PDA

View Full Version : My Wacky Trade Idea #1 - The Return of Jalen Rose

Hicks
06-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey, I for one remember talk after the Rose trade that incidentally, our need after that trade was for a Jalen-type scorer.

Well, let's get him back! :D

Indiana trades: C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)
PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.7 minutes)
PF Al Harrington (13.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Indiana receives: PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 36.5 minutes)
SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.2 ppg, +1.5 rpg, and +3.9 apg.

Toronto trades: PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 36.5 minutes)
SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Toronto receives: C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 61 games)
PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 77 games)
PF Al Harrington (13.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 79 games)
Change in team outlook: -10.2 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and -3.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I could live with Jalen at the 2 spot. Marshell would get all the PF minutes Al and Cro got.

The only "loss" is Pollard, and the only way that hurts is when we play the Lakers or Spurs, we don't have him to put on Shaq and Duncan when Jeff sits down.

But I think Jalen would fill out SG need well enough. Scoring is definitely his forte.

:shrug:

Lineup:

Tinsley - Johnson/Fred
Rose - Miller/Fred
Artest - Bender/Fred
O'Neal - Marshall
Foster - Brezec/O'Neal

Kegboy
06-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Interesting concept. I think his exile to the north has properly chastised him, and I love Marshall's game when he's on.

However, I see one, big, huge problem with this, and it's not his attitude, or his penchant for not playing D. It's that when Toronto traded for him, Kevin O'Neill talked about how Rick had raved to him about Jalen's pg skills.

Jalen + pg = Bad. Very, very BAD. :peak:

[edit] Also, how did Fred go from being a potential starter IYO, to third-string, at three positions now less? Hmmm? :p

Hicks
06-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, but there's no room for Jalen to play PG here now. Tinsley is the starter without question, and I'd bet anything Rick would prefer AJ's D at the point over Jalen's.

Not that Jalen sucks at D, but I think AJ's just more the right guy for it.

I think Jalen could be a good SG for us. We all know what he can bring.

Kegboy
06-05-2004, 11:06 PM
I think Jalen could be a good SG for us. We all know what he can bring.

Yes, we all know what he can do, but not necessarily what he will do, on any given night.

I'm reminded of watching Game 4 this afternoon. Now granted, that was Jalen's best game, but I remember thinking, "Man, I sure don't miss him."

But maybe that's just me.

Hicks
06-05-2004, 11:08 PM
I just feel he'd bring more scoring at the 2 position than Reggie does, and his shot has to be respected on the perimeter too, so it's the same difference to me as to what Reggie gives now, plus Jalen can post, is more than willing to take shots, and would probably average 15ppg for us, 5 more than Reggie.

Unclebuck
06-05-2004, 11:18 PM
:unimpressed:

Unclebuck
06-05-2004, 11:19 PM
I could not live with Jalen's defense. It disgusted me for 4 years and I could not accept it once again.

Hicks, I don't think Jalen's offense is as good as Artest's, so I don't even want Jalen's offense.

Jalen is a streak scroer who rarely scored when he was needed to score

TheSauceMaster
06-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes please spare me the Pain of Jalen Rose coming back to Indiana.

Bball
06-06-2004, 12:04 AM
What a great idea.... :hmm: :crazy:

Ultimate Frisbee
06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Not bad...

Ryan
06-06-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't think Toronto is willing to part ways with a potential stud in Marshall. The guy lit it up this season.

Rose is my all time favorite Pacer but no thank you.

Steveman
06-06-2004, 12:57 AM
I didn't like the Jalen trade. I always assumed that Jalen would eventually be Reggie's heir apparent ... then he was gone.

beast23
06-06-2004, 02:33 AM
One problem that our team had during the season and even in the playoffs was that we would quit running our offense. Basically, we woiuld just quit moving the ball. Artest, Al and JO would just hold the ball too long.

That is one of the biggest problems I had with Jalen. Or don't you remember? Even though he was not playing PG, once he got his hands on the ball he would often break away from the play and pursue his own agenda. In other words, he would hog the ball.

Maybe he's over it; maybe he's not.

And as Buck points out, he simply refused to play defense. And the thing was, when the spirit moved him, Jalen was a very good defensive player. I think Jalen didn't want to expend the energy on the defensive end because that would lead to less energy for him to use on the offensive end "trying to be the man".

One reason Al will probably be traded this summer is because he no longer wants to be third fiddle. We don't need to trade him for someone else who will have the same problem.

Jalen? No thanks.

indygeezer
06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Somebody just shoot me please.

The question would then become, SO who breaks off the play and holds the ball more? Jalen or Ron??? JO would never again see the ball, it would fall into the black hole that would develope on the opposite side of the court.
And Jalen's staying back on defense to carp at the refs would be a great addition to JO and Ron wouldn't it?

Here's 35 cents...go buy a bullet and just shoot me.

PacerStud
06-06-2004, 10:11 AM
You know, I had a good day yesterday, slept well last night, enjoyed my 1st cup of java this morning and then I get online and one of the 1st posts I see is about bringing Jalen back.

Remember why we got rid of him ?? He has a big $$ contract and he's just not a big $$ player.

Maybe I'll go back to sleep and this trade idea will have all been a dream.

sweabs
06-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I would NOT want Jalen...at all.

He is a big-time ball hog, and a very streaky shooter who takes a LOT of shots - which won't go over well with Jermaine - or Ron for that matter.

Hicks
06-06-2004, 12:30 PM
So... that's a no then?

:blush:

:laugh:

able
06-06-2004, 12:49 PM
please, never never never never bring back Rose, not even as a ballboy, we all know those balls would NEVER get to the players!

Arcadian
06-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Not to pile on the negative reaction but Jalen was traded because of personality and chemistry issues as much as anything else. I believe those issues would still be there if he returned.

I would love to have Marshall, however. I think he would be a good offensive complement to JO.

indygeezer
06-06-2004, 01:48 PM
To add to my original negative comment.

What was the quote from Bird at the end of the Chamnpionshiop PO's v. the Lakers? SOmething about...let the next guy deal with him? I doubt LB will be trading for Alen anytime within my lifetime. Unless he's a through in with Shaq.

Natston
06-06-2004, 06:13 PM
NOOOOOOO! :irked:

diego
06-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Well obviously i am in the minority here, but i like Rose and think he could be a good fit on this team. He could play both SG and back up PG when needed. He provides an outside shot as well as the ability to post up.

Everyone talks about his defense, I can assure you Reggie is not a great defender at this stage of his career.

Now i am not saying he is the best option but he is not as bad as some here make it out to be. And if Marshall was part of package, would defintiely be worth looking at.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 09:51 AM
He could play both SG and back up PG when needed.

I have seen him play PG this year with the Raps many times - and it is enough to make you want to :cry: or :puke:.

BostonConnection
06-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I only have time for one quick reply on the idea of getting Jalen again... :banghead:

;) :D

DisplacedKnick
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't think Toronto is willing to part ways with a potential stud in Marshall. The guy lit it up this season.

Rose is my all time favorite Pacer but no thank you.

Uh, Marshall's over 30. Less potential stud than getting ready to be put oput to pasture.

Zesty
06-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't mind having him back on the team, but no way in hell do I want him back with his current contract.

Slick Pinkham
06-07-2004, 11:38 AM
The acquisition of Jalen would make me violently ill.

The only acquisition of a semi-decently-talented player that would make me MORE ill would be if we somehow got Antoine Walker.

:puke:

Snickers
06-07-2004, 02:15 PM
I'd take him if he were a FA for the mid-level exception. Other than that, I'm not too interested. :neutral:

Besides, how would he react to not being a primary option on offense?

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 02:16 PM
No thanks...I'll pass.