PDA

View Full Version : Bender

Dukins
06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Can we really be too hard on Bender? He shouldve been in this class of the draft, if he wouldve stayed in college. He has had three different coaches. I know they have all rubbed off on him in some sort of way. Do you guy think he just doesnt have the basketball IQ for this game?

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Yes we can. Because he has not improved at all. His basketball IQ is terrible. He is weak.

Dukins
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I agree. I think his body still needs to develope and he needs to really dig into whatever programs the pacers have planned for the players. Also the summer league would help. Think though this season coming up would be his first season in the league.

Bball
06-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Didn't Bender opt out of Summer league last year? Didn't the Pacers want him to do it? Seems that was the case but I don't remember.

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Think though this season coming up would be his first season in the league.

Think again.

LAPacer
06-04-2004, 09:59 AM
You don't have to be super strong to be effective in the league. Look at Reggie, Hamilton, Prince etc. Even Garnett isn't using strength to get that turnaround fadeaway to drop.

ABADays
06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
If Bender doesn't participate in the summer programs or league this year it will speak volumes about him.

Unclebuck
06-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Because he has not improved at all.

Come on now. That is an incredible statement. not at all. I say he has improved al least 50%

Suaveness
06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Because he has not improved at all.

Come on now. That is an incredible statement. not at all. I say he has improved al least 50%

Ok, maybe not at all. But I hardly think that he has made a regular impact on this team. And it's annoying to think that after so many years people think he is going to be the "longer T-Mac". To me, he has shown nothing to prove that he can be consistant. And, he has SO many fundamental problems.

Hicks
06-04-2004, 12:52 PM
His low Bball IQ disturbes me, but I've still seen growth in his game. More confidence, more playing in the post (in the regular season, anyway), more aggression (again, mostly in the r. season).

Dukins
06-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Bender is great in practice because its not really controlled. He doesnt have to use his brain as much. He doesnt have to know the fundamentals because he is using pure skill. Oh boy when he gets on a real court all hell breaks loose cause he doesnt know plays. He seems like a lost sheep. I wonder if Bender was handed is diploma or did he really earn it. :giveup:

wintermute
06-05-2004, 05:30 AM
i get the sense that pacers will (finally) bear down hard on bender next season, if rick's comments are anything to go by - having bender participate in summer league, monitoring his conditioning, making room on the roster - all seems geared to get bender his shot.

presumably, if all that still fails, then we'll give up on the 5-year bender experiment. i'm just glad that rick thinks of bender as a sf/pf, and not as a 7 foot shooting guard :D

sweabs
06-05-2004, 10:20 AM
i get the sense that pacers will (finally) bear down hard on bender next season, if rick's comments are anything to go by - having bender participate in summer league, monitoring his conditioning, making room on the roster - all seems geared to get bender his shot.

presumably, if all that still fails, then we'll give up on the 5-year bender experiment. i'm just glad that rick thinks of bender as a sf/pf, and not as a 7 foot shooting guard :D

Oh I would hate to lose Bender...he just has so much potential to be a star if he wanted. :cry: ...And he is so good on NBA Live 2004 with Jermaine down low!!! :P .

RWB
06-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Bender's problem is he's an introvert. That is why the Pacers have not given up on him already. To me the recebt aggressiveness comes from the coaches hammering into his head he can do it (sorry for the cliche). I agree fully with wintermute that he has to show something this year or the Pacers will finally cut bait. I also believe if Al is shipped off and Bender get's those minutes he (Bender) will equal Al's stats from this season.

MSA2CF
06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I also believe if Al is shipped off and Bender get's those minutes he (Bender) will equal Al's stats from this season.

That would definitely warrant MIP consideration. :yes:

beast23
06-07-2004, 07:05 PM
....I agree fully with wintermute that he has to show something this year or the Pacers will finally cut bait.

Oh, god. That's something that should have been said by our GM two seasons ago, BEFORE granting Bender the extension.

I agree that Bender has improved. I just think that regardless of age, he's been in the league for 5 years. And now we're committed for the next three seasons at what.... an average of $6.5M or so?

That's a lot to pay for "potential".

No, if we are so in love with T-Mac, Allen or whomever, I'd say package Bender along with Al, if that's what it takes to equal salaries. Because in all likelihood, another team will not take Pollard or Croshere packaged with Al. But what the hell? They might be fooled by that "potential" thing we got going.