PDA

View Full Version : So now what?

Trader Joe
02-23-2008, 02:37 PM
IU fans (or interested observers) who do you want as IU's new head coach?

Personally if we could get a big name guy the first one on my list would be Rick Barnes. I think he would do an incredible job here.

I also really like Crean (Marquette), Bennett (Washington State), and Xavier's coach, but his name escapes me right now.

A lot of people are pushing for IU to make a hard run at Bruce Pearl, but I think it would be very tough to pull him away from Tennessee right now.

Shade
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm really not sure yet.

I do know, however, that if we make a deep tourney run under Dakich and then "Mike Davis" him, I'm gonna be very upset. I'm already disappointed about Lynch getting a similar deal with the football program.

Trader Joe
02-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I want the new coach ready to take over the moment we lose in the tourney or (God willing) the moment we hoist trophy number 6. It has to be that way to have any chance of getting Ebanks or Holloway to come here.

Shade
02-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I want the new coach ready to take over the moment we lose in the tourney or (God willing) the moment we hoist trophy number 6. It has to be that way to have any chance of getting Ebanks or Holloway to come here.

I absolutely agree there. The new coach is going to need to adapt to things quickly. I hope they're scouting the landscape as we speak.

obnoxiousmodesty
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Greenspan said it would be a week or two before he began thinking about a coaching search in earnest. I would assume, however, he already has a few names in mind.

Personally, I have no clue. Of course it will be extremely important to hire a proven winner and recruiter in Division 1. I know many will want to hire a so-called "IU guy", but I do not want the search to be so short-sighted. Let's find the best man for the job. Whomever IU chooses, they're going to command a very high salary by taking on this head coaching job at this time.

Trader Joe
02-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Well hopefully that anonymous donor will still be running around...

Sollozzo
02-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I have never cared about having an "IU guy" and it baffles me why so many IU fans are so stubborn about having one. An "IU guy" would have a ton of pressure on him and I am skeptical about how that would work out

Was Bobby Knight an "IU guy" before coming here?

Was Coach K a "Duke guy" before going there?

Was Wooden a "UCLA guy" before

I want to get a proven coach with no baggage. And like Shade said, the worst thing that could happen is that IU pulls a "Mike Davis" and gives the job to Dakich. But I doubt IU would do that because they know it would tick a lot of people off.

Trader Joe
02-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah I doubt Dakich is hired long term. After the Davis mess leading into this, I expect a clean break from this whole era.
We need to dig deep in our pockets if a guy like Pearl, Barnes, or Matta is ready and willing we need to throw all the money we can at them.

In other news, a reporter on Peegs talked to Holloway who has talked to Ebanks. Holloway says he is still 100% committed to IU, but wants to talk to Dakich and the rest of the coaches. He has talked to Meyer about the situation. He said Ebanks is in the same mindset.

Shade
02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
That's fantastic news, Indy.

grace
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I have never cared about having an "IU guy" and it baffles me why so many IU fans are so stubborn about having one. An "IU guy" would have a ton of pressure on him and I am skeptical about how that would work out

Was Bobby Knight an "IU guy" before coming here?

Was Coach K a "Duke guy" before going there?

Was Wooden a "UCLA guy" before

I want to get a proven coach with no baggage. And like Shade said, the worst thing that could happen is that IU pulls a "Mike Davis" and gives the job to Dakich. But I doubt IU would do that because they know it would tick a lot of people off.

I hear what your saying, but had they gone with an IU guy they wouldn't be in this position today.

I see nothing wrong with going after an IU guy even if it's just to interview him to keep the alums happy. That's part of the reason why so many people were unhappy when Sampson was hired.

Sollozzo
02-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I hear what your saying, but had they gone with an IU guy they wouldn't be in this position today.

I see nothing wrong with going after an IU guy even if it's just to interview him to keep the alums happy. That's part of the reason why so many people were unhappy when Sampson was hired.

I think they're in the position they are today because they hired a coach with baggage, a coach who didn't clean up his act when he got here.

If an IU guy is the best candidate for the job, then by all means please hire him. But if they are hiring an "IU guy" just for the sake of having an "IU guy", then IMO, that's a bad hire.

I thought most who were unhappy with the Sampson hire were upset because of the "baggage" he brought with him. I don't think there would have been as many unhappy people if say a Tom Creen were hired.

Sampson had the potential to be a legend amongst IU. The crowds loved him at the games last year, and even this year despite all of the allegations.

Trader Joe
02-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah I can't complain about Sampson from a coaching standpoint. He could have been special there is no doubt about that.

Sollozzo
02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah I can't complain about Sampson from a coaching standpoint. He could have been special there is no doubt about that.

