PDA

View Full Version : Stuff like this is why people don't like Belichick

Shade
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3214310

Belichick still plays coy, as media plays game of 'Where's Tom?'

Associated Press
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: January 25, 2008, 9:58 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For the second consecutive day, Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) quarterback Tom Brady (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5228) wasn't in the locker room or at practice when reporters and cameramen were allowed inside Friday.

During the 45-minute period in the locker room, several cameramen lingered near his locker, but he didn't show up. Nor was he there for the first 12 minutes of practice that the media were allowed to watch.

New England coach Bill Belichick said reporters would be informed after practice if Brady participated. Stacey James, the Patriots' vice president of media relations, said Friday night that he had no update on whether Brady practiced.

Brady was photographed in New York on Monday wearing a protective boot on his right foot. He took it off later in the day and hasn't been photographed wearing it since. He reportedly has a minor high ankle sprain that isn't expected to keep him out of the Super Bowl against the New York Giants (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyg) on Feb. 3.

Brady wasn't seen during the first 15 minutes of Thursday's workout to which media were admitted, nor in the locker room.

As Belichick was asked Friday to compare the current trip to the Super Bowl to the other three the team has played in, James said, "Final question."

One reporter tried to squeeze in another, asking if Belichick could say what Brady did or didn't do on Thursday, the Patriots' first day of practice after a three-day break.

"Was that the last question?" Belichick said, smiling as he turned toward James.

"That was the last question," James replied.

With that, Belichick walked from the podium and out of the room.

About 90 minutes later, Belichick started practice in the team's indoor facility, watching the players stretch and stopping to talk to linebacker Junior Seau (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=1548) for several minutes. Safety Rodney Harrison, who was not seen at the beginning of practice on Thursday, was there Friday while reporters were allowed to observe.

But Brady was missing.

When drills began and receivers ran pass routes, it was backup Matt Cassel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7406) throwing to Randy Moss (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4262) and No. 3 quarterback Matt Gutierrez passing the ball to Wes Welker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7027).

Now, don't get me wrong. If anyone deserves to get jerked around, it's the media. But Belichick is always acting like such a pompous *** that it's annoying. The sheer arrogance from the guy is truly astounding.

grace
01-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Of all the crap Belichick does this is the least offensive. Personally, I don't know how any reporter with at least one working brain cell would believe that there is anything wrong with Brady. Mostly because I couldn't get that lucky to have him truly be injured.

Stryder
01-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I think this entire situation with Brady and the media is hilarious! Belicheck is playing this entirely the right way.

DisplacedKnick
01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I must not be people because something like this actually makes me respect Belichick more.

It certainly beats the way the Colts and Pacers go about it - instead of giving some vague, ambiguous, meaningless or even misleading answer, just walk away.

Pretty cool.

Moses
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Of all the crap Belichick does this is the least offensive. Personally, I don't know how any reporter with at least one working brain cell would believe that there is anything wrong with Brady. Mostly because I couldn't get that lucky to have him truly be injured.
Oh the irony. Pretty pathetic that you want a player to get injured.

And I'd rather him not release anything then say that a guy is probably going to play (Harrison) and then he doesn't suit up...for about 4-5 straight weeks.

Slick Pinkham
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
After a million Belichick press conference, people expect exciting sound bites?

you will hear:

(monotone voice, devoid of excitement)

1) our next game is really hard
2) we aren't thinking about anything but the next game
3) we made lots of mistakes in our recent games that we have to fix
4) Our next opponent is so good, they are the best we've ever faced...
5) we can't say anything about injuries just yet. We need everybody since the other team is really good
6) We aren't thinking about our season record, or the last game we played, or the last time we played this opponent. That doesn't matter. Our next opponent is really good...
7) No, I didn't hear what anybody had to say. No comment on that. we are focused on our next game. They are good, and we have to get better.
8) go back to #1. lather, rinse, repeat.

Indianapolis_girly
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I don't like him very much. :annoyed:

campy
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
What I do not get is how this guy is such a "good" coach in NE while he was just plain bad at Cle? Something else is a foot here.

Lord Helmet
01-27-2008, 08:47 PM
What I do not get is how this guy is such a "good" coach in NE while he was just plain bad at Cle? Something else is a foot here.
Better teams overall in New England?

I don't remember his teams in Cleveland that he had, but I'd have to say he probably was a good coach there, but didn't have the best of guys.

Big Smooth
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM

He did coach the Browns to an 11-5 finish and a playoff win in his 4th season. I think Cleveland was a learning experience for him.

I think Bill's approach to that press conference was hilarious. :D

rexnom
01-28-2008, 04:25 AM
yeah...i kinda like Belicheck. I mean, the guy is a huge douche. But he's easily the best coach in football and these press conferences are hilarious.

Eindar
01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
I think I'd be mad if my coach weren't milking this for all it's worth. The Pats players have been here before, so this isn't quite as big a deal for them. Meanwhile, the Giants are what I'd like to think of as emotionally fragile, so the more of a circus you can make this for the Giants D, the better.

campy
01-29-2008, 11:58 PM
He did coach the Browns to an 11-5 finish and a playoff win in his 4th season. I think Cleveland was a learning experience for him.

I think Bill's approach to that press conference was hilarious. :D

Thanks for the information. I did not know that. He did wind up getting fired from that job. To me it just seems like he has great players in New England so it is hard to tell if he is this amazing coach.

