PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 draws an 11.6 rating.....Highest rated NBA on ABC game ever

Kstat
06-07-2004, 12:32 PM
once again, NOBODY wants to watch this ugly display......... :laugh:

by comparison, last year's game 1 drew an 8.1 rating.

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
And consider that was up agaisnt the season finale of the Soprano's, which draws a lot of people who watch basektball.

Also consider that 95% of the public did not think the Pistons had a chance, now many more think the Pistons have chance.

The next game will increase 25% to about a 14.5 if is is a close game.

The NBA is smart to move the start times for these games back 30 minutes, yes the east coast people will complain, but later starts mean higher ratings.

Also smart to eliminate Friday night games, as those are lower rated.

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Not like there is much Intresting on Sunday night TV , Only reason I watched it because there wasn't anything else appealing on TV :laugh:

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Of course, it helps when the teams are DETROIT and LA...big markets help.

sixthman
06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
That's good news. Maybe the NBA is not the dud many talking heads proclaim it to be.

I enjoyed the game as much as I can enjoy a game the Pacers are not involved with.

Kegboy
06-07-2004, 02:07 PM

Uh, don't know where you get your numbers Kstat, but...

ABC Scores Sunday Win with NBA Finals (http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272_617|88623|1|,00.html)

Fast National ratings for Sunday, June 6, 2004.
The Detroit Pistons pulled an impressive upset in the first game of the NBA, knocking off the Los Angles Lakers. In the ratings race, the NBA game trounced CBS' special event, the Tony Awards. The matchup helped push ABC to a rare Sunday night victory.

Overall, ABC averaged a 6.9 rating/12 share, comfortably ahead of second place NBC's 6.0/10. CBS had a 5.2/9 for third, beating FOX's 2.7/5 and The WB's 1.6/3.

Among adults 18-49, ABC had a wider margin of victory with a 4.7 rating in the important demographic. NBC took second with a 2.6 rating, better than FOX's 2.2 rating. CBS was down to fourth with a 2.2 rating, better than the 1.5 for CBS and The WB's 1.0 rating.

CBS started the night on top with the 6.6/13 for "60 Minutes." ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" had a 6.0/12, enhanced by NBA coverage in many parts of the country. NBC was third with "Dateline." FOX get a 2.1/4 average out of "Oliver Beene" and "King of the Hill," as The WB trailed with two episodes of "Steve Harvey's Big Time."

ABC moved into the lead with 6.6/12 for the continuation of "Videos" and the NBA pregame. "Dateline NBC" had a 5.2/9 to edge the first hour of the Tony Awards on CBS, though the Tonys drew slightly more viewers for the hour. FOX was in fourth with "The Simpsons" (3.7/7) and "Arrested Development" (3.0/6), beating the first part of The WB's reairing of the "Summerland" premiere.

At 9 p.m., the basketball game drew a 7.3/12 for ABC, with NBC's "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" taking a 6.4/11 for second. CBS' Tony coverage dipped to a 4.6/8 in its second hour, while FOX was fourth with "Malcolm in the Middle" and "Arrested Development." The second hour of "Summerland" did a 2.1/3 on The WB.

The conclusion of the basketball game and NBC's "Crossing Jordan" were in a dead heat at 10 p.m. with the same 7.9/13. CBS trailed with the end of the Tonys.

Ratings information is taken from fast national data. All numbers are preliminary and subject to change, especially in the case of live telecasts.

Kstat
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Uh, don't know where you get your numbers Kstat, but...

ABC Scores Sunday Win with NBA Finals (http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272_617|88623|1|,00.html)

Fast National ratings for Sunday, June 6, 2004.
The Detroit Pistons pulled an impressive upset in the first game of the NBA, knocking off the Los Angles Lakers. In the ratings race, the NBA game trounced CBS' special event, the Tony Awards. The matchup helped push ABC to a rare Sunday night victory.

Overall, ABC averaged a 6.9 rating/12 share, comfortably ahead of second place NBC's 6.0/10. CBS had a 5.2/9 for third, beating FOX's 2.7/5 and The WB's 1.6/3.

Among adults 18-49, ABC had a wider margin of victory with a 4.7 rating in the important demographic. NBC took second with a 2.6 rating, better than FOX's 2.2 rating. CBS was down to fourth with a 2.2 rating, better than the 1.5 for CBS and The WB's 1.0 rating.

CBS started the night on top with the 6.6/13 for "60 Minutes." ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" had a 6.0/12, enhanced by NBA coverage in many parts of the country. NBC was third with "Dateline." FOX get a 2.1/4 average out of "Oliver Beene" and "King of the Hill," as The WB trailed with two episodes of "Steve Harvey's Big Time."

ABC moved into the lead with 6.6/12 for the continuation of "Videos" and the NBA pregame. "Dateline NBC" had a 5.2/9 to edge the first hour of the Tony Awards on CBS, though the Tonys drew slightly more viewers for the hour. FOX was in fourth with "The Simpsons" (3.7/7) and "Arrested Development" (3.0/6), beating the first part of The WB's reairing of the "Summerland" premiere.

