PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD is dead

Lord Helmet
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/16/toshiba-pulls-hd-dvd-support-blu-ray-wins/

Hooray for me! I just got an HD-DVD player for my 360 this past Chirstmas!

Kegboy
02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I always planned on getting a PS3 eventually. Hopefully they'll come down in price again.

Shade
02-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Suck it, Toshiba! :tongue:

James Bond
02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
And now I can finally say it..

TOLD YA SO!
:p

tora tora
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM
R.I.P.

Naptown_Seth
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Yep, the word is everywhere that Tosh is punting. They already lost Netflix and Walmart which made the WB move pretty final IMO.

Hey good news, the Blu-Ray spec almost is up to the HD-DVD standard. I mean first they finally added the motion menu/PIP extras support, next up is downloadable content. It only took them a few years longer than HD-DVD.

And that's exactly why it's stupid to be happy to see someone "win" the war, especially the side that's been dropping the ball from the start despite having everything in it's corner to win (technology, key studios, PS3 platform). It really does bother me that it took the BR efforts this long to outperform HD-DVD.

Personally I'll probably use the slashing market to pick up another player for my other room and some cheap software. 1080p is 1080p.

Anthem
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
It's a sad day for consumers when Sony wins a format war. This will just encourage them in the future.

dohman
02-18-2008, 12:26 PM
And now I can finally say it..

TOLD YA SO!
:p

I'm glad you could tell us that a overpriced format with half the features would win.

The announcement from Toshiba really was a bad day for consumers and the future of HD media.

As far as everyone that bought HD DVD players pick up on all the great deals. Alot of content is going to be very cheap here very soon. like seth said 1080p is 1080p.

PS. Please don't try to call me a HD DVD fan because I own both formats 3 times over.

Kstat
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
sad indeed. I loved my HD-DVD movies so much more. Heroes and Transformers were both incredible, cheap purchases.

I don't think the blu ray owners have a single idea what an HD-DVD movie even looks like. They're just happy because they own PS3s.

I own both BR and HD-DVD players/movies. Trust me, the better format lost.

Good luck finding an HD movie priced under $30 now that Sony has their monopoly. We'll see how happy you people are in 2-3 years.

Hicks
02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
They won't stay that expensive. The reason being is that they are now in competition with not HD-DVD, but regular DVD. The next battle is convincing people to convert. Lowering the price to compete with DVD price will be part of that battle. It'll be just like how DVD prices went down even when VHS wasn't dead.

dohman
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
They won't stay that expensive. The reason being is that they are now in competition with not HD-DVD, but regular DVD. The next battle is convincing people to convert. Lowering the price to compete with DVD price will be part of that battle. It'll be just like how DVD prices went down even when VHS wasn't dead.

Sorry Mal but that is not going to happen. Dvd prices started at 20-25 a disc for new releases and are still 20-25 dollars for a new release.

Blu Ray movies cost more money to make and will continue to be around the 25-30 dollar price point. I actually see them going up more than going down with the way everything is going up.

HD DVD had a superior technology with the ability to produce the discs at a cheaper cost. They could of had their media from the 15-25 dollar range. They also had the ability to produce players that were quite a bit cheaper and understood that not everyone wanted 1080p. Next gen dvd isnt about 1080p, its about HD.

With this choice by the industry I actually see online downloading becoming the winner over the next 5 years. Companies like apple are all ready getting into the HD movie scene and coming out with terabyte harddrives that are affordable. I personally would rather have all my media stored on a network media drive that I can access easily from any tv in my home.

Kstat
02-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Exactly. Blu Ray might actually kill the physical media industry for good.

Hicks
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I just looked on Amazon.com, and most of their blu-rays advertised on the front blu-ray page were typically about $25.

Bball
02-18-2008, 09:45 PM

...Unless they want to force the issue and the studios phase out regular DVD's so that they don't compete with HD DVD...

...Or just raise the price of regular DVD's to be comparable to HD DVD's to drive consumers that way and then phase out the regular DVD's...

-Bball

Kstat
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
...Unless they want to force the issue and the studios phase out regular DVD's so that they don't compete with HD DVD...

...Or just raise the price of regular DVD's to be comparable to HD DVD's to drive consumers that way and then phase out the regular DVD's...

-Bball

Both things they did with VHS....

Shade
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry Mal but that is not going to happen. Dvd prices started at 20-25 a disc for new releases and are still 20-25 dollars for a new release.

Blu Ray movies cost more money to make and will continue to be around the 25-30 dollar price point. I actually see them going up more than going down with the way everything is going up.

HD DVD had a superior technology with the ability to produce the discs at a cheaper cost. They could of had their media from the 15-25 dollar range. They also had the ability to produce players that were quite a bit cheaper and understood that not everyone wanted 1080p. Next gen dvd isnt about 1080p, its about HD.

With this choice by the industry I actually see online downloading becoming the winner over the next 5 years. Companies like apple are all ready getting into the HD movie scene and coming out with terabyte harddrives that are affordable. I personally would rather have all my media stored on a network media drive that I can access easily from any tv in my home.

If you're paying 20-25 bucks a pop for standard DVDs, you're shopping in the wrong place.

I own 10 Blu-Rays and have paid less than 20 bucks for each...some less than 15.

