PDA

View Full Version : I'm making the switch

indygeezer
03-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Goodbye Comcast

Hello Dish.............Tuesday AM.

Big Ten Network for me baby....although I am opposed to it, least they aren't charging x-tra for it.

Nope no league pass or any extras like that just the Top 200.

Course I've gotta keep a portable with rabbit ears handy for when the tornados come around.

idioteque
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I have always hated Comcast, they've nickeled and dimed me since I moved out of my parent's house and started paying my own bills.

To see one less Comcast customer warms my heart!

Kegboy
03-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm glad you got Dish instead of DirecTV, since News Corp owns both them and the Big Ten Network.

Twes
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm on Directv...low def.

I have to solve some hardware issues.

:cool:

Hicks
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
It's funny, I just made the opposite switch. Nothing about Comcast wows me (especially upon hearing that while they are now my provider instead of Insight for cable TV, they have no plans to make League Pass available through their digital service), and I liked Dish better, but I dropped it for $$$.

Eventually I think I'll go back to Satellite (unless digital cable improves), but I don't like how weather can affect the signal.

indygeezer
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
It's funny, I just made the opposite switch. Nothing about Comcast wows me (especially upon hearing that while they are now my provider instead of Insight for cable TV, they have no plans to make League Pass available through their digital service), and I liked Dish better, but I dropped it for $$$.

Eventually I think I'll go back to Satellite (unless digital cable improves), but I don't like how weather can affect the signal.

I worry about the signal...but the weather affected my Comcast digital sig too. The HD tv would be completely digitized and the non-HD set would be fine (cold blowing weather). Advanced Basic Comcast was costing me $82/mo (no Big 10 network)....for $82/mo Dish I get the Top 200 including Big Ten Network + An International package of 4 German channels which is VERY important to the wife who is a German Language teacher. I can drop that pkg at any time for $5 and save $25/mo. So for me, Dish is much cheaper.

Lord Helmet
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Thing that makes no sense, is if we're paying Comcast for Comcast services, why are we not able to get their services?

campy
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Don't have a TV.

indygeezer
03-11-2008, 11:44 AM
&*(( **&^%$% *(*&&^

Didn't make the switch afterall. Seems the cable my house was pre-wired with 18 years ago would all have to be stripped out and new installed. (Whatever #59 wire is) too many $$$$ involved there.

aint right son, I say it just ain't right

Los Angeles
03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
&*(( **&^%$% *(*&&^

Didn't make the switch afterall. Seems the cable my house was pre-wired with 18 years ago would all have to be stripped out and new installed. (Whatever #59 wire is) too many $$$$ involved there.

Why do you have to strip out cable?

Just run the new stuff along the edge of the carpet like the rest of us do. (well, that is if I had a carpet)

indygeezer
03-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Talked with Ceelular Connection out of Nobletucky. They're coming out tomorrow to install the set-up. They said that should have been done anyway and it was an installer that didn't wanna do the work.
So I may still have Big 10 Network before the weekend afterall. ;)

uh...I mean the wifes German stations. :laugh:

Bball
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
&*(( **&^%$% *(*&&^

RG59-
That's what used to be ran as coax cable in homes. Now it's RG6.

Technically, either will work but there's more signal loss in the RG59 (all else being equal). IOW... to run 10' you probably would never know the difference. To run 180' you could have troubles (with RG59)... like you experienced with the one TV you mentioned.

As LA said, no need to rip the old stuff out... Just put new stuff where you need it and off you go. And as you've learned, THAT should've been part of the standard installation anyway.

-Bball

indygeezer
03-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Well I hope they're good at hiding the cable because if it's visible the wife will ****.

James Bond
03-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Wasn't it comcast at this years CES that said that by the end of the year that they would be offering at least a thousand HD channels?

That impresses me a little..

A little bit more of the keynote speech from CES is here btw if anyone wanted to know all that was said.

http://parksassociates.blogspot.com/2008/01/comcast-ces-keynote-highlights.html

Bball
03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
1000 HD channels? Even if you count every local in every city that would be available to only those cities, I'm doubting there are 1000 HD channels that could possibly be in the Comcast system.

James Bond
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Read the article.
it's in there.
It's on them if it's not true.
I'm just saying what I heard.

Twes
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm an exisitng Directv customer looking to upgrade to High Def.

$199 per HD DVR receiver right now. Considering they are running adds that say "free upgrade" that's pretty annoying.

