PDA

View Full Version : Woo! Freddie Jones was asked a 2nd time to be in the All-Star Dunk Contest-- th

Hicks
01-29-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm so looking foward to that!

:dance:

Jones in slam dunk contest

Given the leaping ability Fred Jones showed in Wednesday's game, it's no wonder the NBA made a second request that he compete in the slam dunk competition over All-Star Weekend.

After turning down an initial invitation to participate, Jones caved in to peer pressure.

"I told him I'd be his hype-man and get him fired up," Jermaine O'Neal said.

"We'll just have to see what happens," Jones said. "It could turn out to be pretty fun."

He showed off his elevation against the Suns, banging his head on the backboard while blocking Leandro Barbosa's fast-break layup in the second quarter.

Jones wants to earn a reputation for being more than just a great leaper. He took steps in that direction against the Suns. He finished with 12 points, six rebounds, four steals, three assists and that one gravity-defying block.

"That's how I have to play every night," he said. "I'm learning my role day by day. I just have to continue to come in and work hard and continue to improve."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/115804-9907-039.html

Hicks
01-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Guess this only excites me.

Unclebuck
01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
I just remember Bender's performance from a few years ago.

Roy Munson
01-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh, I agree completely (about it being exciting). I'm wondering what he will do in the creativity department to make himself stand out.

I remember when he was in the NCAA dunk-contest (finished 3rd, I think). The reason he lost, IMO, was that he didn't "stunt" it up enough. The guy who won, I think, jumped over a chair, or something. Freddie has to come up with some gimic like that to set himself apart.

If I were him, I'd try to do something that would accentuate his leaping ability. Maybe have JO throw him a real high lob, or a high lob in the middle of the key, that Freddy would really have to get up high for, then throw it down. He needs to do something that will make people say "Wow, I've never seen that before". He is certainly capable of that, because he does it all the time, but I don't know if he can do it in a scripted environment.

It wlll be fun to watch.

ChicagoJ
01-29-2004, 11:18 AM
We haven't really had anybody do well at this since Terrence Stansberry. :neutral:

Roy Munson
01-29-2004, 11:23 AM
I just remember Bender's performance from a few years ago.

Tall players are at an inherent disadvantage in the SDC, because it's just not that spectacular seeing a 7 foot guy dunk a basketball. the reaction usually is, "well, he SHOULD be able to do that, he's 7 freaking feet tall".

But when a smaller player does it, it looks better because of how high they have to get off the ground. It's why Spud Webb won the contest way back when. His dunks were nothing special, but he had to jump about 5 feet to do it.

With Freddie's jumping ability, the POTENTIAL for him doing something spectacular-looking is certainly there.

Hoop
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I just love Freddie. He has a great attitude, he's a good interview, seems like a well rounded nice guy. His jump shot is his only real weakness, if that improves the skys the limit.

He could have a real shot at winning the dunk contest. :dance:

Hicks
01-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree creativity will be the key. He said after he initially turned down the request to be in it that his dunks are all power and that in a contest he's not flashy.

However, if JO, Al, and JB can put a bug in his ear and rehearse with him a bit, he could pull it off.

We'll know pretty quick if he tried to do something unique or not.

He should still get browny points just for being a shorter guy doing it, but that will only advance him once at best.

Hopefully the think up some stuff to propell him to the trophy. :champions:

Unclebuck
01-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Who else is in the contest

ABADays
01-29-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm excited but I don't want him to leap over chairs. Wayyyyyyyy to risky. Hell, the guy will have a hard enough time not hitting his head on the backboard.

Roy Munson
01-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Who else is in the contest

I think Jason Richardson has said he will defend his title. Other than that, I haven't heard.

Snickers
01-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Yess!!! :mango:

This will be fun to watch. Freddie's not really a creative type of dunker [he says he's not], but he can certainly pull off the jaw-dropping power and air-time dunks.

He'll have a good chance at winning, unless they do something like that idiotic "wheel of dunks" gag again. :mad:

PacerMan, I remember him being mostly a slasher in college, but he did have a pretty decent jumper too, especially the pull-up. There's a poster around here who's an Oregon man, hopefully he'll stop in soon and give us some insight.

Unclebuck
01-29-2004, 02:47 PM
If Freddie can hit his head on the backboard and then dunk it, he'll win

Hicks
01-29-2004, 02:48 PM
I always wanted to see a guy dunk it with is offhand, then quickly with is stronghand grab the ball and dunk it again before coming down.

Unclebuck
01-29-2004, 03:00 PM
I always wanted to see a guy dunk it with is offhand, then quickly with is stronghand grab the ball and dunk it again before coming down.

You have been playing too many video games.

:laugh:

Roy Munson
01-29-2004, 03:00 PM

OK, here's my "Dream Dunk".

As Freddie prepares the dunk, he eye's the rim, starts his approach, then stops and backs off, looking confused. He repeats this a couple times.

Then he picks up a cell phone and makes a pretend-call. A few seconds later JO emerges from the tunnel with a stepladder and a football tee. The tee should have some tape or other sticky substance on the bottom.

JO sets up the ladder under the hoop, climbs to the top and places the tee on TOP of the backboard, with the tape down so it's secure up there. While he's still up there Freddie tosses him the ball, which JO places in the tee.

JO removes the ladder, Freddie gets set, runs to the hoop, jumps up and takes the ball off the tee and slams it through the hoop!!!

Winner. 50 points. (if he could do it).

Unclebuck
01-29-2004, 03:03 PM

As Freddie prepares the dunk, he eye's the rim, starts his approach, then stops and backs off, looking confused. He repeats this a couple times.

Then he picks up a cell phone and makes a pretend-call. A few seconds later JO emerges from the tunnel with a stepladder and a football tee. The tee should have some tape or other sticky substance on the bottom.

JO sets up the ladder under the hoop, climbs to the top and places the tee on TOP of the backboard, with the tape down so it's secure up there. While he's still up there Freddie tosses him the ball, which JO places in the tee.

JO removes the ladder, Freddie gets set, runs to the hoop, jumps up and takes the ball off the tee and slams it through the hoop!!!

You've been watching too much WWF, or whatever it is called now

Hicks
01-29-2004, 03:05 PM

You have been playing too many video games.

:laugh:

Well, if he can't do that, I'd still be impressed if he could do it with his offhand hanging on the rim to give him enough time to dunk it a second time; as long as he doesn't take too long.

Natston
01-29-2004, 05:11 PM
I remember Fredie when he was in the college slam dunk contest, and he was amazing. I remember one dunk where he took off from the baseline (outside of the paint) and reverse dunked it. He got screwed because some tall dude dunked over a chair...

I was actually going to skip the dunk contest this year, but now I'm going to watch it... :devil:

Eindar
01-29-2004, 05:47 PM
I saw the contest with Fred Jones, and he should have easily won. His dunks were far more impressive, but they didn't have that "showtime" flair, a la blindfolds, jumping over people or burning cardboard boxes or whatever, and I seem to remember that the guy who won got a lot more applause (home court advantage?), but Fred still got a lot of gasps of the "ooh" variety, and a good bit of applause.

PaceBalls
01-29-2004, 06:05 PM

Mr. Munson, that is, BY FAR, the greatest dunk I have ever heard thought of, please someone tell freddie. I do really wonder if he can grab it from the top of the backboard...but he DID hit his head on it just yesteday, that leaves like 3 feet for arm reach...

I mean really what else can be done, That one tops the cake pal.

MSA2CF
01-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I think Bender should try the dunk contest again. I bet he could jump further than the free throw line.

I want to see someone jump off the other guy's back, then they could do some very long dunks. I also want to see someone jump up, put the ball between his legs like he's going to put it through, but stop it and bring it back up with the same hand he put it down with and slam it home.

I wish I could dunk. :disappointed:

Natston
01-29-2004, 06:46 PM

I can't even dunk a doughnut into a cup of coffee... :blush: :rant:

MSA2CF
01-29-2004, 07:59 PM

I can't even dunk a doughnut into a cup of coffee... :blush: :rant:

That's just pathetic. :nod:

Hicks
01-29-2004, 08:36 PM
I think it was on the IS board back in the day, but there's been a discussion about the whole touching the top of the backboard thing. I think the general consensus was it's a myth because there's zero photos of people pulling dollars off the backboard or whatnot.

So I highly doubt a 6'3" guy, even a guy like Freddie with his hops, can grab a basketball off a football kickstand on TOP of the backboard, and manage to dunk it coming down.

SycamoreKen
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
He needs to do something that will make people say "Wow, I've never seen that before".

If he does it will be the first time in, what, 10 years?

Suaveness
01-30-2004, 12:45 AM
I totally cannot wait to see how this turns out, and I will definitely be watching this.

Hicks
01-30-2004, 08:06 AM
He needs to do something that will make people say "Wow, I've never seen that before".

You'd seen an off-hand, between the legs, reverse dunk coming off the baseline before?? I sure hadn't.

wintermute
01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
and I couldn't care less about seeing the dunks. I think Freddie needs a mild case of publicity for his confidence to fully bloom. The winner always gets recognized over the rest of the season and is always watched closely for "Top 10" type plays for the highlight shows.
He "seems" like a quiet, modest kind of guy. Maybe overly subordinating his game? Maybe just a LITTLE bit of current typical "NBA attitude" MIGHT be a good thing.
I know he hasn't shown a jumper, but if you read about his college career he was a majorly clutch go to scorer his senior year. Can't do that without a jumper I'd think, at least to some degree.
ANyone see him in college regularly? was he all just drive and soar or did he shoot outside?
I like Freddie a lot and think it would be a big mistake to let him play anywhere else. His slashing and defensive ability alone will make him important to us. Lot of guys develop into decent shooters over their careers, no reason he won't. He seems to be a very intelligent and down to earth kid, with incredible athletic abilities. I suspect he realizes WHAT an opportunity he has staring him in the face. (stepping in for Reggie on a top 3 team).
Winning the dunk contest MIGHT just be springboard for THIS particular player to blossom. :cool:

i think this is a great post. dunks are fun and all, but the best thing that can happen is if freddie gains confidence and it transfers to his play.

go freddie! do we start calling him "indiana" jones? hehe :D

fwpacerfan
01-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I remember when I was in middle school our high school (Anderson High) had a slam dunk type contest and one of the players (Andre Morgan)grabbed a quarter off of the top of the backboard as he dunked. It was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. I also remember Terrence Stansbury and his performance. Didn't Kenny Williams also make it out of the 1st round one year?

SycamoreKen
01-30-2004, 04:30 PM

You'd seen an off-hand, between the legs, reverse dunk coming off the baseline before?? I sure hadn't.

That happened last year? I don't even remember it.I know I've seen at least one other between the legs dunk. Wasn't it Rider? For some reason I find the 3 point shoot out more interesting.

Hicks
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM

That happened last year? I don't even remember it.I know I've seen at least one other between the legs dunk. Wasn't it Rider? For some reason I find the 3 point shoot out more interesting.

OK, picture yourself standing at about the 3 point line straight in front of the hoop.

Jason Richardson was in the right corner of the court, and he throws the ball up to the hoop from the side, runs the baseline jumps catches the ball with his right hand, loops it under his leg and catches it with his left hand, and at this point he's sideways to the basket, right in front of it, and then he stuffs it in.

He's right handed, too.

Cactus Jax
01-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Somebody on RealGM found out at least one of the other contestants.

WizFans.com and RealGM.com: RealGM.com and WizFans.com has learned the participants of the 2004 All-Star Slam-Dunk Contest. Two-time defending champion Jason Richardson, of Golden State, will defend his title and will be challenged by newcomers Fred Jones of the Indiana Pacers and Chris Anderson of the Denver Nuggets. According to a league source, the fourth participant of the Slam-Dunk contest is to be determined in hopes that LeBron James will participate. Read Article

The link doesn't work so I'm not going to post it but I believe it. Anderson is a high flyer, but big men usually do terrible in the contest, and Lebron's probably not going to compete, so I could see somebody like Ronald Dupree of Chicago, or I guess Desmond Mason again.

Suaveness
01-30-2004, 11:32 PM
and I couldn't care less about seeing the dunks. I think Freddie needs a mild case of publicity for his confidence to fully bloom. The winner always gets recognized over the rest of the season and is always watched closely for "Top 10" type plays for the highlight shows.
He "seems" like a quiet, modest kind of guy. Maybe overly subordinating his game? Maybe just a LITTLE bit of current typical "NBA attitude" MIGHT be a good thing.
I know he hasn't shown a jumper, but if you read about his college career he was a majorly clutch go to scorer his senior year. Can't do that without a jumper I'd think, at least to some degree.
ANyone see him in college regularly? was he all just drive and soar or did he shoot outside?
I like Freddie a lot and think it would be a big mistake to let him play anywhere else. His slashing and defensive ability alone will make him important to us. Lot of guys develop into decent shooters over their careers, no reason he won't. He seems to be a very intelligent and down to earth kid, with incredible athletic abilities. I suspect he realizes WHAT an opportunity he has staring him in the face. (stepping in for Reggie on a top 3 team).
Winning the dunk contest MIGHT just be springboard for THIS particular player to blossom. :cool:

i think this is a great post. dunks are fun and all, but the best thing that can happen is if freddie gains confidence and it transfers to his play.

go freddie! do we start calling him "indiana" jones? hehe :D

Actually, I think Al Alberts already does, but we should spread the word :dance:

ROCislandWarrior
01-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Desmond Mason again.

Des Mas can Fly, I wouldn't mind seeing him, freddy and JRich go at it