PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2008-2009 IU Basketball Thread

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey, at least its technically a new season for us now, right?

Big Smooth
03-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Sure....a new season where we don't know who the coach will be and quite possibly we'll have an entirely new roster.....primarily composed of intramural players. :D

I prefer to wait and see who the new coach will be before I even begin to ponder next season. It's MLB time, I'll rest my mind of the troubles of IU basketball for a few months.

Coop
03-22-2008, 08:07 AM
So who is everyone's top choices for coaches? In this order, I'm thinking:

Jamie Dixon
Sean Miller
Tony Bennett
Bruce Pearl

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
In a perfect world we would get Rick Barnes and Ebanks would stay since Texas is his first choice right now outside of us.
I'd really like Sean Miller of Xavier though and I think Pearl would bring a lot of excitement here.
Katz said on ESPN yesterday that we are down to two candidates both with final four resumes so we'll see what happens.

Shade
03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
The best thing that could happen is that EJ decides to stay another year, Ebanks and Barnes decide to stay, and Bruce Pearl is our new head coach. :sunshine:

I will say this; we'd better not get hit with ridiculous sanctions from the NCAA. We already threw this entire season (and maybe even next season) into the crapper to appease them.

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Shade, Barnes is the Texas head coach not a recruit. Holloway is the PG that also has the release from his LOI and he will probably go wherever Ebanks does.
I want Barnes because he does have a final four resume and Texas is currently Ebanks's backup once we officially let him out of his LOI.

pwee31
03-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Rick Barnes
Mark Few
Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta

In no particular order. Neither will probably happen though

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't want Few. Gonzaga has always been a horrible tournament team under him. The only times they ever made a run to the Sweet 16 was when they snuck up on someone.

Robertmto
03-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Just get Dakich the hell out of the program!!!

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Dakich is a great assistant coach. He is perfect in that role.

Robertmto
03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Dakich is a great assistant coach. He is perfect in that role.

Anybody who plays Jordan Crawford all that time a game is a horrible coach period. JC is horrible. Honestly, HORRIBLE. Get Dakich and JC out of the program please

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Dakich as an assistant coach would be a perfect fit for IU. He understands IU basketball.

Crawford is not horrible. He needs to mature, but he did average 10 ppg this season as freshman. Either way I think its a moot point as Crawford is the most likely player to transfer.

Robertmto
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Dakich as an assistant coach would be a perfect fit for IU. He understands IU basketball.

Crawford is not horrible. He needs to mature, but he did average 10 ppg this season as freshman. Either way I think its a moot point as Crawford is the most likely player to transfer.

i really hope he does

avoidingtheclowns
03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
my new favorite hyphenated word?

"brain-fondling"

Indiana's Hopes Lie With Dan Dakich, NCAA's Forrest Gump

Written by Matthew T. Sussman (http://www.futonreport.net/)
Published February 24, 2008

The stories around Indiana University's head coach have circled around Kelvin Sampson's NCAA violations, and rightly so: it's almost as if the man's addicted to recruiting high school basketball players by cheating.

But the more brain-fondling series of events might be how IU's interim coach, Dan Dakich, is not only again the head coach of a basketball team, but coaching a team of such prestige when less than a year ago he couldn't retain the same job at a much worse program.

Even though the official books say Dakich resigned as head coach of Bowling Green State University, informed fans pretty much assumed that the school was not going to renew his contract, and the resignation was an agreed upon save of face. The last few years of his 10-year tenure at BGSU was riddled with players transferring away — two of them went to Division II and III schools, for Christ's sake. And in his last two seasons, the team finished 9-21 and 13-18. There was every reason for a change of scenery.

But up until last week, Dakich was nationally known for three college basketball footnotes:

(1) Defending Michael Jordan in the 1984 NCAA basketball tournament, holding him to just 13 points in Indiana's upset of North Carolina

(2) Accepting the head coaching position at West Virginia in 2002, before finding a potential NCAA violation there and returning to BGSU one week later

(3) February 13, 2007, when his Falcons team left the court against the University at Buffalo thinking they won the game 77-75, but in reality 0.6 seconds remained on the clock, and all BGSU had to do was chuck the ball inbounds down the court. Instead, they tried to literally run out of Buffalo with a win. But once they were obligatorily ushered back to the court several minutes later, the team was assessed a technical foul for delay of game, UB made the free throws, and the Bulls won in overtime (http://deadspin.com/sports/college-basketball/new-and-inventive-ways-to-lose-a-game-236582.php), 98-90.

