PDA

View Full Version : Intresting Trade Rumor

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 12:29 PM
The deal: Orlando's No. 1 pick and point guard Reece Gaines to Indiana for the No. 29 pick and power forward Al Harrington.

Why it makes sense: Harrington has been aching for years to get off the Indiana bench, but will never do so as long as Jermaine O'Neal is there. He could be a star given the right opportunity. He's tough, athletic and super confident. Okafor could do for the Pacers what Ben Wallace is doing for the Pistons. His arrival would take some of the pressure off O'Neal and he could be a shot-blocking demon from the weakside.

Why it doesn't make sense: Harrington is a bit of a tweener. Some GMs can't decide if he's better suited playing power forward or small forward. And he is much better on the offensive end than he is on the defensive end. And that's not good news for a Magic team that was dreadful defensively last season.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0602MAGIC.htm

If they are willing to give so much for AL , I would Jump on it HARD :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I might feel like we raped them if we got that deal

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Seems too much in favor for the Pacers. I LIKE IT.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Seems too much in favor for the Pacers. I LIKE IT.

does seem like alot for so little , but I think the thing that seems obvious is Tmac isn't available

"And, for now at least, McGrady is off limits in the trade talks."

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
In a heartbeat....just to watch the Piston fans pee down their legs...
:laugh: j/k Kstat

Uh Harrington USED to be a defensive demon, it was that that made him a fan fav until he decided he'd rather score. Perhaps he could get back to that with a change of climate.

But #1 for Harrington??? We only got a #5 for Antonio Davis fer cryin out loud....grab it!

Hicks
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
If they're dumb enough to do it, we have to say yes. Al for Okafur? Uhhh, YEAH.

LAPacer
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
SHHHHH.. they might be reading this board.

Snickers
06-02-2004, 12:49 PM
:o Okafor and O'neal in the paint??

"Oh-Oh!!"

I'd do it. Al is a great guy to have, but I think Okafor is going to be huge in this league.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I think he will be great too , so if we get this deal I would be disappointed if we didn't jump on it , I don't think your gonna find another team offer such a Deal for AL , not saying the Magic would go through with it ..but I would hope we seriously consider this deal if it comes our way.

Bball
06-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Why would Orlando have to throw anyone in the deal?

This deal is way too lopsided to be true IMHO.

What is it a smokescreen for? Assuming it was floated by someone in the loop and not created by a sportswriter, it must be a smokescreen or trial balloon.

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:14 PM
PacerMan , Dont Kill the Messanger , That was all from the article , none of my comments ...so please don't yelll at me :laugh:

Snickers
06-02-2004, 01:27 PM
How far under the cap are the Magic? Al's salary for a pick would eat up a good chunk of whatever space they have.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:30 PM
actually there salray for this year was almost 10k cheaper than ours

Tmac and Grant hill take up more than 50% of there salray

and ours goes up even more next year 62,838,428

that;s not couting Brewer , Kenny Anderson and James Jones , who are all free agents this next year. I realize we wont resign kenny but we have to replace him.

Snickers
06-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Hmm.... seems like they'd try to make other moves before this deal could be made. Still don't see it happening, if only because it's too good for us. :neutral:

ABADays
06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Any GM that would trade the chance to get Okafor should lose his job immediately. He will do for the Orlando franchise what Robinson did for San Antonio. Solid citizen - great for the community.

Snickers
06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Any GM that would trade the chance to Okafor should lose his job immediately. He will do for the Orlando franchise what Robinson did for San Antonio. Solid citizen - great for the community.

It's sad because it's true. We won't get him. :(

But man, it sure would be nice if we did. He's gonna be something special.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Any GM that would trade the chance to Okafor should lose his job immediately. He will do for the Orlando franchise what Robinson did for San Antonio. Solid citizen - great for the community.

It wouldn't be Orlando's first Bone Head Move

Remember this ?

Magic in 1993, the year Orlando sent the top overall pick (Chris Webber) to Golden State for the No. 3 pick (Penny Hardaway) and three future first-rounders.

