PDA

View Full Version : Share your Bible study?

SycamoreKen
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I know we have a number of Christians on here and was wondering if anyone would like to share what your bible study is revealing to you about God's word? I know Bible study is something that we are supposed to do as Christians in order to fully understand what God expects from us, but it is easy to let other things get in the way. If you would rather discuss this in PM's that is cool as well.

My study this week is in 2 parts. Each day I read the chapter of Proverbs that matches that day of the month. Today's was Proverbs 28. The verse that jumped out at me was verse 6, "Better to be a poor man whose walk is blamless than a rich man whose ways are perverse."

The second part of my study will be in 1st and 2nd Peter. Those are both relatively short, and I just read them for class and want to study them further. Peter has come to illustrate for me why the resurrection of Jesus was true. Here is a man that denied Jesus to protect himself, was willing to go back to being a fisherman after seeing him resurected, but then later was willing to stand before the same leaders that sent Jesus to his death and proclain him as the messiah. He knew full well that they could do the same to him, but still he spoke the word. Only seeing and witnessing the fullfillment of the prophecy could have changed him this way. I look forward to studying more of his teachings.

Please, add what you wish about your studys or just read what is posted. I would only ask that if you do not believe as we do (I would be happy to talk to you about how to join us :) ) please respect our discussions and only ask questions about the topic at hand.

bellisimo
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm a muslim and I have this one question actually - sorry it might not be on topic but its something that i'm currently dealing with :)

this girl that i've been currently seeing is Christian. Now in Islam you're allowed to marry people of the Book as in Christians, Jews and Muslims. Are there any sort of rules/guides for Christians as well?

For some reason she has this phobia that I'm going to try to force my religion into her - which is not the case at all - everyone is an adult and can make their own decisions when it comes to politics and religion - thats what I believe in.

So technically i'm planning on breaking up with her tomorrow - but this would be good for long term advice if anyone can shed some light into Christians marrying non Christians :)

Cobol Sam
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm a muslim and I have this one question actually - sorry it might not be on topic but its something that i'm currently dealing with :)

this girl that i've been currently seeing is Christian. Now in Islam you're allowed to marry people of the Book as in Christians, Jews and Muslims. Are there any sort of rules/guides for Christians as well?

For some reason she has this phobia that I'm going to try to force my religion into her - which is not the case at all - everyone is an adult and can make their own decisions when it comes to politics and religion - thats what I believe in.

So technically i'm planning on breaking up with her tomorrow - but this would be good for long term advice if anyone can shed some light into Christians marrying non Christians :)

Not if the non Christian is the same sex as you! (with some exceptions)

heywoode
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I know we have a number of Christians on here and was wondering if anyone would like to share what your bible study is revealing to you about God's word? I know Bible study is something that we are supposed to do as Christians in order to fully understand what God expects from us, but it is easy to let other things get in the way. If you would rather discuss this in PM's that is cool as well.

My study this week is in 2 parts. Each day I read the chapter of Proverbs that matches that day of the month. Today's was Proverbs 28. The verse that jumped out at me was verse 6, "Better to be a poor man whose walk is blamless than a rich man whose ways are perverse."

The second part of my study will be in 1st and 2nd Peter. Those are both relatively short, and I just read them for class and want to study them further. Peter has come to illustrate for me why the resurrection of Jesus was true. Here is a man that denied Jesus to protect himself, was willing to go back to being a fisherman after seeing him resurected, but then later was willing to stand before the same leaders that sent Jesus to his death and proclain him as the messiah. He knew full well that they could do the same to him, but still he spoke the word. Only seeing and witnessing the fullfillment of the prophecy could have changed him this way. I look forward to studying more of his teachings.

Please, add what you wish about your studys or just read what is posted. I would only ask that if you do not believe as we do (I would be happy to talk to you about how to join us :) ) please respect our discussions and only ask questions about the topic at hand.

I'm not much of a Christian, but I'm working on it. I would like to start studying the bible, and thought it would be cool to have an online group that started at the same time, and could chat once a week about what was covered. I don't have much free time to attend a bible study in the real world, and am not sure I'm ready to do that anyway....

The verse that you quoted, I bolded. If only the world operated that way. The only problem with it is that nobody sees the tangible results/repercussions of a life lived the wrong way. You have to die to see it. Once you see it, the other people who are still alive and living the wrong way can't see it. That's the problem with faith. It's too easy for people to ignore the teachings because they don't have faith that their way of life will haunt them for eternity. Not much different than a smoker not figuring out cigarettes kill until they DO.

SycamoreKen
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm not much of a Christian, but I'm working on it. I would like to start studying the bible, and thought it would be cool to have an online group that started at the same time, and could chat once a week about what was covered. I don't have much free time to attend a bible study in the real world, and am not sure I'm ready to do that anyway....

The verse that you quoted, I bolded. If only the world operated that way. The only problem with it is that nobody sees the tangible results/repercussions of a life lived the wrong way. You have to die to see it. Once you see it, the other people who are still alive and living the wrong way can't see it. That's the problem with faith. It's too easy for people to ignore the teachings because they don't have faith that their way of life will haunt them for eternity. Not much different than a smoker not figuring out cigarettes kill until they DO.

From my personal experience, I find that doing things that are wrong bother me since I know that I should not be doing them. Of course, there are times I still do the wrong thing and have to deal with the repercussions, but I do know I have forgiveness when I ask for it. Knowing I am forgiven doesn't give me free reign to keep sinning though. We are responsible for our actions and learning self control. O.K. enough preaching. That is not the point of this.

As for starting your bible study, I would recommend you find a good study bible, preferably an NIV or Holman Christian Standard version (see link below to see different versions on line) to make it easier to understand, and start reading with the Gosple of John. This is a good place to start for it was written for Jews and Christians as well as interested Gentiles (non-Jewish persons). He wrote it to convice readers to believe in Jesus as Savior and have eternal life. Most find this the easiest of the 4 to understand.

My favorite bible to read and study is the NIV Archiology Study Bible. This not only provides additoinal explanations for what is written, but there are many articles and pieces that explain the culture and happenings of the time periods of the writing. Some versions, such as the King James and New American Standard Bible are a more literal translation of the Greek the books were translated from, but can be harder to understand.

Here is the link:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

SycamoreKen
01-28-2008, 11:13 PM

As Sam said, there are no restrictions on whom you can marry in the Christian religion. I would find it hard to marry someone that did not share the same religion as I did though. Since marrage is supposed to be the second closest bond you have, next to your one with God, to not have such an important thing in common would be too much for me. But, that is just the way I feel.

The Hustler
01-29-2008, 04:32 AM

A few replies already, but i will add my 2 cents!

Stricktly speaking, there is no limits on who Christains can date, and many Christians, don't mind dating non Christians. However, when it comes to marrige there is one passage in the bible, that says, something along the lines or 'Do not be Yoked together with non believers'. So many Christians believe it is against scripture to Marry someone of a different or no religion.
(I think that verse is in 2 Corinthians - Can't be sure though!)

Now the reason this intersts me, is you are also a believer, in some ways. The bottom line states in both religions the same one God theoreticly.

I think at the end of the day it is a personal decision, many would feel it was counter productive to the life they want to live, I for one would struggle to have a serious co dependant relationship with someone who didnt share something as big as my religious views with me, and have therefor never done anything more than mearly date a Non-Christian. Having said this, i know of some relationships which have thrived dispite this for atleast some time, and others where one persons view has changed (some people dropping their faith, others forming a faith,) and the relationship's continued.

I supose at the end of the day, in terms of Dating it is very much her decision, and from there, often i think it depends on the strength of each of your faiths, if one is stong and the other weak, it is fairly likely the weak will change, if both are stong, it may well not work long term, if both are weak, then that single passage probably wont make any difference to them!

Anyway, hope that wasn't too rambling and some understanding can be taken from it!

On the primary topic of discusion, i'm currenty going through John in my Bible studies and am, as always, struck by just how humble and serving Jesus was.

Wu-Gambino
01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

I am not all too well read on religion, but I thought it in Islam, it was usually frowned upon marrying outside your religion. Thanks for clearing that up. I know living in the US, marrying outside of religion is pretty common (mainly the Protestant/Catholic or Jewish/Catholic marriage).

