PDA

View Full Version : Tbird analysis: Making the case for Mike Montgomery for next IU basketball coach

thunderbird1245
03-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Hello everyone, and thanks for reading this opinion piece on IU basketball.

First of all, a little background:

I live very near Assembly Hall, and have been a big IU fan practically my entire life. I went to school there, grew up watching their games on television and in person, and have always rooted for the Hoosiers. I met Coach Knight when I was 8 years old, and maintained a relationship with him all the way thru high school, college, and then later in my professional life. Thru other ways in my own coaching experiences I've got to meet alot of other famous coaches and celebrities, such as John Cheney, Lon Kruger, John Thompson, Dick Vitale, Jim Boeheim, and many others.

What my own coaching background, knowledge of the IU scene and culture, and my own experiences as a fan all give me is a really clear idea of what IU basketball has been, what it is now, and what it needs in the future.

IU should be looking at the following criteria when picking their next coach, in my opinion:

1. Has he proven he can win big over time?
2. Will he represent the university with class, dignity and honor?
3. Can he unite the fanbase by running his program the way the culture of Indiana fans want and expect?
4. Can he win clean, with a spotless reputation for honesty and high academic standards?
5. Can he recruit the best players in the state, and some of the premier players in the country to come play here?
6. Can he win and survive in difficult circumstances, since likely IU will be facing some early problems no matter who is hired?

I understand the early clamoring for a young coach, I really do. I would not be disappointed at all if we hired a Brownell from Wright State, a Sean Miller from Xavier, or if the rumors tonight in Bloomington are true and we hire Tony Bennett from Washington State. All those guys have clear appeal and I could and would be happy with any of them.

But, and this is a big but, there is a better candidate out there, one who would clearly be head and shoulders above the rest, due to his outstanding, impeccable reputation and resume. That man is the same man I wrote Rick Greenspan about the last time the job was open, and the same man I myself confirmed the last time would have been likely to take the job if offered. That man is ex Stanford Coach Mike Montgomery. Here are my reasons for proclaiming Monty as the very best candidate:

1. Montgomery has the experience necessary to win big under difficult circumstances. Coaching at Montana and Stanford (an extremely prestigious academic school) he compiled a record of 547-244 record. He has been to the final four, and has been named the James Naismith National Collegiate coach of the year. He was the Pac-10 coach of the year 4 different times. He won the John Wooden lifetime achievement in coaching award, which states as its criteria high character, coaching philosophy, and high academic achievements by his players. He won 30 games or more 3 times, won 20 or more 10 straight seasons No candidate being talked about comes close to this proven success.

2. Montgomery has the street credibility to recruit big time talent to IU with his NBA experience and ties. Coach Montgomery will be able to talk to kids with NBA aspirations with a credibility that others will not. He already put together a hall of fame worthy career at a school much harder to recruit at than IU.

3. His coaching style is entertaining and fun to watch. I know winning is what the fan base really craves, but there are a big group of us (me included) who likes the idea of playing man defense with a motion offense. Montgomery can provide that eye pleasing, more uptempo team oriented style, than the other candidates being mentioned.

4. He can put Bloomington on the map internationally, with his ties to USA basketball. Montgomery has been on the staff or in the background for USA/Olympic basketball for many years, his high profile can bring some of that to Bloomington and to IU. His abilty to recruit internationally will also be a big help to IU, as the Hoosiers will have to try some unconventional methods early to make up for expected recruiting sanctions.

5. Not to be overlooked at IU, Montgomery financially will require no buy out. For an institution still paying big bucks to coaches and athletic directors long since departed, the very fact that Montgomery will require less up front cash cannot be overlooked.

6. This is a hire that completely can unite the fanbase, because his resume is so clearly superior that no one can argue it. 18 months ago, Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News wrote an article titled "Montgomery perfect hire for any college: Former Stanford coach has great resume, recruiting record, no baggage." (www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/14823802/ (http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/14823802/))
Every Indiana sportswriter, columnist, announcer, fan, and player would just have to nod their head and say "Yes, this was a no brainer."

7.Likely, Montgomery would bring with him a great name from Indiana Hoosier past glory as a likely heir apparent: Keith Smart. Smart went into coaching after his playing days were over, and was on Montgomery;s staff with the NBA's Golden State Warriors. I hear thru the grapevine that Smart is open to coming back to Bloomington, where he once starred for the Hoosiers, and hit the game winning shot for the 1987 National Champions. Smart's hiring as an assistant/coach in waiting would eliminate going through this task again in 6-10 years, and would prevent opponents from using Montgomery's age against him. (potentially Montgomery's one flaw is that he is 60 years old). However, I must point out that Lute Olsen is still a great coach and recruiter in his 70's at Arizona.....so I don't personally see age as an issue here.

8. Because Montgomery is a new face to the midwest and to the big 10, his style in of itself would give us an advantage for a time, since it is different than most teams in the league currently run. IU would probably be one of the more fluid, eye pleasing, running teams in the conference, which to me is a lot better than watching a bunch of one on one play or a Wisconsin like grind it out game in the 50's. His newness and fresh approach also would help eliminate some of the stink and stench of the last few years, all the way back to the end of the Coach Knight era.

9. He opens up new areas of the country to recruit from. Particularly, I believe Montgomery will be able to recruit to Indiana great players from the Rocky Mountains to California. This, along with reestablishing the recruiting ties to our own state's high school players, will give us an edge over our competitors. To help with recruiting the state of Indiana, I have it on reasonably good authority that Montgomery would strongly consider hiring a state high school coach who knows the state very well, along with being very open to keeping Coach MacCallum on staff, which I think is the right way to go about it.

Ok, now I would like some help from you who are reading this. If you agree that I have successfully made my case, tell some of your friends and family about Montgomery too. Let's try and get a groundwell of support going for a low key guy who isn't the "hot" young name going around. Copy this and send it to your local paper or tv station, or copy it and send it to the IU search committee.....who from some of the administrations previous decisions clearly needs our input.

Regardless of what happens, IU is clearly in a state of turmoil and confusion that will take a remarkable coach with tons of knowledge, contacts, and recruiting skills to overcome, and he will have to do it with high integrity and class. Only one man available has PROVEN for sure he can do it. Let's get Mike Montgomery as our new head basketball coach.

As always, the above is just my opinion.

Tbird

Trader Joe
03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Montgomery's too old IMO. We need someone for the long haul. He is a good coach, but he has been out of the college game for a while. I'd much rather see Bennett or Miller.

Big Smooth
03-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Montgomery's too old IMO. We need someone for the long haul. He is a good coach, but he has been out of the college game for a while. I'd much rather see Bennett or Miller.

He has been out of the college game but he hasn't been out of basketball. He coached in the NBA and now he does commentary/analysis for college hoops on Westwood One. He still knows the game. Plus bringing Smart with him would almost be like training his eventual successor. I think it can work and I appreciate tbird's post.

However, not all IU fans will be as understanding and I've already seen some harsh reactions on other boards to the idea of Montgomery getting the job. But I think that would go away fairly quickly.

avoidingtheclowns
03-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I can't see Keith Smart coming here if it is just for an assistant position. Head coach? Maybe. But NBA assistants get paid more and he's already been named to don nelson's successor.

I tend to agree with Indy in wanting a younger coach -- not because it is a 'hot' name but because i tend to think it'd be best to get a guy that could grow with a program. IU is going to take several steps back now and we tried a quick fix guy like kelvin. so maybe now its time to get a younger guy so that in the 6-10 years tbird was talking about we might not have to look for a new coach like we probably would with a 66-70yo Montgomery.

Also Terry Hutchens (IndyStar Hoosier Reporter) would probably not be a sportswriter that'd say "Yes, this was a no brainer." see #13...

