PDA

View Full Version : "I want the ball more..."

Roy Munson
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
"I want the ball more, so I've got to prove myself," he said. "Obviously we couldn't score the ball at the end. So I blame myself. I still have a lot to prove to people."

Ron Artest is not only a ballhog, now he's an Admitted Ballhog.

He's trouble waiting to happen, in more ways than one. The Pacers could get an awful lot for him.

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Someone said it best. He speaks from the heart. He seems to understand how to play as a team, and seems to be a decent guy (you know, not a blatant jackass). But he is emotional and he doesn't have the filter other people do. So what he says may come out wrong.

Stryder
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
"I want the ball more, so I've got to prove myself," he said. "Obviously we couldn't score the ball at the end. So I blame myself. I still have a lot to prove to people."

He's trouble waiting to happen, in more ways than one. The Pacers could get an awful lot for him.

There's nothing wrong with being honest.

Nothing bad here.

Hicks
06-03-2004, 12:03 PM
So he's an honest ballhog. He's still a ballhog at the worst times. Yes, he can and does play team ball. But that doesn't mean he won't go off on tangents looking to play "Kobe".

Doug
06-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Ron hasn't learned yet that you don't need the ball in your hands to step up. He seems to feel that to "put the team on his shoulders" he has to have the ball in his hands and go one-on-x.

Maturity. It will come. He's come a long way this year. Hopefully he'll continue down that path.

I think he'll always be "high maitanence", though.

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
So he's an honest ballhog. He's still a ballhog at the worst times. Yes, he can and does play team ball. But that doesn't mean he won't go off on tangents looking to play "Kobe".

Ron's ballhog mentality can not be compared to the most hogballing of all ballhogs.

Ron ballhogs at times because the play is to get the ball to Jermaine, but Jermaine is pushed almost to the 3-point line. No one else on the pacers can create as effectively off the dribble as Ron, so he has to do it. I know he does weak stuff like pull from 40 ft. But Ron is not a Kobe.

MSA2CF
06-03-2004, 12:16 PM

First off, I agree with what Doug said.

Also, hogging the ball in the biggest game of the year at the most crucial points in the game is not the time for you to begin "proving" yourself. If you wanted to do that, you could have waited until game 7 or the Finals, or even wait until NEXT year....I don't get why he decided it was his time to "shine."

TheSauceMaster
06-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Hmm , I don't blame him sometimes as no one else seems to wanna play ball , look back at theHeat series if Ron Artest doesn't put us on his Back , we Lose to the Heat in Round 2 and Yes I just said we would have lost Round 2 Without Ron Artest and Him Being Argressive with the Round Ball.

Bball
06-03-2004, 12:22 PM

Is he wanting the ball more to take shots or distribute it?

Considering some of his shots I guess he wants it to shoot more....

-Bball

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Is he wanting the ball more to take shots or distribute it?

Considering some of his shots I guess he wants it to shoot more....

-Bball

Every interview of him about this, he wants the ball in a certain place. He seems to be getting the ball at the end of shot clocks or in a place where we has to get by a few people. I think he likes to be isolated with the ball or have a pick. But yes, he definitely wants the bal more.

Unclebuck
06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
I addressed this in a thread I just started, about what it takes to be a good playoff team. I don't think Ron is selfish, he does not care about being on Sportscenter, but he thinks he can score on anyone, and for the most part he can until the Pistons came along. Ron is only 24 yrs old, it is not uncommon for young players to think they have to do it all. He just has to learn to trust his teammates. Kobe has the same problems. Michael had the same problems until he was about 28 years old.

No I am not comparing Ron's offense to Kobe or MJ, just pointing out that even two of the best offensive players ever think they can win the game by themelves at a young age

Edit: Bball, I think Ron is mor than willing to create a shot for someone else. But he liks to create it himself ad I have not seen any reluctance to pass when he does. But he does seem reluctant at times to "run the play" as called, he would rather go off on his own, and create a shot for the team. Sometimes you need a player able to do that

MagicRat
06-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I addressed this in a thread I just started, about what it takes to be a good playoff team. I don't think Ron is selfish, he does not care about being on Sportscenter, but he thinks he can score on anyone, and for the most part he can until the Pistons came along. Ron is only 24 yrs old, it is not uncommon for young players to think they have to do it all. He just has to learn to trust his teammates. Kobe has the same problems. Michael had the same problems until he was about 28 years old.

No I am not comparing Ron's offense to Kobe or MJ, just pointing out that even two of the best offensive players ever think they can win the game by themelves at a young age

"You know how I can dominate." - Ron Artest to Mark Boyle during a post-game interview late this season.

BillS
06-03-2004, 03:18 PM
So, help me understand this.

Reggie doesn't seem to want to shoot the ball in critical game situations - "Bad Reggie go away we don't want you no more, boo!"

Ron wants to shoot the ball more in critical game situations - "Bad Ron go away we don't want you no more, boo!"

Anybody else remember the Great Satan, Derrick "I got offense but I don't have to use it" McKey?

At this point, any player willing to try to take over a horrible offensive game is a positive thing. Let him get some more chances to take over and he'll learn what he can and can't do.

God grief, guys, it isn't like someone else was shooting 90% and Ronnie hogged the ball so he could get the limelight, is it?

Hicks
06-03-2004, 03:19 PM
BillS, if Ronnie had Reggie's offensive talent, I'd want him to try to take over the game. But he doesn't.

BillS
06-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I understand there is a quality comparison there, but before the season who would have thought Ron had any real offensive skills at all - he had always been thought of as a defensive only player.

I think Ron has Reggie's work ethic, and he'll work on his offense this summer like mad to make sure something like the Detroit series doesn't happen to him again.

And at this point, if everyone is shooting for crap, someone trying to step up is what we need, even if it is someone unexpected.

I wish I had some interns available to analyze game film. I'd really like to know - Ron's talk aside - just how many times total he took an ill-advised shot when a clearly open pass to a teammate with an open look (or even a high-percentage shot)(yeah, right - in this series? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) and time on the shot clock was available.

I'll bet there were a few - sometimes you do look for you own shot first, nothing wrong with that in a PG, much less an SF - but I'll bet it doesn't fall anywhere into the definition of even one of the most recent ballhogs, Travis "Black Hole" Best"

And then, I'd like to see the same analysis on Reggie (that'd be easy, not many shots), JO (Post? What Post?), and Tinsley.

I really don't think there'd be that much difference. The whole offense was fouled up, not just one guy.

Hicks
06-03-2004, 03:39 PM
BillS, if you really want to look, Games 1-4 of this series are on able's ftp server, and Games 5-6 will be up within the week.

Steveman
06-03-2004, 03:46 PM
"an elbow for an elbow" ... Ron on the flagrant foul, he then added, "they (Detroit) just wanted it more".

No remorse, takes no blame. He could have shown me a lot by taking responsibility, but this guy is just plain nuts and has zero basketball IQ. We need to move him to improve.

LAPacer
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
BillS, I really liked your last two posts on this thread.

Mourning
06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Me too. I fully aggree!

Regards,

Mourning :cool: