View Full Version : Bulls interested in Harrington again

Unclebuck
06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
There were rumors last summer also

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull04.html

Curry deal might be on fast track

June 4, 2004

BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter

Bulls operations chief John Paxson appears to be shifting his stance regarding the timing of a contract extension for center Eddy Curry, who will be eligible for a long-term deal Aug. 1.

Paxson had maintained he would wait until after next season to address the issue. Curry would become a restricted free agent on July 1, 2005, and the Bulls would be able to match any offer after letting the market dictate Curry's value. That's what Paxson did with guard Jamal Crawford, who will become a restricted free agent July 1.

But the Bulls have made it known that the 6-11, 285-pound Curry, who just concluded his third season, is considered the cornerstone of the franchise. He has impressed management with his offseason conditioning thus far, and that might play a role in what happens when he becomes eligible for an extension.

''I would like to think we could get something done because you would like to have something like that done and over with,'' Paxson said Thursday. ''That way, you'd know who you're going to be working with for years to come.

''We have until August to really evaluate if we want to extend him. If he gives me good reason to go out and really pin him down, it would be good for him and good for us. We're sitting in the same position with Jamal, but big guys have more value.''

Previously, the possibility of an extension for Curry was linked with the possibility of one for forward Tyson Chandler. But Chandler, who might be traded, suffered back problems and appeared in only 35 games this season. So Paxson doesn't necessarily face the prospect of two long-term deals, even though Chandler has been working hard at the Berto Center to get stronger.

The prospect of locking up Curry, who is without an agent, to a lucrative contract extension likely will affect any trades Paxson will make this summer. A deal with the Dallas Mavericks for Michael Finley, Antawn Jamison or Antoine Walker appears unlikely because of the contracts involved. No discussions between the teams have taken place.

One player the Bulls are interested in is the Indiana Pacers' Al Harrington, who is available. Harrington is a 6-9, 250-pound small forward who was the runner-up to Jamison for Sixth Man of the Year. Harrington, who averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds, wants to start, and that doesn't appear to be likely with Ron Artest on the Pacers. Artest also might be available.

''If there is the opportunity for [Harrington] to be a starter here, that would be great,'' Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. ''And if there isn't, then it may be time for him to move on to another team.''

Harrington has only two years and $13.3 million remaining on his contract, which is a bargain, but the Bulls still might hesitate to deal the No. 3 pick in the draft for him. The Bulls would be able to unload a contract, perhaps that of forward Eddie Robinson or forward Scottie Pippen.

The Pacers also might be interested in Golden State Warriors center Erick Dampier.

NOTE: The Bulls on Saturday will work out Peoria Central standout Shaun Livingston, who's considered a top-10 draft prospect on the rise.

sweabs
06-04-2004, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't want anyone on their team besides Curry who they aren't willing to give up. And I don't think we should trade Al for a draft pick.

Doug in CO
06-04-2004, 11:46 AM
If we do another Antonio Davis for Jonathon Bender type deal I will be pissed

Snickers
06-04-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't know much about the players expected to go early in the draft, but Okafor is the only one I'd trade Al for the chance to get. And he'll be gone by #3.

I agree Doug in CT, I don't want to swap the Al of now for a rookie Al.

But now that Al's seen as being on the trading block, we're going to get lots of interested teams. Expect some window shopping by Donnie and Larry.

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Frankly, there is no one on that team that I want. They suck.

Snickers
06-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Harrington for Hinrich, JYD and a second rounder works.

Any takers on that one?

LAPacer
06-04-2004, 12:04 PM

Any takers on that one?

We don't get a center or a 2-guard that way. I don't really like that one.

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Any takers on that one?

No thanks.

Snickers
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Aside from Hinrich and Williams, there's really nobody on the Bulls I like. :neutral:

Bulls.... No Al for you!! :mad:

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2004, 12:10 PM
If they offer you Jamal Crawford for Harrington you better jump at it. He's not necessarily a better player, but he is a 2 guard and he's certainly very talented.

Unclebuck
06-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I would trade him for Chandler.

Snickers
06-04-2004, 12:12 PM
If they offer you Jamal Crawford for Harrington you better jump at it. He's not necessarily a better player, but he is a 2 guard and he's certainly very talented.

True, but aren't they bent on keeping him? Kinda like Curry, I figured he was locked down.

Zesty
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised the Bulls would want to trade with us again after we fleeced them so badly a couple years ago.

sweabs
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM

Really???

I don't know - I'm not a big Chandler fan...I think Curry will be a better player. Chandler's build reminds me of Bender - which in turn means injuries. Chandler doesn't seem that aggressive from what I've seen of him. Granted, he's still young...but he has had a few years in the league already and there hasn't been much improvement (hmmm...just like Bender!).

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2004, 12:44 PM

True, but aren't they bent on keeping him? Kinda like Curry, I figured he was locked down.

He was being shopped earlier in the year. The 50-pt game and Toronto trade may have changed their thoughts on that.

Unclebuck
06-04-2004, 12:45 PM

Really???

I don't know - I'm not a big Chandler fan...I think Curry will be a better player. Chandler's build reminds me of Bender - which in turn means injuries. Chandler doesn't seem that aggressive from what I've seen of him. Granted, he's still young...but he has had a few years in the league already and there hasn't been much improvement (hmmm...just like Bender!).

Injuries are the only concern with him if you ask me. he has the talent and desire to be a great defensive player and rebounder, and a decent offensive player. He and J.O inside blocking shots would rival the Wallace's blocking shots

I think he is very, very aggressive, and he seems to really want to win. Chandler is the hard working one who plays hard all the time. Curry is the one who is not a hard worker to this point in the career

Snickers
06-04-2004, 12:48 PM

He was being shopped earlier in the year. The 50-pt game and Toronto trade may have changed their thoughts on that.

Harrington/Crawford would definitely be something to consider. He's always struck me as having some minor attitude problems, but when you play for the Bulls, that happens.

sweabs
06-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I think he is very, very aggressive, and he seems to really want to win. Chandler is the hard working one who plays hard all the time. Curry is the one who is not a hard worker to this point in the career

You're right - he is a very agressive player on the defensive end looking back at some of his games. Maybe injuries kept him from being agressive on the offensive end as well. But remember, he is a Chicago Bull.......we are good at taking those guys and making them into all-stars!!! :laugh:.

indygeezer
06-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I dunno. The Al for a draft pick just makes SOOO damn much sense. You trade off 5+ mil in contract for a rookie contract. It's somebody that doesn't start for us and isn't likely to anytime soon. You get back the POTENTIAL for somebody that could be really big time and you have that rookie payscale for at least three years. You delaythe decisions for a period of time (oh and by then it WILL be LB's headache). And you free up minutes for Bender and others.

It just makes sense.

sweabs
06-04-2004, 01:00 PM
I dunno. The Al for a draft pick just makes SOOO damn much sense. You trade off 5+ mil in contract for a rookie contract. It's somebody that doesn't start for us and isn't likely to anytime soon. You get back the POTENTIAL for somebody that could be really big time and you have that rookie payscale for at least three years. You delaythe decisions for a period of time (oh and by then it WILL be LB's headache). And you free up minutes for Bender and others.

It just makes sense.

The only way I would take the draft pick was if we could get Okafor or Howard out of it...and it looks like those 2 will be the first 2 to go. So the #3 pick in my opinion is not worth the risk.

Bball
06-04-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised the Bulls would want to trade with us again after we fleeced them so badly a couple years ago.

Well, neither team has kept much from that trade and both made more moves... what did Chicago end up getting (AD and anything? ...I can't remember).

The trade netted us Artest and Pollard at this point. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.... tho.... Artest for Jalen ain't bad!

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Depends how good the third pick in the draft is going to be. if this were last year's draft when Mello and Wade or even Bosh were available, then yes it would be a good deal, but I don't think there are players like that in this draft. But I don't know I don't such things until I have to.

ChicagoJ
06-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Tyson's Chicken is one of the softest guys in the NBA. UB, I can't believe you like him - his utter lack of toughness, I'd think, would make him "not your type of player."

