PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Joe D. for a min.

Peck
06-02-2004, 11:06 PM
In reality, is Joe Dumars the best G.M. in the N.B.A.?

Look at what he has done is a short short time. Three E.C. finals apperances. One W.C. apperance.

He's made moves to lose a star (Grant Hill) & he's made a move to get a star (Rasheed Wallace).

He does not stand pat at any point in time. They won a lot of games last season & he still get's a new coach, a new star & a new bench.

I am not putting down anyone else, I am just saying that if you look at what he has done with what he has had to work with you have to admit that if he's not the best he is one of the best.

Does anybody disagree?

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 11:14 PM
You can't disagree I think he made the Play for rasheed that clearly set them up for a championship run this year.

It was a smart move and it paid off , but if you wanna look at the other side of the coin if we didn't have 2 critical injures , this series could have easily went our way.

Bball
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
If you read my "Post Mortem" and in particular my section "What worries me..." you'll see I certainly agree about Dumars.

-Bball

Will Galen
06-03-2004, 01:30 AM
[quote="Peck"]In reality, is Joe Dumars the best G.M. in the N.B.A.?

I would say he's one of the best, but like anything he's only as good as his last move and it was great!

Look at what he has done is a short short time. Three E.C. finals apperances. One W.C. apperance.

One W.C. apperance?

He does not stand pat at any point in time. They won a lot of games last season & he still get's a new coach, a new star & a new bench.

I wouldn't give him props for getting a new coach. I think that was forced on him by the owner. And I don't think he would have been forced to get a new coach if Larry Brown had not been available. I only think you should get props for outstanding work, not something that turned out to be a no brainer.

Anthem
06-03-2004, 01:57 AM

Kiki's better. But yeah, Joe D is up there.

It will be interesting, though, to see what happens now that Brown is on board. Two guys that love to make changes? We'll see. I really like a team to have some consistency... It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of the Pistons starting lineup gets moved in the next two years. If it wins him a championship, great. But if not, then what?

Kstat
06-03-2004, 02:11 AM

It will be interesting, though, to see what happens now that Brown is on board. Two guys that love to make changes? We'll see. I really like a team to have some consistency... It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of the Pistons starting lineup gets moved in the next two years. If it wins him a championship, great. But if not, then what?

I'd rather be pro-active and fail rather than fail because I stayed pat too long.

Anyway, I fully expect Rasheed to be here in 2 years. He's the kind of talent you win championships with. I also expect Big Ben to be on the team. He's the face of the franchise, and unless the Pistons dont want fans bailing on them, they won't bail on Big Ben.

As for Rip, unless Kobe or TMac is suiting up at SG for Detroit in the future, Rip DAMNWELL be here for the long run.

That leaves Chauncey and Prince.

I exect Prince to be a backup or on another team when we win the title. I love the kid, but he has the offensive mentality of a 6th man.

Billups I could see being traded for a true floor general, but ONLY if there's more scoring on the team at that time. A great passer wont mean a hill of beans if there's nobody to pass TO.

A great deal hinges on Darko Milicic. He's got more pure potential than anyone on the team. A legit NBA center with all the physical gifts you can ask for. At least all signs point to Darko being the 6th or 7th man next year. Ben Wallace is his biggest fan, so I'll take Ben's word that Darko will be ready to play in 2005.

Anthem
06-03-2004, 02:20 AM

I'd rather be pro-active and fail rather than fail because I stayed pat too long.

I'd rather not fail. :devil:

We'll see what happens. I just want this thread archived somewhere safe.

Peck
06-03-2004, 02:30 AM
[quote]In reality, is Joe Dumars the best G.M. in the N.B.A.?

I would say he's one of the best, but like anything he's only as good as his last move and it was great!

One W.C. apperance?

I wouldn't give him props for getting a new coach. I think that was forced on him by the owner. And I don't think he would have been forced to get a new coach if Larry Brown had not been available. I only think you should get props for outstanding work, not something that turned out to be a no brainer.

World Championship.

Bball
06-11-2004, 01:27 AM
I hope all of Detroit realizes just what they have in Joe Dumars as GM.

-Bball

Hicks
06-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Everyone keeps saying three ECFs. It's two. Not to take away from the Pistons, just don't go overboard. They lost in the 2nd round Rick's first year.

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 01:35 AM

He's made moves to lose a star (Grant Hill) & he's made a move to get a star (Rasheed Wallace). Let's not forget Stackhouse for Rip either!

I am not putting down anyone else, I am just saying that if you look at what he has done with what he has had to work with you have to admit that if he's not the best he is one of the best.
Does anybody disagree?

He's certainly done well. It will be interesting to see what rabbits Bird pulls out of his hat once he has free rein. But I agree, I really like what Kiki accomplishes.

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Everyone keeps saying three ECFs. It's two. Not to take away from the Pistons, just don't go overboard. They lost in the 2nd round Rick's first year.

Next year, baby. Next year. ;)