PDA

View Full Version : The Season is Over... Are you Content?

Anthem
06-02-2004, 02:35 AM
I don't mean happy, since nobody's expected to be happy after a loss. But content? Maybe.

I said before the season that I wanted 55 wins and a deep playoff run. Once I saw the brackets form, I liked our chances aganst anybody out west if we got past the Pistons. We got 61 wins and a game 6 of the ECF. There's a lot of teams that would kill for that.

The following things make me happy:

1. Every single player in our rotation gained meaningful playoff experience that they didn't have before. Foster, JO, Artest, Tinsley, Harrington, Bender, and Fred Jones had their best playoff game ever. Part of the reason the Pistons won (besides Rip Hamilton) was the amount of playoff experience that they had. They were the better team because they didn't get ruffled, they just went and did their thing. If the Pacers had that kind of steadfastness (and it's an experience thing, not a talent or coaching thing), we would have blown this series open. Next year we'll have more than we had this year.

2. There's no way to sugar-coat it... our backcourt needs an upgrade. We all love Reggie, but the fact that he's been around has discouraged (prevented?) management from fixing up the starting SG spot. There literally wasn't a team in the playoffs that got less out of their starting SG than the Pacers. Donnie and Bird now HAVE to make a change.

3. We have a rivalry again. Not too much more to say about that one, but man it's nice to have an enemy. And if the guy happens to smell like weed and look like Sheed, so much the better.

Hicks
06-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Yes I am.

wintermute
06-02-2004, 05:30 AM
me, just a shade under content. i was really expecting the finals. but it's not all bad.

yup, our backcourt was really exposed. not just sg, but the depth behind tinsley at pg as well. i know aj played well, but he's really just the backup.

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Nutz with content. Ask Patrick Ewing about "next year".

They can talk about Detroit growing into the role and all that feel good bullpucky they want to. Bottom line, Dumars went out and sold the Pistons soul to obtain the player they needed to get over the top. Without that move, Indiana would have been in the finals in 5 games.
I was furious we didn't get a big man before the deadline. Now we need a big man, a SG and a PG.
(did you know Fred Hoiberg is a FA?)

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm fine I accepted our fate after Game 5 .

Gezzer we would have did the same trade if the pacers management thought we needed someone like sheed and I am sure any other team that had a legit shot woulda signed sheed to get over the top, I can't fault Dumars for being smart.

Yes I realize The Mayor is a FA :)

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm fine I accepted our fate after Game 5 .

Gezzer we would have did the same trade if the pacers management thought we needed someone like sheed and I am sure any other team that had a legit shot woulda signed sheed to get over the top, I can't fault Dumars for being smart.

Agreed, more plainly what I meant was he saw a need and went about filling it. Not my choice of people to fill the need, but it worked for them.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 08:06 AM
I think if AL wouldn't have been hurt around the trade deadline , he may have been gone at that point and I don't think anyone else looked good at that point get a decent trade other than AL.

Anthem
06-03-2004, 02:13 AM

I guess I don't get this. The Mayor is a nice guy and all, but what would be the point of signing him to the Pacers?

- If Reggie doesn't retire and we improve from within, then Freddy starts and Reggie backs him up.
- If Reggie doesn't retire and we make a trade, then X starts and Reggie backs him up.
- If Reggie retires and we're going to improve from within, then Artest is the SG and Freddy backs him up.
- If Reggie retires and we make a trade, then X starts and Freddy will back him up.

- If Reggie retires and we trade Freddy, then we start X. Then, and only then, would there be a spot for the Mayor.

Right?

ROCislandWarrior
06-03-2004, 02:23 AM
I am content, and the Pacers passed the family test.

I know they had a good season because my Brother did not give me a hassle this year unlike last year or the year before. Same with my father. Infact, my brother said to me today "How are you coping with the loss?". That is the family test.

We did alot of good this year, and our weaknesses were exposed in this series. Now it is up to the front office to make this team even better, because next year nothing short of a finals appearance will be acceptable.

Mourning
06-03-2004, 06:13 AM
I was happy with this season, definitely. I had some doubts at the beginning of the season regarding the center position, but I think we exceeded expectations of everyone. We'll make some moves in the off-season, however I doubt we will acquire a T-Mac kind of superstar player and I dont want Ray Allen, too injury prone.

Quentin Richardson, Brent Barry and Leonard seem like realistic alternatives to me though.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: