PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Kobe and Artest?

Fool
06-07-2004, 09:23 AM
I was just wondering what you thought about the job Kobe did on Hamilton, after one game, with respect to how Artest played him.

Was it just that Hamilton missed some open shots (so many went in and out) or was Kobe's defence of him (he was on him almost exclusively all night) just that much better than Artest's (I am mainly pointing to game 6 when Artest had the job of stopping Hamilton. I know RIP took advantage when others were on him, even in that game, but even at the end of game 6 when Artest was on him exclusively, he scored well)?

sweabs
06-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Rip had an off night...plain and simple.

I was yelling at the TV during most the game screaming "Oh...so now you decide you don't have to make those shots eh Rip!!!".

Shots he usually drilled effortlessly against the Pacers were going in and out last night. Kobe had one or two nice defensive plays but I didn't see anything special. I don't know if Detroit sees the Rip/Kobe matchup as the best one to utilize either? Judging by last nights performance, I would say expect more from Chauncey - that is the best matchup in the Pistons favour.

Cactus Jax
06-07-2004, 10:02 AM
That and Sheed on Malone as well, he destroyed the Mailman from the outside and the inside as well.

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Kobe did a very good job on Rip, better than Artest did.

And that is no accident.

Ron is not good at following guys around screens. Rip is very quick and he is so thin, there is ntohign for Ron to grab, hold, bump.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 10:19 AM

And that is no accident.

Ron is not good at following guys around screens. Rip is very quick and he is so thin, there is ntohign for Ron to grab, hold, bump.

UB - you have to admit though...Rip missed a lot of shots that he seemingly would have made with ease against the Pacers.

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 10:22 AM

And that is no accident.

UB - you have to admit though...Rip missed a lot of shots that he seemingly would have made with ease against the Pacers.

He missed a few but mostly that was because he was rushed where against the Pacers he was able to get comfortable and in a rhythm.

Tight defense makes you miss even open shots.

ChicagoJ
06-07-2004, 10:39 AM

And that is no accident.

Ron is not good at following guys around screens. Rip is very quick and he is so thin, there is nothing for Ron to grab, hold, bump.

In other words, there is nothing for Ron to foul?

:D

Roy Munson
06-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Kobe is much quicker than Artest. Kobe plays "speed defense" while Artest specializes in "strength defense". there are situations where both are more useful than the other.

What last night's game really demonstrated to me was the difference between "Kobe defense" and "Reggie defense".

naptownmenace
06-07-2004, 11:57 AM
What last night's game really demonstrated to me was the difference between "Kobe defense" and "Reggie defense".

:rotflmao:

Wait... that's actually kind of sad. :cry:

Hicks
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Kobe did a good job, but Rip still missed open shots after Kobe got snagged on a screen. I expect that to change. He doesn't need any more time than he got to hit those, they just didn't drop.

I think he was choking under pressure, personally. Reason being some shots he missed badly, and the thing that really caught my attention was he missed more than 1 FT.

But I think that will pass. Especially after this win.

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't see Rip exploding like he did in the ECF , he will have a couple of pretty good games but nothing like the ECF.

Billups will do most the work in the Finals and not Rip.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I disagree I think Rip could easily average over 20ppg this series. He got his looks last night. LA's not good enough to deny him those looks. Hell, we weren't.

Anthem
06-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I disagree I think Rip could easily average over 20ppg this series. He got his looks last night. LA's not good enough to deny him those looks. Hell, we weren't.

Exactly. Earlier in the thread somebody said he was more comfortable against the Pacers defense. That's not what I saw... he generally wasn't able to get away from Ron on picks. He did an obscene amount of his damage against the Pacers on broken plays.

Off night. Bad news for the Lakers.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 02:58 PM

:laugh: - That is a great summary.

Snickers
06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Maybe just a little bit of Finals jitters. He'll bounce back.

Pistons in 7. I don't know why. :neutral:

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 03:20 PM

:laugh: - That is a great summary.

One that I like :devil: Stupid Lakers

SycamoreKen
06-07-2004, 03:25 PM
As long is he is a threat to score and makes Kobi chase him all night then he doesn't have to score a bunch. Kobi is the only guy on the Lakers that can guard him and he will be using tons of energy to do so. He will probably have a lot more 10-27 games as this series goes a long.

Ant
06-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Rip seemed a little bit nervous or just not comfortable to me. He definitely had some good looks that he normally doesnt miss and he missed them badly. But he'll find his groove in time, as soon as he knocks down 2 or 3 midrange shots in a row he'll be just fine.