PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith

purdue101
06-03-2004, 05:54 PM
i have read that he hasn't played well at the pre-draft workouts and his stock has dropped him possibly out of the first round. he would be a steal for indy with that last pick. great SG prospect.

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 05:58 PM
i don't know him, do you have a link for him. plus.. if his stock has dropped, there must be a reason why.

purdue101
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM
he's a high school prospect at SG. he was lights out at the mcdonalds game....all his outside shots were falling....very good shooter. good athelte with size too. you know how the draft is though....teams get scared by a bad workout or an injury. after his performance at the mcdonalds game, teams were screaming top 10 pick. hopefully he'll struggle in the workouts and fall to us.

here's a link

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/jrsmith.asp

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Just by going off of the scouting report, I don't like his weaknesses. He can't create off the dribble, which is exactly what are hole at 2 guard is.

Doug
06-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Weaknesses: Smith's ball handling is not great and isnt as good creating off the dribble. His shooting off the dribble pales in comparison to his catch and shoot accuracy. Must work on his perimeter skills. Passing and defense can both stand improvement.

Sounds like the scouting report on Reggie. :-)

Actually, he doesn't look to bad. Might be worth a gamble at the end of the 1st round.

Hicks
06-03-2004, 06:59 PM
If his strength is the catch and shoot, run plays for him like you would Rip Hamilton: Off of screens.

ChicagoJ
06-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Weaknesses: Smith's ball handling is not great and isnt as good creating off the dribble. His shooting off the dribble pales in comparison to his catch and shoot accuracy. Must work on his perimeter skills. Passing and defense can both stand improvement.

Sounds like the scouting report on Reggie. :-)

Actually, he doesn't look to bad. Might be worth a gamble at the end of the 1st round.

Or the scouting report on Kareem Rush, whom we've already said "pass" on.

:whoknows:

Doug
06-03-2004, 07:28 PM

True. Although we passed on Kareem in the middle of the first, not at the last pick of the first.

But still, who knows.

I keep asking for a shooter and never getting one. I guess I'll try reverse psychology and ask for a brand new SF.

Mourning
06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I keep asking for a shooter and never getting one. I guess I'll try reverse psychology and ask for a brand new SF.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I dont think we should be looking to trade for higher draft picks. The team is young enough as it is, we need an immediate impact player at SG WITH atleast a few years of experience and preferably a veteran.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ChicagoJ
06-03-2004, 09:25 PM

True. Although we passed on Kareem in the middle of the first, not at the last pick of the first.

But still, who knows.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eindar
06-03-2004, 09:34 PM
If we're going to get a project, it should probably be at Center, since SGs are so easily had.

MSA2CF
06-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Anyway, I dont think we should be looking to trade for higher draft picks. The team is young enough as it is, we need an immediate impact player at SG WITH atleast a few years of experience and preferably a veteran.

I know a guy who no one is talking about.

Shane Battier.

He's a F-G and I have not exactly heard much about him since he left Duke.

I think he is a real possibility.

Anthem
06-04-2004, 02:30 AM

Shane Battier.

I actually like Battier a lot... have ever since he came into the league. But you do you get him? I wouldn't trade Al, Bender, or Freddy straight up for him. Croshere and Pollard, sure, but that won't happen.

Maybe Al for Battier and a pick? :shrug: We could do worse, I guess, but that's not a trade to get me excited.

Cactus Jax
06-04-2004, 02:46 AM

Shane Battier.

I actually like Battier a lot... have ever since he came into the league. But you do you get him? I wouldn't trade Al, Bender, or Freddy straight up for him. Croshere and Pollard, sure, but that won't happen.

Maybe Al for Battier and a pick? :shrug: We could do worse, I guess, but that's not a trade to get me excited.

The Pacers need a SCORING 2 guard, and Battier is more of a defensive, hustle guy. That's not to say I wouldn't want him on my team, it's just a guy like Richardson, or somebody would be a better fit.

DisplacedKnick
06-04-2004, 09:07 AM
A guy who's suddenly become projected as a top-ten pick based on the McDonald's game?

Sound like anyone else we know?

Dukins
06-04-2004, 09:28 AM
:idea: A GUY NAMED BENDER! :gossip:

MSA2CF
06-04-2004, 11:11 AM

Shane Battier.

The Pacers need a SCORING 2 guard, and Battier is more of a defensive, hustle guy. That's not to say I wouldn't want him on my team, it's just a guy like Richardson, or somebody would be a better fit.

Still, he can score. He's an NBA player, so he can do what we want him to do. I seem to remember him being a very good scorer at Duke. Anthem, I don't know what trade would work out; I may check it out at RealGM later, unless someone else does.

SkipperZ
06-04-2004, 03:27 PM
JR Smith is the real deal

But theres no way he drops to 29th.

And if we trade for a draft pick it most likely would be the 4th (Chicago)

If this is the case they would have to look long and hard at Shaun Livingston and Pavel Podzkoline. Livingston can play right away as a backup 1/2, but Pavel would be a Darko sized project.

I think Harrington would be better spent getting a proven player, but if they did trade for teh pick, I would not be upset with Livingston. Or if they traded down to draft Smith...

Hicks
06-04-2004, 03:52 PM
SkipperZ, the Bulls have the 3rd pick, Charlotte has the 4th.

Dukins
06-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I believe i saw on draftcity.net that he could be throwing his draft posession to sign with a certain team. I know thats proposterous. Dont kill the messenger. I dont think there is immediate help at the shooting guard position in the draft. Which is why we will trade for one?

SkipperZ
06-04-2004, 04:40 PM
SkipperZ, the Bulls have the 3rd pick, Charlotte has the 4th.

whoops typo... but doesnt change my argument... i still feel if the pacers had pick #3 they need to take Livingston.

unstandable
06-04-2004, 04:54 PM
You guys should look at Andre Iguodala if you get the third pick. According to ESPN Insider he's the fastest riser on the draft board (he's actually now projected to be drafted #3), and he fills your need (shooting guard). Plus, unlike a Euro or high schooler, he should be more NBA ready.