PDA

View Full Version : Stern wants to get rid of IL.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 01:20 AM
I hope he gets that to happen in the new CBA.

(Scroll down)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2611273

Stern idea
While describing his idea to use NBDL as a limited minor league for young players with NBA contracts, NBA commissioner David Stern said he hoped in the next collective bargaining agreement to do away with the injured (and pretending to be injured) list.

"Our proposal would be to have 15 players under control," Stern said. "Let the injured list rest in peace."

I like this idea.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I wonder if that ideology would include doing away with the 12-man playoff roster as well... somehow, I doubt it.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 01:31 AM
I wonder if that ideology would include doing away with the 12-man playoff roster as well... somehow, I doubt it.

Yeah, I thought about that and like you, I doubt it.

But still, for the regular season, I like that.

Eindar
06-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Hmm, tough question. I guess the question really is, will these 13-15th men be better by playing in the NBDL, or will they be better by practicing against a higher level of competition? I think the best way to work this is to allow individual team management to decide whether they practice with the team or play for the NBDL. Or, if that's too complicated, make sure that the NBA franchise gets to pick the coaches of the NBDL team, to ensure their projects are getting good coaching to go with the large playing time. I think David Stern wants to get the younger players who are on the bench more PT to make the league stronger overall. However, that's not going to work if the NBDL coach is a hack who knows less about fundamentals and solid play than a college coach. It'd be like letting them play high school ball against guys their own size.

EDIT: Also, how would it work? For instance, if Jamaal hurts himself next season, do we just pull up Brewer mid-season for 5 games, then ship him back to the Lowgators? Will those guys be willing to go play in a semi-crappy league, only to be pulled up to sit on the bench for 5 games, and then shipped back to the crappy league? Also, what problems arise if you get a player that expected to be a contributor for the Pacers, and ends up being asked to contribute for Ft. Wayne? It's bad enough for a guy to be told he's gotta sit till someone gets injured. It's entirely another matter to tell him he's gotta go play in a whole other league. I could easily see some major flare-ups due to egos.

able
06-07-2004, 06:34 AM
I think, with all due respect, that you are misunderstanding here, he wants all 15 man to be on active roster, unlike now, 12 active 3 IRL.

The NBDL is meant for players that are now f.i. playing in Europe, while having a contract with a NBA team.

This would allow for A. playing Brewer whenever you want it, without having to send someone to the IRL.
B. having high-schoolers, play in a competitive situation instead of being relegated to Europe or the IRL.
C. Allow teams to have 20 players on contract, 5 on development teams and 15 on the roster.
I highly doubt that you would get a structure with call-ups and send downs as we see in the minors, but something like that twice a year as an option is my guess.

indygeezer
06-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I prefer to see the exact same set up as the minors. COmplete with minor league contracts. You're paid this much if in the bigs and this much if in the minors, here's your signing bonus, now go practice.

Dukins
06-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. It would help players like Brewer to get off the pine. Otherwise we will still see him wearing those throwback 70 suits. Get rid of IL immediately. :dance: :pepper:

sixthman
06-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I think the change would make the league better. These young kids need to play.

The current IR system is a hypocrisy and needs to be eliminated.

Snickers
06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I like it. The IL really doesn't do much now anyway. And it does get kind of annoying seeing so many scrubs go to the IL with "back spasms" and "sore calves."

able, would teams really be allowed to have 5 NBDL players on contract? :confused:

able
06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
5 was a number that was derived from earlier speeches on the subject, where 3 NBA terams would "share" 1 NBDL team.

15 players makes 5 each :D

Eindar
06-07-2004, 04:59 PM
What happens if none of those 3 teams is developing a center or a PG at the time? :P

Snickers
06-07-2004, 05:05 PM
5 was a number that was derived from earlier speeches on the subject, where 3 NBA terams would "share" 1 NBDL team.

15 players makes 5 each :D

I like that idea. It's a pseudo-farm system, where teams could send their projects to the NBDL without having to forfeit their rights.

Are they actually going to implement that system along with doing away with the IL? If so, I invite you all to do a happy little dance with me.

:dance:

sig
06-08-2004, 02:16 PM
What happens when a player is really injured? How is that factored into insurance replacing salaries or exemptions received from players with lengthy injuries who live on the IL? Not sure of this but apparently if Grant Hill cannot play this upcoming season, Orlando will be able to remove his salary from their cap next summer.