PDA

View Full Version : Position by Position Player Evaluations - The Point Guards

Grant
06-03-2004, 03:48 PM
So I was thinking that with all of the chatter about offseason moves that we could have five threads in the next five days to compartmentalize each position. You can review, project or even grade the position. I'll go first.

Tinsley
The court of public opinion on this guy has done a 180. Put me down with the group that thinks he is a fixture for years to come. The problems that Tinsley had in the past have always been about defense and decision making. It seems to me that he really matured on both counts this year. He runs the team well and he's improved his defense, although he may never be better than an above-average defender. And his shot has gotten better, to the point where I don't cringe when he shoots. I had hoped that missing the first 1/3 of the year would keep him fresh in the playoffs. Unfortunately he just had too many injuries pile up. I would like to see him improve his shot a little bit more. Grade B+

Anthony Johnson
I don't know if he'll stay or not, but I think he will. Its unlikely that he could get a starting job anywhere else, and here he could be assured of being the primary backup. Good defensively and a pretty decent shooter. It may just be my imagination (and too much forum dwelling) but he doesn't seem to run the offense as well as Tinsley. Its most noticeable on fast breaks where Tinsley will complete the break and Johnson will pull up and run the offense.

Ironically the second group has all the athletes that can run/slash (Jones, Bender, Harrington) and Tinsley's group has the post-up/half court guys(Miller/O'Neal). Grade B-

Kenny Anderson
The veteran presence started the year as the starter and was a vitrual non-factor after Tinsley got the starting job back. As good as gone. Grade D

Jamison Brewer
I know a lot of people are high on him, but you have to wonder about someone who is a 4th string guy on the IR because there is no room for him. I would like to see him as the 3rd string guy and give a consistent 5-10 minutes a game. At least see what we have. Grade Incomplete

Offseason moves
Kenny Anderson leaves via Free Agency

Projected PG's next year:
Tinsley (starter)
Johnson
Brewer
F Jones (I would like to see him get some work at PG. If a new SG is acquired it would help him stay on the court).

Tomorrow: Shooting Guards

kerosene
06-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Troy Hudson will reportedly opt out of his contract. Despite his injuries this past year, it might make sense to make a run at him. I'm not sure if the Pacers can pay him though. He's made 2.5 this past season and I'm sure would like more than he'd make exercising his option for next season at 2.8.

Another guy with a player option... and I'm just throwing this out there, Gary Payton. I know some people are saying the guy is done and whatnot. Defensively he has lost a step, look at what Tony Parker or any other young, quick PG can do to him; but one might also argue that his struggles this season have largely been a result of playing within the triangle and not being "the man" as he pretty much was in the past. Something to consider maybe?

Now, I'm not advocating trading Tins, or taking the starting job from him. Just thinking about these two guys a bit the last couple of days.

Grant
06-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Another guy with a player option... and I'm just throwing this out there, Gary Payton. I know some people are saying the guy is done and whatnot. Defensively he has lost a step, look at what Tony Parker or any other young, quick PG can do to him; but one might also argue that his struggles this season have largely been a result of playing within the triangle and not being "the man" as he pretty much was in the past. Something to consider maybe?

Now, I'm not advocating trading Tins, or taking the starting job from him. Just thinking about these two guys a bit the last couple of days.

I like Gary Payton, and I realize that you are just throwing it out, but I have a couple of concerns. 1) I would not want to trade for him, because he is at the end of the road. 2) The exception would probably be better served elsewhere. 3) I think that both Payton and Tinsley would have problems with not being the starter.

Hudson has his fans here, and he reportedly would like to get a midlevel exception ($5 million) - he just opted out of his contract and is now a free agent. He would be a great backup to Tinsley, but I think he would want to start somewhere.

The Point Guard position is not ideal but I think it is going to remain the same.

LAPacer
06-04-2004, 09:52 AM
I like Hudson, and I used to like Payton. After watching how he behaves as a Laker, I now longer want Payton:
-Between playoff games Payton would complain about PT
-Payton would say "he didn't sign up for this sh%^"
-Payton would complain about Phil.
-Payton would complain about his teammates.
-Payton would complain about the fans blaming him for losses.
-Payton's defense is gone.