PDA

View Full Version : Great article on the state of officiating in the NBA

waterjater
06-03-2004, 01:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/phil_taylor/06/01/nba.referees/index.html

It is on CNNSI.com

Water

bulletproof
06-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Good article, but not tough enough. Officiating in the NBA is borderline criminal.

able
06-03-2004, 05:22 AM
A very poorly written article, with all the wrong examples, in a time where far better and hotter examples are available (how many on shaq?).

Essentialy this article is right, but If you write on a topic of such magnitude, you don't start by defending the refs. that is the backwards way of doing things.

The lenght of the playoffs has nothing to do with the officiating and the capability of players hitting outside shots has little to do with refereeing as well.

Nice filler for someone who had to turn in a thousand words, but that's all.

More problematic on the "allowed" contact is the consequence of that contact.
See Tins, see JO, hard fouls lead to bad injuries.
By allowing undercutting, you risk very grave injuries to star players, by allowing the footblock Ben made on Tins, you allow a player to "take out" another player.

I am not a good writer, but am sure that I could write a far better article then this.

bulletproof
06-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Nice filler for someone who had to turn in a thousand words, but that's all.

Well put. It truly seems that sportswriters turn a blind eye to this problem. But then sportswriting isn't known for its hard-hitting journalism. The only person I can think of who speaks his mind on the subject is Cuban, and he gets hit with a fine everytime he opens his mouth.

BillS
06-03-2004, 09:32 AM
After their initial shock at the flurry of whistles stopping play, the players would surely adjust and the league would probably have a more entertaining product. It would certainly have a fairer one.

Amen to this.