At 9 p.m., the basketball game drew a 7.3/12 for ABC, with NBC's "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" taking a 6.4/11 for second. CBS' Tony coverage dipped to a 4.6/8 in its second hour, while FOX was fourth with "Malcolm in the Middle" and "Arrested Development." The second hour of "Summerland" did a 2.1/3 on The WB.

The conclusion of the basketball game and NBC's "Crossing Jordan" were in a dead heat at 10 p.m. with the same 7.9/13. CBS trailed with the end of the Tonys.

Ratings information is taken from fast national data. All numbers are preliminary and subject to change, especially in the case of live telecasts.

The Pistons reported 11.6 today on flagship radio. I don't see why they'd lie.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the press release.

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Well according to this Kstat looks correct

Link Here (http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20040607/108663012000.html)

Ratings Up for Game 1 of NBA Finals
Monday June 7 10:42 AM ET

The overnight ratings for Detroit's 87-75 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night were up 43 percent from last season's Game 1.

ABC's coverage of the game drew an 11.6 rating with an 18 share. That's better than all six of the games in last year's final when San Antonio beat New Jersey. Game 1 last year had an 8.1 rating with a 13 share.

The rating for Sunday night's game peaked during the final 15 minutes with a 14.0 and a 25 share.

The rating for each team's home market was strong, with a 29.3 with a 45 share in Los Angeles and a 33.2 with a 45 share for Detroit.

The game was also the highest rated show from 9-11 p.m. on network television Sunday night, beating NBC's "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" and "Crossing Jordan" (a combined 8.4 rating with a 13 share) and CBS' coverage of the 58th annual Tony Awards (5.2 with an 8).

Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, covering nearly 70 percent of the country. Each overnight rating point represents about 735,000 TV homes.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Does anyone care to explain to me what these numbers mean? :blush:

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Does anyone care to explain to me what these numbers mean? :blush:

No. :devil:

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 02:33 PM
What is a rating and a share?

The terms rating and share are basic to the television industry. Both are percentages. A rating is a percent of the universe that is being measured, most commonly discussed as a percent of all television households. As such, a rating is always quantifiable, assuming you know the size of the universe (TV households, persons, women 18 34, and so forth). A share is the percent of households or persons using television at the time the program is airing and who are watching a particular program. Thus, a share does not immediately tie back to an actual number, because it is a percent of a constantly changing number TV sets in use. Shares can be useful as a gauge of competitive standing.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
What is a rating and a share?

The terms rating and share are basic to the television industry. Both are percentages. A rating is a percent of the universe that is being measured, most commonly discussed as a percent of all television households. As such, a rating is always quantifiable, assuming you know the size of the universe (TV households, persons, women 18 34, and so forth). A share is the percent of households or persons using television at the time the program is airing and who are watching a particular program. Thus, a share does not immediately tie back to an actual number, because it is a percent of a constantly changing number TV sets in use. Shares can be useful as a gauge of competitive standing.

Thanks Sauce.

Ryan
06-07-2004, 02:37 PM
KStat's numbers were the overnights. Basically... how many people left their TV on ABC 'all night'.

Ratings are pointless. The only real good thing that comes from a high rating is more advertising money for the company.

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Kegboy, you got that from Zap2it.com right, I read what you posted there. Those numbers are always really low, not sure why

Ratings can get very confusing, but I have been an avid folowing of TV ratings for years.

There are so many numbers that are thrown around.

Number of veiwers - This is self explanatory

Rating number - This is the % of all US households

Share number - This is the % of all those hosebhold who are watching TV. So a 28 share means that 28% of those watching TV at that time are watching a given program.

The 11.6 is a rating number. The number of viewers will come out later.

Sure this did not clear up anyhing, but I'll be ahppy to answer any questions

Manuel
06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Ratings are pointless. The only real good thing that comes from a high rating is more advertising money for the company.

Do you have any concept of how TV markets work?

Pointless??? Do you even know what you're talking about?

Ragnar
06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
By contrast the once vaunted Indy 500 formerly the biggest single day sporting event in the world drew a 4.1 :unimpressed:

So much for the grand plan to save the Indy 500 :crazy:

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 03:42 PM
By contrast the once vaunted Indy 500 formerly the biggest single day sporting event in the world drew a 4.1 :unimpressed:

So much for the grand plan to save the Indy 500 :crazy:

What's the biggest single day sporting event in the world now? :confused:

BTW, I couldn't care less about ratings, especially for the Indy 500. As long as they run the race and I get to go, that's all that matters to me.

Kstat
06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
What's the biggest single day sporting event in the world now?

Um, the NFL, it has this thing where the best 2 teams play a game at the end....i forgot what its called......

sweabs
06-07-2004, 03:45 PM

Um, the NFL, it has this thing where the best 2 teams play a game at the end....i forgot what its called......

Really? I didn't think that would be for the world...but then again what would take precedence over it? The only other thing I can think of is the World Cup Finals...

Ragnar
06-07-2004, 03:53 PM
I dont know what it is now. World Cup would be my guess also. But the Indy 500 is not even the biggest auto race held on that day!!!! let alone the biggest sporting event in the world. In that category it would be way way way down on the list now.

sc
06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
I believe the last Super Bowl pulled a 43 rating and a 61 share for comparison.

