PDA

View Full Version : Ebanks is likely NOT coming to IU

Shade
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7957340/Top-Indiana-recruit-to-explore-other-options

"I'm going to look for a school that had some of the same things I liked in Indiana," Ebanks told FOXSports.com on Wednesday afternoon.:cry: :kickcan:

Trader Joe
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
"We'll still see what happens," Ebanks said. "I'm going to stay in contact and not going to completely write Indiana off."

Shade how about you report the whole story next time. This thread title is horribly misleading.

Coop
03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't understand why he couldn't wait two more weeks until we had a coach. Is there some kind of deadline that I'm not aware of that says he has to be signed with a school by a certain date?

Trader Joe
03-27-2008, 07:57 PM
This is NOTHING NEW. We knew he was going to be let out of his LOI. He hasn't ruled us out completely yet. Why is everyone acting like this is news?

Coop
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
I knew after Sampson resigned that he would want out of his LOI. I just never understood why he couldn't wait until a new coach was named. Now if he decides to sign back on, there will surely be those that won't support him because "he isn't here to play for Indiana". I just don't think it was the best decision for him

Shade
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Shade how about you report the whole story next time. This thread title is horribly misleading.

Read the quote that I posted. He has written us off.

He's not coming here.

Trader Joe
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Shade he then goes on to say what I posted. So yes your thread title is misleading.

Shade
03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Shade he then goes on to say what I posted. So yes your thread title is misleading.

He just said that to be nice. It happens all the time.

He's referring to IU in the past tense. I think that says pretty much all that needs to be said.

But I altered the thread title all the same.

Trader Joe
03-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Thank you. ;)

Elgin56
03-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Good riddance, we are better off with out him.

Shade
03-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Good riddance, we are better off with out him.

I know it hurts to be spurned, but there's no way we're better off without him.

In fact, as of right now, we look to be in really bad shape next season, unless the new coach can work some magic in a hurry.

avoidingtheclowns
03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
In fact, as of right now, we look to be in really bad shape next season, unless the new coach can work some magic in a hurry.

which is exactly why greenspan has criss angel on his short list.

clownskull
03-28-2008, 04:00 PM

well i don't like saying this but, things are going to be in bad shape next season with or without ebanks. we lost our far and away best player this season in dj and even though he isn't ready, gordon too. without a decent player over the 6'7 - 6'8 range on the roster, this team has many problems.

Coop
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
well i don't like saying this but, things are going to be in bad shape next season with or without ebanks. we lost our far and away best player this season in dj and even though he isn't ready, gordon too. without a decent player over the 6'7 - 6'8 range on the roster, this team has many problems.

Yeah, because Purdue had so many problems this year without a legit big man right?

A line up of Bassett, Crawford, Ellis, Ebanks, and Thomas could still be a tough team. It all depends on the coaching style. If they play scrappy defense and have a lot of movement on offense, it could very possibly be another 20 win season.

LoneGranger33
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
which is exactly why greenspan has criss angel on his short list.

MINDFREAK!

grace
03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Well, now you know what it feels like to have someone renege on a commitment to play at your school. Sound familiar?

clownskull
03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, because Purdue had so many problems this year without a legit big man right?

A line up of Bassett, Crawford, Ellis, Ebanks, and Thomas could still be a tough team. It all depends on the coaching style. If they play scrappy defense and have a lot of movement on offense, it could very possibly be another 20 win season.

well iu had a 20+ win season this year but it wasn't entirely successful either. you are counting that guys like basset, crawford and ellis are going to stay and that hasn't been confirmed. and even though purdue got to enjoy some success this year for the first time in a while- without quality size, a win in the first round is all you are gonna get.
having a real center isn't the only answer of course but without one you are going to have trouble against good teams that do.
the last time iu had a real center was 20 years ago with dean garret.

ABADays
03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
This doesn't really surprise me. I'm getting a little wary of Sampson recruits anyway. Just another on his side of the tote board.

Trader Joe
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, now you know what it feels like to have someone renege on a commitment to play at your school. Sound familiar?

yeah and you don't see us running around whining about it do you? Also Gordon never signed a LOI.

How about Eli Holman? We have no idea how good this kid might be. He isn't going anywhere and he was supposed to be the second best player in last years recruiting class.

Shade
03-29-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm not bitter about it, though. It sucks, but it's not unexpected.

Major Cold
04-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I was under the impression that if Ebanks came here we could have sanctions over us. Sampson illegally recruited this player right?

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Will the Crean hire make any impact on him?