1. Bruce Pearl -- His name continues to come up and personally I think if Indiana came calling that he'd have to give it some consideration. At Tennessee, he's still at a football school and in many ways plays second fiddle to women's basketball, too. But this one would be a hard sell for me. I just think some of his past problems (especially when he was at Iowa) would make him not a desirable candidate especially when you're trying to get as far away from the troubles you've experienced over the last two seasons as possible. And if you thought Kelvin Sampson was hated at Illinois, watch what would happen when Bruce Pearl set foot in the other Assembly Hall.

2. John Calipari -- Another guy who may have had a little baggage from UMass but a coach who I would think would be very interested in the IU job. Memphis is one thing but it's still a good school in a bad conference. Could he win a national championship at Memphis? Maybe. But Indiana is still Indiana. Again, the question here becomes whether this is a guy IU would really want to go after considering all of the current circumstances.

3. Tom Izzo -- I've heard it from enough people now to believe that if Indiana came calling that Izzo would give the Hoosiers a long look. And here's my question: If you could get Izzo right now, wouldn't you do that in a heartbeat? He's a great x's and o's coach, he can recruit and he's a good face for the program. He would bring instant credibility back to Indiana University. My question is when push came to shove, though, could he pull the trigger and go from one Big Ten school to another? I find that hard to believe, but again I'm hearing it from enough people to think that he's interested at some level. And like I said, if Izzo is interested, I'd say go get him.

4. Sean Miller -- If you want the good, young, up and coming coach, he's the guy. He has Xavier playing at a high level and I've heard nothing but good things about him. Again, if the good, young coach is what you're looking for, I would think Miller would be someone you'd have to take a long look at.

5. Brad Brownell -- I would say he's the same category, but if I were to choose between the two I would take Miller. Brownell has done good things at Wilmington and now at Wright State but I'd feel more comfortable if he had one more bigger program on his resume.

6. Steve Alford -- You know his name will come up and he's done a good job at New Mexico this year. I'm sure he'll say all the right things publically, but you have to know that this is a job he still covets and if Indiana came calling I can't imagine Alford looking the other way. Is the right guy for the job? I still think it's hard to say. I think he had a mixed bag at Iowa, and like I said he's done good things at New Mexico. There's no question that if you're looking for someone to re-unify the masses, that Alford would probably be a good choice. What I find interesting is that whenever you bring up his name in a forum such as this one, you have a ton of people saying hire him, and a ton of people saying absolutely not. That's the only thing that worries me a little bit.

7. Randy Wittman -- If it's an Indiana guy you want, then Wittman would be a good choice but with Wittman you have a coach who has never recruited at the college level. For me, that would be too big of a hurdle to overcome.

8. Scott Skiles -- Same problem. Good NBA experience, but nothing at this level.

9. Scott Drew -- I think this is an interesting choice on many levels. He has ties to the state and he's shown he can bring a program back from a negative situation with what he has done at Baylor. If you want a high character guy to lead this program, I think he would be an excellent choice.

10. Anthony Grant -- Another up and coming guy but in my opinion someone like Sean Miller would still be a better selection.

11. Dan Dakich -- I like Dan but I'm just not sure he has the resume that Indiana is looking for here. Now, if the Hoosiers make a long run in the NCAA Tournament I think they'll have to give him a long look. What I would like to see is for the guy who gets the job to bring someone like Dakich back and have him on the IU staff. I just think Dakich needs to be involved at some level with the Hoosiers.

12. Ray McCallum -- If they put Dakich in as the interim coach over McCallum, I can't imagine them hiring Ray as the next permanent head coach. Again, depending on who the next coach turns out to be, McCallum is another guy who would be good to have on your staff. Not to mention the fact that at some point his son will be looking for a college at which to play.

13. Mike Montgomery -- I don't see it. How old is he? 60. And is he really the guy you want to take this program into the future?

