PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Rick's press conference there's NO way Ron's going to be traded

Cactus Jax
06-01-2004, 11:17 PM
He feels that Ron and Ben are the two best defensive players he's ever seen. He said Ron played a great game despite the migraine, and that the team played with a lot of poise and confidence.

SpADeD
06-01-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't care who we trade, as long as it's not JO and Artest. We need Ray Allen, or T-Mac.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Obviously - I would be EXTREMELY dissapointed with management if they traded Artest...the only guys I would trade Artest for is Shaq, Duncan, or Garnett.

:laugh:.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm going out on a limb and saying that the migraine had no effect whatsoever on Ron's decisions with the basketball tonight...especially the missed dunk and the looong missed three-pointer.

arenn
06-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Trading Ron Artest would obviously be a huge mistake. The people we should be looking to unload are Harrington, Croshere, and Bender.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Trading Ron Artest would obviously be a huge mistake. The people we should be looking to unload are Harrington, Croshere, and Bender.

I highly disagree about Bender. He showed major improvements this year and had he had more playing time, he could have been a bigger part of the bench. If things go right, I can see him starting games for us next year.

Unclebuck
06-01-2004, 11:39 PM
How can anyone criticize Artest for the missed dunk. He went strong, what else can he do.

Trade Artest over my dead body

Hicks
06-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Rick can love him all he wants; doesn't mean we might not trade him for a hell of an offensive player.

MSA2CF
06-01-2004, 11:43 PM
How can anyone criticize Artest for the missed dunk. He went strong, what else can he do.

Well for one, he shouldn't have even tried to take it in himself. He could have at least tried to get his teammates involved. With a man on him, I don't see how that was a good decision to take it in...Who was guarding him? Wallace? If so, that was a bad decision.

sweabs
06-01-2004, 11:49 PM

Trade Artest over my dead body

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
:) .

Ultimate Frisbee
06-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I would also be disappointed if we traded Bender... He has come far and will only do better with more confidence in more minutes... he's not used to coming off the bench!!!

In my mind the following holds (please tell me what you think)

Tradable:

1.) Al Harrington (Teams really want him and he is young, has a low salary for a potential star, and is discontent not starting)

2.) Croshere (his contract is a burden)

3.) Tinsley (Solid point guard, trade value as a kicker is high...)

Not Tradable:

1.) J.O. (cornerstone)

2.) Artest (would only trade him for Shaq, Garnett, Duncan, or Bryant.. He has a low salary for an allstar, is signed for a while, and his potential and drive are HUGE)

3.) Miller (team morale)

4.) Fred Jones (undervalued and his effort is awesome)

I think we should target upgrading our starting 5... It is ashame to have Harrionton on the bench when we arguably have 3 weaker players starting (Miller, Tinsely, and Foster). We have an awesome coach who is able to fit any NBA caliber player into the game at the right times...

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 12:21 AM
At this point, I'd trade anybody not named ONeal as long as it is an upgrade.

Please please please look at players value realisticaly tho. Do not overvalue or undervalue them based upon personnal feelings. We'll never get full value for Ron because he plays much better than we would get back in salary/quality. Al Harrington, while a talent isn't that well known or respected around the league. I asked some time ago if we could get a # 5 pick for him. If you think not, what makes you think he'd bring a top flight EXPERIENCED player?

Remember, we still have the trade exemption from last year (which will expire in July I think...and I don't REALLY believe we'll use because it expands our salary if we do).

Bball
06-02-2004, 12:53 AM

Please please please look at players value realisticaly tho. Do not overvalue or undervalue them based upon personnal feelings. We'll never get full value for Ron because he plays much better than we would get back in salary/quality. Al Harrington, while a talent isn't that well known or respected around the league. I asked some time ago if we could get a # 5 pick for him. If you think not, what makes you think he'd bring a top flight EXPERIENCED player?

In a one for one, I'd assume we'd be talking of an experienced role player. Someone who'd know their role and we'd already know their potential (which would be likely reached). Not someone's budding superstar.

-Bball

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 12:57 AM

In a one for one, I'd assume we'd be talking of an experienced role player. Someone who'd know their role and we'd already know their potential (which would be likely reached). Not someone's budding superstar.

-Bball

agreed

Steveman
06-02-2004, 01:09 AM
IMO, JO, Tinsley, and Fred Jones are the only untouchables.

waterjater
06-02-2004, 01:10 AM
I'll tell you, I was ready to trade him when it happened. He should've just told him to go F himself for the cheap shot to the groin and then blocked his shot!

The flagrant, whether it was or wasn't, really hurt right there. Our defense was really playing well and covering for our inept offense and we didn't need to GIVE THEM POINTS!

BUT, why are we even in a close game after starting the 1st qtr 23-11. 10 Fripping pts in Q2 cost us the game, not his dumbass play.

I'd only trade him if it brings us Tracy McGrady without losing much more in the deal.

Water

beast23
06-02-2004, 01:11 AM

I highly disagree about Bender. He showed major improvements this year and had he had more playing time, he could have been a bigger part of the bench. If things go right, I can see him starting games for us next year.Now that Bender's BYC is soon to expire, I see Bender as one who could be traded.

IMO, Bender at best will be a very good bench player. Great leaper, good help defender, much improved on the ball defender but adequate at best (right now). Bender would be a great rebounder for a SG or SF. He has decent shooting range, but due to small and "weak" hands, has trouble maintaining control of the ball in traffic. Bender needs a little more weight and a lot more strength. Due to his small base (i.e. no weight in butt and legs) he has problems defending strong or big players near the basket.

Bender has come a long way this season. But I just don't see him gaining starts over existing players on our roster, namely Artest and Al at SF and Artest and Freddie at SG. If JO is injured to start next season and Al is traded, I would see us somehow incorporating Croshere in the lineup before using Bender.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Benders BYC Expires in July and Ron Artest will be a Pacer next year and you can take that too the Bank.

beast23
06-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Benders BYC Expires in July and Ron Artest will be a Pacer next year and you can take that too the Bank.Yep. Right now, you can absolutely guarantee JO and Artest. But we don't know about any of the others, including Reggie (possible retirement).

Hicks
06-02-2004, 01:40 AM
You can not guarantee Ron will be a Pacer no way.

JO, yes, Ron, no way.

indygeezer
06-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Agreed. JO is the only certain one safe. Anyone else is up for grabs, as long as it doesn't affect our cap numbers.

bulletproof
06-02-2004, 01:56 AM

JO, yes, Ron, no way.

Anyone who says Ron is a guarantee next year is only basing that on his on-court performance. Donnie and Larry will not overlook the flagrant considering everything that's happened this year with Ron. It could have very well cost us the series. Not trying to lay the blame at Ron's feet, but Donnie and Larry will not take that flagrant lightly.

beast23
06-02-2004, 02:08 AM

JO, yes, Ron, no way.

Anyone who says Ron is a guarantee next year is only basing that on his on-court performance. Donnie and Larry will not overlook the flagrant considering everything that's happened this year with Ron. It could have very well cost us the series. Not trying to lay the blame at Ron's feet, but Donnie and Larry will not take that flagrant lightly.I'm willing to bet you gents ANYTHING you want to bet that Ron is a Pacer next year.

Ron made significant strides this season in virtually every aspect of his basketball persona. Behavior wise, offensive output, DPOY.

You don't trade Ron unless you are practially getting JC himself in return.

Ron retaliated to what he thought was a cheap shot against him. He was totally wrong. But Carlisle and Bird are smart enough to realize that his one boner did NOT cost the Pacers this series. It came at a very inopportune time, yes. It was stupid, yes.

But Reggie's layup in Game 2 was stupid. Tinsley taking 13 mostly perimeter shots (many with 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock) on a gimpy leg was stupid. JO, Artest, Al, Tinsley holding the ball for several seconds at a time was stupid. The Pacers as a team failing to move the ball and not continuing to work it inside was stupid.

Stupidity and poor decisions were something equally shared among all players and in basketball is something oftentimes associated with inexperience. These traits weren't just reserved for Artest.

So, no. Artest won't be traded. Unlike their players, Bird and Walsh are NOT stupid.

bulletproof
06-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Ron retaliated to what he thought was a cheap shot against him. He was totally wrong. But Carlisle and Bird are smart enough to realize that his one boner did NOT cost the Pacers this series. It came at a very inopportune time, yes. It was stupid, yes.

Stupidity and poor decisions were something equally shared among all players and in basketball is something oftentimes associated with inexperience. These traits weren't just reserved for Artest.

So, no. Artest won't be traded. Unlike their players, Bird and Walsh are NOT stupid.

*sigh*

It's not just the flagrant. There are a lot of things that have gone on behind the scenes with Ron this year that you won't read anywhere.

TheSauceMaster
06-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Let's Sell our Souls for Tmac ..Awesome Idea .../end sarcasim

sweabs
06-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Let's Sell our Souls for Tmac ..Awesome Idea .../end sarcasim

Yeah no kidding - there are going to be A LOT of upset people this offseason if Pacers don't land T-Mac...which is a good possibility...these are just trade rumours.

sixthman
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM

The dunk was inches away from being a momemtum shifter and game breaker for the Pacers.

The three shot from 30-feet on the other hand was a very bad choice.

fwpacerfan
06-02-2004, 05:07 PM
One thing to consider is that Artest is locked up for the next 4 years and his average salary is only 6.8 million. That is a good deal for a DPOY and all-star. I say trade Al or Bender who are being paid the same money as Artest and would draw just about as much interest.