The overnight rating I believe is ratings of the top 50-60 markets in the country covering about 3/4 of the viewers. Each point is equal to around 700k viewers. So 11.6 x 700. Decent numbers for a sport on the so call decline.

Kegboy
06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm more apt to believe the zap2it numbers I posted. When you look at ratings trends, IMO it's easier to understand ratings about the same with a tiny drop off as opposed to a 43% increase from one year to the next. Plus, factoring in the Soprano's finale, I just don't see it.

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 04:13 PM

A SUPER bowl....:flirt:

Hicks
06-07-2004, 04:14 PM

I for one think he meant the Pro Bowl. ;)

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 04:17 PM

I for one think he meant the Pro Bowl. ;)

So I beg to ask....is it better to be PRO or SUPER? :o

Hicks
06-07-2004, 04:18 PM
SUPER PRO! :usa:

:laugh:

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 04:27 PM
SUPER PRO! :usa:

:laugh:

Sounds good to me. Whoever can beat the **** out of the Patriots first wins the trophy. Damn Pats...

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm more apt to believe the zap2it numbers I posted. When you look at ratings trends, IMO it's easier to understand ratings about the same with a tiny drop off as opposed to a 43% increase from one year to the next. Plus, factoring in the Soprano's finale, I just don't see it.

Kegboy, read USA Today on Tuesday, you'll see that Zap2it.com is wrong

Superbowl should not count, that is a national holiday, next year just try and not watch the Superbowl.

I think the AFC and NFC championship games are a better barometer, and those get 25-30 ratings. Almost three times what the NBA game got last night

Slick Pinkham
06-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I dont know what it is now. World Cup would be my guess also. But the Indy 500 is not even the biggest auto race held on that day!!!! let alone the biggest sporting event in the world. In that category it would be way way way down on the list now.

The Indy 500 was never a ratings king. It was long-billed as the greatest one day sporting event based ATTENDENCE, not TV ratings.

Not many other venues can seat >400,000 people and then pack some more onto the infield. I'm sure in its heyday over 500,000 people attended. No other track can do that even now.

Kegboy
06-07-2004, 06:19 PM

Kegboy, read USA Today on Tuesday, you'll see that Zap2it.com is wrong

Superbowl should not count, that is a national holiday, next year just try and not watch the Superbowl.

I think the AFC and NFC championship games are a better barometer, and those get 25-30 ratings. Almost three times what the NBA game got last night

Yes, I know the nielson ratings are released on Tuesday. We'll see. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I just don't see the ratings going up that much. Probably cause I didn't bother to watch. If I don't watch, why should anyone else? :p

able
06-07-2004, 08:43 PM
the WorldCup final football, or as you call it "soccer" is by far the biggest international tv event, followed closely by the Olympics (usually opening and closing)

sorry, but the USA is not the world.

as to why football? let's say that all of South America, China, Japan, the Middle East, Europe, Autralia and cohorts, Eastern Europe and whatever part i forgot watch the finals.

I am sure that the European football championships (starting next week) and the CL finale score higher then the Superbowl.

Just a matter of how many people are in the opportunity and how many people "play" the sport.

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
The Indy 500 was never a ratings king. It was long-billed as the greatest one day sporting event based ATTENDENCE, not TV ratings.

Not many other venues can seat >400,000 people and then pack some more onto the infield. I'm sure in its heyday over 500,000 people attended. No other track can do that even now.

Truer words may never have been spoken.

:applaud:

Ryan
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM

From the information I gathered when I worked for Dave Meltzer @ the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the numbers mean **** (In terms of cable TV anyways). The bigger the rating, the more advertising dollars the NBA/ABC will make the following year and years to come. Game 2 could have a 45.9 rating and the NBA/ABC wouldn't make a damn thing.

That's all I meant by my comment. I think I know what im talking about when it comes to a TV rating. But enlighten me if my Degree in Journalism and former boss are wrong. :unimpressed:

Shade
06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
2 big markets + classic rivalry = ratings

Why do you think the Pistons were getting all the calls against us? :shrug:

Suaveness
06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
2 big markets + classic rivalry = ratings

Why do you think the Pistons were getting all the calls against us? :shrug:

:nod:

BillS
06-08-2004, 09:35 AM

From the information I gathered when I worked for Dave Meltzer @ the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the numbers mean **** (In terms of cable TV anyways). The bigger the rating, the more advertising dollars the NBA/ABC will make the following year and years to come. Game 2 could have a 45.9 rating and the NBA/ABC wouldn't make a damn thing.

That's all I meant by my comment. I think I know what im talking about when it comes to a TV rating. But enlighten me if my Degree in Journalism and former boss are wrong. :unimpressed:

Your comment could be and clearly was taken the wrong way. The numbers mean **** for THIS year, but mean a lot when choosing (and pricing ads for) programming for NEXT year. For those without cable and around the world, that definitely means big **** for next year.

We'll perhaps see some Pistons games on national non-cable and any EC games with the Pistons might be there as well.

Pacers will still only be on once, though. :cry: