PDA

View Full Version : Employment Agency help

Jose Slaughter
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm looking to change jobs & was wondering if anyone had any experiences, either good or bad, with any employment services?

I've been doing the same thing for more than 15 years & I want to get into something different so I don't know if a resume may not be completely helpful.

Any thoughts?

Los Angeles
03-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been working the independent circuit for years now and can probably help quite a bit.

Here are a few questions to get you started. (Remember, don't think too hard about the answers, you don't have to know exactly where you are going, I'm just asking for a general "that sounds ok" or a "maybe" or "i don't think so".) Anyway, here goes:

What industry/job are you in?

Do you want to keep working in your field or are you looking for a new direction?

Would you consider additional training or school?

Would you be willing to move, or do you want to stay put for now?

With a little guidance, in anywhere from 3 to 18 months you're going to be headed in a completely different direction. Believe me.

Los Angeles
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
To clarify, I know you said something new. but What I'm asking is do you want something new in your present industry? For instance, a switch from plumbing to carpentry keeps you in construction. But switching from selling computers to becoming a park ranger is a big jump. What kind of change are you agreeable to right now?

Twes
03-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I think if I could be 20 again I'd go run a camera for Realtree or something.

I think about finding a way to do that now.

Careerbuilder.com and Monster.com are maybe worth a look.

I'd update the resume if for no reason than to document where you've been even if it's not where you want to go or stay.

It's tough to imagine any new job not wanting a look at a resume.