I bet if he hasn't been personally called by Crean, then Greenspan likely has!

Trader Joe
04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Crean needs to be on the phone with him RIGHT NOW. (Legally of course ;))

PacerGuy
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Crean needs to be on the phone with him RIGHT NOW. (Legally of course ;))

He is already in his "5" ;)

Ownagedood
04-01-2008, 11:21 PM

Well.. may not be in a great place right now but I think you guys are forgetting one thing.. A coach is the reason a player decides to chose that school.. and Crean has 2 outstanding recruits that he was able to recruit.. Now we just have to hope that they decide to stick with their coach, or stick with the school which is the unwise choice..

There is also the chance that his Marquette players would follow him to IU.. Many times players will follow the guy that they chose to be their coach. For instance, Dominque James, from my hometown, is at Marquette, and I can REALLY see him welcoming a change with his coach to come back to Indiana.

Crean is a great recruiter and I have no doubt he will turn this ship around WITHIN 3 years.. 3 years max.

GO HOOSIERS!!

Ownagedood
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Basset and Ellis aren't going to be there.. They were excused from the team.. Which totally sucks, and Dan Dakich should be fired for doing so.. He's hurting our team even more.. Bassett probably would have been our go-to-guy this next year.

PacerGuy
04-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Basset and Ellis aren't going to be there.. They were excused from the team.. Which totally sucks, and Dan Dakich should be fired for doing so.. He's hurting our team even more.. Bassett probably would have been our go-to-guy this next year.

Dan did his job as the coach - intern or not!
Per his radio interview this afternoon (before the Crean anouncement) he stated he had the administrations support! DO NOT excuse these punk-a** players (esp. Lewis moreso then Bassett) for playing "he's not a real coach, so we don't have to follow any rules" crap! THEY decieded to be 1 1/2 hr late to a meeting, & THEY decieded not to show up to run for that mistake. You (& many others) sound like the same fans who wants to point to the banners, talk about the "Tradition" & "Respect" that IU holds. Well let me tell you, those banners & that tradition was made by coaches who would have done a lot worse to these kids had they pulled this ****** on them!
And don't let anyone start the "they're only 18-19 yr old kids." We have kids that same age dieing for this contry every day, following rules they are given w/ life & death circumstances. Bassett & Ellis are able to play a game because kids thier own age (or younger) are willing to go thru hell to fight for them & the country that they live in. Pampered athletes & spoiled fans need to check themselves before saying foolish things!
Now Ownagedood, you may not deserve all this (& this is not all directed at you!), but your comments about Dan (like many others) are foolish & not well thought out. I guerentee you that Dan Dakich cares 100x more for, knows 100x more about, & respects 100x more for IU Basketball then you, & likely every other poster here, ever can or will. He only did what he had to do because Greenspan put him in a no-win situation, & someone needed to be a leader - something that program has lacked since Knight.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Dan did his job as the coach - intern or not!
Per his radio interview this afternoon (before the Crean anouncement) he stated he had the administrations support! DO NOT excuse these punk-a** players (esp. Lewis moreso then Bassett) for playing "he's not a real coach, so we don't have to follow any rules" crap! THEY decieded to be 1 1/2 hr late to a meeting, & THEY decieded not to show up to run for that mistake. You (& many others) sound like the same fans who wants to point to the banners, talk about the "Tradition" & "Respect" that IU holds. Well let me tell you, those banners & that tradition was made by coaches who would have done a lot worse to these kids had they pulled this ****** on them!
And don't let anyone start the "they're only 18-19 yr old kids." We have kids that same age dieing for this contry every day, following rules they are given w/ life & death circumstances. Bassett & Ellis are able to play a game because kids thier own age (or younger) are willing to go thru hell to fight for them & the country that they live in. Pampered athletes & spoiled fans need to check themselves before saying foolish things!
Now Ownagedood, you may not deserve all this (& this is not all directed at you!), but your comments about Dan (like many others) are foolish & not well thought out. I guerentee you that Dan Dakich cares 100x more for, knows 100x more about, & respects 100x more for IU Basketball then you, & likely every other poster here, ever can or will. He only did what he had to do because Greenspan put him in a no-win situation, & someone needed to be a leader - something that program has lacked since Knight.
No I'm one of the fans hoping that we will actually have some skilled players on the team next year.. Sometimes you have to deal with bad attitudes.. They obviously didn't respect Dakich as a coach, personally, I didn't like him either, I didn't think he did anything to help the team.. So ya, they chose to not listen to him.. Now they may get one more chance with a REAL coach, a guy that actually builds and coaches teams.

