Schmo like me not caring if another J. Schmo gets high. But you're right, if you're the coach then you had better care about any kinf of trouble that your kids get into, no matter how small.

I'm going by the reports earlier in the season as to why they were suspended. The official reasoning was them breaking team rules, but I have several different links to knowing IU players. From mutual friends of players, and yes it's plural. The story was all the same, they got busted with weed but it wasn't by a drug screen so no NCAA punishment. I'll admit the first story I heard was they were drinking but the rest came up as getting high, so....

The reason as to why they were suspended could be wrong, I don't think it is but then again it's an internet message board so why believe me just because I say so. The fact of the matter is, they both have been suspended earlier in the season for breaking team rules, and now they missed a mandatory meeting. Something is up with both, whatever the reason, and a pattern is emerging.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Dakich was apparently seen cleaning out his office last night according to ESPN even though IU told him he could stay on in some capacity. If that jackass kicked off Basset and Ellis and then turns tail and runs somewhere else, he can go screw himself. I would lose all respect I have for him as a person, because I have already lost all the respect I had for him as a coach. That would be a totally classless move and truely prove that Dakich isn't as much of an IU guy as he likes to claim to be. There better be more to this otherwise I hope Basset and Ellis are allowed back on because if this is true it sounds to me like Dakich was just acting like a little kid who didn't get the toy he wanted at the store. The toy in this case being the head coaching job at IU, something he was never qualified for in the first place.

Elgin56
04-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Dakich was apparently seen cleaning out his office last night according to ESPN even though IU told him he could stay on in some capacity. If that jackass kicked off Basset and Ellis and then turns tail and runs somewhere else, he can go screw himself. I would lose all respect I have for him as a person, because I have already lost all the respect I had for him as a coach. That would be a totally classless move and truely prove that Dakich isn't as much of an IU guy as he likes to claim to be. There better be more to this otherwise I hope Basset and Ellis are allowed back on because if this is true it sounds to me like Dakich was just acting like a little kid who didn't get the toy he wanted at the store. The toy in this case being the head coaching job at IU, something he was never qualified for in the first place.

*SNIP*

Sampson recruited these punks and now they should be swept out like yesterdays newspaper. Glad that they are gone, don't want to see their faces anywhere near AH.

Keep the personal insults out of it. - Shade

DisplacedKnick
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Dakich was apparently seen cleaning out his office last night according to ESPN even though IU told him he could stay on in some capacity.

So you're mad at Dakich because now that IU's hired a new head coach he's taking his stuff out of the head coach's office?

Uh, OK.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
So you're mad at Dakich because now that IU's hired a new head coach he's taking his stuff out of the head coach's office?

Uh, OK.

Will his new office not be in Assembly Hall?

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Sampson recruited these punks and now they should be swept out like yesterdays newspaper. Glad that they are gone, don't want to see their faces anywhere near AH.

*SNIP*

And yes Dakich played four years at IU under the winningest coach of all time, and he also played under a guy who wouldn't know what class was if it came up and slapped him in the face. Has there been a man with less class than Bob Knight? How easy it is to forget Knight's complete and total lack of all things classy when he was hanging banners in AH, huh? Winning cures all ills? Saying Dakich learned how to be classy from his play under Bob Knight is probably one of the most laughable things I have read recently.

Post modified due to original post being edited. - Shade

Shade
04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Play nice. Don't make me turn this thread around. :security:

Kaufman
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM

When I was in my younger years at Indiana University in Bloomington, it was joked that IDS (Indiana Daily Student) stood for I don't spell.

Trader Joe
04-03-2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/SPORTS0601/80402062

Sounds to me like Dakich is leaving....

Very kind of Dan to leave the program in such fantastic shape.

Kraft
04-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong ...

But wasn't Armon Bassett a Mike Davis player anyway? Didn't Sampson have to re-recruit him after getting hired?

This whole 'Sampson brings in bad seeds' bit is just a tad much. Every program has mistakes. Up at Purdue, Tarrance Crump was involved with a hit-and-run shortly after getting to campus. Jonathan Uchendu left after a season and an alcohol incident.

The only difference is that IU has a giant microscope on it because of Kelvin's errant ways.

duke dynamite
04-03-2008, 04:10 AM
If a power trip entails being a man of integrity and being a COACH - them I'm all for him. Get rid of who you need to. I'm sure there are many at IU who give their blessings.
From what most of the interviews I've heard on the local news, Crean will be getting in touch with the two players by the end of the week. I don't know what direction he will go, whether uphold the punishment, or reinstate. Only time will tell. I got to meet Armon a couple of times when he was taking a summer class at Ivy Tech Bloomington before his freshman year. I have this feeling that he isn't a thug gansta. But that is IMO.

Tom White
04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
When I was in my younger years at Indiana University in Bloomington, it was joked that IDS (Indiana Daily Student) stood for I don't spell.

Ha! We used to call it the Daily Stupid.

Tom White
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
On the general subject of this thread, I heard an interesting snipet from Crean on the TV yesterday.

He basically said that he expects his players to be ON TIME for meetings, practices, etc. That he expects them to SHOW RESPECT for the coaches and staff, other players, the university, and others in general, and lastly to have SELF-RESPECT in the way they CONDUCT themselves.

From what I know about the way Crean does things, these will not be empty words.

Elgin56
04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
On the general subject of this thread, I heard an interesting snipet from Crean on the TV yesterday.

He basically said that he expects his players to be ON TIME for meetings, practices, etc. That he expects them to SHOW RESPECT for the coaches and staff, other players, the university, and others in general, and lastly to have SELF-RESPECT in the way they CONDUCT themselves.

From what I know about the way Crean does things, these will not be empty words.

I like what he is saying, however his actions will speak louder than strong words on the subject. The easy way out would be to let these two back on the team and try to win next year, however he would be selling his soul for a few more wins in what should be just an average year. I say he should take his lumps in the loss column next year, knowing that he did the right thing in not taking these two malcontents back on the team.

Jusst say no!