PDA

View Full Version : Eagles sign Samuel to 6 year contract

GrangerRanger
02-29-2008, 11:56 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gPH9STnCSNDl3u9-HtqE3wLfHzIgD8V4857O1

Eagles Sign Free-Agent CB Samuel

By DAN GELSTON 6 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) The Eagles have signed free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel.

The Eagles agreed to a six-year contract on Friday with Samuel, who spent the last five seasons with New England and had 16 interceptions the last two years.

Samuel also tied the NFL career playoff record with three interceptions returned for TDs

Philadelphia had only 11 interceptions last year and failed to score a defensive touchdown. Its defense had an NFL-worst 19 takeaways.

The Eagles will likely trade or shift positions for either Lito Sheppard or Sheldon Brown.

Samuel, a two-time Pro Bowl selection with two Super Bowl rings, has 22 career interceptions. He was protected by New England last year by the franchise player tag.

The 18-1 cheatriots seem to have lost another piece.

ilive4sports
03-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Great signing here. He will improve our secondary which i felt was rather weak last season with injuries and no one after Lito or Sheldon. It will be interesting to see if we keep Lito or trade him since we said he can seek a trade.

Maybe we can steal Moss away from the Pats too. Nothing like a little wishful thinking.

Hicks
03-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Was he the one who almost intercepted Eli on that final drive?

Suaveness
03-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Yea

Moses
03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I think he fits perfectly in Philly. He's a gambler which should really help him out in Jim Johnson's pressure defense. However, Philly overpaid him..he's making 10 million a year for the first 3 years of his contract. I've watched him a ton being a NE fan and I think he's a bit over-rated. Still, Philly had the cap room and if they keep Shepperd, they have two top flight CBs.

jeffg-body
03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
That does freee up a ton of space for the Pats to try to get Moss and Stallworth back. I still believe a great pick-up for us would be Rosie Colvin to replace Rob Morris. Keahio, Brackett and Colvin sounds really nice. Not as nice as it would with Briggs, but not as costly.

pwee31
03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
That does freee up a ton of space for the Pats to try to get Moss and Stallworth back. I still believe a great pick-up for us would be Rosie Colvin to replace Rob Morris. Keahio, Brackett and Colvin sounds really nice. Not as nice as it would with Briggs, but not as costly.

Stallworth signed with the Browns