PDA

View Full Version : Name the All Star Reserves Contest

Jose Slaughter
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
The starters have been named, now can you name the 7 players from each conference that the coaches will name?

You'll need a center, 2 forwards, 2 guards & 2 "wildcards".

No prize this year but you will be named King of the All Star Reserve Contest picking winner, or something like that.

Unclebuck
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
let me think

LoneGranger33
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Chris Paul.

Oneal07
01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope Danny Granger can grab a spot. but I doubt it!!!

Hicks
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
If any Pacer gets it, it will be Mike. But he won't get a spot.

Cactus Jax
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
East Starters: Jason Kidd, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard

East Reserves: Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, Caron Butler, Rasheed Wallace

West Starters: Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming

West Reserves: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Brandon Roy

Do we have to say who the wildcard picks are, there is the 2 guard, 2 forward, 1 center requirement in each.

Robertmto
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Jose Calderon and Tough Juice better make it

Young
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
East Stars:
Kidd (should be Billups)
Wade (should be Ray Allen)
Lebron
Garnett
Howard

Reserves
Billups
Allen
Hamilton
Pierce
Bosh
Jamison or Butler Hedo or Lewis.

I think that you can make a strong case for Joe Johnson and Josh Smith being in the game as well.

West Starters:
Iverson (should be Paul)
Bryant
Anthony
Duncan
Yao

Reserves:
Paul
Nash
Davis
Kevin Martin
Dirk
West
Amare

Boozer, Josh Howard, Brandon Roy and Stephen Jackson are also deserving of an all star spot as well. Hard to for me to leave Roy and Jackson off as both have been huge for their teams. (BTW I don't think that Jackson stands a chance in hell at being on the team but he is deserving of it this year like him or not.)

Kstat
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Reserves: East

Billups
Hamilton
Pierce
Butler
Bosh
Sheed
Johnson

Reserves: West

Paul
Davis
Nowitzki
Nash
Kaman
Roy
West

IMO, Kaman deserves to be in over Amare.

Baron and Jackson are really neck and neck for which warrior deserves to get in. In a pinch, I'm going with the guy that didn't miss 7 games to suspension.

I think Rasheed has to get a spot because Shaq isn't going and there's nobody else on the center ballot.

There has to be a Hawk on here somewhere, also. It comes does to Rip or Allen for the last spot, and Rip has had a slightly better year than Allen, IMO.

ajbry
01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
East Reserves:
Caron Butler, Wizards
Chris Bosh, Raptors
Rasheed Wallace, Pistons
Chauncey Billups, Pistons
Joe Johnson, Hawks
Hedo Turkoglu, Magic
Paul Pierce, Celtics

West Reserves:
Steve Nash, Suns
Chris Paul, Hornets
Marcus Camby, Nuggets
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
Stephen Jackson, Warriors
Brandon Roy, Blazers
Deron Williams, Jazz

I was hesitant putting Pierce ahead of guys like Jamison, Smith, and even Lewis, but at some point you have to reward teams with great records. Could've thrown Rip into the mix as well.

West is almost impossible. There are at least 6 other guys - Baron, Parker, Ginobili, Boozer, Marion, Kaman, etc. - who are just as deserving as most of list and that's going to cause a lot of snubs this year (AKA motivation for the second half of the season).

JayRedd
01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
In the order of deservability...

East:

Truth
Tough Juice
Chauncey
CB4
Rip
Joe Johnson
Jamison

EDIT: After further deliberation, Hedo and RJ are out. Not sure what I was thinking. Must have been drinking.

West:

CP3
Nash
Booze
STAT
Dirk
Roy
DWest

This is unbelievably brutal. It's painful to leave off all of B. Dizzle, Camby, Manu, Frenchie and even Jack...but what Roy has done for Portland HAS TO get the kid to New Orleans. And here's to hoping coaches come to their senses and put the hometown David West in there for the city.

Cactus Jax
01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Kaman was the toughest one to leave off for me, but there's no way hes getting in with the Clips record, and Amare is a brand name and exciting for the all-star game.

