PDA

View Full Version : Recent TV Ratings Has Me Wondering Something....

Bball
06-07-2004, 01:59 PM
So we see the Pacers V Detroit was a high rated game as was last night's LA v Detroit.

Sooooo Does John Q Public 'like' defense and highly contested games? Has the NBA cultivated a group of fans that like run and gun and razzle-dazzle but the bigger audience (casual viewers and others) actually like something else?

I ask because one complaint we kept hearing from (some) mediots and some fans was that the games were ugly. I believe somebody had written to the Star lamenting the lack of scoring this season and talking how they weren't entertained by these Pacers. But is that really speaking for the majority of potential fans? ...Or is that just speaking of some fans that they (NBA) have cultivated in that last several years?

-Bball

sweabs
06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Speaking to people I know who are "real" basketball fans - I know previously they would never even think to watch an NBA game.

Their argument was always something among the lines of "Those professionals don't play with any heart, and never play defense. It's all entertainment...all about scoring". But these are what I would call true fans of the sport - and NEVER miss NCAA games - because the kids go out there and give it their all, and play some strong defense like the game is meant to be played.

So I think that the Pistons/Pacers series has brought some of the real fans of basketball back to watching the NBA. That series was all about executing plays, making defensive stops, and giving 110% every night - and that is enough to make any real fan tune in and watch.

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I'll be honest. I hated watching NBA basketball until the '90's. I'd never watch anyone but the Knicks (and didn't particularly enjoy that) and some playoff games. The games were so wide open, players didn't look like they really competed and defense seemed to be an afterthought.

I used to be much more of a college fan and only watch the pro team I followed. That's reversed. Now I watch pro games whenever I can and only try to catch college games of teams I follow, and the tournament.

I don't think NBA fans are as stupid as the sports media wants to make them out to be. Maybe the media tries to portray them that way because they'd have to be pretty dumb to know less than the average sportswriter.

Good basketball's good basketball at every level and that includes playing defense.

Kstat
06-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Also doesn't hurt to have Detroit playing, as Suave mentioned before. Per Capita, Detroit is the NBA's biggest draw. Ever recent finals Detroit has been the highest-rated city without a team participating.

The ECF I think was appreciated because most of the games were VERY close. You couldn't turn off your TV because one team may make a move to take control.

The Finals is more about franchise history than any other round. Franchises that have a history will get a look from a casual fan that remembers the old days. I'm sure a LOT of people who couldn't name 2 players on Detroit were thinking, "Detroit vs LA? That used to be pretty damn good," and turned on the TV.

Bball
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
-snip-

The Finals is more about franchise history than any other round. Franchises that have a history will get a look from a casual fan that remembers the old days. I'm sure a LOT of people who couldn't name 2 players on Detroit were thinking, "Detroit vs LA? That used to be pretty damn good," and turned on the TV.

I can accept the first part (that I snipped) but I doubt the second part (above) mattered much at all.

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
We have to keep things in perspective.

Game 7 of the Bulls v Pacers in 1998 got a 19.5 rating. Game #1 last night got a 11.6.

Lakers draw a lot of casual fans to their TV's, as much because people hate them, and this year because of all the news about the Lakers.

Anthem
06-07-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't think NBA fans are as stupid as the sports media wants to make them out to be. Maybe the media tries to portray them that way because they'd have to be pretty dumb to know less than the average sportswriter.

:applause: