PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best chance?

James Bond
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Of being the first 16 seed to beat a 1 seed?

I know that it is a one in a million shot, but if any team could do it this year, could it be?

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
It will never happen.

DisplacedKnick
03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh, it'll happen someday.

If I was looking for a team to beat a 1 seed I'd look for a team with a lot of shooters. I'd also want a team that contests everything. A tight man-to-man defensive philosophy. Then it has to be a night when they're just blazing from 3 and the 1 seed isn't at their best.

You get a team full of shooters, even though they're outmatched physically and they'd have a puncher's chance.

I doubt if this is the year to bet on it - there are years where you have 2 1's and have to pick from 4 or 5 2's to get them - this year they had about 6 1's. But eventually parity will make it happen - or a team will be seeded 16 that gets an injured player back.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
DK, the type of team you just described will never be a 16 seed. If they were that good they wouldn't be a 16 seed. 16 seeds are 16 seeds for a reason.

DisplacedKnick
03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
DK, the type of team you just described will never be a 16 seed. If they were that good they wouldn't be a 16 seed. 16 seeds are 16 seeds for a reason.

Why? You think teams are seeded by 3-pt shooting percentage?

The top 3-pt shooting team in the country is New Mexico. They aren't in the tournament. The 2nd best is IUPUI. They aren't in the tournament. The 3rd is Cornell and they're a 15 seed. Even to win a wimpy conf teams have to play well. and sometimes that includes defense and shooting.

travmil
03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Well you basically just described every 6-9th seeded mid major in the country.

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I agree with what DK is saying. Also, if the 4th #1 loses a key player early in the game it could swing the momentum. It would take the perfect mixture of events, but it will probably happen one day.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Cornell is a 14.

I just don't think you'll see a 16 seed that not only can shoot, but play that kind of pressure defense. Thats just my opinion of course.

DisplacedKnick
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Cornell is a 14.

I just don't think you'll see a 16 seed that not only can shoot, but play that kind of pressure defense. Thats just my opinion of course.

You mean like Penn or Princeton? Or Albany a couple of years ago which WAS that team for all but the last 7 minutes of the game.

Obviously they can't go toe-to-toe with a 1 seed - it has to be the perfect storm plus a year with a vulnerable number 1 seed - maybe a team that doesn't shoot FT's very well and doesn't have great guard play. One of these days it'll happen. This year it's more unlikely than usual because there aren't any real weak sisters and while Memphis doesn't shoot FT's well they play very uptempo - they make it a game of athletes which makes it next to impossible for a less talented team to win.

Though I bet the Penn/Princeton shoot lights-out and run a very slow offense style would have made them sweat.

Trader Joe
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
We'll see. The only way it happens is if a one seed has two starters get hurt like the day before the game and even then it would be very, very close.

EDIT:
More than likely a one seed will now lose to a 16 seed in this tourney. Sorry folks.

Trader Joe
03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
The 16 seeds have been real competitive so far this tourney. :lol:

Kraft
03-21-2008, 02:33 AM
One day, Wisconsin will get a No. 1. And then we'll see.

JayRedd
03-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I know that it is a one in a million shot, but if any team could do it this year, could it be?

PTSi6Zd0vgg