DisplacedKnick
01-30-2008, 06:21 AM
The guy's won 3 championships and is in line for a 4th. I don't care if he has Jesus and the 12 disciples in his lineup - you don't get that kind of record without being a good coach, even if he is a prick.

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
He did wind up getting fired from that job.

After taking over a truly awful 3-13 team and getting them to 11-5 in their 4th year, the following offseason was a long battle between ownership and politicians over renovating the stadium in Cleveland, followed very early in the season by the announcement that the team would move.

They lost fan support immediately, and were even booed, even at home. They then got hit with a bunch of injuries, and they slid to 5-11.

Belichick was in part made a scapegoat so they could move to Baltimore and convince the fans there that they were not really a bad team, that they had the talent of the year before and it would return, with a more personable coach.

Stupid move.

Belichick learned a lot from it- to take control of the draft, to avoid meddling owners, to establish team leaders so that he wouldn't always have to be the bad guy, to totally give up oversight of the offense to a soild coordinator so he could build defenses, and to get a cap-ologist that would allow them to build roster depth and shed players too expensive to be kept.

Kraft
02-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Here's the thing with Bill. He could say and do all the same things, and do them with a different tone, without that 'I'm-smarter-than-you' look on his face, and he'd be liked outside of N.E.

He doesn't, and he knowingly doesn't. That's why he's a jackass. But surely, he doesn't act like that around his family and friends. He chooses his public persona, and he gets blasted by opposing fans for it -- and rightly so in my mind. If I decided to be a prick all the time, I'd hope someone would tell me.

Obviously, the guy can coach. No sane person would dispute that. He's a great coach. I do wonder if he could be without the prick attitude, though.

Slick Pinkham
02-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Here's the thing with Bill. He could say and do all the same things, and do them with a different tone, without that 'I'm-smarter-than-you' look on his face, and he'd be liked outside of N.E.

He doesn't, and he knowingly doesn't. That's why he's a jackass. But surely, he doesn't act like that around his family and friends. He chooses his public persona, and he gets blasted by opposing fans for it -- and rightly so in my mind. If I decided to be a prick all the time, I'd hope someone would tell me.

Obviously, the guy can coach. No sane person would dispute that. He's a great coach. I do wonder if he could be without the prick attitude, though.

Here's the thing with Bob Knight. He could say and do all the same things, and do them with a different tone, without that 'I'm-smarter-than-you' look on his face, without all the 4-letter words, and without all the hypocritical "do as I say not as I do" attitude and he'd be liked outside of Indiana and Lubbock.

He doesn't, and he knowingly doesn't. That's why he's a jackass. Surely, he sometimes doesn't act like that around his family and friends. He chooses his public persona, and he gets blasted by opposing fans for it -- and rightly so in my mind. If I decided to be a prick all the time, I'd hope someone would tell me. Then I'd cuss them out real good.

Obviously, the guy can coach. No sane person would dispute that. He's a great coach. I do wonder if he could be without the prick attitude and even more prickish behavior, though.

Kraft
02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's the thing with Bob Knight. He could say and do all the same things, and do them with a different tone, without that 'I'm-smarter-than-you' look on his face, without all the 4-letter words, and without all the hypocritical "do as I say not as I do" attitude and he'd be liked outside of Indiana and Lubbock.

He doesn't, and he knowingly doesn't. That's why he's a jackass. Surely, he sometimes doesn't act like that around his family and friends. He chooses his public persona, and he gets blasted by opposing fans for it -- and rightly so in my mind. If I decided to be a prick all the time, I'd hope someone would tell me. Then I'd cuss them out real good.

Obviously, the guy can coach. No sane person would dispute that. He's a great coach. I do wonder if he could be without the prick attitude and even more prickish behavior, though.

I like Bob Knight. He comes across as old and senile now. That's like, endearing.

Slick Pinkham
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Jimmy Johnson issued a statement that clearly puts spygate in context:

"The only thing I can say is so many people made such a big to-do about it, and everybody - and I mean everybody - went to the edge on rules in one form or fashion," Johnson said, reflecting on his coaching tenure with the Cowboys. "That's just part of the game, that's stealing the signals in baseball. This stuff has been going on for so long.

"When I came into the NFL, back in '89, I talked to a Kansas City scout and he said, 'Here's what we do, we videotape the opposing team's signals and then we synch it up with the game film.' So I did it."

Johnson admitted it was "borderline" but he ended up stopping because he didn't think the team got much out of it. He then spoke of other rules clubs pushed to the limit.

"When I went to the Dolphins and they talked about how you're supposed to have a 15-second cutoff [in communication] to your quarterback, but here is what we do [to circumvent that]," Johnson said. "They said they've always done this. So I said, 'OK, let's go ahead and do it.' Then the league said, 'Hey, we hear you're doing that, so don't do it anymore.'

"The point I'm making - I'm not trying to say everybody is cheaters - is that you have a rulebook that is so thick and you say 'How far can you go without breaking the rules?' When I coached the Cowboys, we didn't have this kind of scrutiny. But now, the scrutiny, every little thing we do - that's why I said the media blew it so far out of proportion.

"Would the commissioner have fined them and taken a draft pick if it had been the Arizona Cardinals? There is a lot of jealousy in this league. The high profile, it's almost making statement that 'I've got to do it because of who it is.' I know Bill Belichick very well, I know how he loves the NFL, he loves the history of the NFL, he loves the integrity of the NFL, that's why it irritates me that anyone would ever question that."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/01/30/speculation_still_swirling_around_mcdaniels/?page=2