I am Catholic, but I view this in a more traditional/cultural sense. My family was Catholic, and it really kept them glued together to their relatives and communities growing up. I disagree with the Church on some issues (birth control and gay marriage), but agree with them on others (abortion, global poverty, death penalty, etc). One of my goals in life is to read the Bible to gain a better understanding of my religion.

I go to church every week, but I really haven't sat down and read the Bible. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to do this? Should I just read the whole thing page-by-page, or should I skip around? What does everyone recommend?

Also, I am planning to read the Qur'an. Bellismo, do you have any advice on doing this?

Putnam
01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Sycamore Ken, thanks for starting this thread. I'm focusing more on memorizing these days. I'll enjoy your comments and those of others.

I really haven't sat down and read the Bible. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to do this? Should I just read the whole thing page-by-page, or should I skip around? What does everyone recommend?

Also, I am planning to read the Qur'an. Bellismo, do you have any advice on doing this?

Reading from front to back is not the best way. At least not the first time you're doing it. The Bible is composed of these sections:

History of Abraham and the nation of Israel (Genesis -- Esther)
Poetry and wisdom (Job -- Song of Solomon)
Prophesy (Isaiah -- Malachi)

Gospels (Matthew -- John)
Acts of the apostles
Letters (Romans -- 3 John)
Revelation

You'll enjoy it most if you focus primarily on the gospels and secondarily on the letters. Eventually you'll want to read the other stuff. But there is no hurry.

Are you familiar with the gospels' distinct characters? Matthew was written for the Jews, to assure them that Jesus was the messiah. So it has lots of references to prophesies from centuries earlier, saying the messiah would do this or that, and now look at Jesus doing it! Mark is short and crisp and focused mostly on actions. It is like CNN headline news. Luke emphasizes Jesus' works of grace. It is the book that people cite most often when they want to reduce Jesus to a good guy but not the messiah. John is the hardest to read, because it is more theology than action.

There are wonderful bits in the books of prophesy. Some of the best are in Isaiah from chapters 40 to 53, which foretell about the suffering servant who would come. About half the Christmas hymns ever written are drawn from those chapters. But otherwise the books of prophesy are difficult. Obadiah, for example, foretells of the collapse of Edom. Where is Edom, you ask? Well, it collapsed, just as the prophesy said it would.

One more thing. Chronicles as exactly the same as Kings, but with more names of unimportant people. Far be it from me to say what you shouldn't read, but that could be something you leave for another decade. Also Esther.

Have fun.

----

I've read the Koran through twice in English and once in Kyrgyz, so I'll respectfully offer a suggestion there, too. The Koran is not ordered by theme or sequence, but puts the longer suras in the front and the short ones at the back. Start at the back. Read the shorter suras, especially 96, 112 and 93. Then work your way through from back to front. Good luck with it.

SycamoreKen
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Great advice on the readings from Putnam. I am currently taking both New and Old Testament History classes in school. They are undergraduate classes that everyone at the Baptist college have to take before they graduate. Reading many of the OT books have been easier with the insite of the teacher. I have come to view the OT as one grand example of God's grace and forgiveness. No matter how many times the people kept messing up, he was, and is, still willing to forgive them. Of course they had to be punished first, but he still forgave them.

Below is a link to a page from my NT instructor's web site on how to read the NT in 10 weeks. It shows you how to read the gosples together in order to place the events that are repeated together. I did not read them this way for class, but many of the students that were unfamiliar with the bible found this easier to do than reading them seperately.

I have also included a link to his main class page which has links to other resources. There is information about the time between the events of the new and old testaments and some other things.

http://satx.wbu.edu/John.Andrewartha/nt10wks.htm

http://satx.wbu.edu/John.Andrewartha/

Unclebuck
02-01-2008, 10:02 AM
My favorite books of the bible are all in the new testament.

I would start with John. Then read Romans - which is my absolute favorite - then Ephesians, both Peter and John.

Putnam
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I would start with John.

...with the understanding that the guy needed an editor badly.

John 1:3, e.g.,

All things were made by him; and without him was not made anything that was made.

kester99
02-02-2008, 12:08 PM
...with the understanding that the guy needed an editor badly.

John 1:3, e.g.,

All things were made by him; and without him was not made anything that was made.

The phraseology depends on the translation, of course, but you gots to be really careful messin' with the first few lines of John:

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

You got a whole 'genesis' right there, with (for me) so many thoughts and nuances on the origins of consciousness, and the beginnings of humans as a species aware of the divine, that I will fall back on a contemplation of this passage just for a 'centering', or as a foundation for understanding of other passages.

Also, I would point out that 'without' is the opposite of 'within', so that "without him nothing was made..." does have a meaning beyond "through him all things were made."

Hey, we're talkin' cosmology here. Much more fun than contemplating your navel.

8.9_seconds
02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Wow, I haven't been to PD in awhile, and when I have it has been super short, but I am really glad I came across this thread.

I'm actually doing another term paper, I mentioned my last one in a different thread, but I am doing it for my English Lit Class and and Thinking about using the Bible as my piece of English/European Literature (which my teacher has encouraged students to do).

Anyway, I think my focus is going to be on Mary Magdalene's role in the bible. I'm not sure if that is too broad, but I'm not really sure how to attack it. I'm not sure if I want to present the myths and possible solutions to those that have been made throughout history, or just her role as a strong female influence on the life of Christ.

Though I have chosen a religious subject, I will admit that I am not really a follower of organized religion. I don't have anything against those who do, in fact, I have a very deep respect for people who have chosen a religion and have deep faith in that religion.

I try to live my life in the way that I think that God would like people to, and for me that doesn't include Church services or following completely of the Bible. In a way, I would say that I use a kind of Common sense/ ethical view of faith and living. I honestly believe that being a good person by helping people and being selfless is the best path to God.

I am baptized as a Catholic, and went through 11 years of religion classes and masses, so I am aware of the church and it's teachings, but the Catholic Church has always made me feel uneasy, even from a very young age. There is nothing wrong with Catholics, I don't mean that at all, it's just not for me.

But my question is this, for those of you who are part of an organized religion, Do you consider me a sinner? And do you find something wrong with my way of thinking from a religious stand point?

Will Galen
02-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow, I haven't been to PD in awhile, and when I have it has been super short, but I am really glad I came across this thread.

I'm actually doing another term paper, I mentioned my last one in a different thread, but I am doing it for my English Lit Class and and Thinking about using the Bible as my piece of English/European Literature (which my teacher has encouraged students to do).

Anyway, I think my focus is going to be on Mary Magdalene's role in the bible. I'm not sure if that is too broad, but I'm not really sure how to attack it. I'm not sure if I want to present the myths and possible solutions to those that have been made throughout history, or just her role as a strong female influence on the life of Christ.

Though I have chosen a religious subject, I will admit that I am not really a follower of organized religion. I don't have anything against those who do, in fact, I have a very deep respect for people who have chosen a religion and have deep faith in that religion.

I try to live my life in the way that I think that God would like people to, and for me that doesn't include Church services or following completely of the Bible. In a way, I would say that I use a kind of Common sense/ ethical view of faith and living. I honestly believe that being a good person by helping people and being selfless is the best path to God.

I am baptized as a Catholic, and went through 11 years of religion classes and masses, so I am aware of the church and it's teachings, but the Catholic Church has always made me feel uneasy, even from a very young age. There is nothing wrong with Catholics, I don't mean that at all, it's just not for me.

But my question is this, for those of you who are part of an organized religion, Do you consider me a sinner? And do you find something wrong with my way of thinking from a religious stand point?

Can't say I'm part of organized religion, however I can say I know a lot about the bible. So, do I consider you a sinner the answer is yes. The bible explains at Romans 5:12, "Though one man sin entered into the world and death though sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned."

A simple explanation. Adam was the one man the bible talks about. God had told Adam that if he ate of the fruit in the garden of Eden he would die, he did and he died. Adam did this before having any children so he passed sin and death to us his offspring.

To buy back what Adam lost for us is the reason Jesus died for us.

Putnam
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM

You won't mind if I make a few comments about your premise, I trust.

