PDA

View Full Version : Will Bird Make a Difference in Our Summer Roster Moves?

Bball
06-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Will the Pacers stand pat or will they be active this off season? Will Bird make us more proactive or will this be another 'normal' offseason for the Pacers.

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 12:39 AM
A salary structure is in place that keeps us out of trouble. It's a young team that took us to the brink of the ECF.

We'll promote Brewer to take Kenny's slot. And perhaps Brezec to take Pollard's, if we can somehow unload his salary. And perhaps try to find J Jones minutes as a shooter.

Trades and FA's? No...hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. Unless someone asks to be traded.

<edit> Unless#2...unless DW says ok LArry what do you want, show it to me and let's see if you can make it happen. I'll help train you on doing that sort of thing. That's the only other way.

beast23
06-02-2004, 12:59 AM
A salary structure is in place that keeps us out of trouble. It's a young team that took us to the brink of the ECF.

We'll promote Brewer to take Kenny's slot. And perhaps Brezec to take Pollard's, if we can somehow unload his salary. And perhaps try to find J Jones minutes as a shooter.

Trades and FA's? No...hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. Unless someone asks to be traded.

<edit> Unless#2...unless DW says ok LArry what do you want, show it to me and let's see if you can make it happen. I'll help train you on doing that sort of thing. That's the only other way.
Brewer, JJones and Kenny are free agents. Reggie might retire.

The only way I see Brewer back is if one of AJ or Tinsley is packaged in a trade. Otherwise, Bird will look to pick up a heck of a lot better PG than Brewer.

JJones is more likely to be re-signed if downsize our roster by trading 2-for-1, 3-for-2 or 3-for-1. Then we probably will lose at least one SF (Al) in pursuit of an SG, so JJones might be needed.

Al could start for 10-15 (or more) teams in the league, so he could be used to bring back a decent SG. Package him with another player or two and that package could bring back a GREAT SG.

I also believe the injuries sustained by JO and Tinsley might influence, perhaps even prevent, possible trades this summer.

kerosene
06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
I think Bird/Walsh are going to take a long, hard look at the players on this team and make a decision as to who has "it". That drive to improve and that determination to win. This is still a young team and maybe some of these guys will "get it". After watching some of these young players look completely lost when things were not going the Pacers way, it would not surprise me at all to see a couple of guys moved in the offseason if a good opportunity comes up.

With the exception of game 4 in Detroit, I can't imagine that the front office is very happy with the players execution during both this series and most of the Miami series. JO and Tinsley aside, there were players who weren't injured who didn't come through when they had the opportunity. I think this will significantly factor into whether or not they have a future in Indiana.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 01:22 AM
I actually think something will get done this summer.

I have no problem seeing Al move on, especially if it could bring a McGrady like player.

We could also use a decent big man, but they are hard to find.

It will be interesting.

wintermute
06-02-2004, 04:16 AM
i believe somethin will be done too. does anyone still have the quote by carlisle, where he says the team as currently constructed is not balanced and that they will evaluate everyone after a year? well, that time is upon us...

also, fyi, teams are allowed to trade players once their season ends. so we might see tmac here as soon as tomorrow :D not likely though

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 07:44 AM
No, I think there is a very small window of time for trades just prior to the draft and that is that. Now with the expansion draft being in ace too, that window of time may come earlier this year. But not until the PO's are over.