But, yeah, eventually everything will just be digital and available via download. But not quite yet.

dohman
02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
If you're paying 20-25 bucks a pop for standard DVDs, you're shopping in the wrong place.

I own 10 Blu-Rays and have paid less than 20 bucks for each...some less than 15.

But, yeah, eventually everything will just be digital and available via download. But not quite yet.

apple will own the HD market. mark my words on it. may not be within the next 2 years, but they allready have their hands in it and everyone loves apple.

RWB
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I just looked on Amazon.com, and most of their blu-rays advertised on the front blu-ray page were typically about $25.

You and I shop at Amazon, your average J6P doesn't and Joe is needed if blu or hd dvd for that matter was to have a chance.

Put me in the prefered HD dvd side, but covered my bets by also having a blu player as well. Though the blu I have is only profile 1.0

tora tora
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Don't buy Blu Ray movies in retail stores, they're always overpriced. Buy them from deepdiscountdvd.com, -free shipping-. I buy from that site on a regular basis, blu rays average around 25 dollars sometimes cheaper. Check it!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Blu-ray_stcVVcatId462363VVviewcat.htm

Los Angeles
02-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Blue Rays are limited in features because they did not own the patents to the features in HD DVD. Now that HD DVDs are going down, the technology will be cheap to license and put on Blue Ray discs. That's how the technology world works.

Anthem
02-19-2008, 03:18 AM
They won't stay that expensive.
It's SONY. The company that still insists on using Memory Stick Micro.

If Sony likes a physical or electronic format, it's bad for consumers. A truism that lasts decades.

MagicRat
02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm assuming if it had gone the other way everybody would be complaining about Microsoft.....:whoknows:

Hicks
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Alien vs. Predator
bluray vs. HDDVD

Same catch phrase: No matter who wins, we lose.

Apparently.

Excuse me while I throw myself out of a high-rise in despair.

Kstat
02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm assuming if it had gone the other way everybody would be complaining about Microsoft.....:whoknows:

Except Microsoft does not own HD-DVD. Toshiba does.

That, and the HD-DVDs were both (A) much more developed and (B) cheaper and easier to manufacture.

Hicks
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
During the "war", I'd read and heard multiple times that bluray had the superior technology. Anyone care to explain that?

Secondly, I think Los Angeles is correct in that now bluray will "borrow" the things that made HDDVD unique.

Kstat
02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
it had superior disc space, which has not yet been utilized in 3 years. That was it.

travmil
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Superior space is also the reason VHS beat beta. Some lowly engineer figured out that you could slow down VHS tape speed and fit 8 hours on a cassette instead of 2. Beta figued out a way to increase their capacity as well, but it was too late.

dohman
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
it had superior disc space, which has not yet been utilized in 3 years. That was it.

Not ture. HDDVD could be doubled layered and give you over 50gigs of space.

Not that even CLOSE to that is needed though. You could fit two movies on that space with 1080p and a Dolby TrueHD track.

travmil
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Not ture. HDDVD could be doubled layered and give you over 50gigs of space.

Not that even CLOSE to that is needed though. You could fit two movies on that space with 1080p and a Dolby TrueHD track.

While what you're saying is true (actuall HD-DVD is capable of 60 Gig) I don't see how you can say that Blu Ray doesn't have an advantage in storage space. Blu Ray can store 50 Gig without layering. With layering, Hatachi developed a dual layered dual sided disc, 25 Gig per layer, for 100 Gig total, and is currently rumored to be working on more layers and more space. TDK developed a working six layer disc with six layers 33 Gig each, for a total of 198 Gig. While HD-DVD had some advantages, storage space wasn't one of them, and it wasn't even close. Also, everyone knows that amount of space isn't needed, currently.

RWB
02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Just a heads up it appears Hollywood Video is clearing out all of their HD dvd stock and you might be able to get some pretty good deals on previously viewed HD on the cheap.

RWB
02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Wanted to bump this one final time. Mrs. RWB and I went a little crazy Friday and spent a little over $381 dollars on HD movies, but we walked away with 37 total. This included the Blade Runner 5 disc set ($10 bucks), American Gangster ($10 bucks) and on and on. The cheapest you can find many of the movies we picked up are on Amazon at $26 to $27 bucks each. PD brothers and sisters I can't stess enough if you have an HD player it is so worth your time.

Naptown_Seth
03-02-2008, 02:07 AM
While what you're saying is true (actuall HD-DVD is capable of 60 Gig) I don't see how you can say that Blu Ray doesn't have an advantage in storage space. Blu Ray can store 50 Gig without layering. With layering, Hatachi developed a dual layered dual sided disc, 25 Gig per layer, for 100 Gig total, and is currently rumored to be working on more layers and more space. TDK developed a working six layer disc with six layers 33 Gig each, for a total of 198 Gig. While HD-DVD had some advantages, storage space wasn't one of them, and it wasn't even close. Also, everyone knows that amount of space isn't needed, currently.
When we saw the Sony pitch on BR back in 2003 they were talking at least 10 layers as a goal even then. Yeah, space was their key factor from day 1. As most people have said, until they figure out how they want to use and market the space it's a moot point.

I went ahead and got a cheap A30 and some $12 discs. The $400 tag for even a decent BR player with $25+ films and questionable player quality in general has me still waiting out the BR side.

RWB, guess I'll swing by one myself and see what they have left.