First, the Bible isn't "English/European literature." It was written in Hebrew and Greek centuries before there was an English language. There are some pretty good English translations of the Bible, though only the King James qualifies as literature. But the symbols and literary forms found throughout the Bible are ancient middle-eastern -- not English or European. And those of us who believe it understand that the message is sent to us from an even more remote source.

Second, You'll have a hard time using the Bible to show that Mary Magdalene had a strong female influence on Jesus. She's only mentioned in three occasions. The first (Luke, chapter 8) is where Jesus heals her. The second and third are at the crucifixion and at the empty tomb: no strong influence there. There is no evidence in the Bible that Mary Magdalene was also the sinful Mary, or Mary the sister of Martha and Lazarus, or "the other Mary." There are traditions that suggest she may have been, but they are from outside the Bible.

Good luck.

Unclebuck
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Yes you are a sinner, everyone is. All of us sin just with our thoughts every day, every hour of every day - let alone all the stuff we actually do.

Only two ways to get to heaven.

1) Live a perfect life. Good luck with that. Living a good life is OK, but that isn't going to get you to heaven

2) accept Jesus as God and as your personal lord and savior.

That is what I believe and that is what the bible teaches in no uncertain terms.

kester99
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, since this is a Bible study thread, how about let's cite a chapter and verse when we assert that the book says such and such. Just a thought.

:)

John 3:3

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

Anthem
02-05-2008, 12:18 AM
...with the understanding that the guy needed an editor badly.[/I]
Au contraire. John is considered the most polished of the gospels. Of course that's in Greek, not English.

Anthem
02-05-2008, 12:20 AM
For the most part, anybody who is going to self-identify as a "Christian" is also going to say that everybody (including all Christians) is a sinner.

There are exceptions, but I'm just giving you the majority view.

EDIT: And Putnam's giving you good advice on the paper. Although if you really want to get into the impact of the Bible on Western Civ, you need to start with work by Rodney Stark.

SycamoreKen
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
You won't mind if I make a few comments about your premise, I trust.

First, the Bible isn't "English/European literature." It was written in Hebrew and Greek centuries before there was an English language. There are some pretty good English translations of the Bible, though only the King James qualifies as literature. But the symbols and literary forms found throughout the Bible are ancient middle-eastern -- not English or European. And those of us who believe it understand that the message is sent to us from an even more remote source.

Second, You'll have a hard time using the Bible to show that Mary Magdalene had a strong female influence on Jesus. She's only mentioned in three occasions. The first (Luke, chapter 8) is where Jesus heals her. The second and third are at the crucifixion and at the empty tomb: no strong influence there. There is no evidence in the Bible that Mary Magdalene was also the sinful Mary, or Mary the sister of Martha and Lazarus, or "the other Mary." There are traditions that suggest she may have been, but they are from outside the Bible.

Good luck.

I agree with Putnam here on both points, so I will let those speak for themselves. From memory, the woman in the NT that influenced Jesus the most was his mother. She did cause him to perform his first miracle, turning water into wine. John 2:1-11. ( That is, the Gosple of JOhn. Chapter 2, verses 1 through 11 for those that don't understand scripture referrences. That is one of many things Christians think everyone knows.) I use this passage for my Mother's Day presentation when i am asked to do it.

As for influential women of the bible, the Old Testament has two that are very good. Deborah in the book of Judges chapters 4 & 5 was very strong. The story of Rahab is an important one as well. Esther is also a good one. If you want to read about a lady that tried to stamp out the Israelites devotion to God, read about Jezebel in 1st Kings. Good luck with the paper.

I must say I find the course this thread has taken very interesting. I apologize for not contributing more, but I have been letting things get in the way of what is important. That is kind of ironic since I just wrote an 8 page paper for my OT class about the prophet Elijah calling the Isrealites out for not being true to God. His contest with the prophets of Baal is one of the biggest moments in the bible. His is a great story as well and is found in the same book as Jezebel. She and her husband Ahab were his adversaries. In the end, he was called up to heavan in a flaming chariot. Didn't even have to die.

As for my bible study outside of classwork, most of it has been limited to my daily Proverbs readings. Yesterday it hit home when it warned against folly.

