PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry...?

PacerCrazy
06-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know more information about how that trade worked out last year? In another thread somene mentioned us having 4 or 5 million extra becuase of his expiring contract. Did we pay him that this year? For some reason I was under the impression he retired so we didn't have to worry about him starting last summer. Does anyone know?

Will Galen
06-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know more information about how that trade worked out last year? In another thread somene mentioned us having 4 or 5 million extra becuase of his expiring contract. Did we pay him that this year? For some reason I was under the impression he retired so we didn't have to worry about him starting last summer. Does anyone know?

Some contracts are guaranteed so the player gets paid even if he retires. Ferry's was like that.

BigMac
06-06-2004, 10:57 PM

If I recall correctly, Ferry had a team option for this season. The Pacers were able to not pay him because they did not pick up that option, or it was not guaranteed. Now, in the case of Joe Klein who came over with Jermaine O'Neal, the Pacers bought him out (paid him his $1 mil or so) and said bye to him-he wasn't going to play here anyway-retiring like Ferry, who stayed with the Spurs organization, to stay with the Blazers organization (which I think he did).

I don't think the Ferry contract saved us any money except to help us get under the mystery Luxury Tax threshold. A tax that never came to be and most likely never will. At least not next year or this year.

TheSauceMaster
06-06-2004, 11:07 PM
actually Ferry counted 4.5 million against our salary if you look it up.

Natston
06-07-2004, 12:33 AM

I seem to remember that happening. I think there was a deadline for us to cut him before he would count anything, but Donnie simply let the deadline pass and then he cut him... :uhoh:

ROCislandWarrior
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM

I seem to remember that happening. I think there was a deadline for us to cut him before he would count anything, but Donnie simply let the deadline pass and then he cut him... :uhoh:

Maybe Donnie was trying to use him as trade bait, and a possible deal fell through?

Will Galen
06-07-2004, 01:03 AM
You know what we need on here? Or what we need to do? We need an archive of Pacer fact's and player and coach statements. It seems six months to a year later we are always wondering about some statement Walsh made or, JO made, or wondering about a contract.

We . . . I need it because I'm old and senile and have a bad memory. Of course that was my excuse 40 years ago too. <grin>

sixthman
06-07-2004, 09:43 AM

Not true.

As was said earlier, it is the general consensus that Danny Ferry's contract ended with last season. The Pacers had a team option and declined to renew his contract, which was AOK with Danny since he had retired months before.

Ferry was kept on the books by San Antonio to use as filler for trading purposes.