Suaveness
06-02-2004, 01:42 PM

Remember this ?

Magic in 1993, the year Orlando sent the top overall pick (Chris Webber) to Golden State for the No. 3 pick (Penny Hardaway) and three future first-rounders.

Actually, that looks like a good move....who did they get with those 3 first rounders?

Snickers
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Remember this ?

Penny was pretty darn good for quite a while. They have let some extremely good players get away though [though not all their fault].

indytoad
06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Looking at all the trades in that article, I'm suprised how lopsided they are against the Magic, except maybe the first two. Looks like it's just a writer coming up with as many ideas has he can; doubt there's much truth to any of them.

IndyToad
No late fees

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Looking at all the trades in that article, I'm suprised how lopsided they are against the Magic, except maybe the first two. Looks like it's just a writer coming up with as many ideas has he can; doubt there's much truth to any of them.

IndyToad
No late fees

Maybe that's why there called Trade Rumors ??? How many ever end up happening when it all comes down to it ? not many ;)

sweabs
06-02-2004, 01:57 PM
The Pau Gasol one is just absurd IMO.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
The Rasheed Trade wasn't absurd ?

sweabs
06-02-2004, 01:59 PM
The Rasheed Trade wasn't absurd ?

:puke: Don't remind me. I guess stranger things have happened :neutral: .

Tom White
06-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Read the article. It's just those guys imaginations at work. Nothing legit.

Dukins
06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Orlando would have to have a hole in the head to make a trade that lopsided. hey i wouldnt pass up the opportunity though, with the number one pick in the draft no doubt it would be immediate help no matter what position. Unless we take another scrub from a country we never heard of before. :unimpressed:

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM
about AL/Okafor

What about Okafor's back probs? He is totally unproven (in the nba at least), and we all know AL can be a 18/8 guy starting easy. It doesn't seem so lopsided towards Indy IMO.

SpADeD
06-02-2004, 02:09 PM
What can Okafor do in terms of "presence" and blocking ability that Bender can't do right now? We need another scorer.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
What can Okafor do in terms of "presence" and blocking ability that Bender can't do right now? We need another scorer.

Maybe he can not be the King of IL like Bender in his first 5 years

ABADays
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
about AL/Okafor

What about Okafor's back probs? He is totally unproven (in the nba at least), and we all know AL can be a 18/8 guy starting easy. It doesn't seem so lopsided towards Indy IMO.

Well that may be true. Orlando won't be making it to the playoffs for a while so they wouldn't have to worry about Al disappearing.

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:12 PM

or maybe he can, remember NCAA season is alot shorter, and Okafor was injured alot.

Dukins
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
No one says we have to take Okafor as #1, but it would be a great 1-2 punch on the frontline. We can pick up a shooting guard via free agency.

SpADeD
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM

or maybe he can, remember NCAA season is alot shorter, and Okafor was injured alot.

Yep, was just about to post that. Okafor is just as injury prone as Bender is at the moment.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM

maybe so but bender has made a nice fat salray for being a IL King

I wouldn't mind making 5,680,000 this year for mostly bench time and bender only gets richer next year

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Orlando wants to keep Tmac.. Tmac has already said Okafor aint gonna make him stay. He wants proven talent which AL is.
Just cause Okafor is projected #1 in the draft doesnt make him a better player than AL, not only that, it is a weak draft. too bad this couldnt have happened in last years draft =/

I have serious doubts about Okafor being better than AL is at least for a few years. But AL needs to get his time in the spotlight, and that's probably the best offer pacers will get. It would suck to see him leave though :( AL is one of my all time favorites

diego
06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Ok. First of all Okeafor and Al are not the same type of player at all. Okeafor may be similar in size but he is much more physical. Hell Ben Wallace and Harringotn are close in size but they definitely are not the same. Okeafor would be a much better rebounder and defender than Al could ever dream of.