Yeah, that's for sure. Sampson definitely "got" how special IU's program is. You could tell he loved the program and the prestige of it. It has to be killing him right now. But he has no one to blame but himself.

Sollozzo
02-23-2008, 04:37 PM
This video is kind of hard to watch now because it makes you wonder "what could have been." But it shows how much respect Sampson had for the IU program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcq6ZMDGXYI

It's a damn shame. But again, he has no one to blame but himself. He ruined what could have (would have) been a great thing for many years to come.

Elgin56
02-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Greenspan said it would be a week or two before he began thinking about a coaching search in earnest. I would assume, however, he already has a few names in mind.

Personally, I have no clue. Of course it will be extremely important to hire a proven winner and recruiter in Division 1. I know many will want to hire a so-called "IU guy", but I do not want the search to be so short-sighted. Let's find the best man for the job. Whomever IU chooses, they're going to command a very high salary by taking on this head coaching job at this time.

but I do not want the search to be so short-sighted

Like the last time?

Coop
02-23-2008, 05:43 PM
I haven't read the entire thread but right now the guys I'm most interested in are:

Bruce Pearl- What can you say about the guy? He's turned Tennessee's program around. His teams play the right way and he's a very energetic coach. He once said IU was his dream job and if it still is, I think we need to do whatever possible to bring him in.

Rick Barnes- He's done an amazing job at Texas. For a supposed football school, he has them in the national picture every year.

2nd options:

Thad Matta- Although he isn't the best in-game coach, he is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He has EXCELLENT ties to the midwest. Just look at how he has been living off of Indiana players the past couple years.

Tony Bennett- He could be a great long-term hire. He's young and he's been very successful at Washington State. I feel this is kind of a risky hire though because he isn't proven (JMO).

Sollozzo
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I would love to have Pearl.

avoidingtheclowns
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
a friend was asking what was next for IU as far as next season and coaches. i kinda rattled off a list of the names that have popped up (crean, bennett, skiles, etc). he had an interesting idea: larry brown.

his reasoning:
A) he's desperate to get back into coaching and it is high-profile enough for his ego
B) control freak that would have that control in college
C) splashy enough name for IU
D) success at KU and in the pros which would help recruiting following these sanctions.

while i tend to agree with his reasons for bringing brown's name up (and i'd like to add "p!ssing off isiah" to the reasons why list), i'd be much more concerned about the way in which he has left Indiana, Detroit, Philly and New York especially following the fairly dramatic exits of Knight, Davis and Sampson. also given that he's been out of college for a long time, would he remember how to and even want to recruit anymore? would it be in IU's best interest to go with a well-established college coach (like sampson, like crean, like bennett).

ultimately i might prefer him over skiles just because he's won championships at both levels while skiles hasn't but brown over current established college coaches? eh... i dunno. also i might prefer to get a younger guy that could stick around for a while.

anyway, i just thought i'd mention his idea here and see what other people's reactions were.

travmil
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
a friend was asking what was next for IU as far as next season and coaches. i kinda rattled off a list of the names that have popped up (crean, bennett, skiles, etc). he had an interesting idea: larry brown.

his reasoning:
A) he's desperate to get back into coaching and it is high-profile enough for his ego
B) control freak that would have that control in college
C) splashy enough name for IU
D) success at KU and in the pros which would help recruiting following these sanctions.

while i tend to agree with his reasons for bringing brown's name up (and i'd like to add "p!ssing off isiah" to the reasons why list), i'd be much more concerned about the way in which he has left Indiana, Detroit, Philly and New York especially following the fairly dramatic exits of Knight, Davis and Sampson. also given that he's been out of college for a long time, would he remember how to and even want to recruit anymore? would it be in IU's best interest to go with a well-established college coach (like sampson, like crean, like bennett).

ultimately i might prefer him over skiles just because he's won championships at both levels while skiles hasn't but brown over current established college coaches? eh... i dunno. also i might prefer to get a younger guy that could stick around for a while.

anyway, i just thought i'd mention his idea here and see what other people's reactions were.

Since the vast majority of impact NCAA players these days are freshmen and sophomores, I think they would look hard at commiting to IU given Brown's proven track record of playing experienced vets over talented newcomers if he were to come here. I don't like the idea of Brown at IU, but I don't hate it as much as I thought I would either. The guy I would absolutel love IU to take a look at is Mark Few of Gonzaga. He's had no trouble over the years getting good players to come out there and make deep tourney runs. I think a big recruiting budget and a high profile job would mesh well with what he brings to the table. I also like the idea of Bruce Pearl, but Tennessee would be crazy not to lock him up with a crazy contract after what he's done there. I also really like Kevin Stallings at Vandy. He's had mid major success in the MVC and though it has taken hima while to get Vandy going since he's been there, I think he's also a guy that could do well with what IU can offer.