So what's with the attitude?? He did nothing good for us.. Except step in when we had no one to "coach".. We lost more games under Dakich then we did the whole rest of the season.

Major Cold
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression that if Ebanks came here we could have sanctions over us. Sampson illegally recruited this player right?

So I am guessing this is a dumb question.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I think Crean should sit down and have a nice talk with Ellis and Basset when he meets with the other players individually.. He should tell them how it's gonna be, and they either listen or they are out for good.. Give them one more chance, as well as letting them know if they mess it up this time, they are gone.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
He should sit down with Basset, Ellis, AND Dakich. Then he should tell them that all three of them either man up and play nice or they all can take a hike.

PacerGuy
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
So what's with the attitude?? He did nothing good for us.. Except step in when we had no one to "coach".. We lost more games under Dakich then we did the whole rest of the season.

No attitude (per sey), but I think you are judging Dan from what you see in a Win/Loss colum, w/o any idea or concept of all the BS he had to deal with. Dan's coaching did not lose the games, player execution did!!!
This was a flawed team from day 1. They never ran any true offense, & relied on almost solely on DJ & EJ abilities to win games. Once EG was hurt (wrist), his game fell off & everyone started blaming him for all the ill's. The same for Dan. Once Sampson was released, the players quit on the university. They (not all - not EG, but most) quit on YOU! Dan did not quit on you, nor did he quit on those kids that quit on him.

Ownagedood
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
No attitude (per sey), but I think you are judging Dan from what you see in a Win/Loss colum, w/o any idea or concept of all the BS he had to deal with. Dan's coaching did not lose the games, player execution did!!!
This was a flawed team from day 1. They never ran any true offense, & relied on almost solely on DJ & EJ abilities to win games. Once EG was hurt (wrist), his game fell off & everyone started blaming him for all the ill's. The same for Dan. Once Sampson was released, the players quit on the university. They (not all - not EG, but most) quit on YOU! Dan did not quit on you, nor did he quit on those kids that quit on him.
Ya, half of my judging is on the win/loss columns.. The other half is seeing that a lot of the players didn't want to play for him, which is usually a sign that they either have no respect for him, or they don't think he is a quality coach..

But I'm really excited about Tom Crean coming in.. Watching the press conference now.

Trader Joe
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Crean just said he looks forward to getting to know the four young men who have committed to play for Indiana University next year.

Major Cold
04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I am done with this thread.

Shade
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
So I am guessing this is a dumb question.

I don't think it would make us any more or less prone to sanctions from the NCAA.

And, let's face it. If the NCAA nails us hard after we bent over backwards and threw away a Top 15 team for them, they can bite me. Hard.

grace
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think it would make us any more or less prone to sanctions from the NCAA.

And, let's face it. If the NCAA nails us hard after we bent over backwards and threw away a Top 15 team for them, they can bite me. Hard.

You know, the NCAA might just decide that if IU was less than intelligent enough to hire someone with sanctions already hanging over his head they deserve some harsh punishment. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying you might want to invest in some protection just in case.

Tom White
04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I don't think the NCAA will be as hard on IU as you might imagine. Remember, part of their report included finding that Sampson had lied to IU as well as to the NCAA. They did not find that IU was in collusion with the coach and his illegal doings.

I'll also add that losing a recruit or two does not bother me as much as it does some of you. Given the previous coach's disregard for the rules, I worry about what else may have taken place during the recruiting process.

The fact is, I worry about what may have went on during the Gordon recruitment.

mb221
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Losing another one and done player really isn't that devastating.

Coop
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
It is when the one year you won't have him is looking like it could be the worst year record wise in several decades.

Tom White
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
It is when the one year you won't have him is looking like it could be the worst year record wise in several decades.

Depends on your definition of "several decades".

If memory serves me, Davis had two years where the team finished 15-14.

Again, if memory serves me, the 1977 team (under Knight) finished 15-12. Included in that record was a game forfeited by Minnesota for having an ineligible player. Without that forfeit, IU woould have been 14-13. The players lost from the year prior to the 1977 team were certainly more impotant than this years players.

I just don't think things are going to be that grim. Not up to par, likely, but not a total disaster.

PacerGuy
04-09-2008, 04:41 PM
JMV reported that Holloway is headed to Xavier.

Of course there is still rumors S.Miller could go to Pitt if their coach leaves (Stanford). That could change those plans.