Fool
06-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Can it be true that Harrington is only 35 pounds lighter than "Baby Shaq" ? I find that hard to believe on both sides.

Dukins
06-04-2004, 01:20 PM
The only two worth considering is Curry and Crawford and either of them will be plucked away. This draft is so weak that you really have no idea in what your getting with the third pick. Okafor and Howard after that its a crap shoot. If we did have the 3rd pick maybe that 7/5" foot guy. Forgot his name.

Kstat
06-04-2004, 01:43 PM
The only two worth considering is Curry and Crawford and either of them will be plucked away. This draft is so weak that you really have no idea in what your getting with the third pick. Okafor and Howard after that its a crap shoot. If we did have the 3rd pick maybe that 7/5" foot guy. Forgot his name.

No, after Okafor, Howard and DENG ITS a crapshoot. Deng is a Carmello clone. He'll go #3 easy.

I've seen Pavel go anywhere from 5th to 15th on various mock drafts.

Put it this way-he's shaq with Bender's brain. Loads of talent, no BBall IQ. He's a 4 year project at best.

I do agree this is the weakest crop of talent I've seen in years. I'm glad we dealt both of our draft picks this year.

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Tyson's Chicken is one of the softest guys in the NBA. UB, I can't believe you like him - his utter lack of toughness, I'd think, would make him "not your type of player."

I agree...I've seen him play enough to know that is just isn't good. Soft soft soft.

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2004, 02:56 PM

Well, neither team has kept much from that trade and both made more moves... what did Chicago end up getting (AD and anything? ...I can't remember).

JYD and (I think) Michael Curry

unstandable
06-04-2004, 02:57 PM

No, after Okafor, Howard and DENG ITS a crapshoot. Deng is a Carmello clone. He'll go #3 easy.

I've seen Pavel go anywhere from 5th to 15th on various mock drafts.

Put it this way-he's shaq with Bender's brain. Loads of talent, no BBall IQ. He's a 4 year project at best.

I do agree this is the weakest crop of talent I've seen in years. I'm glad we dealt both of our draft picks this year.

The latest word is that Deng is dropping and may have been passed by Iguodala from Arizona and Childress from Stanford. Iguodala is the best athlete in the draft and a great defender, the knock on him was his shooting but he's been hitting shots at workouts. Deng is solid but people don't think he has the athleticism to be a star.

Artestaholic
06-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Well, if we could get the #3 draft pick for Harrington I'd do it, then see what I could get for the pick.
Do you think the #3 pick plus maybe Fred Jones could get us someone like Michael Redd?

Will Galen
06-04-2004, 09:20 PM
How about this. Harrington and Fred Jones for Crawford, Pippen, and a swap of #1 picks, 29 for 3? It works cap wise.

Pippen may retire and he may not, but he would be in the last year of his contract. Our lineup woud look thus.

F...6'11 JO............6'10 Croshere...7'1 Brezac
F...6'7 Artest.........7'0 Bender........6'8 J.Jones
C...6'11 Foster......6'11 Pollard......7'5 Pavel? Pick #3
G...6'5 Crawford...6'7 Miller...........6'8 Pippen? if he doesn't retire
G...6'3 Tinsley.......6'3 Johnson......6'4 Brewer

Two birds with one stone so to speak. Our shooting guard and a huge pivot man. Of course it would take a while for Pavel to develop, but we already have a starting lineup. Plus we might not use the #3 on Pavel if Bird likes someone else.

Of course Johnson might opt out, Brewer might not resign, Brezac or JJones cound be gone in the expansion draft, and Reggie could retire. So we could have a lot of holes to fill.

BigDawg44
06-04-2004, 11:31 PM
This could be a dumb question but, could we trade harrington for a crap player and a future first rounder? Trade him to a crap team, get a high pick :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tora tora
06-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Pacers should jump at any chance of getting Curry... could you imagine playing Oneal at the 4 and Curry at the 5? That would be sick

Ultimate Frisbee
06-05-2004, 03:11 AM
I kinda think this is Chicago dreaming... kinda like we have been doing the past few days... :laugh:

I don't see a way that they get Ron period or Harrington for anything less than the 3rd pick and a decent (non-huge contract) player.