PDA

View Full Version : Skiles to IU???

indygeezer
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51508/20080319/indiana_university_to_interview_skiles/

Indiana University To Interview Skiles
March 19, 2008 - 11:07 am
Chicago Sun-Times -
A source said Tuesday that Indiana University will contact Scott Skiles when it begins their search for a new head coach.

"If they're smart enough to hire him, they'll win a national championship in one or two years," said Bulls coach Jim Boylan.

"He'll relate well to college players, because he needs everybody on the same page to fall into his system," Bulls center Joakim Noah said. "And he could definitely do that on the college level." [READ]

========================

I like it

Speed
03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Skiles is by far more made for college. He's one of my favorites coaches at any level. Anyone who punches Shaq in the face during practice is okay by me. :)

Anyway, you'd keep guys in state, he'd be a disciplinarian, but you can do that in college.

I'm a big Skiles guy.

avoidingtheclowns
03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
has he ever recruited before? that'd be my main problem with him i think. though, having the NBA coaching pedigree he does, that could help recruiting out. he's not the same type of beloved indiana figure that an alford is but he'd at least have some state cred. i dunno.

travmil
03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I still want IU to interview Kevin Stallings of Vandy, but Skiles would be fine by me too. I agree that he seems more suited to coach the college game than the pro game. I wouldn't worry too much about the recruiting, especially in state.

Speed
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
has he ever recruited before? that'd be my main problem with him i think. though, having the NBA coaching pedigree he does, that could help recruiting out. he's not the same type of beloved indiana figure that an alford is but he'd at least have some state cred. i dunno.

He'd need a good staff, someone who has been there. If they somehow could keep Ray McCallum, it go a long way to keeping some guys they already have and keeping good players in state. I don't know if they'd do it.

Gyron
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Grace will be pissed.....

idioteque
03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Due to the fact that Skiles treats his players like children, he is more suited toward college.

I agree with the recruiting question. Indiana lost it's two best prospects to out of state schools AGAIN this year, we definitely need someone who is able of reaching our players in-state.

A lot of young players today would be turned off by Skiles' disciplinarian style. So much for having any independence when you go off to college. It would be interesting to see how it worked out.

grace
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Grace will be pissed.....

Grace isn't sure how she'd feel about it.

After Bobby Knight was fired I realized I was more a Knight fan than I was an IU fan. If I can learn to root for the Bulls I can certainly learn to root for IU (as soon as Eric Gordon is gone).

However, I've heard from some people that they don't think Skiles would want to put in the work needed to run a successful college program. No, he's never recruited and quite frankly I don't see him being able to suck up to parents and recruits like you have to in order to get players to commit to the school.

If he's going to coach college he should go to Rose Hulman so he can recoup some of his kid's tuition.

Now back to Sun article. Here's a Boylanism for ya.

''I can see Scott coaching anywhere. He's a great coach and would do a great job at your local high school, grade school and he'd be a great coach at Indiana.''

Because if you can coach those hooligans at Twinkle Sneek you can certainly coach at IU. :crazy:

Yes, Kegboy that is too funny. Damn funny.

Tom White
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
How many of the kids coming out of high school and into college would recognize his name?

These kids weren't around during his playing days at Plymouth, Michigan State or in the NBA, so if they have heard of him it is more likely to be from his NBA coaching stints.

Will they take to time to understand what his basketball history is, or think of him only in terms of the very little they know of his short time on a couple of NBA benches?

Even though his name resonates well with many of us, I just don't know if he has any "wow" factor with potential recruits. It would seem to me that recruits would have better recognition of current college coaches that IU might be able to get.

Maybe I'm wrong about all that, and I certainly don't have anything against Skiles. Its just a thought.

grace
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
How many of the kids coming out of high school and into college would recognize his name?

I blame that on class basketball, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Shade
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I should start my own rumors section. (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=37008) :D

Speed
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM

These kids weren't around during his playing days at Plymouth, Michigan State or in the NBA, so if they have heard of him it is more likely to be from his NBA coaching stints.

Will they take to time to understand what his basketball history is, or think of him only in terms of the very little they know of his short time on a couple of NBA benches?

Even though his name resonates well with many of us, I just don't know if he has any "wow" factor with potential recruits. It would seem to me that recruits would have better recognition of current college coaches that IU might be able to get.

Maybe I'm wrong about all that, and I certainly don't have anything against Skiles. Its just a thought.

I think you're right, but I don't think that matters. IU needs someone to have a clean and sucessful program. IU doesn't need a wow factor. I think a Skiles hire with a good experienced recruiting staff would accomplish a couple of things. You'd have a program with some discipline and maybe college kids don't want that, but they probably need that. You'd win. You'd be clean. And a Skiles hire I think is a hire for 10 to 15 years which will bring some consistency and guidance to the once storied program. Just my opinion.

Tom White
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Because if you can coach those hooligans at Twinkle Sneek you can certainly coach at IU. :crazy:

Those hooligans are nothing compared to the thugs at Li'l Dummies Pre-School!

Shade
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
For the record, I'm not sure about Skiles at IU. My #1 choice is Bruce Pearl, if he can be had.

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
That would be an interseting move. Wasn't Skiles one of the guys Knight didn't like when he was at Michigan Stae due to some of his behavior problems or something? I remember him not shaking Skiles's hand his senior season.

Tom White
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I think you're right, but I don't think that matters. IU needs someone to have a clean and sucessful program. IU doesn't need a wow factor. I think a Skiles hire with a good experienced recruiting staff would accomplish a couple of things. You'd have a program with some discipline and maybe college kids don't want that, but they probably need that. You'd win. You'd be clean. And a Skiles hire I think is a hire for 10 to 15 years which will bring some consistency and guidance to the once storied program. Just my opinion.

You've got my vote on needing to return to the days of knowing our program was being run properly and above board.

The selection of the right assistants could provide a bridge between Skiles and recruits that would help while Skiles is creating his own reputation as a college coach.

OakMoses
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
For the record, I'm not sure about Skiles at IU. My #1 choice is Bruce Pearl, if he can be had.

Why would Bruce Pearl go to IU?

I thought people started to figure it out a couple years ago when the best IU could do was Kelvin Sampson. IU is not a premium coaching job anymore. History matters less now than at any other time in history. (I don't really know that I believe the previous sentence, but it sure sounded good.) IU hasn't really done anything great since Davis' first year.

Sure, it's still a major college program in a big time conference at a basketball first school, but I don't think you can just steal great coaches away from other great programs. IU doesn't have that kind of prestige.

For the record, I think Skiles would be a great hire, but he'd need to bring in an assistan who can recruit.

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
This rumer is a month old, by the way.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/rumors/post/Skiles-next-coach-at-Indiana-?urn=ncaab,67163&cp=2

grace
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM

:lolchair:

Oh crap were you serious? Do you honestly think he's going to want to leave Tennessee?

Tom White
03-19-2008, 01:09 PM

I thought people started to figure it out a couple years ago when the best IU could do was Kelvin Sampson. IU is not a premium coaching job anymore. History matters less now than at any other time in history. (I don't really know that I believe the previous sentence, but it sure sounded good.) IU hasn't really done anything great since Davis' first year.

Sure, it's still a major college program in a big time conference at a basketball first school, but I don't think you can just steal great coaches away from other great programs. IU doesn't have that kind of prestige.

Its called money.

IU has been strapped by buying out multiple coaches and ADs contracts. They simply could not offer enough cash.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 01:26 PM
He'd need a good staff, someone who has been there. If they somehow could keep Ray McCallum, it go a long way to keeping some guys they already have and keeping good players in state. I don't know if they'd do it.

McCallum's contract has been renewed through June 2009. The same goes for Dakich. Both will more than likely still be assistant coaches here.
Its highly unlikely McCallum goes anywhere for sometime. His son is a top in state recruit for the class of 2010. He's a four star PG currently playing at Bloomington North and IU has him in the bag as along as Dad is still coaching here.
Here's the link to his profile:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3142772

Shade
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Because he already spent several years building up Southern Indiana as a Division II powerhouse, giving him some ties and familiarity to the state?

And Indiana is still a much more high profile basketball school than Tennessee.

If you pay it, he will come. :D

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, IU's issue has been cash when it comes to coaching hires. Anyone who thinks IU basketball isn't still one of the most coveted jobs in college basketball is kidding themselves. Theres a reason the sports world stood still the Friday Sampson was fired, its because IU basketball is still IU basketball and probably always will be.

I like Bruce Pearl, but as long as we're talking about bringing in big national names how about this one...Billy Donovan. Now it sounds crazy, but you can't tell me he wouldn't at least listen to a pitch. Not with the way he freaked about his team after their SEC tourney loss followed up by him banning them from their practice center and not allowing them to wear Florida gear. IMO he is more available than Pearl is at this point.

Shade
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, IU's issue has been cash when it comes to coaching hires. Anyone who thinks IU basketball isn't still one of the most coveted jobs in college basketball is kidding themselves. Theres a reason the sports world stood still the Friday Sampson was fired, its because IU basketball is still IU basketball and probably always will be.

I like Bruce Pearl, but as long as we're talking about bringing in big national names how about this one...Billy Donovan. Now it sounds crazy, but you can't tell me he wouldn't at least listen to a pitch. Not with the way he freaked about his team after their SEC tourney loss followed up by him banning them from their practice center and not allowing them to wear Florida gear. IMO he is more available than Pearl is at this point.

I like Pearl much more than Donovan. But I probably like Donovan more than Skiles. :chin:

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
:lolchair:

Oh crap were you serious? Do you honestly think he's going to want to leave Tennessee?

At Tennessee Pearl will ALWAYS be third rate. He has to coach on a court that is already named after the head WOMEN's coach. Coaches will leave programs like Tennessee for programs like INdiana. The perfect example of that situation would be Billy Gilepsie leaving A&M last year for the Kentucky job. I watched last years senior 3 pt and dunk contest that happens during the final four last night. Gilepsie was interviewed talking about how he excited he was about his extension at A&M, the great recruiting class they had, and how the future looked very bright for the program. Next thing you know he's packing his bags for a rebuilding Kentucky program without a second thought. I think Pearl would not hesitate to do the same assuming IU has the cash.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I like Pearl much more than Donovan. But I probably like Donovan more than Skiles. :chin:

Why would you like Pearl more than Donovan?

Shade
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
At Tennessee Pearl will ALWAYS be third rate. He has to coach on a court that is already named after the head WOMEN's coach. Coaches will leave programs like Tennessee for programs like INdiana. The perfect example of that situation would be Billy Gilepsie leaving A&M last year for the Kentucky job. I watched last years senior 3 pt and dunk contest that happens during the final four last night. Gilepsie was interviewed talking about how he excited he was about his extension at A&M, the great recruiting class they had, and how the future looked very bright for the program. Next thing you know he's packing his bags for a rebuilding Kentucky program without a second thought. I think Pearl would not hesitate to do the same assuming IU has the cash.

It may also help when Butler knocks Tennessee out in the second round this year. :D

Shade
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Why would you like Pearl more than Donovan?

I prefer Pearl's coaching style, his integrity, and his familiarity with Indiana.

avoidingtheclowns
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM

well donovan wasn't interested in kentucky last year or going pro. i think he's okay at florida. i too prefer pearl to donovan but i don't really think either are likely.

Speed
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
McCallum's contract has been renewed through June 2009. The same goes for Dakich. Both will more than likely still be assistant coaches here.
Its highly unlikely McCallum goes anywhere for sometime. His son is a top in state recruit for the class of 2010. He's a four star PG currently playing at Bloomington North and IU has him in the bag as along as Dad is still coaching here.
Here's the link to his profile:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3142772

Great Info!! Thanks!

Since86
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
There is no way Pearl is going to leave Tenn. for IU, sorry but it's a wet dream.

Why would he leave a school that he's had ranked in the top 5 all year? To get more money you say. I think the threat of leaving for somewhere else would be enough incentive for them to pony up.

You say it's a knock on him to be playing on a court for the WOMEN'S coach. Well that coach just happens to be Pat Summit, and she holds a lot of well earned respect in the coaching community no matter that she coaches women. When you paint your body and stand in the first row of the student section giving them support, and Summit sings Rocky Top at one of your games to support you, I doubt much rivalary and ill feelings are being dealt between the two.

The Tenn. program is in much better shape already than IU's, he would actually be taking a step down which doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: I would like to see Tom Crean BTW.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
It's not about a rivalry between Pearl and Summit. Its about the fact that Pearl will always be the third biggest program at Tennessee. Football is king and women's basketball is queen, and men's basketball could maybe one day hope to be the court jester.
If Pearl truely wanted to build his own legacy then IU makes a lot of sense for him. If he doesn't feel the need to do that then I don't want him here anyways.

As far as Tennessee being in better shape than IU, I'd counter that with the very same Billy G story I already used.

OakMoses
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM

That's a suggestion that makes sense. I think Crean is a guy who's maxed out what he can do at Marquette, but could do more with a program like IU. Stallings from Vanderbilt is another good suggestion.

avoidingtheclowns
03-19-2008, 02:11 PM

definitely someone i'd be interested in

Since86
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
It's not about a rivalry between Pearl and Summit. Its about the fact that Pearl will always be the third biggest program at Tennessee. Football is king and women's basketball is queen, and men's basketball could maybe one day hope to be the court jester.
If Pearl truely wanted to build his own legacy then IU makes a lot of sense for him. If he doesn't feel the need to do that then I don't want him here anyways.

As far as Tennessee being in better shape than IU, I'd counter that with the very same Billy G story I already used.

A team that has a legit shot at winning the national title might one day hope to be the court jester?

I think all coaches would want that scenerio. A great program, who wins like there's no tomorrow, that doesn't have to deal with the magnifying glass that comes with the elite programs.

You could sit back and not feel one once of outside pressure while you consistantly win the SEC, win 25 games a year, compete for a national title, and still be the back page news.:rolleyes:

Why would you want to go to a worse off school, who has millions of tons of pressure on you to get to the exact same spot you're already in?

Unless you can win multiple titles in a short span the ultimate goal is to be in the running year in and year out. Pearl has accomplished that, atleast for the past few years. Why would he want to jump off the gravy train to go to a ship wreck?

IU is losing it's top two players, and the recruiting for next year is going to be harder and harder everyday that goes by.

Pearl is living the luxury life at Tenn., there's no other way to spin it.

Mr. Sobchak
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
In an interview Pearl called IU a "dream job" - I'll have to find the link.

Edit: He actually said it on ESPN radio.

Jonathan
03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Pearl at IU, Nice Try

Pearl Snitched on Illionois in 1989 for recruiting violations.

grace
03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
In an interview Pearl called IU a "dream job" - I'll have to find the link.

Edit: He actually said it on ESPN radio.

People change their minds about dream jobs all the time. Just ask Urban Meyer and Les Miles.

I'm wondering what the reason is that no one has mentioned Steve Alford as a possible candidate. To me he makes more sense than Scott Skiles.

Shade
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Pearl at IU, Nice Try

...so?

If anything, that should make IU want him MORE, to prove they run a clean program.

Shade
03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
People change their minds about dream jobs all the time. Just ask Urban Meyer and Les Miles.

I'm wondering what the reason is that no one has mentioned Steve Alford as a possible candidate. To me he makes more sense than Scott Skiles.

A) Alford already said he's staying put at New Mexico;
2) IU doesn't want Alford. If they did, they would have pried him away earlier.

Since86
03-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Because he couldn't win at Iowa, and then has went down in ranks to New Mexico (not sure if it's State or not)?

I don't think any underachieving coach will have a shot at IU.

Rajah Brown
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Stallings is a NO F'ING WAY !!! PUkesters need not apply.

I can take or leave Pearl. But I could care less what he did
almost 20 yrs ago when he was young turk.

avoidingtheclowns
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Pearl at IU, Nice Try

maybe i'm missing something but why is this a reason not to hire the guy? especially given the recruiting issues that led to kelvin's dismissal.

GrangerRanger
03-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Bennet from washington.

I like this move though.

Unclebuck
03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
He is perfect for college - except he probably won't like the B.S. of college recruiting and having to put on a good face

Rajah Brown
03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
UB-

Yup. That 'Skiles scowl' might scare Mama when it comes time for
in-home visits. He doesn't strike me as a guy who paints a smile
on very well.

BPump33
03-19-2008, 03:37 PM

I have heard form a pretty reliable source (at the Big Ten tourney) that Alford was asked about the IU job and he said it would take a lot more money than he's making now to get him to come here and coach under the enormous amount of pressure that IU coaches have on them.

The source is a golfing buddy of an NCAA official and apparently the offical was doing a New Mexico game and asked Alford about the IU job.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
A team that has a legit shot at winning the national title might one day hope to be the court jester?

I think all coaches would want that scenerio. A great program, who wins like there's no tomorrow, that doesn't have to deal with the magnifying glass that comes with the elite programs.

You could sit back and not feel one once of outside pressure while you consistantly win the SEC, win 25 games a year, compete for a national title, and still be the back page news.:rolleyes:

Why would you want to go to a worse off school, who has millions of tons of pressure on you to get to the exact same spot you're already in?

Unless you can win multiple titles in a short span the ultimate goal is to be in the running year in and year out. Pearl has accomplished that, atleast for the past few years. Why would he want to jump off the gravy train to go to a ship wreck?

IU is losing it's top two players, and the recruiting for next year is going to be harder and harder everyday that goes by.

Pearl is living the luxury life at Tenn., there's no other way to spin it.

If Pearl came here, I believe Ebanks and Holloway would re-sign.

idioteque
03-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Alford should not even be considered for the IU job. He couldn't even win at Iowa, which is a lesser program than IU in the same conference.

If he is even considered for the job, it shows the sad amount of homerism that permeates a lot of the minds of IU fans.

indygeezer
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
With the looneys that are incharge of hiring currently why would anyone want to come to IU? I mean the board of regents on down...it almost sounds like some weird **** goes on down there.

Did anybody see Knight during the Sunday night tourney program? Vitale got on a rant about how IU screwed Knight and how they should make amends by re-hiring Bob to coach the only job he was ever really meant to have. Bobby sat there and took it all in but at times I thought he might want to strangle Vitale. He made no comment about the rant and just went back to talking about the tourney.

jeffg-body
03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
The whole Vitale rant did have me laughing pretty well. The thought of Knight, Vitale and Digger Phelps on the same bench could be scary.

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, that would be a lot of L's on the ledger.

grace
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think any underachieving coach will have a shot at IU.

They gave Dakich a chance.

grace
03-19-2008, 04:58 PM
maybe i'm missing something but why is this a reason not to hire the guy?

Well the fact that he taped a phone conversation (even if it was legal) gives me the willies.

ABADays
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
It's going to be difficult to know what kind of coach IU can get. At least right now. The NCAA hearing is still sitting on them. Nobody is even going to talk until that situation is cleared up. As far as some of the names that have come up - I just don't see it. I think IU would be only leverage for them. Why has Matta dropped off everyone's radar?

I wouldn't mind Alford and I wouldn't mind Skiles.

jmoney2584
03-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Scott Skiles is a good X's and O's guy, but I doubt his recruiting skills. We really need a dream coach for the IU job. Just because you are the most prolific 3pt shooter in NBA JAM history does not qualify you for the IU job.

BOOM-shakalaka!

gph
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I still want IU to interview Kevin Stallings of Vandy, but Skiles would be fine by me too. I agree that he seems more suited to coach the college game than the pro game. I wouldn't worry too much about the recruiting, especially in state.

Funnily enough, when i lived in Nashville two years ago, before Byars was eligible, talk radio in Nashville was flooded with people calling for his head. He acknowledged on air that if he didn't make a run he expected to be let go at one point early in that season.

Swingman
03-19-2008, 10:32 PM
It's going to be difficult to know what kind of coach IU can get. At least right now. The NCAA hearing is still sitting on them. Nobody is even going to talk until that situation is cleared up. As far as some of the names that have come up - I just don't see it. I think IU would be only leverage for them. Why has Matta dropped off everyone's radar?

I wouldn't mind Alford and I wouldn't mind Skiles.

Why would the NCAA hearing have much affect on who IU can get?

Post season ban is highly unlikely so the punishment won't be severe enough to scare off coaches. Even if IU does get hit hard by the NCAA, it would give a new coach more time to build up the program while expectations are lowered a small amount.

Plus, if a coach wants the IU job, then he'd take it now while it's available. Otherwise they may never get another shot. Hopefully IU doesn't continue to look for new coaches ever 2-4 years but a coach has to assume this would be his only chance to come to IU. The head coaching position at IU is still a prestigious job.

Shack80
03-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Alford should not even be considered for the IU job. He couldn't even win at Iowa, which is a lesser program than IU in the same conference.
There is a break in logic there. Not that I am sold on Alford as a coach. I just think there is some major fallacy in the logic that not doing well in a lesser program in the same tough conference as a better program means anything.

Tom White
03-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Think about that statement for just a second.

Tom White
03-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Pearl at IU, Nice Try

So you would prefer a coach who knew someone was cheating, yet kept quiet about it?

That would be giving a silent endorsement to cheating.

Rajah Brown
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
What Pearl did or didn't do 20 yrs ago is of no relevance. But from
what I recall back then, word was that BOTH Iowa and Illinois
were offering Deon Thomas 'inducements' to commit. Pearl got
pissed when ILL raised the anti beyond where IA was willing to
go, so he taped the conversation w/ Thomas and they turned
ILL in.

Hey, all is fair in love and war....

Since86
03-20-2008, 12:54 PM
They gave Dakich a chance.

Not willingly.

Who were they gonna get to coach the team on that short of notice? I wanted Ray McCallum, but he was with him at Oklahoma and came with him to IU. So whether or not he did anything wrong or not is kind of a moot point because he's guilty by association.

Dakich is a former IU player/alum who hasn't been around Sampson long enough to think he's part of the problem.

From a small list of candidates, he was the obvious choice. Not the best, but obvious.

Dakich coached at Bowling Green for 10years, and never once got into the NCAA tourney. He was laughed out of there for his overtime fiasco that literally cost his team a win.

ABADays
03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Why would the NCAA hearing have much affect on who IU can get?

Post season ban is highly unlikely so the punishment won't be severe enough to scare off coaches. Even if IU does get hit hard by the NCAA, it would give a new coach more time to build up the program while expectations are lowered a small amount.

Plus, if a coach wants the IU job, then he'd take it now while it's available. Otherwise they may never get another shot. Hopefully IU doesn't continue to look for new coaches ever 2-4 years but a coach has to assume this would be his only chance to come to IU. The head coaching position at IU is still a prestigious job.

My thoughts were directed at all the high profile names that have been thrown out. I disagree to a certain extent with your post. Any high profile coach is going to want to know with nearly 100% certainty what is going to be dealing with.

Swingman
03-21-2008, 12:52 AM
My thoughts were directed at all the high profile names that have been thrown out. I disagree to a certain extent with your post. Any high profile coach is going to want to know with nearly 100% certainty what is going to be dealing with.

It depends more on whether or not the high profile coach is interested in the IU job. If he is, then NCAA sanctions isn't going to scare him off because the opportunity might not come around again. If he isn't, then it's a moot point as he won't be coming either way.

If IU's willing to pay, then they can get a high profile coach without a problem.

The chance of a postseason ban is remote and anything worse than that even more so. Thus, the worry of future NCAA sanctions/punishment is not going to affect IU's coaching search one bit.

Tom White
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Even if the NCAA decided to ban IU from the postseason for a year (unlikely, in my mind), any coach worth his salt is going to be thinking past that. One year is not going to deter a coach hoping to hold that job for ten or fifteen years.

Trader Joe
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Even if the NCAA decided to ban IU from the postseason for a year (unlikely, in my mind), any coach worth his salt is going to be thinking past that. One year is not going to deter a coach hoping to hold that job for ten or fifteen years.

Wasn't Ohio State still on its postseason ban Matta's first year?

Swingman
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Wasn't Ohio State still on its postseason ban Matta's first year?

I think it was under investigation when Matta joined. OSU gave themselves a post-season ban the year before Oden and Conley arrived to escape getting it during Oden's one year in college.

Oden and Conley had clauses in their LOI stating they could leave if OSU got hit worse when the NCAA made their decision later in the year.

Basically OSU banned themselves Matta's first year to make sure it didn't effect Oden and Conley. Smart on OSU's part given that they were not supposed to be very good (ended up being better than anticipated).

heywoode
03-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Just saw this thread, and I'm posting fresh off the Arkansas beatdown.

HIRE SKILES NOW.

I will go on record as promising that if IU can get Skiles to coach for them, I will drive from Huntington to Bloomington for at least two games a year just to support a program that makes that kind of commitment to their team. After IU threw the current team under the bus, they need to do something drastic to wipe that egg off their face.

Do it, just DO IT. (Now if he would AGREE to coach there....)

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Apparently, Andy Katz was on ESPN today saying we already have it down to two candidates and they both have final four resumes.

Take it with a grain of salt. Katz has been known to jump to conclusions, but he does have a lot of connections.

Tom White
03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
After IU threw the current team under the bus, they need to do something drastic to wipe that egg off their face.

IU threw the team under the bus?

Appears to me that Sampsom is the one that did the tossing.

Tom White
03-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Apparently, Andy Katz was on ESPN today saying we already have it down to two candidates and they both have final four resumes.

Take it with a grain of salt. Katz has been known to jump to conclusions, but he does have a lot of connections.

That would certainly eliminate a number of the names that have been brought up as potential coaches.

D-BONE
03-22-2008, 09:59 AM
IU threw the team under the bus?

Appears to me that Sampsom is the one that did the tossing.

That comment was echoed by Nantz and Packer last night for IU's decision to announce the formation of the search committee for Sampson's replacement prior to the team playing in the NCAA.

While that timing may be questionable, I completely agree with you that the biggest "tosser" in this is Sampson. And I think the CBS team should have mentioned this in the discussion of the above topic.

D-BONE
03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
That would certainly eliminate a number of the names that have been brought up as potential coaches.

Larry Brown?

indygeezer
03-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Larry Brown?

:-o

Wow, I hadn't even thought of him. That almost sounds possible.

Shade
03-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Mike Davis and Jim Larranaga? :devil:

Swingman
03-22-2008, 12:48 PM
:-o

Wow, I hadn't even thought of him. That almost sounds possible.

If Larry Brown became the IU coach, then I'd have to question whether or not I could remain an IU fan. Please say no to Mr Brown.

