PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Will NOT Win Game 2

ROCislandWarrior
06-06-2004, 11:33 PM
because Phil Jackson will complain about the lack of foul calls after game 1 and the refs will suck the Lakers :censor: 's in game 2 :unimpressed:

TheSauceMaster
06-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Chances of wining 2 in LA are very slim anyways

Hicks
06-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I think Phil's *****ing will earn them another 10 FTs, but that won't necissarily mean much. They didn't get many this game not because they got hosed by the refs, but because Det made them shoot a lot of outside shots. You don't get to the line from out there.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 12:13 AM
I think that was an awesome game to watch.

If you all noticed, that crowd was not into the game from the start - almost like they felt the trophy should just be handed over to them during the National Anthem.

Those fans, and the players included, seemed to think "Well - the hard part is over. We got out of the West...now we have to beat the crappy East team to win it all".

Things have changed my friends!

The Lakers were shocked - some of their shots were...get this...contested!!!

ROCislandWarrior
06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I think that was an awesome game to watch.

If you all noticed, that crowd was not into the game from the start - almost like they felt the trophy should just be handed over to them during the National Anthem.

Those fans, and the players included, seemed to think "Well - the hard part is over. We got out of the West...now we have to beat the crappy East team to win it all".

Things have changed my friends!

Almost all of their shots were. At one point Doc Rivers said "the crowd keeps telling the Lakers to shoot it, but the problem is, they are covered"

The EC is all about the D baby!!!

Roy Munson
06-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Did AssWeed Wallace guarantee a Piston loss in Game 2? :)

That was a fun game to watch. I started off hoping for a Laker blowout, but as the game went on, I found myself rooting for Detroit because it was so enjoyable looking at the Lakers struggle, and especially fun to watch Colonel Sanders on the sidelines with that uncomfortable, disbelieving, disgusted look on his face.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-07-2004, 12:18 AM
:o ;)

I think the Lakers will continue their pattern of showing up only when they feel like it. Since being down 2-0 to Detroit while heading to Motown for possibly 3 straight doesn't seem like a good idea, I expect the Lakers to kick it up a notch in Game 2. Still, even that doesn't guarantee them a victory.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Did AssWeed Wallace guarantee a Piston loss in Game 2? :)

That was a fun game to watch. I started off hoping for a Laker blowout, but as the game went on, I found myself rooting for Detroit because it was so enjoyable looking at the Lakers struggle, and especially fun to watch Colonel Sanders on the sidelines with that uncomfortable, disbelieving, disgusted look on his face.

This is exactly what happened to me. And now I am thoroughly rooting for the Pistons to prove that the East is coming :devil: .

Hicks
06-07-2004, 12:20 AM
:o ;)

I think the Lakers will continue their pattern of showing up only when they feel like it. Since being down 2-0 to Detroit while heading to Motown for possibly 3 straight doesn't seem like a good idea, I expect the Lakers to kick it up a notch in Game 2. Still, even that doesn't guarantee them a victory.

I don't know how much higher a notch they can go to. Kobe had 25, Shaq had 35.

Malone may score more, but it's not like they were leaving him wide open, either.

There was nothing about this game that screamed "fluke win" to me.

If anything, the only fluke I saw was Hamilton's offense.

ROCislandWarrior
06-07-2004, 12:25 AM
good call Hicks

Hamilton was a no show. And the big 2 had a really good night.

It is clear that the Pistons game plan is to make Payton, Malone and the bench beat them.

The lakers don't have nearly as much all-around talent as we had. Makes things interesting.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Indeed. This Pistons win certainly was not a fluke by any means. The Lakers win by playing team basketball, a concept which eludes them a good percentage of the time including tonight. Still, I expect more than just Shaq and Kobe to score. If the Lakers rely upon just those two, this series will be over very, very quickly.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Isn't it "amazing" how much better Det's bench looks against LAL's bench instead of ours? ;)

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Will history repeat itself ?

Philadelphia 76ers, coached by Larry Brown, shock the Lakers in Game 1 of the 2001 Finals at Staples. Allen Iverson abused the guards and had a great game. The Lakers go on to take the next four games.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 01:35 AM

Philadelphia 76ers, coached by Larry Brown, shock the Lakers in Game 1 of the 2001 Finals at Staples. Allen Iverson abused the guards and had a great game. The Lakers go on to take the next four games.

Nope. Totally different team. This team has better D than the Sixers, and more balanced scoring, and more depth.

Plus, the only reason the Sixers won game 1 was due to them forcing OT, and Iverson erupting for 49 points.

Nothing drastic like that happened tonight. The Pistons simply beat the Lakers.

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Well Phil Seems to have a Knack for driving a team to win.

In 1991, Bulls swept the Lakers 4 straight after losing game 1 and home court advantage.

I was impressed with Detriot tonight but not enough to say Detriot can win this series still

Lakers in 6 ;)

dipperdunk
06-07-2004, 02:04 AM

Nope. Totally different team. This team has better D than the Sixers, and more balanced scoring, and more depth.

Plus, the only reason the Sixers won game 1 was due to them forcing OT, and Iverson erupting for 49 points.

Nothing drastic like that happened tonight. The Pistons simply beat the Lakers.

