PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Martin??

PacerCrazy
06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey Folks!

I thought this was interesting. They got Kevin Martin goining 32 in the draft. He might be a perfect fit for the Pacers shooting guard issures and it is likley he would be obtainable. Here is a link to him.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/kevinmartin.asp

a Kerry Kittles like palyer almost sounds exactly like what we need. Could this be Reggie's hier? If this worked ut we could sill pull a dampier trade to get a center.

I thought it was at least interesting. What do you think>?

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 12:29 PM
:love:

:signit:

Hicks
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Kevin Martin
Birthdate: 2/83
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
College: Western Carolina
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-7
Wt: 195
Hometown: Zanesville, OH
High School: Zanesville

NBA Comparison: Kerry Kittles

Game description: Kevin is first and foremost a scorer. He is a very good 3-point shooter, with the potential to be a great one (+44%). He loves attacking the basket and displays excellent body control when getting his shot off against defenders. He is comfortable shooting off curls and fades, as well as off the dribble and catching and shooting in transition. He knows how to get fouled and is a very good free throw shooter. He scores in a variety of ways around the basket and has an excellent left hand-and a great feel for using angles to the basket. I would not be surprised if he scores 40+ points in a game this upcoming season. He is an adept ball-handler, and can use dribble moves to create separation from his defender. Kevin is a very quick athlete with a good first step and a good exploder to the basket. He sees the floor well, and anticipates openings for himself and teammates. Despite being a prolific scorer, he takes few bad shots and makes his teammates better with his passing abilities. He has the ability to play the point guard position.

Defensively, his lateral quickness gives him the ability to beat opponents to their attacking spot, and his height and reach impact shooters. He has good anticipation, and can rack up steals if the offense is careless. He does not display the same confidence on defense as he does on offense, despite having the ability to dominate on that end of the floor. His court awareness is excellent, as is his defensive I.Q. He knows what the offense is doing most of the time.

Areas for improvement: Kevin rarely uses a dribble move to beat an opponent, so this would be a skill that would benefit him-and is something he can do very effectively right now on occasion. He can also be an effective player in triple threat position once he uses his jab techniques. He is a very quick athlete without the ball, he needs to become the same with it. A post game would be an incredible added dimension to his game, nullifying the opposing teams' option of guarding him with a short, quick guard. Physically, Kevin just needs to spend time in the weight room and eat a healthy diet. His strength will increase accordingly. Perhaps his biggest challenge is developing his mental toughness, since he will be the main focus of every defense he plays over the course of his college career. Tough fouls, rugged screens, and relentless defenders will have to be dealt with every game he plays. He is coachable, and in love with his coaches at Western Carolina, which means he is likely to improve each and every year there.

NBA players similar to Kevin: Kerry Kittles is the best pick regarding physical similarities and position-Kevin is a better scorer and shooter than Kerry was at 19. Kerry was a better defender and a tougher, more disciplined player. Kerry would not have averaged 22 ppg at Western when he was a freshman, while Kevin could have averaged 22 at Villanova this year(he averaged 24ppg in 2 road games in December at Big 12 and ACC schools-both wins). As athletes, they are probably even.

Projection: Kevin has a shot at being the best 2 guard prospect in the draft in the next few years. He should have the height, athletic ability, and skills of an NBA player. His statistics will likely favor him over most other guards as well. Ultimately, his effort in the weight room may be the deciding factor in whether or not he is drafted. How he looks means little if he performs well on strength tests, and more importantly, makes plays that require great strength.

Notes: Was the nations 11th leading scorer and second leading freshman scorer at 22.1 points per game. Ohio State tried to convince Kevin to transfer but was unsuccesful.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Looks good to me. Hell, he even looks like he's Reggie's nephew or something.

ChicagoJ
06-07-2004, 12:34 PM
If this kid's 'all that' then why would 31 players be selected before him?

I don't know much about him, but I'm skeptical that we'll be able to find a starter with the thirtieth pick (although, stranger things have happened).

Kstat
06-07-2004, 12:34 PM
The Kerry Kittles comment threw me. If you want to beat Rip Hamilton, Kittles is NOT the player you want at SG :laugh:

ChicagoJ
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
The Kerry Kittles comment threw me. If you want to beat Rip Hamilton, Kittles is NOT the player you want at SG :laugh:

So if I wanted to trade for Rip, what would it cost me?

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
He looks ok to me. Sounds just like what we need.

Grant
06-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Funny, that you mention him because DraftCity projected him to go #30 to Indiana

http://www.draftcity.com/mocks/2004.htm

Strengths

This guy can fill the basket up. He just knows how to put it in the cup. He is a deadly from mid-range area of the court out to the perimeter. He can put the ball on the floor and take you off the dribble or score while moving without the basketball.. A great finisher. Canít have enough of those.

