PDA

View Full Version : Still glad the format war is over?

Anthem
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Sony kills its competitor, and immediately the price of players starts climbing again! Shocking, just shocking!

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

Trader Joe
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
This is why I love capitalism. (No sarcasm)

Hicks
03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
My guess is it was down due to competition, but from their POV grossly underpriced, and now they will let it come down through supply & demand.

Anthem
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
My guess is it was down due to competition, but from their POV grossly underpriced, and now they will let it come down through supply & demand.
It's a proprietary technology. They control supply.

Do an analysis of MemoryStickPro vs SD Flash sometime. Sony sees owning the standard as a license to print money.

I'll be waiting this round out. Upconverted DVDs will do until I move to whatever's after BR.

Shade
03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
It will cost what people are willing to pay. Sony was (and possibly still is) losing money on the hardware.

As long as software prices don't shoot through the roof, I'm fine. If they do, then I'll just buy DVDs again until Blu-Ray prices become reasonable.

Sony can't afford to price themselves out of the market, and I believe they're smart enough to know that. HD movies are still a relatively niche market.

Naptown_Seth
03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
This is why I picked up a 2nd HD player cheap and have started grabbing any HD-DVDs I see cheap...except for the import stuff that isn't even out here like T2.

I mean not only do you have the price thing, but HD-DVD is region free, BR is not. Ugh.

Like I've said in other threads, BR is a great IN THEORY format, but they have totally fubar'd the actual implementation up to this point, including all the non-upgradable players, not having the full spec in earlier versions, the region code thing, the pricing.

Anthem is right about their view on the situation.

travmil
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I would wager that it's temporary. Think about it. Most people waited on the sidelines until one of the formats won. No that they know that BR wins, they go and buy a player, causing higher demand. Production will catch up to it and prices will come down. One thing you need to remember is that it's not just Sony. There are lots of companies in the Blu Ray disc association and they all have a hand in it.

Anthem
03-17-2008, 01:44 AM
I would wager that it's temporary. Think about it. Most people waited on the sidelines until one of the formats won. No that they know that BR wins, they go and buy a player, causing higher demand. Production will catch up to it and prices will come down. One thing you need to remember is that it's not just Sony. There are lots of companies in the Blu Ray disc association and they all have a hand in it.
Sony would never agree to a standard they couldn't monkey with for profit.

Exhibit A: Seth's post.

EDIT: I didn't realize they were region-locked. That whole business model is history, I can't believe they're trying it again. It's stupendously stupid at this point, with absolutely no upside. Just a continuation of the studio's "If the customers are losing, we must be winning" mentality.