Bait and Switch. Apparantly the free upgrade is only for new customers.

They f%$@ you at the drive thru.

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
If I switch to HD with cable I only have to trade in my DVR for a HD one.

Twes
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
If I switch to HD with cable I only have to trade in my DVR for a HD one.

But with cable you are attached to the devil in hell by the tentacle of death.

I don't feel I'm overstating here.

:unimpress

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
But, I can still watch tv when its raining!

Twes
03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
But, I can still watch tv when its raining!

I can watch tv when its raining.

Gyron
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
We don't get occassional jumbled signal when its raining....

SycamoreKen
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
They have actually overcome that problem? I hated that when my parents had the dish.

Twes
03-19-2008, 07:38 PM
In truth I've never had digital cable. I fought with cable back when it was split signals and weak pictures full of distortion.

The ongoing search for "the bad coax".

Coupled with the couldn't care less approach to customer service.

Clearly digital is the answer. And high def is the next level.

I'm close. I'm very close.

:D

Naptown_Seth
03-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Well I hope they're good at hiding the cable because if it's visible the wife will ****.
Basement or crawl space?

My buddy brought his 30' ladder and we ran the gutter line and then under the siding edge to hit the living room. I ran others down my cold air return.

And BTW, using a box upstairs and the existing cable line (probably 59 I assume) I also ran the OUTPUT (modulated image onto channel 3) to other rooms from the bedroom. Now in that case you have to share a box but it's cheaper than adding an extra, let alone trying to run a dish feed to that part of the house.

Of course no HD in that case. But that pre-installed cable can be your friend, that's my point.

Also, a pricey option to run HD now from a source far away is fiber boxes which will take your HD and audio, put it onto a fiber run which is very easy to hide and great for long runs, and then at the other end you just have the decoder for the fiber and full HD/audio. Having this instead of a dish line (or 2 more likely if dual tuner/Tivo style) plus a big box at the other end will cost you $600 (last I checked).

Naptown_Seth
03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm an exisitng Directv customer looking to upgrade to High Def.

$199 per HD DVR receiver right now. Considering they are running adds that say "free upgrade" that's pretty annoying.

Bait and Switch. Apparantly the free upgrade is only for new customers.

They f%$@ you at the drive thru.

Yeah, the box side of things is crap right now. You are no longer "buying" it either, you are renting it. Yes, even at $200. But I still did it. I guess if I cancel later they will expect me to return the box that I didn't even "buy" from them directly. What do I care, it's not like if I cancel I had other plans for it, but I hate the idea.

Warning on this box. In some ways it's cool, but overall it's not as slick as the DirecTivos you have for SD only signals. It's a choice between recording HD and having a bit smoother running software and functionality. When I play back recorded HD I get over those issues in a hurry. ;)

What can be free is the switch to the latest dish that will hit all targets in order to get the full range of HD channels. I'm waiting for better weather before doing this.

Twes
03-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the box side of things is crap right now. You are no longer "buying" it either, you are renting it. Yes, even at $200. But I still did it. I guess if I cancel later they will expect me to return the box that I didn't even "buy" from them directly. What do I care, it's not like if I cancel I had other plans for it, but I hate the idea.

Warning on this box. In some ways it's cool, but overall it's not as slick as the DirecTivos you have for SD only signals. It's a choice between recording HD and having a bit smoother running software and functionality. When I play back recorded HD I get over those issues in a hurry. ;)

What can be free is the switch to the latest dish that will hit all targets in order to get the full range of HD channels. I'm waiting for better weather before doing this.

Did you buy yours from Directv or from Best Buy or something?

Gyron
03-20-2008, 11:46 AM
They have actually overcome that problem? I hated that when my parents had the dish.

No, they haven't completely overcome that problem.....My dad still has it today.

Twes
03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
No, they haven't completely overcome that problem.....My dad still has it today.

Rarely do I have interruption

And it doesn't last long when I do.

SycamoreKen
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I have been happy with our Time Warner service at our current residence. When we were having trouble with our digital signal they came out and ran new able to each outlet in the house. They also upgraded our one box that was older. I think the multiple options we have for t.v. here besides T.W. another cable company, the dishes, and ATT have boosted their response time. I would never go with ATT based on my phone experiences.

Twes
03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I went to 2 Best buys today- neither of which had these receivers

I'm just going to buy them from Directv tomorrow