How long will you li there you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-
and poverty will come on you like a bandit
and scarcity like an armed man.
Proverbs 6:9-11

This set and a couple others helped me see I was being busy with fruitless things instead of taking care of things that needed to be done. The second half of 6 and all of 7 warn against adultery. While i am confident that i will not be cheating on my wife, I also take this to mean to be on guard for things that will cause me to sin against God. In some of the prophetic books, i don't have time to look them up now, God accuses the people of Israel of commiting adultery against Him by worshiping other gods and doing things against His will. I, and this is just my opinion that I hold for myself so I may very well be reading more here than I should, use these warning to keep me focused on what I should be doing for God.

One more thing before I disappear from the thread for another week.;)

My pastor encourages us to pray that God will show us his meaning when we do our bible study and show us how and where we can apply it in our lives. It is not eough just to read the book, but rather read it for a reason. Good luck and God bless.

Putnam
02-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Sycamore, have you read "The Great Ommission" by Dallas Willard? I recommend it highly. He talks about the personal habits and disciplines that are lacking in most Christians' lives. Better Bible study and more memorization are things he recommends. Read it, ponder it, understand it, and then momorize it so you have it with you all the time.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Anthem
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Heh heh heh. This is awesome.

At first I thought this was humor from some preaching class, but it's actually a real church in Arizona.

SDxcyqeRc-4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDxcyqeRc-4

SycamoreKen
02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Sycamore, have you read "The Great Ommission" by Dallas Willard? I recommend it highly. He talks about the personal habits and disciplines that are lacking in most Christians' lives. Better Bible study and more memorization are things he recommends. Read it, ponder it, understand it, and then momorize it so you have it with you all the time.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Thanks Putnam I'll check into that. I just bought my books for next quarter and don't know how much reading outside of class I will be doing.

As for my studies this week, I have been trying to make sure I have all of the New Testament read for my class by Friday. I have read all of it, but we had to do it within the 13 week time span of the class. There is also a text book we had to read as well.

In that reading I have also been planning for a bible lesson/devotional for my men's group. The presenter last week touched on the love Christian's are to have for each other. I've decided to continue from that with how we should show this love, putting the ideas into action. I have found a lot of this in Romans and James. I'll share some of my ideas as i flesh them out over the next two days.

Chocolate_Thunder53
02-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm going through 1st Corinthians and Proverbs. I'm also reading a book called Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges, it's good stuff.

Anthem
02-16-2008, 02:28 PM
No love for "pisseth against the wall?"

Ahh well. I enjoyed it.

kester99
02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
No love for "pisseth against the wall?"

Ahh well. I enjoyed it.

The guy just creeped me out...didn't know what to say.

Anthem
02-17-2008, 10:25 PM
The guy just creeped me out...didn't know what to say.

Is this better? I'm sorry that it's on comedycentral's crappy website, but it's the best I can do.

And it's BRILLIANT.

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=149094&is_large=true

Colbert takes on "The Lucifer Effect."

kester99
02-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Yep...I saw that on Colbert when it aired first...the guest is a big-time sociologist, but I think Colbert probably took more theology lessons....and that is a crappy website.

Colbert's Sunday School class would be a strange one, I bet...but loads of fun.

SycamoreKen
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I guess I let this go too long. No excuse really, I've camped out in the counting thread and not here.

Anyway, my latest study took me into Philemon. You may ask, "Why?" like my one of my bible study partners since a letter from Paul to Philemon about his run away slave doesn't translate literally into our world. While we may not be able to relate to the story itself, the lesson that I took from it is very important.

Philemon has a couple options on how he can deal with his slave. He can handle it as the Roman law says by punishing him severly, even with death, or he can, as Paul points out so bluntly, he can do the Christian thing and free him, making him his brother in Christ. Paul's statement that Philemon should handle this God's way instead of how the world would do it is one we should follow as well.

Some would argue that Paul set it up so Philemon had no choice but to go this path. I agree that while he stacked the deck that way, Philemon still had free will to do what he wished. Paul did send the letter to him by way of said slave. Jesus has delt us the same hand as Christians. While we know how we should handle the decisions we make every day, we still have to choose what we do.

That is my take on Paul's letter.

The Toxic Avenger
03-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Heh heh heh. This is awesome.

At first I thought this was humor from some preaching class, but it's actually a real church in Arizona.

WOW that guy is a creep. I want to hit him in the face. Now granted I know exactly what he is saying and why he is saying it but good reality, That guy definitly lost his cool talking about the PIS$. :shudder:

Anthem
03-21-2008, 09:53 AM
WOW that guy is a creep. I want to hit him in the face. Now granted I know exactly what he is saying and why he is saying it but good reality, That guy definitly lost his cool talking about the PIS$. :shudder:
The best part is that he's completely wrong. Men DON'T "pi$s against the wall" because that's uncouth. It's DOGS that do that. The whole point of the passage is that God is comparing this dude's kids to untrained dogs.

heywoode
03-21-2008, 04:10 PM
On a more serious note...I need some advice.

I know I'm crass most of the time and I cuss a lot, but I'm a good husband and a good father and feel like I'm generally/genuinely a good person.

I grew up being forced to go to church (mostly Christian with some Methodist also) every Sunday for years and years. I was the kid in the front row in a full suit tape recording the choir for my mom. I was the kid with the perfect attendance pins on his lapel. I went to VBS and church camp at Hanging Rock every year.

I saw some things as I got older that REALLY turned me off to church/organized religion. Lots and lots of hypocrites. Lots of people who had no problem casting the first stone but who were NOT without sin, and didn't think twice about how horrible what they were doing was. I got tired of it, and quit going as soon as I could.

I went through stages of wondering if God existed at all. My father (parents divorced when I was 9) didn't believe in God and pushed that to me quite a bit, but I'm intelligent enough to know propaganda when I see and hear it. I'm also smart enough to know that the churches have their own form of propaganda. I'm not judging, I'm just saying that it is obvious that it is out there. I'm serious when I say that I truly believe that more blood has been shed in the name of religion than for any other reason. More people have been brutally killed in the name of someone's idea of "God" than for any other reason. History seems to me to be pretty clear on that fact. Religion does a lot of good in this world also, so don't get me wrong. I've also seen religion make a profound difference in people's lives, to the point of saving an otherwise doomed soul.

I have resisted getting involved in religion again for many years now, but it's not like I'm agnostic or atheist. I just have a VERY hard time trusting people at churches. Aside from the Catholic Church's highly publicized troubles over the last several years, there have been a number of churches locally that have had the same type of problems. One church had THREE youth ministers in a row arrested and convicted of child molestation. I worry enough about how I would be received/treated were I to start attending church again. I don't want to have to worry about having to go KILL some sicko who did something to my children. Suffice it to say that when I say kill, I mean it. I'm not the kind of person willing to let the justice system handle it when it comes to that type of crime against my own children. It would get handled, and I would deal with the repercussions of that....I realize that is a hard line to take, but I'm not gonna apologize for it. Didn't mean to get sidetracked, back to the subject:

The area I would like advice on is this: How do I go about learning to trust again? How do I decide to take that first step? I'm not opposed to going to church and realize that just by committing to attend church, I'm not committing myself to mission trips to Bosnia or anything...

I think I mentioned it in this thread already, but my thoughts started rolling around to this subject after I received Tony Dungy's book for Christmas and read it. I was very impressed with it, and it definitely made me think about things that I have pushed to the back of my mind for a long time. My having feelings about possibly attending church again were also aided by the fact that my wife has found a church she likes and she and the kids have been attending pretty regularly for the last six months or so. She did not previously attend church regularly in the ten years we have been married. She really likes this church and so do my kids. It is a non-denominational, very energetic church and the pastor is a guy who is my age and has been through similar experiences to me. He had it quite a bit worse than I ever did, but obviously now is reformed and a practicing pastor.

My wife and kids attend. Several people who work where I work attend. A couple we are good friends with attends. Our babysitter and her husband attend. Other people we/I know attend. Attending this church for social reasons would not be without benefits. I have been getting a little pressure from several different directions to attend.

