PDA

View Full Version : OT: DVD-RW in Windows XP?

Anthem
06-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Here's a weird one, guys.

I bought a new DVD drive, stuck it in a bare box, put my WinXP cd in the DVD drive, turned the computer on, and installed Windows.

Once Windows started, however, it couldn't find the DVD drive it had been installed from!

Any tips?

BillS
06-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Basically, it sounds like the drive itself doesn't have the correct windows drivers for its full functionality, so once the drivers were installed and XP restarted, XP lost the entire drive.

Go to settings --> control panel --> system --> hardware --> device manager and look for anything with an "!" next to it (you'll probably see it in DVD/CD ROM DRIVES)

If a disk came with the DVD-RW then you may need to use it to upgrade the drivers.

The reason it worked to install Windows is that the drive was recognized as a standard CD-ROM by the system hardware, and once it booted from there it remained accessible until Windows rebooted.

Hoop
06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Windows automatically installs CD/DVD drives, no drivers needed to be installed separately. I would look in the BIOS and see if something is turned off. Set the jumpers on the drive for cable select and in BIOS and make sure your HD's are on a different IDE channel than the CD/DVD drives. Also look in the Device Manager and delete the drives that show up under DVD/CD-ROM Drives and restart Windows.

Aw Heck
06-05-2004, 08:23 PM
I've had some trouble with this myself. Try putting a DVD in the drive and restart the computer. That works sometimes for me.

Bball
06-05-2004, 09:37 PM
I love my MAC!

;)

Macs are for liberals! :P

;)

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
If you don't see it in the device manager , then it's a bio's problem. I had this happen 1 time when I installed xp and I upgraded my bios and tah dah ..there it was :)

Bball
06-06-2004, 12:24 AM
I love my MAC!

;)

Macs are for liberals! :P

;)

-Bball

Leave it to a servative to bring politics into a computer discussion on a basketball sites. :thumbsdown: :rolleyes:

It was a joke based on Zep's recent posting(s) in the Politics forum. That's why I put the 'winky' guy there.... and the 'rasberry' guy too.

Some people are too serious.....

As for the DVD problem:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm#problems
See #8

There is info and a link to a patch. Maybe that'll do it..
There is also a link to the MS Knowledge Base and some issues...

-Bball