Nice post Hicks I agree with your points. Plus, there are a couple of other huge differences that 76ers had 3 key players with serious injuries and had just played 2 gruelling 7 game series and had 1 day off between series whereas the Lakers had 10 days off before that series. Plus the biggest difference that Lakers team was a powerhouse; if you remember they were 11-0 in the playoffs that year before the Finals and they had destroyed the Western Conference that entire playoffs with mostly 20+ pt. blowouts. This version of the Lakers is still a very good team but has shown exploitable weaknesses throughout this years playoffs whereas the other Lakers team was a powerhouse that had much better role players surrounding Kobe and Shaq.

The Pistons are going to give them everything they can handle and then some. It will be a war.

TheSauceMaster
06-07-2004, 02:10 AM
1 game tells me nothing , if it tells you something then maybe you need to be a HC or GM in the NBA.

I thought for sure the Spurs after being up 2-0 would easily beat the Lakers ..we all know how that story ends.

The real question is can the Pistons put 3 more games like the one they played tonight together before the Lakers wake up , they seemed outta sync tonight and I think game 2 may shed more light but if the Lakers win game 2 then this series is even.

Hicks
06-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I just think everyone's giving the Lakers too much credit with the "out of sync" or "sleepwalking" talk. Shaq and Kobe weren't out of sync, and they got their points. They lost.

As for past history of losing game 1 then sweeping, or whatever, I don't put much stock in that. In fact I don't put any stock in it. These teams are not those teams, so it really means nothing.

grace
06-07-2004, 01:20 PM

I don't know that the Lakers will win the next 4 games. They'll probably lose one in Detroit.

If by some chance the Pistons do end up winning the whole thing just consider my "Snowball Chance on Rodeo Drive" post to have been Negative Karma. :)

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind that if Detroit wins this would be less of an upset than their first title vs the Showtime Lakers.

This is the best EC Finals rep since 2000.

Kstat
06-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Keep in mind that if Detroit wins this would be less of an upset than their first title vs the Showtime Lakers.

This is the best EC Finals rep since 2000.

....um, what?

1988, would have been a big upset, granted, but 1989? The team that the NBA lists as one of their greatest teams EVER?

We won 63 games in 1989.

We already clobbered the Bulls and Celtics in the playoffs.

We MAULED the Lakers 4-0 in the finals. Yes, they didnt have Magic for 2 games, but we were demolishing them even BEFORE his injury.

nobody considers 1989 an upset. LA swept the first 3 rounds that year against teams that wouldnt have made it out of the FIRST ROUND in the east. LA was over the hill aside from Magic, and Detroit's guys were in their prime.

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 02:09 PM
[quote]

nobody considers 1989 an upset. LA swept the first 3 rounds that year against teams that wouldnt have made it out of the FIRST ROUND in the east. LA was over the hill aside from Magic, and Detroit's guys were in their prime.

Nobody does now. At the time it was considered HIGHLY unlikely. Detroit was a team without a lot of firepower and while Dumars and Thomas were considered nice players they didn't match up with Worthy, Magic, Byron & Kareem. The expectation was that they were going to get run right off the floor.

I suppose if Detroit wins this year then 10 years from now someone will say that Shaq, Payton and Malone were all past their prime and Kobe was in the middle of a very serious legal battle so how could anyone expect the Lakers to win?

Kstat
06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Nobody does now. At the time it was considered HIGHLY unlikely. Detroit was a team without a lot of firepower and while Dumars and Thomas were considered nice players they didn't match up with Worthy, Magic, Byron & Kareem. The expectation was that they were going to get run right off the floor.

Um, what? :confused:

Detroit took a 3-2 series lead on LA the year BEFORE and WOULD have won the title had LA not cuaght a few lucky breaks.

The next year Detroit has a better season, a better record in a much tougher conference, CLOBBERS LA in the 2 regular season matchups, ADDS Mark Aguirre mid-season, gets home court advantage in the finals, and all of a suddern they're underdogs?

naptownmenace
06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
[quote]

I suppose if Detroit wins this year then 10 years from now someone will say that Shaq, Payton and Malone were all past their prime and Kobe was in the middle of a very serious legal battle so how could anyone expect the Lakers to win?

I have to disagree with you Rim and agree with Kstat on this one. After taking the Lakers to 7 games in 1988, how in the world could they be considered underdogs in 89'?

They were picked to win the title from the beginning of the season. After trading Dantley for Mark Agguire, that came into question but they kept on rolling. Win they won it all, it wasn't a surprise to non-Lakers fans.

BTW, Detroit had plenty of firepower. Zeek, Joe-D, and Aguirre got you 20 a game. Laimbeer was a scorer, the "Microwave" was nothing but offense, and big James Edwards was a very good low post scorer.

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 03:25 PM
I must be misremembering something - maybe I'm thinking of the season before.

SycamoreKen
06-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I too am always amazed that people state that the Lakers were "going through the motions" when their opponent takes them out of their rythem and beats them. I didn't see any highlites of the Pistons getting a catch turn and shoot in .4 seconds to win, so maybe they actually earned it.

Detroit has a chance to win this series because they play very good team ball and have enough offense to get the job done.

naptownmenace
06-07-2004, 03:36 PM

If you are referring to the year before by mistake, then yes I can agree with you. Many people were surprised that the Pistons pushed the Lakers to seven games, heck they were only four points away from winning it all IIRC.

ChicagoJ
06-07-2004, 03:39 PM

If you are referring to the year before by mistake, then yes I can agree with you. Many people were surprised that the Pistons pushed the Lakers to seven games, heck they were only four points away from winning it all IIRC.

Gotta agree with Naptown, that's how I remember it...