PDA

View Full Version : Is it all downhill from here for the Pats?

Shade
02-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Along with the sting of this loss (and it will sting for a long time), they now have to potentially deal with Spygate. And if the latter actually yields anything significant, how difficult would it be for the Pats to bounce back, both on the field and off?

Aw Heck
02-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Well, the Pats have the 49ers' 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. And I think Adalius Thomas is the only major player they risk losing this offseason. Even then, I think he's very replaceable.

Let's not get carried away here. They'll still be a very formidable team next year. Unfortunately. And if they're as aggressive in the offseason as they were last year, they might be able to pull some more "4th round pick for Moss" type deals out of their butts.

grace
02-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't believe for a second that anything is going to come of the league's "investigation" unless they get dragged to Congress like MLB was.

As for on the field I suspect they're going to be as :censored: off as they were this year. As far as I'm concerned they can win all the games they have as long as they lose one to us and the Colts go to the Super Bowl.

Sollozzo
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
They will be a premier team and will be a SB contender like they always are.

But I think the NE fans are going to start to get a little restless. It's been 3 seasons now since they've won a SB. Their championships are starting to become a bit of distant memory around the rest of the NFL.

wooolus
02-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Well, they are linebacker core could endure some hits with retirement and free agency, I believe some team will offer Moss a big contract based on this years performance that Patriots will be unable to match.... so it's a crap shoot for them at this time

Lord Helmet
02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
They will be a Super Bowl contender just like they have been.

Hicks
02-04-2008, 01:29 AM
They're not going anywhere.

Suaveness
02-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Seriously dont get carried away. They're more than capable of winning next year.

idioteque
02-04-2008, 01:56 AM
A lot of their defensive core is old. If they can replace some of those guys they will be okay.

I have heard Stallworth may leave, which could hurt them.

Other than that they'll be okay, one of the top three AFC teams at worst.

Shade
02-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Oh, I'm sure they'll still be good, but will they be as good as they were this season? A lot of their key guys are starting to get pretty old.

Isaac
02-04-2008, 02:23 AM
We'll have to see how they improve on defense. The D played well for them tonight, but that is an old defense that wasn't very strong at anything other then pressuring the QB all season. If changes aren't made, I doubt they'll be back next year.

Moses
02-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, they are linebacker core could endure some hits with retirement and free agency, I believe some team will offer Moss a big contract based on this years performance that Patriots will be unable to match.... so it's a crap shoot for them at this time
I have no problem with Seau and Bruschi staying, but they need to be reserves next year. They are leaders on the field and polished vets, but they simply aren't speedy enough to be full timers in the NFL.

It's difficult to say who the Patriots will have next year. It's safe to assume Thomas will be back as well as Welker. Stallworth and Moss are both on 1 years deals but I'd imagine the Pats are going to do everything within their power to keep Moss. The Pats have the niners first rounder, but don't be surprised if they trade down. They need youth at LB and in the secondary. They'll have Sammy Morris back next year so they shouldn't draft a RB early. Colvin and Thomas make 2 excellent OLBs..they just need to find some solid speedy middle guys. I don't think the Patriots are going to try extremely hard to sign anyone besides Moss again. And to be perfectly honest, I hope they focus on rebuilding the defense. I think what really killed the Pats is the fact that they got away with the short passing game and that they had absolutely no running game. I saw no short passes to the outside that used to be the Pats bread and butter. Hopefully they'll get back to that next year.

With that said, I am excited. It sucks that football season is over, but next year should be great. I think the league will be even more competitive because a lot of the middle of the pack teams have improved greatly over this season. Not to mention, with the Giants winning the SB this year..it really proves that the NFC isn't a scrubby conference and that any team can win if they peak at the right time.

Will Galen
02-04-2008, 02:39 AM
However you look at it the Pats had a great season, but losing the Superbowl had to be brutal to their franchise, players and fans.

Thank how you would feel if the Colts went 18-0 then lost the Superbowl. Or think how you would feel if the Pacers won 75 games and then lost the NBA championship. Brutal, brutal, brutal loss!

But while I can commiserate with their pain, I'm really glad they lost!

Kraft
02-04-2008, 02:52 AM
They'd be well served to remember Laurence Maroney can run the football. I don't know what happened there tonight. If the defense is running straight at Brady every play, you have to run the football to slow down the rush -- even if you get stuffed a handful of times.

BoomBaby31
02-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh trust me, believe me. This is not a downhill moment. Even if Moss doesn't come back, they are still going to be one of the best (right behind the colts :).) in the league. They will need to do a little upgrades on Defense, as they get a year older but Pats are going to still be very very good next year.

Slick Pinkham
02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Assante Samuel: likely gone
Randy Moss: likely re-signed
Dante Stallworth: under contract, but likely cut for cap reasons (big roster bonuses)
Seau: likely retired
Bruschi: likely back as a backup. Remember, before Colvin's injury, Seau & Bruschi split time 50-50 so neither got starter's minutes

---
This loss will test their philosophy of not looking back after tought losses or great wins and only focusing on the next game.

I would not put it past them though to be back next year, though, given that the "yesterday doesn't matter" mindset has been drilled into them

Unclebuck
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
The bottom line is as long as Brady is their quarterback the pats will be one of the best teams in the NFL - just like the Colts will be one of the best teams as long as manning is still here.

Slick Pinkham
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Posted odds to win the Super Bowl 43:

New England Patriots 9-5
Indianapolis Colts 8-1
San Diego Chargers 9-1
Dallas Cowboys 10-1
Green Bay Packers 15-1
Jacksonville Jaguars 15-1
New York Giants 15-1

http://scoresandodds.tekgroup.com/section_display.cfm?event=Odds%20to%20Win%202009%2 0Super%20Bowl%20XLIII%20%2D%20Tampa%20FL&sporttype=597

Slick Pinkham
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think the Patriots will be 16-0 next year, obviously,

but they might be 11-5 next year and playing significantly better by the end of the season than they were last night.

For the 1st time all year the pressure of "making history' got to them. It worried me that team "one game at a time, one series at a time" starting talking about

"the biggest game of our lives"

I think that they would have played better last night if Baltimore or Philadelphia has beaten them in the regular season.

Not to take anything away from the Giants, who were BETTER, STRONGER, and well prepared. The Giants played the better game, period. There was something missing last night from the Patriots that could be interpreted as "fear of failure" and I think it stems not from more spygate talk or anything else than being 18-0 and attaching a level of importance to the game that in essence took away from their focus.