I love Al too, but at some point you have to be concerned about the inconsistency in his game. While some here say we dont need to draft a young player again because the time is now...remember the time should be for awhile. All our players are young and are signed long term. Plus if you have a chance to get a stud low post presence, yout ake it, especially if it may only cost a bench player. Also i am not so sure Reece gaines could not come in and provide that shooter, defensive guard we need.

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Honestly, I dont get the Conneticut Huskie basketball season feed on TV. All I know about Okafor is what I saw in the Tourney. That is not enough knowledge for me to make a critical judgement on his game. Definately not enough info for me to want to give up AL for him.

diego
06-02-2004, 02:37 PM
What has Al done that makes him so great. And did you watch the NCAA tourney he dominated it much liek Anthony the year before. There is a reason he was the best player in college bball last year. I did watch many Huskie games and all fo the tournament and read all the articles and the kid is good.

Look if we were talking a starter here or someone that scores 20ppg, then no. But Al scored 13 a game and disappeared in playoffs again. I think sometimes we overvalue our own due to selfish loyalty. I love Al and he is my favorite player but he has done nothing to prove to me he is that good.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
your better than me Burtem , I can't think of a players I wouldn't trade AL off for if it will help us get someone we need.

I hope everyone values al like you burtrem cause if they do we could get a gravy deal for trading him. I have seen AL whine and pout more and more and especially this last season , but he get's to start last night and gives a whole 4 point effort ..WOW impress me

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Diego,

AL is your favorite player but he has done nothing to prove to you that he is good huh? =/

gimme a break, do you read the stuff you are posting?

Arcadian
06-02-2004, 02:42 PM
I believe the writer is just throwing ideas out there. I doubt Al would get a number 1 draft pick and if he did we'd have to take it.

I don't think Orlando is going trade their pick. My guess is that they are going to trade Tracy, draft Howard and rebuild from there.

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:44 PM
your better than me Burtem , I can't think of a players I wouldn't trade AL off for if it will help us get someone we need.

I hope everyone values al like you burtrem cause if they do we could get a gravy deal for trading him. I have seen AL whine and pout more and more and especially this last season , but he get's to start last night and gives a whole 4 point effort ..WOW impress me

hey read my post above. I admitted the top pick is probably the best deal we are gonna get for AL. Some are calling out Orlando as totally stupid to even think about it, I think that is off base. Just trying to show the other side proven vs unproven. It isnt very lopsided

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
okay , thanks for explaining ..I was misreading you.
:blush:

PaceBalls
06-02-2004, 02:47 PM
hehe s'all good sport ;)

diego
06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Diego,

AL is your favorite player but he has done nothing to prove to you that he is good huh? =/

gimme a break, do you read the stuff you are posting?

He is my favorite player because of reasons like his interaction with me in person one time. Because i have his autograph, stuff like that. It would only be better if he was a legit star. So **** off.

diego
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
funny i could say the same for you....did you actually think about your post before you said Okeafor did nothing in tourney to sway you on his abilities. Gimme a break.

Shade
06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
LOL, this is an ultimate no-brainer.

Shade
06-02-2004, 06:24 PM
That's two possible scenarios now with Orlando showing interest in Al. Must be something to it.

Grant
06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
The only way this makes sense to me is that McGrady wants assurances that the team will be improving itself right away. If they have to wait for someone to develop, he may skip the rebuilding and go west.

So the Magic might be shopping the #1 pick in hopes of getting a proven commodity that could help right away.

Its a pretty weak arguement IMO. I don't think they would trade a #1 pick for Harrington.

Suaveness
06-03-2004, 10:18 AM
This would never happen. And if we got the number 1 pick, I say trade it. Maybe Redd? Or Allen/Murray? Or whoever.

indygeezer
06-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Question

What Position does Al play...what about Omeka? What position is overstocked? Who is Omeka going to cause to sit? Aren't we already in THAT delima???

Suaveness
06-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Question

What Position does Al play...what about Omeka? What position is overstocked? Who is Omeka going to cause to sit? Aren't we already in THAT delima???