Shade
03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
If Larry Brown became the IU coach, then I'd have to question whether or not I could remain an IU fan. Please say no to Mr Brown.

Hasn't LB ripped off enough organizations already?

And hasn't IU been ripped off by enough coaches already?

indygeezer
03-22-2008, 01:36 PM
An Interim,NAME, coach that coud get the program back on track until a Younger man came along. Brown would only be there 3-5 years anyway.

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
We need someone right now who is in it for the long haul. That means a minimum of ten years assuming they are successful. A big hell no to Larry Brown.

grace
03-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Larry Brown. Bad, bad, bad idea. Maybe 10 years ago it would have been alright but not now.

Kegboy
03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Larry Brown. Great, great, great idea.

Fixed.

:devil:

grace
03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Fixed.

:devil:

I don't know what worse than evil is, but that's you you :censored:

:maniac:

avoidingtheclowns
03-22-2008, 10:14 PM
i'd bet jayredd's left (and only) nut that tom crean is one of those katz-reported 'final four experience' finalists.

unclebuck you interested in that wager?

Trader Joe
03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I doubt its Crean. Though I could probably get behind him as a hire.

I think one is almost certainly Barnes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the other one was Matta.

Also for reference, Sampson was hired on March 29th. A little over a week after Oklahoma lost in the tourney and five or so days before the national championship.

larry
03-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Pearl coached USI where I lived & those teams were ill.
UE is Division I, but USI could have kicked that *** 6 years in a row.
On a side note, USI is getting huge now & asking to be Division I starting 2010.
Pearl would be just about perfect, except he has allot of antics similar to my favorite coach ever.
Coach Knight is the king!!
Anybody catch the Real Sports on HBO featuring Pearl this week?
Also, I seen him at casino here at 4am during the season.
Not judging him because I was hammered.
Haahaha

larry
03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Skiles, I'm not sold on, but would accept.
Also, in that HBO show Pearl said he expects IU to offer him the job, but he is happy where he is.
Of course he can't say that he is going to take it if they come knocking.
Cheers.

Big Smooth
03-23-2008, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't mind Larry Brown as long as he has a Roy Williams on his staff that could take over when Larry gets bored in 3-4 years. I mean Larry didn't exactly leave Kansas out of luck when he left there in 1988. :D

I do think Skiles could be an ideal fit as a college head coach IF he is willing to do all the hard work it takes...which I've heard some people question so I'm not sure.

Shade
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Pearl coached USI where I lived & those teams were ill.
UE is Division I, but USI could have kicked that *** 6 years in a row.
On a side note, USI is getting huge now & asking to be Division I starting 2010.
Pearl would be just about perfect, except he has allot of antics similar to my favorite coach ever.
Coach Knight is the king!!
Anybody catch the Real Sports on HBO featuring Pearl this week?
Also, I seen him at casino here at 4am during the season.
Not judging him because I was hammered.
Haahaha

That's my only real concern about Pearl, but I have yet to see anything from him that's even on par with RMK's Top 20 most infamous antics.

grace
03-23-2008, 05:26 PM
For what it's worth my dad seems to think Dakich should be IU's athletic director.

Coop
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
For what it's worth my dad seems to think Dakich should be IU's athletic director.

That's an interesting opinion and something I hadn't even thought of. I wonder how that would work out. It couldn't be much worse than Greenspan I would imagine.

Trader Joe
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM

I could deal with that.

Slick Pinkham
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I really like Tony Bennett of Washington State.

Coaches tough as nails defense, and if he had the types of players he could recruit at Indiana, his offense would not be so slow.

Washington State has players that basically were not recruited by most D-1 schools.

The only concern is that he has only been there awhile. Is he mature enough to handle a boatload of expectations and pressure at Indiana?

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, I am told that an NCAA bylaw is that every head coach must hold a college degree.

Skiles never graduated from MSU, never finished a degree anywhere, and so he is legally unable to be named a head coach for Indiana or any other member institution of the NCAA.