Weaknesses

His body is weak. Another one of those guys who just are rail-thin. He has been in college for 3 years and has put on about 5 lbs. Will staying another year in college really put more meat on his bones? While he has a very versatile attack in his game, it remains to be seen if he could defend on the pro level because of his lack of strength and even though he has had big games against major college competition, is the fact that he played ball in the Southern Conference a detriment when evaluating him. He played a lot of games against the bottom two-thirds of the Division I.

Comments

There is something to be said about a guy who can avg. 25 plus points per game when teams know that he is basically the only threat on a team. He is a phenomenal scorer and seems like his best days will be ahead of him. I think if he plays well in Chicago, he could easily move up to a late first round pick for someone. He doesnít shoot well enough to be considered Reggie Miller, but he may draw comparisons to him because of his weight and build. Also, Jarvis Hayes played at Western Carolina before transferring to Georgia and some had said that Martin is just as good as Hayes was. If that ends up being the case, someone will be getting a steal in Martin.

Best Case Scenario: Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton :o
Worst Case Scenario: Miles Simon

Hicks
06-07-2004, 01:58 PM
For now, I will be hoping we take Martin at #29 or #30, whichever pick is ours.

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Quote:
His body is weak.

That's not necessarily a weakness. It sounds like Reggie. If Reggie hangs on for the remainder of his contract & we draft this guy, wow! :o Think of all the tricks Reggie could teach him...but that's wishful thinking.

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote:
His body is weak.

That's not necessarily a weakness. It sounds like Reggie. If Reggie hangs on for the remainder of his contract & we draft this guy, wow! :o Think of all the tricks Reggie could teach him...but that's wishful thinking.

That makes me giddy. :D

Snickers
06-07-2004, 02:34 PM
If this kid's 'all that' then why would 31 players be selected before him?
[quote]

Most likely because he plays for a no-name school, Western Carolina.

[quote]
I don't know much about him, but I'm skeptical that we'll be able to find a starter with the thirtieth pick (although, stranger things have happened).

I don't think we'll get a starter with that pick, but we might get somebody who will be a contributor within a couple years. We probably could have gotten Freddie Jones with the 29th a couple years back.

His body is weak.

That's not necessarily a weakness. It sounds like Reggie. If Reggie hangs on for the remainder of his contract & we draft this guy, wow! Think of all the tricks Reggie could teach him...but that's wishful thinking.

Yeah, if his only weakness of note is being too thin, I like him. And if Reggie is around to teach him how to use screens and draw fouls.... wow.

I might have to start looking through all the prospects, because you guys are telling me about some pretty interesting players.

zxc
06-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Looks pretty good. Though rather we solve the backcourt issues through a trade or a FA signing then with a late 1st round rookie.

Because the only concern the Pacers have this offseason is how to stop Hamilton apparently.. =\

Grant
06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
One potential problem with him, and others no doubt, is that he wants a guarantee of going in the first round. Othwerwise he may go back to college for another year.

I don't think anybody that is picking low in the draft is going to make any guarantees, because there are too many possibilities.

Some of these guys might bail out if they are projected in the 26-35 range because they would miss the guaranteed contract if they slip into the second round.

LAPacer
06-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Looks pretty good. Though rather we solve the backcourt issues through a trade or a FA signing then with a late 1st round rookie.

Because the only concern the Pacers have this offseason is how to stop Hamilton apparently.. =\

We shouldn't base our offseason moves on how to stop Rip. Rips is good, but not that good. Making your team good enough to slow Shaq down is one thing, to slow Rip down is just overreacting.

SkipperZ
06-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Funny, that you mention him because DraftCity projected him to go #30 to Indiana

If we passed up JR Smith for this guy, as draftcity says we will, I will personally go kick Larry Birds ***

Eindar
06-07-2004, 10:49 PM

If we passed up JR Smith for this guy, as draftcity says we will, I will personally go kick Larry Birds ***

Why? Because he had one good game in a game that isn't part of any season, league, or tournament? Didn't we learn anything from Jonathan Bender? At least Bender was a freak physically. The rap on this guy on draftcity is that he has low basketball IQ and poor shot selection, in addition to inconsistency. Then he catches fire for the McDonalds game and all of a sudden, he's the next Vince Carter.

Seems like there are plenty of guys in this year's draft who are projects with upside. We would do ourselves a large favor to draft someone with good basketball IQ who has played at a higher level of competition, cause a guy straight out of high school is going to be absolutely worthless in crunch time during the playoffs. At least with the guy who led his team in college, he's used to some pressure, so he'll handle it a little better.

I should validate this by saying that big men don't count for this rant. I'm willing to invest 3 or 4 years in a guy who's 7'5" 330 :)