Records usually have a big deal to who gets in, and outside of Detroit, and Boston, the east is a crap-shoot(with the emphasis on crap) record wise.

Butler gets in over Jamison imo, the 6 Pistons and Celtics get in, and Bosh is an automatic. Hedo is a tough omision but hes not getting in over Pierce, Bosh, Butler or Jamison. Joe Johnson could sneak in over Ray Ray, but they may depend on how things go for the next week.

There are 4 automatics out west reserve wise in Paul, Nash, Boozer, and Dirk. I wanted to put Kaman over Amare, but I dont see it happening, Baron is the leader of the Warriors (as much as i dont like his style, it works pretty good in Nellie ball), and someone from Portland HAS to get in and that would be Roy.

Kofi
01-25-2008, 06:36 PM
EAST RESERVES
Chauncey Billups, Pistons
Joe Johnson, Hawks
Rip Hamilton, Pistons
Paul Pierce, Celtics
Caron Butler, Wizards
Chris Bosh, Raptors
Samuel Dalembert, 76ers

WEST RESERVES
Steve Nash, Suns
Chris Paul, Hornets
Brandon Roy, Blazers
Kevin Martin, Kings
Carlos Boozer, Jazz
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
Amare Stoudemire, Suns

Robertmto
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
really no one else thinks Calderon deserves it?

Kofi
01-25-2008, 08:34 PM

No. Maybe next year, when he's likely a full-time starter, but not this year. There are too many more deserving players at other positions. Kidd and Billups can hold down the point, with Wade also getting some P.T. there as well, most likely.

SamBear
01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Pop should be the coach for the West and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili should be seriously considered for the Reserves.

AND THIS IS WHY! (http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/pod/pod_080123.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba)

:happydanc

ajbry
01-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I hope Popovich is the coach, he would put in a good word to his colleagues on Jack's behalf.

JayRedd
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I hope Popovich is the coach, he would put in a good word to his colleagues on Jack's behalf.

NO goes to SA tomorrow and it could be the game to see who gets to coach.

Not sure about the exact math (NO is a game up on SAS now and should beat the Clips tonight...SAS isn't playing tonight). But it's gonna be either Pop or Byron (D'Antoni isn't allowed to coach two consecutive years).

I'd like to see Byron both because it's in New Orleans and I love his team, and they he may clinch it with a win tonight.

Kstat
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM

Over Chauncey or Kidd? No way.

Calderon still has to convince me that his offense can make up for his terrible defense.

Robertmto
01-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Over Chauncey or Kidd? No way.

Calderon still has to convince me that his offense can make up for his terrible defense.

Kidd's already starting...

Kstat
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Kidd's already starting...

...and chauncey is on the bench....

they aren't going to take a 3rd PG over the glut of swingmen (Allen, Butler, Hamilton, Johnson, Smith, Pierce) in the east that are having all star seasons.

Jose Slaughter
01-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Never fear, I have Jose on my list.

For the East, my seven are...

Guards: Billups, Redd & Calderon
Forwards: Hamilton & Caron Butler
Center: Bosh & Okafor

I had Pierce, Allen, Jefferson & Iguodala on my short list.

In the West...

Guards: Paul, Baron Davis & Nash
Forwards: Dirk & Boozer
Center: Stoudemire & Kaman

The west was tough. Manu & Deron Williams, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Gasol & Camby were on my list too.

Robertmto
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
^^

theres a man that knows what hes talking about.

LoneGranger33
01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Jim O'Brien as assistant coach to Doc Rivers?

shags
01-26-2008, 06:25 PM
East Reserves:
G: Chauncey Billups
G: Richard Hamilton
F: Caron Butler
F: Paul Pierce
C: Chris Bosh
WC: Antawn Jamison
WC: Ray Allen

West Reserves:
G: Chris Paul
G: Steve Nash
F: Carlos Boozer
F: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Amare Stoudemire
WC: Brandon Roy
WC: Baron Davis

LoneGranger33
01-26-2008, 06:26 PM
No love for Stephen Jackson?

JayRedd
01-26-2008, 06:29 PM

He deserves it. And so do Calderon and Hedo...in addition to like six other guys who can always be considered NBA All Stars whether they make it or not (Manu, Matrix, Ray Ray, etc.)

They really need open it up to 15 players per squad. The amount of overlooked players is getting out of hand.

LoneGranger33
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
They really need open it up to 15 players per squad. The amount of overlooked players is getting out of hand.

Well, I think the problem is that Tracy McGrady (as much as I love him) is starting for the West.

JayRedd
01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Well, I think the problem is that Tracy McGrady (as much as I love him) is starting for the West.

Or, per usual, I think the problem might be your reading comprehension skills.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/01/24/starters.reax/

ajbry
01-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Yup, 15 seems pretty reasonable considering most players don't get many minutes in the game anyway, the tag of All-Star is what they want - playing the game itself is secondary.

Nothing would be crazier than BD and Steve coming in with 6 or so minutes remaining in the 4th quarter - the West down by 10+ - and throwing in a barrage of threes to make it a thrilling finish and give it a competitive feel.

LoneGranger33
01-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Or, per usual, I think the problem might be your reading comprehension skills.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/01/24/starters.reax/

I believe, and you will see this if you look back to my post, that I was referring to the 2004-5 All-Star game. Clearly.

bulldog
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Usually it ends up being at least close to fifteen because veterans bow out with injuries. Maybe Wade'll take the night off. Anyone else have nagging injuries that can make our time easier?

Also, there's no rule there can't be three PG's on the roster. Chauncey and Kidd get in before him, but I think Calderon deserves it, at the expense of Ray-Ray (I don't get why he's up for consideration, just cause he's part of the Big Three? he hasn't played that well) and Josh Smith (has been very inconsistent). Calderon has just been flat-out responsible for so many of the Raptors wins, from running the game to hitting game winning shots/making game winning assists. Also, the Pistons probably deserve two all-stars, but as usual their balance will hurt their all-star chances and I think only Chauncey makes it. I think Hedo's right there too but might get squeezed out.

I pretty much agree with Marc Steins list on todays Daily Dime on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime, except that Rip might get squeezed out for a Hawk even if he deserves it.

Kstat
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Also, the Pistons probably deserve two all-stars, but as usual their balance will hurt their all-star chances and I think only Chauncey makes it.

..the hell?

the Pistons had 4 all-stars in 2006 and 2 in 2007.....

bulldog
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
..the hell?

the Pistons had 4 all-stars in 2006 and 2 in 2007.....

Touche. I guess it hasn't hurt as much as I thought. The 2006 year is different cause they were so head and shoulders above the east that year, but 2007 proves your point.

Still, I feel like each of them individually rarely gets as much attention due to the overall balance.

Well then, hopefully Rip gets in and someone doesn't play so Hedo can get in and each of the three East "contenders" (if Orlando is still considered one) can get two guys in.

Kstat
01-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Rip has has been the most efficient SG in the NBA since early december. It's hard to imagine him not getting in.

He's the only shooting guard in the NBA averaging over 19ppg and shooting over %50 from the floor.

The %47 he's shooting form the arc is just window dressing.

shags
01-26-2008, 11:09 PM
The East All-Stars were pretty easy for me. The only way I can see that not being the team is if they decide that Bosh isn't a C. They should, because he plays half his minutes there and there isn't another deserving C in the Eastern Conference.

The West was much more difficult. Paul, Nash, and Nowitzki are locks. Amare, for me, gets in over Kaman and Camby because the Clippers stink and the Nuggets don't deserve 3 all-stars. Since there's 7 games separating the 1st and 10th place teams, I think each deserves an all-star if one is worthy, which is why I chose Roy, Boozer, and Davis. However, Jackson, Williams, Parker, Ginobili, Marion, Howard and West (along with Kaman and Camby) all have solid cases and are deserving.

bulldog
01-27-2008, 01:54 AM
The East All-Stars were pretty easy for me. The only way I can see that not being the team is if they decide that Bosh isn't a C.

According to the coaches' ballot you're allowed to put that at the position that "best serves the All-Star Team" or something like that, so Bosh almost certainly will be the "center."

Roy Munson
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM

To suggest that Stephen Jackson is one of the top 12 players in the west is ludicrous. He might be one of the top 30 or 40 players in the west, but that is not what the all-star game is about. It's about the top 12 players, and he's DEFINITELY not in that group.

Roy Munson
01-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Here's a way they could get more players in on the All-Star game, and fix all-star weekend:

Make it All-Star Week, with the following activities:

Tuesday: (two games) Atlantic Division All-Stars vs. Central Division All-Stars, and Northwest Divison All-Stars vs. Southwest Divison All-Stars.

Wednesday: (two games) Atlantic Divison All-Stars vs. Southeast Division All-Stars, and Northwest Division All-Stars vs. Pacific Division All-Stars.

Thursday: (two games) Central Division All-Stars vs. Southeast Division All-Stars, and Southwest Division All-Stars vs. Pacific Division All-Stars.

Friday: Have all the "junk events"...skills challenge, dunk contest, rookie-sophomore game.

Saturday: The best of the three Eastern All-Star teams vs. The best of the three Western All-Star teams. The teams that represent their conference in the Saturday game would the teams that did the best in the early-week round robin games. Any team going 2-0 in the round-robin would obviously be the winner of their pool. If all three teams in a pool go 1-1, then the winner would be determined by a tie-breaker system that could be: point differential, or a game of horse, or a three-point contest.

Benefits:

1) Every team would be required to have at least one player on their Division's all-star team.

2) 72 players would take part in the all-star tournament, not counting dunkers, three-point contestants, and rookie-soph gamers.

2) Event would be 5 days long and generate a LOT of interest and attention. Media would eat it up, and every NBA city would have someone there to root for.

Young
01-27-2008, 11:05 PM
To suggest that Stephen Jackson is one of the top 12 players in the west is ludicrous. He might be one of the top 30 or 40 players in the west, but that is not what the all-star game is about. It's about the top 12 players, and he's DEFINITELY not in that group.

As someone who couldn't stand Stephen when he was a Pacer I strongly disagree.

He is right on the line of being an all star. Even out West. He is pretty much just as important to the Warriors as Baron Davis is. Yes that's right I just said that. And if you wanna go by production his numbers are similar to the other top wing players in the conference.

Kofi
01-27-2008, 11:25 PM
A 40% shooter on an 8th seed isn't worthy of an All-Star team. That's just the facts of life boys and girls.

ajbry
01-28-2008, 12:07 AM
A 40% shooter on an 8th seed isn't worthy of an All-Star team. That's just the facts of life boys and girls.

On the surface, sure. In reality, nah.

Take into account that with Jack in the lineup, the Warriors went from 1-6 to winning the most games in the league (tied with the Celtics) since Jack returned. He's been on many journalists lists for MVP and All-Star consideration (and even DPOY, before Nellie ran him to shreds by playing him a ton of minutes). A Western Conference Player of the Week. One of a small number of players to average at least 20, 4, 4.

It's clear cut that although Steve may not be an All-Star, he's at the very least a viable candidate.

JayRedd
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
In the order of deservability...

East:

Truth
Tough Juice
Chauncey
CB4
Rip
Joe Johnson
Jamison

EDIT: After further deliberation, Hedo and RJ are out. Not sure what I was thinking. Must have been drinking.

West:

CP3
Nash
Booze
STAT
Dirk
Roy
DWest

This is unbelievably brutal. It's painful to leave off all of B. Dizzle, Camby, Manu, Frenchie and even Jack...but what Roy has done for Portland HAS TO get the kid to New Orleans. And here's to hoping coaches come to their senses and put the hometown David West in there for the city.