After that completely embarrassing game on February 13, 2007 (okay, it was funny to everybody else, ha ha. Seriously, though, stop laughing), Dakich was pretty much done at BG, and there was little certainly he could land another head coaching position right away. But the native Indianan accepted a job at his alma mater, Indiana, as Director of Basketball Operations. It's a really strange job, judging by the description (http://www.wbca.org/cwb/02septdobresults.asp), but it's mainly the team's "dirty job" in that the tasks nobody wants to do yet need to get done normally fall under the jurisdiction of the DBO. (Changing Rick Majerus' diaper, for example.)

Dakich's demotion, so to speak, would have been a fitting end to the story of the hotheaded and fallible coach finally ending up at home in Bloomington, Indiana, where he both played and coached under Bob Knight. But strangely that was far from the end of the story.

Earlier this year Dakich replaced Rob Senderoff as assistant coach, because Senderoff left the program for almost the same reasons (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3086559) Sampson was bought out of his contract last week. Once last Friday's news went down that Sampson was out and Dakich was in, the time elapsed between his departure from BGSU and backroom swearing-in didn't even add up to a calendar year.

Now I know how Forrest Gump's hometown connections felt when they saw him on TV meeting the president.

There's no telling how Dakich will do in the final weeks of the season — he and IU won at lowly Northwestern (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/SPORTS0601/802230518/0/OPINION) on Saturday — although at 23-4, IU is looking at a No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. But moreover, I'm infinitely clueless on how I want him to fare as interim head coach. Do I want the guy to fail, so as to validate the last few seasons of futility he brought upon BGSU? Or perhaps I want the man to succeed, not only because a tiny bit of fortune might be due for him, but also to sufficiently disturb the peaceful equilibrium of college basketball.

By all proper reason, Dakich should not have been given a chance to sniff the collegiate sideline, let alone one near a Big Ten decal, and especially not as the role of head coach. But the alignment of Dan Dakich's BGSU contract and Kelvin Sampson's cell phone bill laid on a vector created purely out of circumstance. Now the man who coached a team to lose 14 of their last 17 games (in the Mid-American Conference, mind you) will now cook up plays on a dry erase board for a team ranked 15th in the nation, sitting ½ game back in the Big Ten, and showing no reason they can't reach the NCAA tournament's Sweet 16.

Coach, Forrest. Coach.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/02/24/232305.php

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Also for reference, Sampson was hired on March 29th. A little over a week after Oklahoma lost in the tourney and five or so days before the national championship.

Big Smooth
03-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Katz said on ESPN yesterday that we are down to two candidates both with final four resumes so we'll see what happens.

The Final Four resume doesn't mean much to me. Mike Davis has a Final Four resume. :uhoh:

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
The Final Four resume doesn't mean much to me. Mike Davis has a Final Four resume. :uhoh:

Thats a very fair point. I think he was using that to try and say that they are big names though. He could just be yanking our chains. We'll know soon enough.

Big Smooth
03-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Thats a very fair point. I think he was using that to try and say that they are big names though. He could just be yanking our chains. We'll know soon enough.

I just don't trust our decision makers too much. I hope they prove me wrong.

pwee31
03-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't want Few. Gonzaga has always been a horrible tournament team under him. The only times they ever made a run to the Sweet 16 was when they snuck up on someone.

I don't think they snuck up on everyone Morrison's senior year beat a few teams.. including IU, and should've beaten UCLA had the team not panicked.

You also have to think he's doing all this at Gonzaga. He should be able to bring a lot more talent to Indiana.

Not saying he should be the coach, just saying he's an option.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ben Howland, UCLA's coach either. Not sure he'll want to leave, but if he's losing the players he might be losing this year with Love, Collison, Shipp and Westbrook.... it might be something he's pondering.

haha maybe eddie sutton is looking to leave San Fran :laugh:

Big Smooth
03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't think they snuck up on everyone Morrison's senior year beat a few teams.. including IU, and should've beaten UCLA had the team not panicked.

You also have to think he's doing all this at Gonzaga. He should be able to bring a lot more talent to Indiana.

Not saying he should be the coach, just saying he's an option.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ben Howland, UCLA's coach either. Not sure he'll want to leave, but if he's losing the players he might be losing this year with Love, Collison, Shipp and Westbrook.... it might be something he's pondering.

haha maybe eddie sutton is looking to leave San Fran :laugh:

Ben Howland? The reason that does not get mentioned is that it is a total pipe dream.....may as well throw Coach K's name into the discussion too then. :D UCLA has more basketball tradition than IU and has a recruiting base just as good if not better than Indiana so....there is no logical reason to even discuss Howland.

Regarding Mark Few, I think he is a fine coach but I reckon the post-Gonzaga record of Dan Monson gives some folks a moment of hesitation. Gonzaga has lost tough games to some good teams in the tournament lately, it's not like they are getting completely blown out or upset by garbage teams.

But didn't Few say thanks but no thanks the last time IU came calling? I just don't see him as being interested.

Trader Joe
03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
You don't leave UCLA to coach at Indiana.

Major Cold
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I was under the impression that if Ebanks came here we could have sanctions over us. Sampson illegally recruited this player right?

Coop
03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Fox Sports is reporting that IU has offered Washington State coach Tony Bennett the job.

pwee31
03-29-2008, 12:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3319181

Source: Indiana's coaching search picking up steam
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Updated: March 29, 2008, 12:28 PM ET
Indiana is hoping to name a men's basketball coach by next Thursday, on the eve of the Final Four, according to a source with first-hand knowledge of the school's search process.

Efforts to replace former coach Kelvin Sampson and interim coach Dan Dakich have picked up speed as teams lose in the NCAA tournament, making coaches of tourney teams available for interviews. Athletic director Rick Greenspan was expected to go on the road this weekend to start conducting interviews outside of Bloomington, according to the source.

The source also said a published report Saturday morning that Indiana had made an offer to Washington State head coach Tony Bennett was inaccurate. Indiana has not offered anyone the job, according to the source.

Reached Saturday morning in Pullman, Bennett told ESPN.com, "I haven't had one conversation with [Indiana] and so, no, I haven't been offered the job.''

Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk said Saturday morning that no school has asked for permission to talk to Bennett.

According to the source, Bennett is expected to be one of the top names on Greenspan's list along with former Stanford and Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery. The source said that Indiana has been told that a potential buyout for Xavier's Sean Miller would be too rich for Indiana.

A source close to California said that the Bears are also interested in Bennett as a replacement for Ben Braun. And another source indicated Cal is looking at Montgomery, too.
Sampson resigned in February and took a buyout a week after the school received a notice of allegations for major violations in the program, stemming from phone call abuse. Indiana has to go in front of the committee on infractions in June. Indiana could add more self-imposed sanctions prior to the case being heard.

The NCAA won't release its findings or proposed penalties until sometime this summer after the hearing.

Dakich took over for Bennett on Feb. 23. The Hoosiers went 3-4 under Dakich, losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Arkansas. The Hoosiers will lose senior forward D.J. White and are expected to lose freshman Eric Gordon to the NBA draft.

Bennett was the national coach of the year last season after leading Washington State to 26 wins, a second-place finish in the Pac-10 and a second-round appearance in the NCAA tournament. Bennett led the Cougars to 26 wins again this season and advanced to the Sweet 16.

Bennett grew up in Wisconsin and played at Wisconsin-Green Bay under his father, Dick Bennett. Tony Bennett was an assistant at Wisconsin, working for his father on the 2000 Final Four team. The younger Bennett also coached under Brad Soderberg for a season and then Bo Ryan for two at Wisconsin before going to Washington State with his father as an assistant in 2003.

After last season, Washington State doubled Bennett's salary to $800,000. Sterk said Thursday night after the team's Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina that he would do everything in his power to keep Bennett, including offering raises to his assistant coaches and working on improving charter travel for the Cougars out of remote Pullman.

While Washington State will lose core seniors Derrick Low, Kyle Weaver and Robbie Cowgill, they are expected to return two key juniors, point guard Taylor Rochestie and center Aron Baynes. The Cougars are also adding a well-regarded recruiting class led by Klay Thompson, the son of former NBA player Mychal Thompson.

Bennett's sister, Kathi was the women's coach at Indiana for five years, the last being in 2005 when Greenspan was the athletic director.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Shade
03-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I really don't know enough about Bennett to comment yet. Not really a Montgomery fan, though.

Coop
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Even though this thread has died off, I'd just like to let anyone who doesn't know that Bobby Capobianco committed to IU today. He's a 6'8 PF in the class of 09. Scout and Rivals both have him as a 3-star but he's got a whole year to bump that up. We've got a good start on the 09 class with 2 big guys. Hopefully we can convince Stephenson to come in and fill the void at SF after next year.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Apparently IU picked up their third commitment for the 08-09 season late Saturday night. This from the Hoosier Scoop (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1928):

My usual Saturday night wind-down time in the HT office after fielding a plethora of phone calls from high school coaches all afternoon informing me of their results for the day was interrupted this time around by a late phone call from one Dave Hunter, the Sports Information Director at junior college Vincennes University, sparking a wave of furious activity to make sure our loyal readers would wake up to this tidbit in their edition of the Sunday paper.

Hunter’s news was this: He had just received a text message from Vincennes basketball coach Everick Sullivan at around 10:30 p.m. informing him that Trailblazers sophomore Devon Dumes had given a verbal commitment to play for the Hoosiers beginning in 2008. The 6-2 guard averaged 16.9 points per game last season on the 28-6 team that reached the NJCAA Tournament for the 27th time.

Dumes, who attended Decatur Central High School and arrived on the Blazers after spending his freshman season at Eastern Michigan, nailed a school-record 109 3-pointers, shooting .399 from beyond the arc and .414 on all field goals. He was also an 83.7% free-throw shooter and dished out 4.0 assists per game.

Hunter also said that Dumes is the first Vincennes player to move on to the Hoosiers since Courtney Witte in 1983. Dumes, who will have two years of eligiblity, joins scholarship players Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard and walk-on Daniel Moore as members of next season’s incoming class.

Trader Joe
04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
41% from the field? Yuck.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Another '08-09 commit!

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1932

Nick Williams, a 6-4 shooting guard from Mobile, Ala., has committed to Indiana.

Otis Hughley, the coach at LaFlore High school, told The Herald-Times today that Williams has faxed his signed letter of intent to the university. They are now awaiting confirmation.

Hughley coached Williams, a physical guard who has played plenty in the paint, through a historic four-year run. Williams played varsity as a freshman, and was a star on a team that went to three state final fours and won a state championship. LaFlore was also at one time ranked the No. 1 team in the country by USA Today.

Hughley credits much of the program’s success to Williams’ dedication.

“You can’t find him, you go to the nearest basketball court,” he says. “That, or the library. There he’ll be. He’s all character, all class.”

Williams, who is ranked by Rivals.com the 34th best shooting guard in the class of 2008, becomes the second player to join the class since Tom Crean took over as head coach of the Hoosiers. The other, JUCO transfer Devan Dumes from Vincennes, gave a verbal over the weekend and plans to sign his letter of intent tomorrow in Indianapolis. They join Matt Roth, a guard out of Illinois, and Tom Pritchard, a forward from Ohio.

Williams originally signed with Marquette, but was let out of his scholarship when Crean left. He was considering several schools, including Arkansas, but chose to stick with Crean.
“Ultimately, he built a relationship with a coach over two years,” Hughley said. “That’s hard to leave behind.”

Coop
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Yet another committment for Crean and the Hoosiers today. This is by far the best signing yet for Crean IMO.

Nick Williams (SG)
Class of 08
6-4 215 lbs
Rivals ranking: 145

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46800&Sport=2

Edit: OM beat me to it...

Trader Joe
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Williams can play.