My problem is that I'm not at all ready to make a full commitment to attending regularly and changing my life to be more christian-like. I don't really do anything un-christian like that is out of the ordinary. I have the occasional beer, the occasional smoke, and I do cuss like a sailor. Other than that, I don't do anything I'm not proud of, so to speak.

I know that attending regularly and not being on a path toward greater enlightenment and/or growing in Christ is not really what I want to do. I am pretty sensitive about not wanting to become the type of person that drove me away from religion in disgust many years ago.

So, what do I do? I want to make my wife and kids happy. I don't really have a problem with trying not to cuss so much. I don't do anything else that is dramatically harmful to my life or others....but at the same time, I'm not ready to join hands with Jesus and stroll on the beach with the sun shining on me either.....

Sorry for the short novel detailing my situation, but it is a complicated one and I wanted to be thorough.

Any advice given will be taken seriously.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond....

Anthem
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
My problem is that I'm not at all ready to make a full commitment to attending regularly and changing my life to be more christian-like.
My brief advice to someone who's basically a total stranger?

Go once. It's Good Friday today, Sunday is Easter. Go to Easter Sunday. It would be a very big deal for your wife, if nothing else.

But when you're worried that you're not ready to commit to being there every week, I'd say don't even worry about that yet. But go this week and see how you feel. Don't just make it an emotional thing, either. Listen to what the pastor says and see if you agree. Does his take seem logical? Are there obvious flaws in the logic? See how much of what he's saying you can agree with.

I don't really do anything un-christian like that is out of the ordinary. I have the occasional beer, the occasional smoke, and I do cuss like a sailor. Other than that, I don't do anything I'm not proud of, so to speak.
:D Then you're a better Christian than me. I do stuff all the time I'm not proud of.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't even worry about that stuff right now.

The Toxic Avenger
03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
The best part is that he's completely wrong. Men DON'T "pi$s against the wall" because that's uncouth. It's DOGS that do that. The whole point of the passage is that God is comparing this dude's kids to untrained dogs.

I've always pictured GOD in his holy Stereotypical glory (white robes, long beard, sandals) pissing on someone/something until he gets interupted by a prayer, he then looks over his shoulder, zips up his robe, rolls his eyes and gets back to work righting the world.

but seriously... good catch.

SycamoreKen
03-22-2008, 10:18 PM
My brief advice to someone who's basically a total stranger?

Go once. It's Good Friday today, Sunday is Easter. Go to Easter Sunday. It would be a very big deal for your wife, if nothing else.

But when you're worried that you're not ready to commit to being there every week, I'd say don't even worry about that yet. But go this week and see how you feel. Don't just make it an emotional thing, either. Listen to what the pastor says and see if you agree. Does his take seem logical? Are there obvious flaws in the logic? See how much of what he's saying you can agree with.

:D Then you're a better Christian than me. I do stuff all the time I'm not proud of.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't even worry about that stuff right now.

I would add reguarding the sermon at any chuch you go to, does it match what the bible teaches. I know that is all in interpretaion sometimes, but many times it just stands out.

If many people you like and get along with are going, then there will be at least those to be with. Trust me, every church has hypocrites, heck I'm one as you can tell by what I have done on here, so if you accept that going in it will be easier to get through.

Finally, going to church isn't going to make your relationship with God any deeper. That is up to you. At best, it will offer you guidence, a place to fellowship with other believers, and most importantly, go to worship God with others. That is the reason for a church service anyway.

Hope that helps and doesn't hurt.

Will Galen
03-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Any advice given will be taken seriously.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond....

You believe in God, so why not take your problem to him? Ask him to give you direction.

Obviously the way this world is his answer could get lost, so you need to ask for something specific, and that you would recognize as his answer.

SycamoreKen
03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Wills answer is the best thing to do. Always get advice form the One in charge. let us know how it went today if you did attend.

heywoode
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
meh, I didn't go. Got tangled up in a movie and a conversation and didn't get to bed until 4am. We also had a family dinner to go to around 1pm, so I got up about 1115am and got in the shower.

The wife has been attending a 'life group' gathering of people (mostly couples) on Friday evenings, and I thought I might break the ice by attending that first.

I'll do some thinking about it and keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.