What does the kid win, Jose?

ajbry
01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
I can't believe that the most overrated player in the league got a spot over Marcus Camby. It's absurd.

I wouldn't want to be a team that plays the Warriors any time soon as well.

Jose Slaughter
01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Jay Redd - Since I have no idea who Tough Juice is... yes, it is sad that I'm that far out of touch, Jay either got them all right or missed 1.

Either way, Jay Redd is the All Star Reserves Selection Contest Winner Guy. Your check has already been lost in the mail, sorry.

Kofi -2
Shags -2

Cactus Jack -3
Rommie -3
kstat -3

Ajbry -5
Jose Slaughter -5

rexnom
02-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Tough Juice is the venerable Mr. Caron Butler.

Robertmto
02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
the east coaches got it all right except for one. Calderon should have made it over Joe Johnson

Kstat
02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Calderon gives up more offense than he creates. Joe Johnson is the do-everything for atlanta. He was very deserving.

Robertmto
02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Calderon gives up more offense than he creates. Joe Johnson is the do-everything for atlanta. He was very deserving.

Joe Johnson is great agreed, but have you SEEN Jose play point? He doesn't turn it over - at all. I dont think he can

Kstat
02-02-2008, 12:38 AM
He turns it over about as often as he makes a good defensive play.

Hailey12
02-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Joe Johnson is great agreed, but have you SEEN Jose play point? He doesn't turn it over - at all. I dont think he can

I think I remember a certain lob pass to Bosh in the final seconds of a playoff game that came up about 5 feet short that caused them to lose.

Robertmto
02-02-2008, 04:25 AM

as a Wizrd fan I'velearned to live thru that in the last few years

I think I remember a certain lob pass to Bosh in the final seconds of a playoff game that came up about 5 feet short that caused them to lose.

I still say RJ just made a great play on the ball...

Jose Slaughter
02-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Yes, & defense is very important in an All Star game.

I hope the East can hold the West under 130. If Jose played they might go off & score 140!

Kstat
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
the point is, calderon was hardly a no-brainer for the all-star game. His defense is terrible and it's not a secret.

JayRedd
02-02-2008, 01:45 PM
the point is, calderon was hardly a no-brainer for the all-star game. His defense is terrible and it's not a secret.

Nor is he close to being as good as Joe Johnson, Rip or Antwan, which are to me the only three players who weren't lead-pipe, bet-your-house, swear-on-your-mother's grave locks to be on the East roster.

Jose Slaughter
02-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I know its just a matter of opinion & we're not talking All Star starter or even the fact that Baron Davis got totally screwed.........

Calderon's Raptors are 25-21 while Johnson's Hawks are 18-24

Calderon's FG% numbers are .525, .444 on his 3's & .916 from the line. 8.7 to 1.57 on assist to TO numbers.

Johnson FG% numbers are .407, .350 on his 3's & .851 from the line. 5.3 to 2.62 on assist to TO numbers.

A shooting guard, shooting less than 41%, being an All Star? I would say, nope

I viewed Hamilton as a no-brainer, Jamison as borderline & didn't even have Johnson as a possibility.

JayRedd
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I know its just a matter of opinion & we're not talking All Star starter or even the fact that Baron Davis got totally screwed.........

Calderon's FG% numbers are .525, .444 on his 3's & .916 from the line. 8.7 to 1.57 on assist to TO numbers.

Johnson FG% numbers are .407, .350 on his 3's & .851 from the line. 5.3 to 2.62 on assist to TO numbers.

Well...for what it's worth, Chris Bosh was on TNT being interviewed by the Inside the NBA crew and when asked who he thought was unfairly left off the team, he said Hedo Turkulo.

Worth noting.

Kstat
02-02-2008, 02:00 PM

I viewed Hamilton as a no-brainer, Jamison as borderline & didn't even have Johnson as a possibility.

Again, all Calderon has to do is run the offense. Johnson has to BE the offense.

Jose Slaughter
02-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I disagree, but I'll leave it at that.