PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

campy
03-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I have to give a speech in my speech class here in a couple of days and have no idea what to do it on. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bellisimo
03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
pacers digest...

girls...

heywoode's cheerleaders...

your favorite TV show...

something you feel passionate about...

JayRedd's mustache...

LG's lovefest for peace corps...

kester99
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
...passionate about, yes, but also something you already know top to bottom...2 days is too short to learn enough about a totally new (to you) topic.

grace
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Indiana Pacers: The Rise And Fall Of A NBA Franchise

Putnam
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Talk about how black people and white people don't get along very well in America, and how you think it would be better if they did. In fact, you can say it is a dream of yours that someday they will get along better. Be sure and use lots of strong consonant sounds, expecially "K". You should say people should be judged by the "content of their character" rather than the "color" of their skin. Once you get going, you can just keep shoving in stuff about mountaintops and Alabama jailhouses and your four little children and so forth. The thing will practically write itself, and it has worked well before.

avoidingtheclowns
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
the chewbacca defense

JayRedd
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Talk about the unjust killing of the innocent independent contractors who died when the Rebels blew up the second Death Star.

LoneGranger33
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Collateral damage JR, just collateral damage...

Start your speech a quote and then end it with one too...it always works. Martin Luther King always had quotes all over his speeches, like "I had a dream" and "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" - and he was a pretty good speaker if I remember correctly.

If I were you, I'd try to avoid using any of your own words. I remember giving a speech once where I only used my own words, and the audience didn't understand any of it. That's bound to happen when you make up your own vocabulary, words like swighle and hasgly.

kester99
03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
You could introduce your listeners to the Pacers Digest forum. The topics, the threads, the cast of characters...the invaluable help you get when you need it desperately.

grace
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
You could introduce your listeners to the Pacers Digest forum. The topics, the threads, the cast of characters...the invaluable help you get when you need it desperately.

Maybe not. People might misconstrue our pointers as doing your homework for you.

campy
03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Well I think I found a topic. I'm speaking on how city curfews are unconsitutional. Dr. King will be quoted for most of it i can see.

heywoode
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
yeah, Dr. King was a big crusader for the injustices done to juveniles who deserve (I.E. have the constitutional RIGHT) to be out at 1 am....

I'm not saying it's not a good subject, but not sure MLK quotes are pertinent for such a subject. Take me with a grain of salt, I got as good as a solid 'B' speaker in college. I'm a little more polished now...

It always works best for me to figure the time I have to speak and lay out a beginning, an end, and the major points I want to cover in between. Then I start laying out the points in an order that makes sense, allowing for a good transition between points...one leading to the next....
Once I have the time down and the points in order, I practice the speech aloud and start spiffballing the details around each point, making note of what works and what doesn't. Polish it down to a few sentences for each point with a good opening and closing. Then practice that final draft four or five times out loud, preferably for one or two people. Ask them to interrupt if something doesn't make sense or sounds dumb...

After that, I could lose my outline notes, have my laptop die, and have the bulb go out on my projector and still pull it off...

I speak once or twice a month to groups from a dozen to 200 and it works for me every time.

Putnam
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Read Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis, and then do exactly what Jim Dixon does when he has to give a speech.

1. get drunk beforehand
2. imitate your teacher/professor unflatteringly
3. do an impression of Hitler while holding a finger stiffly under your nose
4. fake a dead faint (having prepped a friend or two to rush up to the stage and carry out your body
5. drop out of school and go make up to your former girlfriend, who is nicer than any of the jerks you met at school.

James Bond
03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Honestly.
If you want an easy way out just choose a subject used all the time.
Teen drinking. Drug use. Teen pregnancy. Abortion... ect. ect.
Although it's used all the time, it is incredibly easy to speak about as long as you have some sort of stance on the topic.

JayRedd
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Well I think I found a topic. I'm speaking on how city curfews are unconsitutional. Dr. King will be quoted for most of it i can see.

Honestly.
If you want an easy way out just choose a subject used all the time.
Teen drinking. Drug use. Teen pregnancy. Abortion... ect. ect.
Although it's used all the time, it is incredibly easy to speak about as long as you have some sort of stance on the topic.

Boring.

Talk about the Hot/Crazy scale. And for Heaven's sake, don't forget to explain the Vicki Mendoza Diaganol.

kYrZSjpiIK4

SycamoreKen
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
You should do it over the "Thug" factor and how it affects the success of NBA teams.

Or, show how the Pacers are no longer filled with "thugs" and try to win fans back.

campy
03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Well I got a C- minus. My speech was good but when the teacher is straight out of the underworld what can you do?

The Toxic Avenger
03-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Talk about the unjust killing of the innocent independent contractors who died when the Rebels blew up the second Death Star.

Hey they knew the risk going in! The other day I got offered a job...