PDA

View Full Version : ROT IN HELL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!

grace
03-09-2008, 03:10 AM
That is all.

Pig Nash
03-09-2008, 03:43 AM
I like it, mostly for the more tennis in the summer.

Shade
03-09-2008, 03:48 AM
:amen: :soapbox:

grace
03-09-2008, 09:58 AM
My only gripe is I'm starting a new job on Monday which means I have to go from working the last 7 months on night shift to working the next 2 weeks on days. Sure an hour doesn't seem like much until you're trying to convince yourself it's time to go to bed and the next think you know its 3:00 instead of 2.

And now I'll be spending the rest of the day not killing Kegboy when he tells me I can't take a nap.

Doug
03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I LOVE DST. Especially in the summer.

I love having extra daylight in the evening to play with the kids, to shoot baskets, grill out, play golf, hang out on the beach, even do yard work.

I love not having to hear my customers in other timezones (half) joke about "what time is it there?"

Nothing I do early in the morning requires sunlight.

rexnom
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah, it's terrible switching. I was out at a club and from 2 all of a sudden it's 3 and you have lost an hour of sleep after an exhausting night...not pleasant.

Hicks
03-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, it's terrible switching. I was out at a club and from 2 all of a sudden it's 3 and you have lost an hour of sleep after an exhausting night...not pleasant.

Myopia FTW!! ;)

Anthem
03-09-2008, 03:06 PM
The funny thing is that originally it was meant to help save energy, but at this point it's been pretty well established that Daylight Savings Time is a major energy-waster in the US. We'd cut our carbon footprint dramatically by getting rid of it across the country.

Lord Helmet
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
I was pissed to say the least when I saw I had to change my clock from 2AM to 3AM.

Hooray. :unimpress

Bball
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
DST can rot in Hell.

I agree.

-Bball

Los Angeles
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
No, standard time can rot in hell.

Daylight savings isn't the problem. Switching in and out of it is the problem.

idioteque
03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
The whole concept of time can rot in hell. I wish I could just be where I want to be when I want to be there.

Gyron
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I thought about this thread this morning when I was struggling to convince my body that it was really 6:30 AM and not 5:30 AM and time to get up. Especially considering I couldn't convince my body that it was really 11PM last night and couldn't fall asleep until 12PM.

Putnam
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Whether to switch or not is only half the issue. For Indiana, the second, and equally important, questions is, which time zone?

Western Indiana is almost 1,000 miles west of the east coast. yet it is still in the same time zone. The eastern edge of the Central Time Zone (the Alabama/Georgia state line) is nearly 200 miles further east than my house, and yet I'm eastern and they are Central.

Doug says he likes DST because he gets more time to "hang out on the beach," so I assume he's not in Indiana. (Are you?)

I can understand both sides of the national DST argument, though the facts as as Anthem has stated. But Indiana should not be in the eastern time zone.

Doug
03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Doug says he likes DST because he gets more time to "hang out on the beach," so I assume he's not in Indiana. (Are you?)

Yes. There are great beaches up on Lake Michigan.

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't say light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.

Every state on the border of time zone can make the argument that they are closer to the next state to the west than the first one to the east. The lines have to be somewhere.

Putnam
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't s[t]ay light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.

The six counties up near Lake Michigan already are on central DST.

Doug
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
The six counties up near Lake Michigan already are on central DST.

True. I'm not sure why, but seem to stay on eastern when we go up. Or, perhaps, we run a little more on "Island Time" now.

Stryder
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
DST is no longer needed in this country.

Bball
03-11-2008, 01:52 AM
IMHO... Indiana's position relative to the timeline negates any benefit of DST.

-Bball

James Bond
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Sleeping pills and coffee people.

That's my quick fix to DST.

;)

Los Angeles
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Switching clocks twice a year = stupid.

No national standard for something so rudimentary = bad.

My mother recently moved to Arizona. Arizona doesn't change clocks. So for part of the year, We're on the same time, and the other part of the year, she's on mountain time.

I never know when to call her. I'm always a hour late or an hour early depending on which way i've mis-managed my understanding of what the hell Arizona is up to.

Point is, we're not trying to conduct interstate commerce with deadlines and delivery expectations, we're just trying to have a conversation.

Switching clocks twice a year = stupid.

No national standard for something so rudimentary = bad.

N8R
03-12-2008, 04:17 AM
i Agree and I will SHOUT THAT OUT TO ALL

Trader Joe
03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I give DST a big meh. I adjust to the change easily.

Naptown_Seth
03-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't say light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.
Yeah, but that's the reality for a majority of people on DST. Indiana is one of the more extreme cases being so far west in the zone.

So DST does stink except if you want daytime till 10 (I don't, I like feeling like real life is going on, not some Denmark polar cap thing).

Whatever happened to just going to work earlier? You gotta pull the lame trick of setting the clock different to fool yourself into doing it...on a national scale? You can't just have summer hours?

What's next, switch the pricing at gas stations to the Euro style Per Liter so the price is "cheaper"? It won't really be different, but the indicator will SAY it's different so it's like it really is.

Doug
03-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but that's the reality for a majority of people on DST. Indiana is one of the more extreme cases being so far west in the zone.

So DST does stink except if you want daytime till 10 (I don't, I like feeling like real life is going on, not some Denmark polar cap thing).

Whatever happened to just going to work earlier? You gotta pull the lame trick of setting the clock different to fool yourself into doing it...on a national scale? You can't just have summer hours?

What's next, switch the pricing at gas stations to the Euro style Per Liter so the price is "cheaper"? It won't really be different, but the indicator will SAY it's different so it's like it really is.

Daytime 'til 10? Sunset is at 9:16 on June 22.

Going to work early? Easier said than done. It's not so easy to get companies to change their policies. Not everyone can just take off at 4.

Now, price per liter sounds OK, but that's just because I think we should have switched to the metric system a long time ago.

bellisimo
03-13-2008, 05:16 PM

really? with me I lose an hour of partying from the switch...

Hoop
03-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I hate it, no reason for it anymore. I've heard a ton of different reasons to justify having it, none make any sense to me.

There is around 4 to 5 hours difference in when it gets light or dark between summer and winter. What does one hour one way or the other really accomplish.

Split the difference, have everyone in there respective time zones change their clocks an 1/2 hour. End of problem, never change them again.

grace
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I hate it, no reason for it anymore. I've heard a ton of different reasons to justify having it, none make any sense to me.

There is around 4 to 5 hours difference in when it gets light or dark between summer and winter. What does one hour one way or the other really accomplish.

Split the difference, have everyone in there respective time zones change their clocks an 1/2 hour. End of problem, never change them again.

That would make too much sense.

indygeezer
03-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Set the time zone however but do not change, ever. It is what it is that way. If I had little kids I'd be pissed. I can't see getting little ones to bed when it is still daylight out....besides, they go to bed and the rest of the house needs to quiet down too so they can sleep. So no dribbling of basketballs then. Now for golf courses and fishermen....:)

Tell ya what...let's use a sundial, that seems to make more sense.
(Oh and Mitch....I tried to warn people what you were like)