14. Rick Pitino -- Never say never. He's had Kentucky and Louisville. Why not complete the trifecta with the Hoosiers?

15. Kevin Stallings -- The thing that is most difficult for me to get past is whether IU would hire a guy who has Purdue ties? They did it with Sharon Versyp and look how well that turned out. I think he's a pretty good coach but I just don't know if he's hireable because of the Purdue thing.

16. Billy Donovan -- When you see the facilities they have, and you look at the climate you're living in and remember that just last year he turned down an solid NBA offer to say with the Gators, I don't think it would happen. But I think his name is worth throwing out there.

17. Tom Crean -- Another name that always comes up. I haven't heard it as much this time as I did after Davis resigned. Here's one for you though. If Izzo did come to IU, one would think the dominos would begin falling with Crean heading to Michigan State.

18. Dane Fife -- No. But someone always seems to bring up his name. Dane needs a couple of more stops before his name is mentioned in IU circles.

19. Ron Hunter -- No. He's done good things at IUPUI but I don't think you make the jump from the Jags to the Hoosiers.

20. Thad Matta -- No. I think he's happy where he's at.

21. Bob Knight -- Let's don't go there. I don't think either party is willing to go down that road just yet.

22. Pat Knight -- No. Guilt by association, and another guy, like Fife, who I think would need a lot of seasoning before he would be ready to coach the Hoosiers.

23. Mark Few -- Another guy who was a hot name two years ago but seems to have faded this time around. I just think if he wasn't interested then, he won't be interested now.

24. Tony Bennett -- I think he's a fine young coach, but I wonder if the problems his sister had when she was the IU women's coach and the way she was let go, would make it difficult for her bro to seriously look at Indiana.

25. Rick Majerus -- He's done good things at Saint Louis but I doubt if his name will come up in the conversation for the IU job. I've been wrong before but I don't see this one as a strong possibility.

http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/archives/2008/03/ok_lets_talk_co.html

thunderbird1245
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM

In a country where a man in his 70's in John McCain may be elected to the Presidency of the United States, I see no reason why a man who is 60 can't be a great basketball coach for Indiana University.

As for Hutchens, he knows my opinion on this matter already I believe.

Tbird

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Because head coach at Indiana University is a much more important job than president of the United States. ;)
However, with the Presidency you know they will only be there for 4-8 years. Recruits need to know there coach will be there for a long time.

I just think we need a young guy who will bring new life to the program. I think Bennett or Miller can do that. What does hiring a guy like Montgomery say? To me it says that IU has taken a long, hard fall from grace. We need someone to bring stability and will be here for the long haul. We don't need someone who is going to coach for 4-5 years and then retire. Its just not a rational decision for IU basketball at this point. We need someone who can lead this team for a minimum of 10-15 years.

obnoxiousmodesty
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
The Hoosier Scoop is reporting Bennett has turned down IU.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Just yesterday Bennett denied us ever speaking to him. I'm not believing much of anything I read online right now. I don't think anyone really knows what is going on.

pwee31
03-30-2008, 07:32 PM

ESPN is reporting it as well.

Kaufman
03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080330/SPORTS0601/80330010/1004/SPORTS

star also reporting the same

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd also say this...according to Hutch on IndyStar Bennett still claims he was never offered the job, but that he said hes not interested in pursuing it. To me that says that Bennett was told that he is the backup plan to someone else right now.

Kegboy
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd also say this...according to Hutch on IndyStar Bennett still claims he was never offered the job, but that he said hes not interested in pursuing it. To me that says that Bennett was told that he is the backup plan to someone else right now.

:rollout:

Of course, it couldn't have anything to do with him having a good team returning next year, or how bad Greenspan jobbed his sister.

