PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter could also be another possibility

Cactus Jax
06-05-2004, 12:54 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/06/05/486583.html

Nor will this news be well-received by Raptors' marquee player Vince Carter, who had been pushing for Erving. It's not out of the question now that Carter may ask for a trade.

Although it makes me kind of :puke: at the idea, I'm just throwing out all possibilities, plus he would probably be cheap to get and he'd put fans in the seats.

Interesting thoughts indeed.

sweabs
06-05-2004, 01:02 PM
:puke: = My thoughts exactly.

People of Toronto have lost so much respect for the guy - he is too soft...way too soft.

MSA2CF
06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
My reaction if the Pacers were to trade for Vince "I'm so soft" Carter:

:o :mad: :shout: :scream: :censor: :banghead: :puke: :dead:

Cactus Jax
06-05-2004, 01:11 PM
:puke: = My thoughts exactly.

People of Toronto have lost so much respect for the guy - he is too soft...way too soft.

Yet he still gets more votes than anyone for the all-star game. :confused: :unimpressed: :neutral:

Like I said, I wasn't too thrilled, but if it's pretty much Al Harrington and Pollard or something, you have to do it in my opinion. With Artest and O'Neal on the floor, the guy could score 20 points a game in his sleep shooting outside jumpers, and the dunk every week would bring the fans to the arena.

38% from 3 point range is pretty good, and that's with him being the main focus.

The main reason this doesn't happen though is the almost 100% possibility of Kevin O'Neill being an assistant.

Anthem
06-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Vince Carter? Please shoot me now.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-05-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd take Vince if the price were right....

Anthem
06-05-2004, 01:30 PM
I'd take Vince if the price were right....

Fine. I'd give Croshere and Pollard for Vince.

That would be the right price. Anything above that and I stick with my previous statement.

Unclebuck
06-05-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't want Vince.

Now if he would be willing to be a 6th man, play 25-30 minutes a game. Maybe

But that is unrealistic

sweabs
06-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Yet he still gets more votes than anyone for the all-star game.

It's called little kids from all over NORTH AMERICA AND THE WORLD (not just Canada - I said people of Toronto have lost a lot of respect) who have not seem him play much - and their only memories of him are from the Slam Dunk Contest when he was good.

zxc
06-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Dunno why people would be so against Vince Carter. What's so wrong with him? Soft because he doesn't drive to the basket as much is the knock on him? Don't think that would be as much of a problem here especially if we could get him while keeping JO and Ron. Plus he is a pretty good outside shooter, decent passer, still relatively young and all that. Guess the injury problems 2 years ago would be my only concern but not a big one. I'd rather have him then alot of the options I see thrown out there, but doubt we could get him for anything like Al really.

Snickers
06-05-2004, 03:04 PM
He's a guard who can create his own shot [although in recent years that "shot" of his has been a crap fadeaway three early in the shot clock].

Sure, he's a "superstar," in terms of popularity and endorsements, but as far as his game goes, I wouldn't object to having him, on the condition that he's willing to sacrifice his ego for the sake of the team and play within the offense.

We sure would become a pretty popular team pretty quick. And three all-stars sounds kinda nice. :D

KINGSFREAK!!!
06-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Carter is possibly the most overrated player ever. He's got nothing. He can jump sometimes, and defend here and there. Wow.

He is too much of a liablity, and he already hit his peak.

sweabs
06-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Carter is possibly the most overrated player ever. He's got nothing. He can jump sometimes, and defend here and there. Wow.

He is too much of a liablity, and he already hit his peak.

Yeah - he is pretty overrated.
One of the only games he showed up to play last year was during the ONLY nationally televised game the Raptors had...against Cleveland. And after the game he went on to say how he had to "Show the rest of the world" his skills, and didn't want to dissapoint :rolleyes: :unimpressed: . Meanwhile, the rest of Canada knows the real Vince (pouting, whining, fall down and scare the crowd after any nudge, sit out 2 weeks for a sprained ankle Vince).

Mourning
06-06-2004, 03:45 PM
TGhe guy can absolutely shoot the 3, remember the game in the play offs a few years ago when he was racing with Allen and Iverson who could hit I think the most consecutive 3s?

I wouldnt mind at all having him here, but Im afraid the price would be Ron and I think that is ok markettingwise, but I dont like a Ron for Vince swap for the team and where we want to go.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

sweabs
06-07-2004, 01:24 PM
As some of you may already know, the Raptors just announced Rob Babcock as their new GM today.

I just finished watching the press conference and by the sounds of things, Vince is still going to be "the man" in Toronto for years to come.

sweabs
06-08-2004, 10:09 AM
I just found this article: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/06/08/489969.html

Is a divorce in the works?
ROB BABCOCK SAYS VINCE CARTER ISN'T ON THE MARKET, BUT HE MAY WANT OUT
By BILL HARRIS, TORONTO SUN
June 8, 2004

IT'S THE same question, over and over again. In speaking with various people during the past few days -- media members, NBA employees, team officials -- one query repeatedly has been posed to yours truly:

"So, is Vince going to demand a trade?"

Well, maybe.

This isn't just about the snubbing of Carter's preferred general manager candidate, Julius (Dr. J) Erving. But Erving's peripheral candidacy has become a lightning rod for the disconnection between Carter and the Raptors.

Some frustrated Raptors fans will react with incredulity. "Oh, to hell with Vince," they'll say. "He's just a big suck. And what has he done for us lately?"

We understand those emotional responses. But while fans are free to react as explosively as they like, there is no room for emotion among the principals in this situation.

STRUGGLING TEAM

Both the Raptors hierarchy and the Carter camp need to have clear, sober, rational minds as they determine whether this marriage between a struggling NBA team and its best player is going to continue.

New Raptors GM Rob Babcock, who was unveiled yesterday in Toronto, said that while no player in the NBA is untradeable, he currently has no intention of trading Carter.

Be that as it may, Babcock was presented with a point-blank scenario: What if Carter contacts you, says he hopes you understand it's nothing personal, but he wants to be traded. How would Babcock respond?

"Well, Vince is just not going to flat believe everything I say," Babcock said in a telephone interview. "But I would hope he would give me the opportunity to show him what my abilities are. I would hope he would be open-minded and not just shut it off.

"I would ask Vince to take a look at who we hire as a coach, what we're going to demand of our players, what kind or organization we'll have. I am not going to surround myself with friends and yes-men. Hopefully he'll see we're not just blowing smoke, that we're going to put it into action."

The thing is, a lot of water has passed under the bridge between Carter and the Raptors, water that really has nothing to do with Babcock or his hopes for the future.

Carter has heard those kinds of earnest pledges before. Last summer, coach Kevin O'Neill was championed as a man of action, too, and we all know how that turned out.

Then came the Erving fiasco of the past month. Rightly or wrongly, Carter feels he was led down the garden path when the Raptors paused to interview Erving twice. Carter has been left with the impression that the Raptors never had any intention of seriously considering Erving, and that the interviews amounted to throwing Carter a bone, patting him on the head and hoping he would quit barking.

Carter has a lot on going on in his life right now. He's getting married in three weeks. But you can bet he's thinking very hard about whether he and the Raptors still are swimming in the same direction.

One certainty is that Carter's love for Toronto is 100% genuine. In fact, if Carter didn't like the city and its fans so much, he might have demanded a trade three months ago, or six months ago, or a year ago. His issues are with the team.

In many ways the Raptors are as frustrated with Carter as he is with them. Still, if Carter asks for a trade, undoubtedly the club and its supporters will react with hurt feelings.

But it's kind of like getting dumped by your wife. You may be upset at the time, but looking back years later, you might be able to admit that the relationship had stalled and she just had the fortitude to broach the subject first.

The marriage between Carter and the Raptors has grown rocky. Communication and trust have broken down.

Remember, it takes two sides to make a romance work, but only one to break it up. Carter and the Raptors have to gaze into each other's eyes and ask themselves: Is this marriage worth saving?

ChicagoJ
06-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Hmmm... I thought their new GM was supposed to be DW? I know I read that on 'Piston's Digest' back in the Spring. :devil:

MagicRat
06-08-2004, 10:28 AM
"He's just a big suck."

Do you really say that in Canada? I like it, eh......

PacerStud
06-08-2004, 10:53 AM
......... pretty good outside shooter, decent passer, still relatively young and all that........

No argument with this, BUT you fail to mention defense.

Don't bother, Carter doesn't play it. No place for him in a system like ours. On to the next trade idea.

indygeezer
06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah I can see RC changing his entire approach to basketball to accomodate Vincanity.

LAPacer
06-08-2004, 11:15 AM
If the price were write I'd take Carter in a heartbeat. Harrington, Pollard, and 1st round pick would be about as much as I'd like to give up. I know Carter's game has declined, but at least he has the game. He took the Raps deep in the playoffs a few years ago. I think a change in atmosphere would change his game back to the old VC. As long as he passes his physical and it doesn't seem like he has any permanent or reoccurring injury, Take him. If he doesn't play D, bench him, like Carlisle did to Harrington

sweabs
06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
"He's just a big suck."

Do you really say that in Canada? I like it, eh......

Hahaha - I guess that writer says it.
We don't want to offend anyone :blush:

Will Galen
06-13-2004, 08:00 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Toronto/2004/06/11/495286.html

This from Toronto

MISTAKE

This is Year 7 for Vince Carter if he makes it to the fall as a Raptor. And the team has won just one playoff series during that time. The best ball he played was four seasons ago. The best the team ever played was the playoff run it made without him three seasons back.

In the meantime, the Raptors have made the mistake of treating Carter, contractually and otherwise, as though he is one of the greats in basketball history. He is not a bad person, just not necessarily a strong one. And ownership, almost from the beginning, has worshipped this idol rather than worked with him.

indygeezer
06-13-2004, 08:08 AM
I like the phrase, "He's jsut a big suck". NO FREAKING WAY!

sweabs
06-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Yup - there has been a lot of talk here lately of Vince requesting to be traded.

Shade
06-13-2004, 12:12 PM
If we can get him for Al and filler, I'm all for it. He may be highly overrated, but he fits a serious need and for Al and filler you have to look at it seriously.