PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Arts at its best

Lord Helmet
03-25-2008, 02:13 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/24/ea-explains-battlefield-bcs-pay-to-play-weapons/

I don't like the idea of shelling out money for weapons that don't even change gameplay. If they don't change gameplay and are just for a change in looks and what not, then why are we being forced to pay for them, EA?

Eventually we're going to have to pay for football teams in Madden.......

Aw Heck
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm more concerned about EA's recent efforts to buy Take-Two Interactive (makers of the 2k games and GTA among others). Based on the articles I've read, Take-Two is trying to hold out at least until GTA IV comes out.

I really like the NBA 2k series, so I would be really angry if it went down.

travmil
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm more concerned about EA's recent efforts to buy Take-Two Interactive (makers of the 2k games and GTA among others). Based on the articles I've read, Take-Two is trying to hold out at least until GTA IV comes out.

I really like the NBA 2k series, so I would be really angry if it went down.

EA is simply trying to cash in on the company while it's at the lowest selling point it will ever be. As soon as GTAIV comes out their asking price goes up overnight.

Don't we have a PD member that is working on this game? It would be interesting to hear what he thinks about this. I know that I will never buy a game that doesn't ship with a full feature set. Downloadable maps are one thing, because two players have to have the same map to play on that map over the net. But it isn't right that I can boot up a game and have to play against people that have different weapons than I do. I don't care if they say that it won't offer an advantage. I still don't like it, and will vote with my wallet, or lack of it rather.

efx
03-25-2008, 11:59 AM
If you're talking about Bad Company, then yes, I work on it (designer). Then again, there isn't much I can talk about in regards to the above situation. Game specific questions I can probably help out as the beta is live now.

Lord Helmet
03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope Take-Two doesn't sell to EA.

They'll probably also try to spew out many GTA's year after year.

GTA IV 1.5

Also, the beta for Bad Company was IMO, handled badly. I think there was no chance to get in without paying some sort of cash. You had to pre-order the game at Gamestop or you had be be a Gold member of IGN.com.

I don't understand why they at least couldn't have free tokens like Halo 3 did and Call of Duty 4 did.

That way some people get to try it out for free and you could maybe get a few more people committing to buying the game.

With Call of Duty 4 I think the only way you could get in was just be signing up and hoping you got a token in your e-mail.

Halo 3 had 3 ways. Buy Crackdown, Play a certain ammount of Halo 2 for a period of time and then sign up on a site. Or you were randomly given a token via your Bungie.net account.

I bought Crackdown, but I still got a free token via my e-mail account, so it turned out I didn't even need to buy Crackdown.

While you did have to essentially buy Crackdown to 100% guarantee you'd get in the Halo 3 Beta, you had plenty of other options with a good enough chance to get in without having to pay, and that is my point.

efx
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Fileplanet actually has had two waves of free keys for people who have the non-paying subscription to their sites. And there probably will be more.

Des4L
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hopefully they'll fix the "trendy" shooting in the BF format. You know... "Prone and Shoot"

Lord Helmet
03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Fileplanet actually has had two waves of free keys for people who have the non-paying subscription to their sites. And there probably will be more.
Oh, well I didn't see that.

Sorry.

tora tora
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
So does anyone enjoy the Beta? It's not nearly as good as Battlefield 2 in my opinion. What's with those retarded red dots over your head after you've been spotted? Where's Conquest mode? Where's the parachutes? I know it's just a beta, not impressed so far. It reminds me too much of Call of Duty 4. :puke:

Shade
04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This "paying for downloadable content after already shelling out $50+ for the game" sucks. A lot. I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on Rock Band so far (or the Wii Virtual Console, for that matter).