Elgin56
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
If they would have hired Alford, IU would have been spared all of this drama and would be well on their way to being an elite basketball program once again. ;)

Coop
03-30-2008, 08:29 PM
If they would have hired Alford, IU would have been spared all of this drama and would be well on their way to being an elite basketball program once again. ;)

:suicide4:

Elgin56
03-30-2008, 08:35 PM
:suicide4:

Yeah, and where did Davis and Sampson get us? That's right, in the deep do do.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
:rollout:

Of course, it couldn't have anything to do with him having a good team returning next year, or how bad Greenspan jobbed his sister.

:lol:

You must not be aware that he had FIVE seniors leaving from this years team. That Wazzu team is worse off talent wise than IU will be next year.
And if he doesn't want to coach at IU cause we canned his sister cause she couldn't win then I'm not interested in him any longer.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I mean look how well he did at Iowa this year. Oh wait...

Kegboy
03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
:lol:

You must not be aware that he had FIVE seniors leaving from this years team. That Wazzu team is worse off talent wise than IU will be next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3321105

While Washington State loses seniors Derrick Low (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22490), Kyle Weaver (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22493) and Robbie Cowgill (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22495), they are expected to return key juniors Taylor Rochestie (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22130) and Aron Baynes (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27108). The Cougars' recruiting class is led by Klay Thompson (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44375), the son of former NBA player Mychal Thompson.

And if he doesn't want to coach at IU cause we canned his sister cause she couldn't win then I'm not interested in him any longer.

Yes, she only won IU's 2nd Big Ten Title ever.

Elgin56
03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I mean look how well he did at Iowa this year. Oh wait...

Right, he left Iowa with the NCAA pounding at the front door.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Um, that recruiting class is lead by a 3 star recruit. Lets not twist the facts. Just because he is the kid of a former NBA player doesn't make him a mortal lock to be a star.
Wazzu is losing four seniors (not five like I originally thought.), and two of those are the teams best players by far and Cowgill isn't too shabby himself.
That team will struggle to make the tourney next year.

We haven't even begun to analyze the insanity of wanting to coach at Washington Sate over Indiana.
Oh, by the way, here is an exact quote from Kathi Bennett from her press conference...

KB: " It was definitely my decision. I think that the losing does take its toll and I definitely have a desire to get closer to my family. Personally for me, I feel like the timing is right and I think we have some good young players. We are knocking on the door. It's a good opportunity for someone to come in and have some success and a good opportunity for me at this time for personal reasons to take a step away."
Doesn't sound like much for him to be upset about.

Like I said though, I don't believe much of what I'm reading about this. Call me crazy, but I think the guy who ends up getting hired is going to come out of left field.

FOR THE RECORD, I'm done commenting on the IU coach search til Thursday. Hopefully by then we will actually have something concrete to comment on. If not hopefully we can talk about the firing of Greenspan. Either way I'm removing myself from the conversation at this point, because I believe 90% of what we are hearing is just smoke and mirrors anyway.

grace
03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
For all the reasons that tbird said I think Montgomery would be a great choice for IU. Sixty is not old. Besides IU's last 2 coaches were younger and look how well that turned out.

As for Bennett turning down the job I admit I was only half listening to the tease on ESPN, but I thought they said Bennett was taking his name out of consideration. I believe he made the announcement because he decided he was better off staying and wanted to reassure his players that he would indeed be back next season. However, if IU was stupid enough to tell him he was their fall back choice I don't blame him for saying no thank you. Besides for all I know he's going to hold out until Wisconsin's coach leaves. To me that makes a lot more sense than taking a job at IU.

Coop
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Sixty isn't old? Wow. How often do you see a 60+ year old coach move to a new school and have great success over a long period of time? Never. Because they are too old to stay long enough.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah, like it or not 60 is old. Particularly for this IU job. We should have gone old after Knight. Hired someone with experience who could act as a stop gap between the Knight era and the new young gun we brought in. Unfortunately we hired Davis.
However, for this current IU situation 60 is waaaaaaaay too old. We need someone who is young and ready for a challenge.

Damn it, I said I wasn't going to comment anymore.

grace
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
If you guys want to be that short sighted have at it.

Trader Joe
03-30-2008, 10:35 PM
If you guys want to be that short sighted have at it.

Its short sighted to hire someone who is 60 years old. That is short sighted. Might as well got get Larry Brown since we are kicking around names of old coaches.

Young
03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I think that Montgomery is a fine coach. I'm not a diehard IU fan but I love seeing teams with rich tradition do well.

I like how Mike would bring a little bit different style to the BigTen. He is much more uptempo than the others. In general i'd love to see someone like Bruce Pearl or any coach who wants to get up and down coach in the Big Ten just to see how teams adjust overall.

Due to Mike's age I wouldn't pick him. I want someone who can be here for a long long time. If i'm IU I don't want to have to make another coaching selection in 5 years.

Also IU has to be tight on money. So wouldn't that put Pittino, Sean Miller (I think he has a big buyout), Rick Barnes, Callapari, etc out of the mix?

If i'm Indiana I take have a short list, of three canidates.

- Brad Brownell
- Scott Skiles
- Tim Jankovich

You look at Brownell he has Indiana ties. He has had success as UNC-Wilmington and Wright State. He is one of the big time up and coming coaches in the country. So what if he has never made a Final Four? If you look at what he has had to work with, it's impressive. I guess I tend to be impressed by the underdogs who have success.

Scott Skiles is a good coach. I know others will say Randy Wittman but IDK I just never have been impressed by him. But hey just because you don't win in the NBA doesn't mean you can't win in college. But anyways Skiles would be able to recruit. When I think of Skiles I think of Ben Howland. They have similar personalities in that they aren't *** kisses. Ben is doing just fine at UCLA. I wouldn't count Scott out. I acutally think he would do great in recruiting because I don't think of him as a bull****er. I think most people would rather play for someone they know is telling the truth.

The third guy on my list has not been mentioned from what I have seen. But I have to say, I think he is gonna be a hell of a coach at a big school within the next few years. Meet Tim Jankovich, head coach at Illinois State.

http://goredbirds.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jankovich_tim00.html

What They're Saying About Tim Jankovich:

Bill Self, head basketball coach at the University of Kansas
"Tim is one of the brightest coaches, at any level, that I've had the pleasure to be around. He has a great basketball mind, one that is very creative, and he has the ability to get a team to play to its full potential. Tim will be a breath of fresh air in the Bloomington-Normal community. He is talented, sharp, hard-working and has great people skills. I have been blessed to be around some great assistant coaches, and Tim is as talented as any of them. This should be an exciting time for Illinois State."

Eddie Sutton, former head basketball coach at Oklahoma State
"Tim Jankovich will get an A-plus when it comes to handling responsibility as a head coach. I've had a lot of wonderful assistant coaches, but Tim was certainly a first-teamer, and his knowledge of basketball is as good as any assistant I've ever had. There are a lot of outstanding young coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference, but I do believe that Tim will, in a very short period of time, reach the elite level in that league. He's a great basketball coach, but might be an even finer person."

Boyd Grant, former head basketball coach at Colorado State and Fresno State
"When I was the head coach at Colorado State, it didn't take me long to figure out that I had a great assistant in Tim Jankovich. I always had great trust in my assistants, and divvied up the coaching tasks amongst them. Tim was responsible for implementing a large portion of our offensive schemes at Colorado State. He comes from a great pedigree, coaching under guys like Jack Hartman, Eddie Sutton and Bill Self, and beyond that, his recruiting experience is really going to benefit Illinois State. Coach Jankovich will identify with the players very easily. He will be not only a coach but a mentor to them. Tim is a stand-up guy and a class act, and everyone in Illinois State's athletic department from the administration down to the other coaches and the student-athletes, will be very happy that they made this decision."

Sherron Collins, University of Kansas guard
"Coach Jankovich helped me most on my jump shot. I owe a lot to him. He was always there to help me fix it and tweak it when needed. He is a great guard coach, especially for point guards. He is a great teacher of the game and has been around basketball for a long time."

Dee Brown, former University of Illinois player
"I really think he is going do a great job at Illinois State. He taught me a lot about the game and really worked with me on my shooting. When he first came to Illinois, he met with me and really took an interest in helping me make my game better. That really meant a lot to me, since he wasn't even the coach that recruited me. I think the players at Illinois State are going to enjoy playing for Coach Jankovich. They're getting a great coach."

Deron Williams, Utah Jazz guard and former University of Illinois player
"Coach Jankovich is a real laid back guy and he knows how to talk and teach his players. He knows a lot about the game, because he was a player himself. I know personally, he helped me considerably with my free throws and gave me some shooting tips. Illinois State is getting a great coach ... one that truly knows the game of basketball."

I'll be the first to admit, I haven't seen Illinois State play, so I have no clue what style they play. Nor do I know a ton about TJ. But I think he would make one hell of a coach.

That's just me. I'd say forget Pearl (my favorite coach but half of IU nation would hate his style) although Bruce has rumored to have been offered the job but turned it down. That might not be true though who knows. Pittino, Montgomery, Barnes would not be in for the long haul. Doesn't sound like Tony Bennent wants to come to IU. Maybe Sean Miller would but he would require a big time buyout I believe.

I'd go with one of the three I mentioned. Maybe i'm crazy, but I think any one of those three would do one hell of a job. And i'll admit i'd love for IU to hire Tim Jankovich just because it would come out of nowhere I think.

avoidingtheclowns
03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
i'm of the opinion that if sean miller is the guy you want then you can't be concerned with a big buyout. i understand the logic -- because it just cost a pretty penny to send sampson on his merry way. but i think IU getting the program back on track will be much more valuable ultimately.

Big Smooth
03-30-2008, 11:00 PM
i'm of the opinion that if sean miller is the guy you want then you can't be concerned with a big buyout. i understand the logic -- because it just cost a pretty penny to send sampson on his merry way. but i think IU getting the program back on track will be much more valuable ultimately.

I agree that making the right choice now will pay healthy dividends for years and the upfront cost is worth whatever it takes to attract that right coach. It's not like IU had to completely absorb the cost, I'm sure some of our well-to-do alumni would be willing to chip in....I mean one of them chipped in to mostly payoff Sampson so I'm sure we have alums who would step up to the plate to get the right coach paid.

If Sampson had avoided the phone issues, he would be making $1.8 million in salary right now after his raise. That isn't the kind of money that a broke athletic department is able to throw around.

grace
03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
If i'm Indiana I take have a short list, of three canidates.

- Brad Brownell
- Scott Skiles
- Tim Jankovich

Somewhere around here someone said that it's a NCAA rule that a coach has to have a college degree. The poster also said that Scott didn't graduate from Michigan State. Well, according to Wikipedia (we know Wikipedia is never wrong) he did graduate with a B.S.

That being said I still don't think Scott wants to coach in college. Even if he did I don't seem him staying put for more than 10 years so I still think IU would be better off with Montgomery.

Young
03-31-2008, 12:07 AM

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you.

However looking at it from IU's AD perspective it's a business. Make no mistake that money will likely play a factor in who they hire. Which is why I wonder/doubt if they are willing to pony up the money to get Miller in Bloomington. Maybe they would and if they are he is probably the most proven coach out there. He has done a great job at Xavier.

avoidingtheclowns
03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
in related news, i haven't been contacted about IU's coaching vacancy either

Thomas says Indiana hasn't contacted him about coaching job

ATLANTA -- Embattled New York Knicks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk) coach Isiah Thomas sidestepped whether he's interested in talking with Indiana University about its head coaching position.

Thomas, whose Knicks have lost five of six and 13 of 15, has a 53-101 record in two seasons with the Knicks. Though he helped Indiana win the 1981 NCAA championship, Thomas has never coached in college.

He indicated the Hoosiers haven't consulted him.

"No, I have a job," Thomas said before the Knicks played the Atlanta Hawks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=atl) on Sunday.

Thomas, also the Knicks' team president, said he hopes interim coach Dan Dakich is named full-time at Indiana.

In February, Dakich replaced Kelvin Sampson, who resigned following the release of an NCAA report that said he committed five "major" violations involving recruiting. Prior to the start of the NCAA tournament, the school appointed a 10-member committee to search for a replacement for Sampson.

After Dakich -- an assistant under Sampson and a former Indiana player and assistant under Bob Knight -- took over, the Hoosiers (25-8) lost four of their final seven games, including a shocking last-second defeat against Minnesota in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals and an 86-72 loss to Arkansas in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

"He's done an excellent job," Thomas said. "He understands the program. He's been intimately involved on the coaching side and also on the playing side."

"Of all the former players, he'd definitely have the support of mine and others. I hope he's someone they do name as the coach of Indiana."

Thomas acknowledged that he might have interest in coaching one day in college.

"You never say never in terms of where you'll end up and who you'll be with," he said. "So you just try to take the day as it comes."

Right now, Thomas is trying to save his position with New York, which has reportedly talked with former Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind) president Donnie Walsh about taking charge of the organization.

Walsh hired Thomas as coach of the Pacers in 2000. In three years with Indiana, Thomas led the Pacers to a 131-115 record and three playoff appearances.

When Walsh brought in Larry Bird to run the Pacers in 2003, Thomas was fired.

With the NBA's fifth-worst record at 20-52, Thomas seemed to dislike a question about some of his players calling for a new coaching change.

"That player should put his name on it, if there is such a player," Thomas said. "But I think you have the opportunity and the access to all our players and you can ask them. I think it's safe to say that in any locker room, football, basketball or hockey, I don't think there's a coach coaching today that has 15 happy players. You have some that's unhappy and you have some that's happy. That's coaching."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3320987&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Kraft
03-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Being in Central Illinois, I'll say that Jankovich has a lot of people on his side. It's kind of the common opinion that's he's got something real nice going over there. Next year, he's getting a kid from my area that could probably be a Big Ten player ... guy just went under the radar a bit after moving high schools, but he liked Jankovich enough to go to ISU despite getting SEC looks when he was living down south.

tdubb03
03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I've heard this thing about needing a degree to coach in college. What's to stop IU (or anyone else) from just giving a candidate an honorary degree? Would that not qualify?

I'm intrigued by what Skiles could do in Bloomington, but it's just too risky right now. IU needs a sure thing and that's not a guy with no college coaching experience.

Kegboy
03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
in related news, i haven't been contacted about IU's coaching vacancy either

I have no comment in relation to IU's coaching vacancy.

ABADays
03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
A lot of these names are intriguing. However, if Isiah Thomas were even being considered I think I would have to shoot myself.

Tom White
04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Right, he left Iowa with the NCAA pounding at the front door.

Where in the world are you getting this from?

I've never seen anything at all about this. Got a link to verify it?

Elgin56
04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Where in the world are you getting this from?

I've never seen anything at all about this. Got a link to verify it?

I meant that Alford didn't leave Iowa in the terrible shape that Sampson has left IU in.

Tom White
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I meant that Alford didn't leave Iowa in the terrible shape that Sampson has left IU in.

Oh, OK, I thought you were being serious about the NCAA looking into the Iowa program.

Coop
04-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Who cares? He still sucks as a coach.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm hearing word that Tom Crean has been hired. Can anyone else confirm this?

avoidingtheclowns
04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm hearing word that Tom Crean has been hired. Can anyone else confirm this?

from?