PDA

View Full Version : Reports: QB Brett Favre will retire after 17 seasons with Packers (AP via Yahoo)

avoidingtheclowns
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Reports: QB Brett Favre will retire after 17 seasons with Packers

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/;_ylt=AgtZm_a8RDuBA1ggQ2nSslwdsLYF) has decided to retire from the NFL after 17 seasons.

FOX Sports first reported Tuesday that the Green Bay Packers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb/;_ylt=AoAfC_.V5MK9Ywymkx1h1hEdsLYF) quarterback informed the team in the last few days. ESPN.com said that according to Favre’s agent the quarterback told coach Mike McCarthy of his decision.

Only two years removed from perhaps his worst season, Favre had a resurgence in 2007. He broke several career records. Among them was Dan Marino’s career mark for career touchdown passes. He powered the Packers to an NFC North title and a 13-3 regular-season record. He was named to his ninth Pro Bowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgXV6uy2aav34MWVg65k9w85nYcB?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hicks
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Huh. Thought he would be back.

travmil
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
In a related move, John Madden has announced his retirement.

Sollozzo
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Now Peyton has a pretty good shot at the consecutive starts record.

idioteque
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't think the Packers will be back to the level they were this year in the foreseeable future now.

Moses
03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't think the Packers will be back to the level they were this year in the foreseeable future now.
I dunno, Aaron Rodgers looked pretty darn good this year when he came in after Favre went down. Needless to say, it wasn't Favre alone who made the Packers team good. They've got a solid defense and great weapons on offense.

I'm not even that sure I buy the fact that Favre is retiring. Something tells me he will probably change his mind come July.

travmil
03-04-2008, 05:57 PM

With the defense that the Packers have they will be in the discussion for the next few years. Heck, the Bears and Ravens have proven that you can get to the Super Bowl with pretty much anyone as a QB if your defense is good enough.

riverside
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
My deepest condolences to John Madden & family. :(

avoidingtheclowns
03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
With the defense that the Packers have they will be in the discussion for the next few years. Heck, the Bears and Ravens have proven that you can get to the Super Bowl with pretty much anyone as a QB if your defense is good enough.

and thus far, rodgers has at least demonstrated more promise than trent dilfer. so there will be an adjustment period but the packers obviously have plenty of hope to fall back on.

BoomBaby31
03-07-2008, 12:14 AM
One of the most touching press conferences I have ever seen. In this day and age it is hard to find role models, especially in sports, I feel Brett Favre is a true role model for kids and peers; hard to see such a good man/athelete go but his time has come. He never played for the money, the fame, never tested his or his teams intigruity and always gave a 100%. I am not a "player fan" type guy, like most of you know; however I was a fan of Brett Favres.