I assume people here are thinking JO would play C and Omeka play PF. And that really isn't a good idea in my opinion.

indygeezer
06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Question

I assume people here are thinking JO would play C and Omeka play PF. And that really isn't a good idea in my opinion.

No, it is not a good idea.

Hicks
06-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I thought Omeka was a center...

indygeezer
06-03-2004, 05:14 PM

NBADraftnet list him as a 6'9" PF.

Could I possibly be wrong????

Ultimate Frisbee
06-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Emeka is definently a PF

wintermute
06-05-2004, 05:02 AM

NBADraftnet list him as a 6'9" PF.

Could I possibly be wrong????

does a couple of inches matter that much? the point is, emeka plays like a center defensively, with his great shotblocking and rebounding. mourning was a 6'10'' center. and of course you know ben wallace.

sizewise, i would guess that okafor is only slightly bigger than al, but their games are very different.

TMJ31
06-05-2004, 06:57 AM
What about drafting that other guy, I think hes a high schooler, but people are really high on him.. Howard I think is his name (sorry I dont follow pre-draft till about 2 days before it, lol)

I havent seen Okafor play too much, but i just dont have a good gut feel for him on this team, perhaps i could be wrong

sweabs
06-05-2004, 10:14 AM
What about drafting that other guy, I think hes a high schooler, but people are really high on him.. Howard I think is his name (sorry I dont follow pre-draft till about 2 days before it, lol)

I havent seen Okafor play too much, but i just dont have a good gut feel for him on this team, perhaps i could be wrong

Yup - his name is Dwight Howard, and apparently there is some talk that he might even go as the first pick over Okafor. Orlando is still checking him out. I've never seen the kid play though, but he's pretty versatile from what I hear.

Cactus Jax
06-05-2004, 12:35 PM
How about this possible deal, although it depends on how much the Warriors want the #1 pick, and I just created this off the top of my head.

Pacers Trade:

Al Harrington
Scot Pollard
Fred Jones

Pacers Get:

Jason Richardson
Erick Dampier

Warriors Trade:

Jason Richardson
Erick Dampier
#11 Pick(?)

Warriors Get:

Fred Jones
#1 Pick(Okafor)
Scot Pollard

Orlando Trades:

#1 Pick(Okafor)

Orlando Gets:

Al Harrington
#11 Pick(?)

Why the Pacers do it: They get the 2 guard, and the center they're looking for in one trade. All they give up are three reserves, that while Freddie is great, could be replaced by Reggie in the near future off the bench, and in the long term by someone else.

Why the Warriors do it: This is the toughest sell to make. It all depends on if they want Okafor or not for the future. I would guess they would since Dampier is gone, who knows about Foyle, and Murphy was injured most of last season. Richardson is expendable with Pietrus ready to start there, and Freddie also there.

Why the Magic do it: They get a guy in Al Harrington who can contribute immediately, and also the #11 which can get a solid payer or prospect at any position.

Why this deal gets broken: Well since this trade couldn't get done till after the draft, it would rely on both Orlando and GS wanting the other team's picked player. Also, Orlando is probably looking for more for Al, and GS would probably feel they're not getting enough, while Larry Bird gets all pissed off and throws things.

The salaries I'm sure aren't equal, so that would obiously kill the deal as well, this was just a proposal.

Hoop
06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Question

No, it is not a good idea.

Why? JO played center 75% of the time anyway. Jeff guarded the other teams PF most of the time. Really, what the heck is the difference in PF and C in the NBA these days (besides Shaq), most every team mixes and matches these 2 positions for the best match up depending on what team they are playing.

SkipperZ
06-05-2004, 10:00 PM
If we get the number 1, we should trade down to get Livingston.

I like Okafor and Dwight Howard's games, but they dont address our primary needs.

Livingston would be able to contribute immediately as a backup combo guard, and would be able to either replace reggie or make tinsley expendable in the future.

I'm one of those that love tinsley, being a ny guy, and have loved him since we drafted him, but Livingston is one of those special talents you dont let get away if you have the chance.